DAYUM...Xenosaga Episode II...70-something% on Gamerankings...

a lot of people hated the first one... you just have to keep in mind some people hate storylines and just want fast action... rpgs arent everyones thing

I'm still preordering it like I did the first one, so whatever.

What pisses me off is that Xenogears got a 91.1%, and there hasn't been another xeno game to do that well yet, or even better. I mean come on, disk 2 of Xenogears was GARBAGE, GARBAGE!!!! And it STILL beat Xenosaga I and II.

[quote name='Rabid Mammal Wax']I'm still preordering it like I did the first one, so whatever.

What pisses me off is that Xenogears got a 91.1%, and there hasn't been another xeno game to do that well yet, or even better. I mean come on, disk 2 of Xenogears was GARBAGE, GARBAGE!!!! And it STILL beat Xenosaga I and II.[/quote]

So why are you preordering again...

I really didn't like the first game, and this game looks to be even worse. I will probably pick it up though when it hits the $20 mark.

rpgs tend to get really bad scores this gen, dosent mean anything, ive totally stopped listening to reviews altogether for rpgs, i just check them out for a good laugh ^^

I'll go play Grandia 2 again...just like when the first part came out, i played Grandia 2 to wash the bad taste from my mouth (yes...i ate the disk)

The pure RPGs this generation have been lackluster, that's why the reviews have been low.

Barely any new RPGs are half as fun as Chrono Cross or Breath of Fire IV.

I might get this when it drops in price, the first is decent, if not repetitive.

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']The pure RPGs this generation have been lackluster, that's why the reviews have been low.

I might get this when it drops in price, the first is decent, if not repetitive.[/quote]

.... What the bloody hell is wrong with you? Comparing good rpgs to that bastard hell spawn chrono crap... Its not one fifth the game Chrono Trigger was...

[quote name='Kayden']
.... What the bloody hell is wrong with you? Comparing good rpgs to that bastard hell spawn chrono crap... Its not one fifth the game Chrono Trigger was...[/quote]

I enjoyed Cross more than Trigger, although I really liked both games. Nothing is wrong with me, I just know what I like.

[quote name='Rabid Mammal Wax']I'm still preordering it like I did the first one, so whatever.

What pisses me off is that Xenogears got a 91.1%, and there hasn't been another xeno game to do that well yet, or even better. I mean come on, disk 2 of Xenogears was GARBAGE, GARBAGE!!!! And it STILL beat Xenosaga I and II.[/quote]

Most of disk 1 was garbage. Disk 2 got down to the real story telling, it just did it rather concisely. Xenogears was a complete piece of shit until Billy Lee Black came into the picture, then the rest of the game rocked out hardcore.

Xenosaga didn't deserve to beat Xenogears in score. Xenosaga was more of a movie than a game, and the lack of gears' importance in battles made most of them less fun, IMO. Also, Xenogears had a good start and a good finish, though, as I said, there were some questionable areas in the middle. Xenosaga didn't feel like a completed game. The ending was incredibly poor.

I hear Xenosaga 2 not nearly as good as Xenosaga 1.

[quote name='Kayden']a lot of people hated the first one... you just have to keep in mind some people hate storylines and just want fast action... rpgs arent everyones thing[/quote]RPGs are my thing.

My only requirement is that I get to interact with them.

Xenosaga obviously would rather I sit and stare at its anime-CG cutscenes and panty shots of a cyborg that looks like a 12-year-old girl than actually, ya know, play it.

In short, Xenosaga was a pile of steaming shit, and it doesn't surprise me a bit that 2 is getting bad scores.

Strangly enough the character designs have been changed to not look childlike anymore and the average rating has dropped so apparently it did have some effect on people.

I wonder if Monolith and Namco will continue to play out the planned six-part series after XS Ep. II sells terribly, which I'm certain it will.

LOL@Wshakspear

Mines Preordered, and once it comes out will see how it fares, personally i just love the fact that xenogears is continuing on and getting a more fleshed out story with the saga series.

The only credible reviews on there are RPGfan which gave it an 8.8 and EGM which was a 7, and EGM also gave the first a 7.5 which isn't that much higher. Way to really jump the gun on this, can you guys really not learn to think for yourselves? Is it really so difficult? Most of these comments are so rediculous that it is pathetic.

I picked this game up at the local pawn shop for $5. Haven't played it, and I don't think I will have the time anytime soon...

It's all about preference. I liked Xenosaga I but I did not like Star Ocean 2 or Suikoden 4. It does not mean that they are terrible games, but they are just not for me.

It's the same for Xenosaga. Some people will like it and others won't. Think for yourselves and everything will be alright.

[quote name='Rig']I picked this game up at the local pawn shop for $5. Haven't played it, and I don't think I will have the time anytime soon...[/quote]

I or II?

are they gonna even finish the entire xenosaga episodes (6 in total they were planning) on ps2? It took them like 2 yrs to come up with the 2nd episode. At this rate, it's gonna take like 8 yrs to finish it off...

[quote name='xzafixz']The only credible reviews on there are RPGfan which gave it an 8.8 and EGM which was a 7, and EGM also gave the first a 7.5 which isn't that much higher. Way to really jump the gun on this, can you guys really not learn to think for yourselves? Is it really so difficult? Most of these comments are so rediculous that it is pathetic.[/quote]

And that's why girls are smarter than boys.

Dave

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']The pure RPGs this generation have been lackluster, that's why the reviews have been low.

I might get this when it drops in price, the first is decent, if not repetitive.[/quote]

while ill admit quality is down this gen, its not reflective of the scores...the only games that rank well are either extremely mainstream (kingdom hearts) or extrealmy obscure (disgeia)

great games like arc the lad, suiko4, front mission 4, legaia 2, Tsugunai, and Unlimited Saga all got blasted in the reviews, despite being very good and fun games, imo.

when i said quality is down, i did not mean game quality, i ment quantity of quality. on ps1 there were a TON of great rpgs, there are still great rpgs on ps2, just not in such large numbers

1. On a scale of 1 to 10, a score of 5 usually means "ok", "fair" or "mediocre". Know what that means? That means a score in the 7's equals "good" or "very good" if not "great" or "awesome".

Anyone who's still interpreting a score of 7.something to mean the game sucks, PULL YOUR HEAD OUT.

2. The only thing all the contrasting OPINIONS in this thread prove is that when it comes to RPGs, how much you will like them is highly subjective. Someone mentioned Grandia and Chrono Cross earlier.... personally I think those are two of the worst RPG series ever made and I'd rather club myself in the head with a spiked mace for 2 hours then play either of them again. But you know what? That's just my opinion, and I'm not going to go around stating it like its some provable law of nature that everyone else must acknowledge and accept. So cut it out.

3. The ONLY time you should take a review seriously, especially when it comes to RPGs, is if you know the particular editor/reviewer has similar tastes to you. Many reviewers don't even like rpgs and they get stuck reviewing one, and then it becomes painfully obvious in the content of their writing that it could've been the greatest rpg ever made and it wouldn't get an 8 or 9. This applies to other types of games as well, but seems to happen most to RPGs.

[quote name='Hereticked']1. On a scale of 1 to 10, a score of 5 usually means "ok", "fair" or "mediocre". Know what that means? That means a score in the 7's equals "good" or "very good" if not "great" or "awesome".

Anyone who's still interpreting a score of 7.something to mean the game sucks, PULL YOUR HEAD OUT.

2. The only thing all the contrasting OPINIONS in this thread prove is that when it comes to RPGs, how much you will like them is highly subjective. Someone mentioned Grandia and Chrono Cross earlier.... personally I think those are two of the worst RPG series ever made and I'd rather club myself in the head with a spiked mace for 2 hours then play either of them again. But you know what? That's just my opinion, and I'm not going to go around stating it like its some provable law of nature that everyone else must acknowledge and accept. So cut it out.

3. The ONLY time you should take a review seriously, especially when it comes to RPGs, is if you know the particular editor/reviewer has similar tastes to you. Many reviewers don't even like rpgs and they get stuck reviewing one, and then it becomes painfully obvious in the content of their writing that it could've been the greatest rpg ever made and it wouldn't get an 8 or 9. This applies to other types of games as well, but seems to happen most to RPGs.[/quote]

I agree I think it's mags like EGM which pioneered the whole "anything under 8 isnt worth your money" attitude. The 7's this game is getting is probably because they believe you need to have played the first game to be able to get into the second seeing as it's supposed to start directly after the final scene in the first.

The game, while it's probably quite self contained, might be taking a hit from that whole 'continuing epic' thing. I have to wonder if .Hack had to deal with the same drop in scores (I was waiting for a collected edition so I never watched the scores after the first game). Plus the drastic change in character designs (which would be fine if they were completly different characters but they're morphing the characters in general from stylized Anime characters into bigger almost Photorealistic people) which breaks the continuity.

Ass for the 6 game arc I seriously doubt the entire thing will play out on PS2, maybe Episode 3 will but 4-6 will probably be PS3 bound.

Well the reason people don't spend 50$ on a 7 is because they feel they could be paying full price for something better.

If I got Xenosaga for 20$ and I felt like it was a 6 or 7, I wouldn't feel so bad.

And punqsux, you listed some good games, but I was referring to pure menu-based RPGs, Front Mission is an SRPG, I think Arc the Lad is also (or at least it was on PSone).

I figure that this game would be enjoyable to anyone that liked the first Xenosaga. I intend to buy both of these games some day but just like a true CAG, I will wait until the best possible deal to get them :)

[quote name='MadFlava']I figure that this game would be enjoyable to anyone that liked the first Xenosaga. I intend to buy both of these games some day but just like a true CAG, I will wait until the best possible deal to get them :)[/quote]

You can get XS 1 for about 15 bucks these days. A great price for a great RPG!

[quote name='camoor'][quote name='MadFlava']I figure that this game would be enjoyable to anyone that liked the first Xenosaga. I intend to buy both of these games some day but just like a true CAG, I will wait until the best possible deal to get them :)[/quote]

You can get XS 1 for about 15 bucks these days. A great price for a great RPG![/quote]

Down to $5 at K-mart if you find one still in stock.

Yeah..that Xenosaga was a love/hate relationship. For those guys bastardly obsessed with Xenogears from what ive noticed, they hated with. I played it, followed it on with Xenosaga, and found it interesting.

I found the story to be interesting. I can agree Namco made some wierd decisions in the layout of the game(where'd the in world music go? Oo) and length, but it was worth the $15 i put down(the graphics were SLICK for its time as well). ANd to be honest, nothing beats someone as damn sick and wrong as Albedo with his thing for little android girls~~My fave crazy villain in the last couple of years.

Ill give the game a shot. Wont hurt a bit.

... well IMO... i truly believe the game falls only to people who have a long attention span... like my life instantly, I enjoy watching movies, and more than likely to know more movies than I know about games even though I am a veteran in gaming... so concluding from people's comments and opinions about whether or not Xenosaga II is going to be a good game... just wait until you play it, don't judge it because of stupid RPGgamer or sumtin like that gives it a shit rating...

Games like Shinobi or Nightshade, they got poor ratings but i enjoyed every bit of the game... even though it may seem repetitive in terms of the "impossible"

[quote name='Eclipse']Yeah..that Xenosaga was a love/hate relationship. For those guys bastardly obsessed with Xenogears from what ive noticed, they hated with. I played it, followed it on with Xenosaga, and found it interesting.

I found the story to be interesting. I can agree Namco made some wierd decisions in the layout of the game(where'd the in world music go? Oo) and length, but it was worth the $15 i put down(the graphics were SLICK for its time as well). ANd to be honest, nothing beats someone as damn sick and wrong as Albedo with his thing for little android girls~~My fave crazy villain in the last couple of years.

Ill give the game a shot. Wont hurt a bit.[/quote]

Yeah, Jr was my favorite character. That little guy kicks a$$

I really enjoyed the 1st game, I am looking forward to the 2nd, but I will not spend 50 bucks like last time! this time I will wait for sale or trade etc.. my cheapass can hardly bring my self to spend 30.00(unless I HAVE to have it,I.E. RE 4 CE)

I wonder if xs2 is going to drop fast like the first one... I was surprised when xenosaga hit the 30 dollar mark after a couple of months. This is why I plan to just wait it out and see.

Gamepro said that fans of the first will think it is one of the best RPGs of this generation.

I still need to play the first, and will, after I finish FFX

[quote name='ValkyrieVF-1S']I wonder if xs2 is going to drop fast like the first one... I was surprised when xenosaga hit the 30 dollar mark after a couple of months. This is why I plan to just wait it out and see.[/quote]

it was well more than a couple months, it wasnt until early 2003 actully, almost a year after release that it dropped.

i remember this because thats when i got it, when eb dropped the PO price to $25

This sorta reminds me when IGN reviewed Crystal Chronicles and everyone went apeshit when they gave it something like a 7.5.

7.5 isn't bad kids. Infact, I'd trust a game that scores something reasonable like 7.5 than something crazy like a 9.9.

My guess is alot of these reviews are based solely on the game Xenosaga episode II rather than the entire series (which is usually the stick many fans will compare it to).

Its like saying Star Wars is complete shit after only watching Episode I. A work-in-progress series shouldn't be reviewed until all the pieces drop (Or atleast until the portions concerning the current roster ends).

bread's done
Back