Dave Chappelle In South African Mental Institution

It's BS. I bet the First Episode of the new season will have Chappelle in an institution screaming, "I got you bitches, AHAAHAHAHA!"

i saw on entertainment tonight last night that its doubtful the show will come back, except for the episodes he already filmed

why would you go to South Africa Mental Institution. Just go to one here in the states where no one knows you like in a small town in South Dakota or Nebraska, Montana etc. or even down south.

It can't be a publicity stunt - Comedy Central stands to lose millions by not having the show premiere during sweeps (the all important period where show advertising rates are set).

[quote name='Graystone']why would you go to South Africa Mental Institution. Just go to one here in the states where no one knows you like in a small town in South Dakota or Nebraska, Montana etc. or even down south.[/QUOTE]

you think we dont have tvs in the south or something? we're not a bunch of hicks running around in overalls, barefooted, living in lean-to's and killing squirrels for food.

[quote name='Cracka']you think we dont have tvs in the south or something? we're not a bunch of hicks running around in overalls, barefooted, living in lean-to's and killing squirrels for food.[/QUOTE]

Coulda fooled me.....I'm terrified of traveling through Alabama ever again.....

It was like a combination of Deliverance and going back in time 100 years.....

*shudder*

[quote name='Cracka']you think we dont have tvs in the south or something? we're not a bunch of hicks running around in overalls, barefooted, living in lean-to's and killing squirrels for food.[/QUOTE]

Y'all did vote for Bush, the 10 commandments in courthouses, and creationism is coming back in a big way.

So in answer to your question, yes.

Well, I was talking to someone from the south and they claimed they really did eat possum. That pretty much makes up for all the other hick things you don't do.

(yes I'm joking about the hick thing, though ya gotta admit the possum thing really does fit the stereotype, I never imagined anyone, in this day and age and in our culture, would even consider a possum as a possible food item)

edit: when I saw you're from missisippi I started thinking of all the things I know about missississippi (up north the only thing we know about mississippi and alabama involve lynchings, bombings, klan rallys and other things concerning racism)

What was that folksingers name who sang the song that went "mississippi find yourself another country to be part of", which was about all the racist attacks that were occuring against blacks at the time? I think it's something along the line of phil ol..... (I lose it at that point). He wrote it during the civil rights movement I believe. He also sang "when I'm gone".

[quote name='camoor']Y'all did vote for Bush, the 10 commandments in courthouses, and creationism is coming back in a big way.

So in answer to your question, yes.[/QUOTE]

he asked if you think they don't have tv's, you really think the south doesn't have tv's? Where do you think all the jerry springer guests come from (ya ya, I know, it's hard not to when there are so many ways to amuse myself)?

[quote name='alonzomourning23']he asked if you think they don't have tv's, you really think the south doesn't have tv's? Where do you think all the jerry springer guests come from (ya ya, I know, it's hard not to when there are so many ways to amuse myself)?[/QUOTE]
Except the Jerry Springer show pretty much proves that they don't have TVs: If your wife says to you, "Honey, how would you like to go on a little TV show named Jerry Springer? Its nothing important, it'll be fun!", what person in their right mind would agree to go? Unless, of course - they don't have a TV and don't know what the Jerry Springer show is.

Or the whole show is fake, but I seriously doubt that.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']he asked if you think they don't have tv's, you really think the south doesn't have tv's? Where do you think all the jerry springer guests come from (ya ya, I know, it's hard not to when there are so many ways to amuse myself)?[/QUOTE]
What's kinda sad is even Jerry Springer acknowleges that. Watch the show on Vh1 called when Jerry Springer ruled the world.

[quote name='Drocket']Except the Jerry Springer show pretty much proves that they don't have TVs: If your wife says to you, "Honey, how would you like to go on a little TV show named Jerry Springer? Its nothing important, it'll be fun!", what person in their right mind would agree to go? Unless, of course - they don't have a TV and don't know what the Jerry Springer show is.

Or the whole show is fake, but I seriously doubt that.[/QUOTE]

It used to be interesting when they had klan members on it, but they started dealing more and more with jealous lovers, and I haven't watched it in maybe 10 years. When I watched it they still presented it as a halfway respectable talk show (well, not that any are that respectable), and the stage looked normal, not like a back alley. You used to have to wait till the people got on stage to see what kinda show it was.

I feel bad for springer sometimes though, the guy is really smart and could do a much, much better show, it's just he knows he gets paid more where he is. I remember watching a biography on him once and someone said to him "oh I'm sorry, but I don't watch your show", he responded with "that's alright, I wouldn't talk to anyone who watched my show anyway"

I remember an interview with him when he was complaining about the people that would be in the audience. Apparently, lots of the clothes that the guests wear come from crew members from the show (they bring in stuff they don't want anymore for wardrobe and a probable tax writeoff). Apparently Jerry's had a few of his own clothes been worn on the show by guests only to be mocked by audience members.

Shame about Dave Chapelle, though. If he doesn't make any more episodes they'll have to make the rest of Season 3 clip shows. Chapelle's Show 3x08 - The Best of Chapelle's Show's Clip Shows.

[quote name='anonymouswhoami']It can't be a publicity stunt - Comedy Central stands to lose millions by not having the show premiere during sweeps (the all important period where show advertising rates are set).[/QUOTE]

Not so. Check out this article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050512/ap_en_tv/tv_chappelle_s_gone

Here's a couple of snippets:

Industry experts say Comedy Central doesn't sell advertising on a show-by-show basis; advertisers buy spots for the whole network and they are rotated into different series. That means there wouldn't be an immediate financial hit from losing "Chappelle's Show" like there would be if ABC suddenly lost "Desperate Housewives."

If Chappelle doesn't return, it also doesn't necessarily mean Comedy Central is on the hook for a huge contract: part of his big-money deal is based on expected sales of future DVDs, according to industry reports.

At Comedy Central, they're looking to weather the storm but not from a position of weakness: the network's ratings are higher than ever, even without new shows from Chappelle.

Aaron Cohen, director of broadcasting for the ad-buying firm Horizon Media, said Comedy Central appeared to have several strong shows in development. They include programs featuring Stephen Colbert of "The Daily Show," Adam Carolla and D.L. Hughley.

"I don't think they will lose money," Cohen said. "The only economic impact would be if the ratings of the whole network went down and if all of their development would go into the tank so they're not building anymore. I don't see that."

Gerbrandt said one of the most important roles of "Chappelle's Show" for Comedy Central is to build interest in other network programming. It's similar to how "Grey's Anatomy" has become a hit for ABC in part because it follows the successful "Desperate Housewives" in the Sunday night lineup.

"It doesn't break them financially, but it's a big setback for them from a programming strategy standpoint," he said. "Because you build on your hits."

Geez, maybe I should've just posted the article...

Agh! Forget it, I'm going to bed.

haha i remember that, but what did you think? No normally sane person could come up with the material he has on his show.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Well, I was talking to someone from the south and they claimed they really did eat possum. That pretty much makes up for all the other hick things you don't do.[/QUOTE]

First of all, as someone from the south, I feel I should mention that it's spelt opossum, not just possum. Possums live in Australia.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']What was that folksingers name who sang the song that went "mississippi find yourself another country to be part of", which was about all the racist attacks that were occuring against blacks at the time? I think it's something along the line of phil ol..... (I lose it at that point). He wrote it during the civil rights movement I believe. He also sang "when I'm gone".[/QUOTE]

That would be Phil Ochs.

Anway, to be slightly more on topic... I think it'd be awesome if he was insane or something. Insane people rule. Always talkin' about how the sharks are gonna be this year, and bicycles and stuff.

Just scooped up season 1 and can't wait for season 2 on DVD! MmmmmMmmmm BIATCH!
But, I too hope this is just a stunt.

he got hooked on crack during those tyrone biggum sketches. they never knew he was using real crack in the sketches...

alot of comedians have some kind of depression or anxiety disorder..usually they're bipolar and addicted to drugs. Just about every great, famous comedian you can think of has gone through some kind of falling out...except maybe Jerry seinfeld, but he's just funny for acting like a very stereotypical jew (relax pc folks, i'm jewish too. just kidding)

anyway, a lot of them don't make it, like Farley and Belushi, so i'm glad chapelle had the sense to check himself in.

:rofl:

you said it not him

:rofl:

They had an article about this alleged admittance to an institution in our local paper this morning. They said that the release date of the latest season would be pushed back, but has anyone noticed a push-back ont he Chappelle commercials? I was watching Friday Night Stand Up briefly last night, and I didn't notice a change in the release date on TV. Then again, I don't remember much about what happened last night, so.

nah the problem with dave was he snapped under all the pressure of having to come up with another hit and having things done on time.i heard that he was also having writers block so that combination and hes a chronic weed head not crack like some people state might have just pushed him over the edge i hope this is just a stunt if not i hope he comes out alright and ends up finishing the show.
inside info my friends bro works for the show and he told me he filmed a episode were eminem was like the co host and that it was a funny as episode so hopefully this one sees the light of day

Maybe its a Roots thing, not to insult or stereotype but maybe he just needed to get away from things for a bit...

It's personel and his business. Also might be media, who knows. I'm chinese and I have no plans on going to China to get in touch, and I know a lot of mexicans who have no plans to ever go to mexico to get in touch with their country. They were born here. Oh well, I really don't care. From what i've heard it might be a case of somone not being able to handle sudden fame, and money. Probably mostly fame. Like him walking out on that comedy stand up a while back. Just hope he works it out and comes back, he has a good show. And i've enjoyed his comedy since well before the show.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash1.htm

COMEDY CHAPPELLE SPEAKS: WHAT I DID FOR $50 MILLION
Sat May 14 2005 19:48:54 ET

**Exclusive**

Dave Chappelle Found! Talks Exclusively with TIME Magazine in South Africa

"I figured, Let me just cut myself off from everybody, take a minute and pull a Flintstone-stop a speeding car by using my feet as the brakes. I am surprised at what I would do for $50 million. I am surprised at what people around me would do for me to have $50 million," Dave Chappelle tells TIME's Christopher John Farley in an exclusive interview.

CHAPPELLE tells TIME he's not in mental hospital or drug rehab, debunking earlier reports in ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY and elsewhere.

The full story, as well as exclusive photos of Chappelle in South Africa, will appear on TIME.com Sunday morning and in the issue that hits newsstands Monday.

Developing...

Same thing I posted above, but it's probably better to actually quote the article in the thread.

It seems like he's questioning his motives for doing the show now for the past couple years. If he does stop, at least we know in the end he didn't completely care about the money.

[quote name='camoor']Y'all did vote for Bush, the 10 commandments in courthouses, and creationism is coming back in a big way.

So in answer to your question, yes.[/QUOTE]

you just killed yourself. Isn't Y'all a texan word? ha. Southerner.

People can be in a mental institution without going crazy, since most people there usually appear normal (they did a study where they put a bunch of normal people into an institution, on average it took a week and a half for the institution to release them). He may appear normal most of the time, but still benefit from this.

Wow. How much stress can he really be under? The guy is getting $50 million a year to do what, 13 half-hour episodes? C'mon. Comedy Central really made this guy a hit, before he was the 'black guy' from Half-Baked. Get over yourself.

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1061418,00.html

"There were things that overwhelmed me," he says. "But not in the way that people are saying. I haven't spent any of the money. All that stuff about partying and taking crack is not true. Why do I live on a farm in Ohio? To support my partying lifestyle?"

The problems, he says, started with his inner circle."If you don't have the right people around you and you're moving at a million miles an hour you can lose yourself," he says. "Everyone around me says, 'You're a genius!'; 'You're great!'; 'That's your voice!' But I'm not sure that they're right." And he stresses that Comedy Central was not part of the problem and put no more than normal television restrictions on what he could do.

"You got to be careful of the company you keep," Chappelle says. "It's hard to know how much to say. One of the things that happens when people make the leap from a certain amount of money to tens of millions of dollars is that the people around you dramatically change.

"During my ascent, I've seen other people go through that wall to become really big. They always said that fame didn't change them but that it changes the people around them. You always hear that but you never really understand it. But now that I'm there that makes a lot of sense and I'm learning what that means. You have to have people around you that you can trust and aren't just out for a meal ticket."

[quote name='gizmogc']Wow. How much stress can he really be under? The guy is getting $50 million a year to do what, 13 half-hour episodes? C'mon. Comedy Central really made this guy a hit, before he was the 'black guy' from Half-Baked. Get over yourself.[/QUOTE]

Ya, because we know all ya need is money for a good life :roll: .

[quote name='D_s']you just killed yourself. Isn't Y'all a texan word? ha. Southerner.[/QUOTE]

I'm in DC. Maybe the sudden influx of stupidity has finally started to affect my speech patterns.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Well, I was talking to someone from the south and they claimed they really did eat possum. That pretty much makes up for all the other hick things you don't do.

(yes I'm joking about the hick thing, though ya gotta admit the possum thing really does fit the stereotype, I never imagined anyone, in this day and age and in our culture, would even consider a possum as a possible food item)

edit: when I saw you're from missisippi I started thinking of all the things I know about missississippi (up north the only thing we know about mississippi and alabama involve lynchings, bombings, klan rallys and other things concerning racism)

What was that folksingers name who sang the song that went "mississippi find yourself another country to be part of", which was about all the racist attacks that were occuring against blacks at the time? I think it's something along the line of phil ol..... (I lose it at that point). He wrote it during the civil rights movement I believe. He also sang "when I'm gone".[/QUOTE]
such stereotypes....i was born and raised in Georgia by the grace of God...You know Georgia? The one Ray Charles sang that was on his mind? Dont think he sang Montana, Iowa, or New(cesspool of a city)York...Ive been all around these States and no one has better hospitality, food, or girls than the south. Anyone who says otherwise hasnt been here for any length of time ...You city types can have your cramped little apartments and be afraid to walk the streets at night....I'll take the clean air and the six acres of land that i can watch my children play on....Dman yankees never know what they are missing..

[quote name='claydawg96']such stereotypes....i was born and raised in Georgia by the grace of God...You know Georgia? The one Ray Charles sang that was on his mind? Dont think he sang Montana, Iowa, or New(cesspool of a city)York...Ive been all around these States and no one has better hospitality, food, or girls than the south. Anyone who says otherwise hasnt been here for any length of time ...You city types can have your cramped little apartments and be afraid to walk the streets at night....I'll take the clean air and the six acres of land that i can watch my children play on....Dman yankees never know what they are missing..[/QUOTE]

I love the fact that you berate people for using southern stereotypes and then proceed to go on a tirade of northern stereotypes. I'm originally from upstate NY and I'll venture a guess that where I'm from is more rural than where you live. The North isn't all just a bunch of cities.

bread's done
Back