DC Universe Online - $15 per month subscription

Ratchet & CAG

CAGiversary!
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1108657p1.html

I've never played a MMO or MMORPG, but I was looking forward to getting this game on the PS3.

This may sound like a newbie question but basically with the monthly subscription: If you don't pay, then you don't play?

I usually play a game for 1 or maybe 2 months at best before moving on to the next newest/hottest game. Not to mention my accumulating backlog of games. How long do people typically play MMO games?

Is a $15 per month subscription worth it?

Is it a month-to-month basis?

E32Tw.jpg

Yep if you don't pay, you don't play.

If the MMO is good or the person enjoys it, they can play it for years so long as it still has a large enough player base for it to remain enjoyable. If the MMO is not so good, like so many recent releases seem to have been, then most people buy the game and only play for the included free month before quitting.

Whether the $15/month is worth it is largely subjective. For example there are still folks playing the original Everquest, and it still receives expansion packs. For most folks though, going back to EQ's graphics and grind would be too much for them, and they wouldn't find it enjoyable. But for those who play it, it's their type of game. Basically, ask yourself "Is it fun?". With MMOs the gameplay AND the people you play with really make the game what it is. That's the reason why so many people play WoW since they've met a lot of the friends in the game, or they know friends who play, and get invited to play with them. It's also not unheard of for folks to keep their sub going just so they can login to chat with their guildmates and such as well.

The $15/month is on a month to month basis, and you get the first month free when purchasing the game. To entice people to subscribe for longer periods of time, they usually offer discounts such as $14/month every three months or $12/month for every 6 months. Some also offer "lifetime" subscriptions for something in the range of around $200, but that's usually only when they launch and it's a very risky purchase in the event that you end up not liking the game. That's all just an example off the top of my head, but the website for the game should have the information on what subscription options are available.

With DC Universe Online I advise you to wait several months for when Sony finally offers a free trial of the game. If you're ever unsure about a MMO, that is a good way to try the game out without having to shell out a bunch of money to purchase it upfront.

Hope that helped.

bread's done
Back