Date Matched 360/PS3 Worldwide Sales

YobRenoops

CAG Veteran
This is a matched lifetime WW sales for both the 360 and PS3. Figures are in millions and from both Sony's and Microsoft's corporate websites. These have been normalised so that the first Q4 for the 360 is Q4 2005 and the first Q4 for the PS3 is Q4 2006, making a level playing field.

Code:
[FONT=Courier New]Calendar Q    Q4      Q1      Q2      Q3      Q4       Q1      Q2      Q3      Q4      Q1      Q2      Q3      Q4
PS3           1.68    1.93    0.71    1.31    4.9      2.33    1.56    2.43                    
              1.68    3.61    4.32    5.63    10.53    12.86   14.42   16.85   21m?                
X360          1.5     1.7     1.8     1       4.4      0.5     0       1.8     5       1.3     1       2.2    
              1.5     3.2     5       6       10.4     10.9    10.9    12.7    17.7    19      20      22.2    28m?[/FONT]
Things to remember, the PS3 only lauched in the US/Japan in Q4 2006, Europe had to wait until Q2 2007. Also it seems that Microsoft lost loads of ground when the channel dried up early last year.

Again can I reiterate, these figures are their respective company's officially shipped corporate figures and not VGCHartzzz crap.

Links to corporate websites for figures:

Sony PS3: http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps3_sale_e.html

Microsoft X360: http://www.microsoft.com/msft/earnings/default.mspx
(You have to trawl through each quarters Earnings release to get the data so does take a while)

Last edited by a moderator:
Shipped numbers are crappy numbers. I prefer to see sold numbers. In the end this doesn't really matter as in the real world the Xbox 360 shipped a year earlier and based on the fact that a year older system outsold the youngster this past year the PS3 has a rough hill to climb. Hopefully the rumoured price drop happens and the PS3 gains some footing so that this "war" is a good one till the end of this generation.

But surely as the PS3 is about 4 million up on the 360 at a similar point in its life, at a higher price consistently during the lifetime of said console, this doesn't actually bode that well for the 360.

The issue is that the US is so skewed towards the 360, and with most gaming websites being US-based, that the reporting on this is skewed. You see NPD threads go up on European sites. Why would they care? It bears no relation to them.

It just makes me think that all this doom-and-gloom reporting on the PS3 is by people too blinkered to look outside of their own region. Yes its getting twatted in the US, but elsewhere its ahead, a year less sales, at almost twice the price.

[quote name='YobRenoops']But surely as the PS3 is about 4 million up on the 360 at a similar point in its life, at a higher price consistently during the lifetime of said console, this doesn't actually bode that well for the 360.

The issue is that the US is so skewed towards the 360, and with most gaming websites being US-based, that the reporting on this is skewed. You see NPD threads go up on European sites. Why would they care? It bears no relation to them.

It just makes me think that all this doom-and-gloom reporting on the PS3 is by people too blinkered to look outside of their own region. Yes its getting twatted in the US, but elsewhere its ahead, a year less sales, at almost twice the price.[/quote]

Let me put it this way. I was having a discussion with a co-worker a while back. After he finished his bachelors degree you told me he got his done before me. He was 23 when he finished it. I was 25. Thing is I am 28 right now. I told him it didn't matter because even though he is younger and reached certain point in his life at an earlier age (graduated college) I have already had my bachelors for 3 years. 2 years ago I could have scored a job with a bachelors requirement, he couldn't.

In the real world no one gives a shit about where something is in its lifecycle. They only look at where that something is now in comparison to everything else.

I don't disagree with your anecdote. I actually agree. It does break down a bit when you look at the trends behind the data, but still holds true.

My point is that the fact that the internet is so US-centric skews everything. Its a competely different story outside of the US but you don't hear that.

The US is one country, only 190 other ones to consider.

How many of these 360 vs. PS3 threads do we need? There's been probably at least 5 or 6 of them over the past month.

Just play the games you like on the console(s) you like and quit worrying about this fanboy nonsense.

Interesting.. always good to get different viewpoints on topics (though I wish anyone over the age of 12 would naturally consider this variable). I have a Wii and PS3 and I 'feel' like the Wii is resting on its laurels with its hardware success and getting 'creative' with software... which translates to I haven't bought a Wii game in 8 months, it's collecting dust, and I don't know when they'll ever release a game I'm interested in again. Competition is healthy and we all win with it.

[quote name='YobRenoops']But surely as the PS3 is about 4 million up on the 360 at a similar point in its life, at a higher price consistently during the lifetime of said console, this doesn't actually bode that well for the 360.
[/quote]
They can continue to ship ahead of LAST YEAR'S 360 numbers until the end of time, but back in the present, its getting the shit kicked out of it. You can rerun that scenario year after year and there is no winning under those circumstances. Japan is a non-factor since they dont care about home consoles anymore. Europe is not going to balance out the US, especially when PS3 is currently down 1 million there.

Lets talk about price drops - They have never changed the fortunes of a console. They only flex the existing trends. Just wait for the Saturn to drop to $299!

PS2 peaked in 2002. The first price drop was from $299 to $199 - just before E3 2002. At that point, it had already shipped 3 times as many worldwide as GC + XBOX put together. 2003 PS2 was down 25% year over year. Its been down every year ever since.

Gamecube dropped to $99 Sept 2003, 23 months after launch. It sold 60% of lifetime US sales (through May 07) at that price point. However, even with the price drop in full effect, Gamecube was down 30% from 2003 to 2004. Its been down ever since.

Japan is a non-factor since they dont care about home consoles anymore? first I've heard of this.

[quote name='near']Japan is a non-factor since they dont care about home consoles anymore? first I've heard of this.[/QUOTE]

Sales of consoles and console games are way down over their. Portables (especially the DS) are all the rage.

No moar PS3 vs. 360 threads! Everyone involved continues to regurgitate the same talking points, as it seems any changes in opinion have already made until data/facts/info appears to change things otherwise.

At the very earliest, we should not have another one of these threads until the summer when something new happens (i.e. price cuts, additional sales figures, etc).

I do appreciate the OP's efforts, however. Just came into the argument a few weeks too late. ;)

And the PS3 is doing fine, and continue to do so long as the exclusives coming out are AAA quality. Sure -- it won't sell as many games or consoles given the current economic situation, but it will move off the shelves at a good clip.

This is stupid. Negating the Xbox 360's biggest sales advantage this gen (launching early) means nothing for real world figures, performance, standing, or quality of the PS3.

PS3 is third. Deal with it. Doesn't mean you can't like it any less.

Look if you like the PS3 then play PS3 games if you like Xbox play Xbox games and if you like Wii or DS or PSP or PS2 or GC or Xbox, there is a wide variety of games to play and quite frankly you gotta find some kind of console that you like to play and everyone stop this fanboy nonsense just play games it doesnt matter what you play them on.

bread's done
Back