"Day One Buys" for 2009

At this point nothing is a guaranteed day 1 buy. It seems like new releases keep dropping in price faster and faster. I remember when it used to take a good 6-9 months to see a game drop from its initial release price, now we are seeing games drop from $60 to $40 within just a few weeks of release.

There is very little incentive to buying on day 1 for anything close to full price.

Very few I think.

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection or whatever is one.
Killzone 2 is another.
Trine, Flower, and the next PixelJunk game.
White Knight Chronicles
Heavy Rain

Everything else I can wait on for a bit, or a small wait.

[quote name='lordwow']Ah ya, the sonic collection at $30 is a steal too.[/quote]
That's the only reason it's day 1.
If it were more, I'd wait. :)

Starcraft 2
God of War 3
Pokemon Platinum

Possibly:
Empire Total War
Chronicles of Riddick: AoDA
Uncharted 2
Call of Duty
Splinter Cell

Off the top of my head, SF IV, Skate 2, and Uncharted 2.

Possibly God of War 3, COD 6, and the Genesis collection. Also Ghostbusters if it turns out to be good.

The first parties and the big 3rd parties arent hurting for your launch day dollar. Those should be the first purchases to be delayed. Start with the small fish and move your way up.

Well, since nothing is coming out January, that does give me some room to save up for the onslaught for February and March eh? I won't go past those first three months though, I'm not sure how the rest of the year is going to play out. :D

February:

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Ys Book I + II
House of the Dead: Overkill

March:

Madworld
Suikoden: Tierkries

Everything else I'll keep a keen eye on for reviews and people's impressions and see if it has the potential for a price drop.

[quote name='Maklershed']What about those of us who buy games for our enjoyment and not the bottom lines of corporations?[/QUOTE]

You're killing the industry.

Why don't you love Tim Schafer back? He loves you.

Street Fighter IV
God of War 3
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (if that is what the release actually is)
Killzone 2
Bioshock 2

God of War 3. If it's anything like its predecessors I will be in heaven.

Team ICO 3. If it can keep up the beautiful spirit of the last 2 games, I will be in heaven x 2.

Uncharted 2 - I will get it if it actually improves on the gameplay. Loved the last game, but if it's more of the same I'll just play the original and wait for a massive price drop.

I'm not avoiding new IPs or anything, but I need reviews and gamer impressions first and foremost.

The only game I can say I'll buy for certain on day one is NBA 2K10.

The only other games I'll likely pick up on day one will be any collector/limited editions, although i can't think of any off the top of my head that I'm interested in.

I'm determined to no longer purchase games until I'm actually going to play them and after I finish up my backlog, regardless of the price.*

* Granted, this policy will likely be violated and thrown out the window by February, but for the moment it's what I'm planning on doing, even if failure is the ultimate result.

[quote name='DarthPuma']Street Fighter IV CE
Skate 2
And there are various PSN games that I will get through gamesharing day one.[/quote]

I don't post here often, but is that the Jittery Joe's elephant in your avatar?

Also, Resident Evil 5 is probably the only day one buy, but maybe MLB 09 The Show.

Resident Evil 5.
Bioshock 2
Edgeworth
Pokemon platinum
Dude Raider 2: Among Thieves
Bayonetta if it hits in 09

[quote name='Krams706']I don't post here often, but is that the Jittery Joe's elephant in your avatar?

Also, Resident Evil 5 is probably the only day one buy, but maybe MLB 09 The Show.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is.

[quote name='DarthPuma']Yes it is.[/quote]

Word, that's awesome.

I forgot about Killzone 2 and GOW III. Probably first week, if not day, buys for me.

Definite Day 1 Buys
Uncharted 2

Probable Day 1 Buys
Resident Evil 5 (The more I hear, the less I'm hyped)
Street Fighter IV
Halo 3: ODST
God of War III (Only probably because I think it hits 2010)
Ratchet & Clank Future 2

Other games
- Final Fantasy XIII: This is not hitting NA in 2009, stop fooling yourselves people, especially Europeans (Which will probably hit in 2011 for them)
- Punch-Out: I need to see more
- Call of Duty 6: It'll be $40 or less the week before Christmas just like the last 2
- Madworld: Not entirely sure
- Bioshock 2: This shouldn't even be made

Not entirely sure but i'll start with January. I might get LOTR Conquest day one or wait a week or so and see if it goes down in price (doubt it will though as it's EA).

Outrun on XBLA is also day one for me too.

Skate 2
Street Fighter IV
Bionic Commando
Resident Evil 5
Final Fantasy XIII

I usually buy RPGs on day one, but besides FFXIII I can't think of any that I'm excited about. Maybe Star Ocean 4 is a day one but I'll wait and see since I hated SO3. Also I'm excited about Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2, but I don't know if it'll be a day one.

Maybe Killzone 2 if it pans out.

Call of Duty Modern Combat II. Even if I prolly will like CoD5 more as I did with CoD4. Love them older wood and metal guns. CODMC2 still'll be worth $60 to me. (Or $40 as it seems to drop to within a month)

Diablo 3.

Street Fighter IV looks awesome but not sure if I wanna pay $60 for it yet.

Can't think of anything else.

Day 1:

Resident Evil 5
MLB 09: The Show
Uncharted 2
Puzzle Quest: Galatrix
Miles Edgeworth: Perfect Prosecutor

Day 2:

Killzone 2 (The hype is enormous, but after the first one's faults, I will be waiting for impressions before leaping blindly).
Suikoden Tierkreis (I love the series, but I am anxious to see how the transition to handheld will be. Impressions will be needed).

Also, God of War III would be Day 1 for me, but I do not see that coming out in 09.

SFIV CE (pre-ordered, PS3)
Killzone 2 (waiting to see if there's a CE or LE)
God of War III (don't care if CE or LE, i just want to play!)
FFXIII (i don't think it will be released this year, definitely 2010)
Uncharted 2 (i don't think it's this year though)
Resident Evil 5 (not sure CE yet, if PS3 got no trophy, then Xbox)

Nothing for the Xbox... Unless Gears of War 3 :)

Probably MadWorld [Wii], BioShock 2[PC], maybe Tenchu 4[Wii], Rygar [Wii] Oneechambra: Bikini Zombie Slayers [Wii] or Little King Story [Wii]. I usually only buy 3 day 1 releases per year, and those are the games I'm waiting for a lot.

A lot of the games that I really want are coming out in March and April (The Conduit, MadWorld, Punch-Out... even House of the Dead and Fire Emblem are in February). This is Bad Shit for me 'cause in late April/early May I head out to work and won't have contact with videogames for the next three months at least.

So I figure some things that would be day one will slip down to "when I get back to Saskatoon at the beginning of September".

On the plus side, the summer gaming drought is easy as piss to endure when you're living in the bush for the whole damn thing.

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']Got any games in mind that you know you're destined to buy when it launches?[/quote]

Very likely RE V, not sure otherwise, but it'll come to me...

This is leaning very heavily towards Q1 titles. There are a lot of titles that are sitting out there with "TBA 2009" release dates that aren't getting any love at all. The Beatles, Dues Ex 3, I Am Alive, Dante's Inferno, Burnout Next, Doom 4, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, Half-Life 2 Episode 3 and a few other major titles haven't even appeared yet. Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake, Splinter Cell, Halo ODST and Bioshock look was under represented and there are a ton of other titles I would expect at least one person to pick. There's also the fuzzy titles like Peach Wii and Zelda Wii that people say are coming that haven't even been announced yet.

Looking at all of the above it seems like its too early for a full year 2009 list yet.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
NHL 2010

I can wait a couple of weeks (to get a better deal) for anything else that interests me.

Looks like it'll only be Street Fighter IV and Tekken 6 this year, everything else will be a "wait till a price drop" buy.

bread's done
Back