DC Universe Online $40 @ gamestop + subscription discounts $78 & $135

Enuf

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
maybe its just me, but it seems pretty stupid to buy a game and then pay a monthy fee to play it. I don't know. Maybe it's just me?

[quote name='jdangerc']maybe its just me, but it seems pretty stupid to buy a game and then pay a monthy fee to play it. I don't know. Maybe it's just me?[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of people have already agreed with you by not purchasing this game. At the very least, I think the developers will now realize that what works on the PC doesn't necessarily extend to consoles...

[quote name='jdangerc']maybe its just me, but it seems pretty stupid to buy a game and then pay a monthy fee to play it. I don't know. Maybe it's just me?[/QUOTE]
Nope our not only one. I dont like the idea of paying for a game once then paying them monthly on top of paying comcast for interwebz kinda fucking redundant to me.

[quote name='juden66']Nope our not only one. I dont like the idea of paying for a game once then paying them monthly on top of paying comcast for interwebz kinda fucking redundant to me.[/QUOTE]

While I dont disagree, I hate paying monthly fees be it subs to MMO's or Xbox live. The one differance being with games like this they have alot more of a lifespan then say a reg. game that takes 10 hours to beat. I try to think of monthly subs like payin for DLC, MMOs always be updating and adding new content. In regards to this deal, its not to bad, but I will wait to see how the game does in the next few months, dont want a APB type fiasco.

Wasn't there at one point a lifetime sub going for 200? Is that still going on? (I remember they were talking about how it wasn't available for purchase on PSN because it's 50 bucks over the wallet limit on PSN)

Meh.....i considered it, but if im gonna pay for a MMO, i'd rather go full out and just wait for FF14. (Doesnt it come out at the end of the month?)

I don't play games on pc but Isn't that how MMO's are? I assume that after buying WOW & the expansion pack your still paying over & over doesn't this support the servers?

crazedracerguy
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1145646p1.html
DCUO is the fastest selling SOE game at one point there was limited stock issues & PS3 had a slight edge in sales vs pc. The ? is can the offer compelling content once the free month is up.

Seems to me they shouldve offer bonuses to early adopters like buy a $50 psn card get an extra $10 towards DCUO or something that would keep interest peaked for a 3 month period that way ppl have faith & know what to expect for the long term.

You're not the only one. It's ridiculous.

Some kind of fee for games that maintain this same kind of persistent world like this is going to be necessary...you can't just use the same Peer 2 Peer model, and servers aren't exactly free. I'd fully expect to either have to put up with in-game advertising or be paying directly.

If the MMO is good enough, paying $15 a month isn't bad at all. When I was deep into World of Warcraft, any month I had a subscription active, that was all I played....I had no use for any other games at all. Is DCUO that good? That's debatable.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Meh.....i considered it, but if im gonna pay for a MMO, i'd rather go full out and just wait for FF14. (Doesnt it come out at the end of the month?)[/QUOTE]

If I've heard right that's been put on hold until they iron out the some of the problems with the game. I'd be surprised if it hit stores by the end of the year as it sounds like they're overhauling a lot of stuff.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Some kind of fee for games that maintain this same kind of persistent world like this is going to be necessary...you can't just use the same Peer 2 Peer model, and servers aren't exactly free. I'd fully expect to either have to put up with in-game advertising or be paying directly.

If the MMO is good enough, paying $15 a month isn't bad at all. When I was deep into World of Warcraft, any month I had a subscription active, that was all I played....I had no use for any other games at all. Is DCUO that good? That's debatable.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Paying a monthly fee for a game like this should be pretty much expected. You cannot honestly expect them to take massive losses while continuing to support the game. Now, of course, the questions becomes, will the game be worth sinking a long-term monetary commitment into? As someone else said, a lot of people already dropped DCUO, so in this particular case, it might seem like a waste.

And I don't necessarily agree with what someone said earlier about it being a console thing. The reality is DCUO is a ho-hum MMO. If someone drops an A+ MMO on a console, people will pay.

MMOs truly are one of the worst game 'investments' you are literally paying 50 to 60 dollars for 30 days with your game and then it turns into a coaster that has 0 resale value. People will argue that MMOs are better than regular games because they have an ongoing story but it's bull. Most MMO stories are barebones and repetitive, with new things to read.

With that said, MMOs can be fun but they are still a rip off from a long term perspective, given that they are pay to play. Especially the PS3 version of DC, because it costs 60 and you are literally buying a code, nothing more is necessary and you could throw the disc away because no one else but you can use it.

I've wasted more money than I'd like to admit on MMOs. To truly find enjoyment, you need to find an MMO that is well developed and that friends will play. DC is actually pretty fun but it doesn't have long term design ... it would actually make a decent single player game in many ways. It's too bad that its held back by the monthly fee and I would highly recommend it if you can get in for lower cost or if it ever switches to a free to play model. I definitely would not pay $60 for it though.

Games like WoW are the only MMOs that are kind of worth it, simply because they are so massive and well supported. But even WOW gets extremely boring after playing for a month or two. Other newer MMOs *cough*aion*cough* just feel like a total waste of money in retrospect.

You may get months and months of gameplay out of an MMO, but just remember 10 years from now, you can go back and re-experience a traditional game in your collection, but you can never do that with an MMO.

After playing the beta... I'd say it's got Free-to-Play status written all over it. A lot of the FTP w/ microtransactions MMO's are much better.

DCUO is pretty fun, and i happened to get in on the "3 months for $30" sub. Will i be renewing after those 3 months? Probably not. I really don't feel like my sub fee is going to where it needs to be with this game. I understand it's still new-ish, but some of the bugs that keep happening to me and my friends are just game-breaking. If it TRULY gets better (or at least adds a power-ring powers set) then i would probably come back. Otherwise, the sub fee just isn't worth it to me anymore.

There are aspects of DC I really enjoyed, the animated cutscenes after each villain takedown were great and the fact that you get powers right off the bat that are fun was refreshing, unlike Champions. Being able to see all the DC favorites was awesome too and I'm not even a DC guy. But I don't think the game will hold its own in the long term.

It would be a great game to come back to every so often, but as an MMO you can't really so that without feeling ripped off. If they do go over to the free micro transaction model, I might come back at that point.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Practically half the community who signed up for the free 30-day trial have since dropped out of the game and not renewed.[/QUOTE]

Really? What is your source for this info.? Oh yeah, your ass doesn't count as a source.

Four things are stopping me from getting this:

1. No resale value for the disc after it's been used by ONE person:puke:
2. Monthly fee
3. My shitty internet connection(768kbps DSL from Verizon:roll:)
4. Not knowing 100% if this is more like WOW for gameplay or a God Of War type button masher.

If it was a button masher and you didn't have to use mapped controls and wait for timed attacks to be over to use your next move, then I'd consider picking this up once it price drops a bit further($30) to play for a month or two.

But just going by what I saw when my one buddy was playing WOW if it's like that then I'd pass.

Those prices are the regular prices. There was a sale for 3 months for $30 but I doubt they'll bring it back soon.

[quote name='etcrane']MMOs truly are one of the worst game 'investments' you are literally paying 50 to 60 dollars for 30 days with your game and then it turns into a coaster that has 0 resale value. People will argue that MMOs are better than regular games because they have an ongoing story but it's bull. Most MMO stories are barebones and repetitive, with new things to read.

With that said, MMOs can be fun but they are still a rip off from a long term perspective, given that they are pay to play. Especially the PS3 version of DC, because it costs 60 and you are literally buying a code, nothing more is necessary and you could throw the disc away because no one else but you can use it.

I've wasted more money than I'd like to admit on MMOs. To truly find enjoyment, you need to find an MMO that is well developed and that friends will play. DC is actually pretty fun but it doesn't have long term design ... it would actually make a decent single player game in many ways. It's too bad that its held back by the monthly fee and I would highly recommend it if you can get in for lower cost or if it ever switches to a free to play model. I definitely would not pay $60 for it though.

Games like WoW are the only MMOs that are kind of worth it, simply because they are so massive and well supported. But even WOW gets extremely boring after playing for a month or two. Other newer MMOs *cough*aion*cough* just feel like a total waste of money in retrospect.

You may get months and months of gameplay out of an MMO, but just remember 10 years from now, you can go back and re-experience a traditional game in your collection, but you can never do that with an MMO.[/QUOTE]

WoW was the only MMO to get the concept right and make it accessible to all players of various skill levels. WoW did it so well that I believe the MMO genre is dead, you may see a few games out there that will sell a few million copies but they won't keep the subscribers simply because there are no original ideas in MMO's anymore. People just copy WoW update graphics a little bit and that's it. People who are sick of WoW buy it and says this game is amazing because it's "new." Three weeks later they realize it's WoW with a graphical skin and quit.

[quote name='Ogami Itto']Really? What is your source for this info.? Oh yeah, your ass doesn't count as a source.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much how every single non-WoW MMO has operated for the last 5-6 years. Shitload of sales initially, then people realize it sucks and never resubscribe. That's why these games never have trials or demos to test out. If they had a demo, no one would buy the games.

[quote name='Naramie']Pretty much how every single non-WoW MMO has operated for the last 5-6 years. Shitload of sales initially, then people realize it sucks and never resubscribe. That's why these games never have trials or demos to test out. If they had a demo, no one would buy the games.[/QUOTE]

still not a source or a link proving your statement. If you're going to say something like that at least have concrete evidence

as for the whiny crying babies, the reason why you wont pay is because you're all POOORZZZZ

BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAA

by the way, DCUO had a beta

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Four things are stopping me from getting this:

1. No resale value for the disc after it's been used by ONE person:puke:
2. Monthly fee
3. My shitty internet connection(768kbps DSL from Verizon:roll:)
4. Not knowing 100% if this is more like WOW for gameplay or a God Of War type button masher.

If it was a button masher and you didn't have to use mapped controls and wait for timed attacks to be over to use your next move, then I'd consider picking this up once it price drops a bit further($30) to play for a month or two.

But just going by what I saw when my one buddy was playing WOW if it's like that then I'd pass.[/QUOTE]

This is definitely an action MMO, you still have to wait a bit for super powers to recharge, so you aren't constantly spamming moves, but it does feel like there's more action going on than simply clicking onto a mob and waiting until its dead. It's still a bit of waiting and not just full on, 1 to 1 button press action but different than WoW in many ways.

Honestly, DC is pretty fun, I was obsessed for the first few days of my trial (If you want a free 30 day trial, try winning one in the Subway sandwich promo going on now, there are a bunch of free codes in that thread http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286016 and the trial is a tier 1 prize, so you shouldn't have a ton of trouble winning it). The biggest problem it has is that it just doesn't have what it takes to be a long term MMO like WOW and in many ways, would have been more fun as a single player experience.

[quote name='themidnighter23']still not a source or a link proving your statement. If you're going to say something like that at least have concrete evidence

as for the whiny crying babies, the reason why you wont pay is because you're all POOORZZZZ

BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAA

by the way, DCUO had a beta[/QUOTE]
It's not that people are poor insomuch as they want to know that they're going to get a decent value for their money. But if the community is non existent and the game is still buggy as hell, then it's not that great of a value.
[quote name='etcrane']This is definitely an action MMO, you still have to wait a bit for super powers to recharge, so you aren't constantly spamming moves, but it does feel like there's more action going on than simply clicking onto a mob and waiting until its dead. It's still a bit of waiting and not just full on, 1 to 1 button press action but different than WoW in many ways.

Honestly, DC is pretty fun, I was obsessed for the first few days of my trial (If you want a free 30 day trial, try winning one in the Subway sandwich promo going on now, there are a bunch of free codes in that thread http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286016 and the trial is a tier 1 prize, so you shouldn't have a ton of trouble winning it). The biggest problem it has is that it just doesn't have what it takes to be a long term MMO like WOW and in many ways, would have been more fun as a single player experience.[/QUOTE]
I prefer a more Final Fight-esque button masher type experience where I could occasionally use combos and special moves but would otherwise just plow through enemies by just using standard moves like punches and kicks.

If it's a game where you have to click on enemies, then click on a menu to bring up attacks and keep just clicking on the icon for an attack, as opposed to just hitting a button on the controller to do said attack then I would likely pass and not even bother with the game at all.

WoW, I can only hope, will finally hit a steep decline this year. MMOs have all been trying to copy it, yawn. A varity of new flavors, some with quite a bit of hype. DCUO is a decent actiony MMO with iconic characters. Along with Rifts, Star Wars, Guild Wars. Each having their own unique gameplay mechanics. I'm torn if I should get into DCU or wait to see how the rest of the year goes... hmmmmm

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It's not that people are poor insomuch as they want to know that they're going to get a decent value for their money. But if the community is non existent and the game is still buggy as hell, then it's not that great of a value.[/QUOTE]

I have had maybe a handful of problems since its official release and it just keeps better and better. I guess it all comes down to being a fan and wanting to make a commitment to playing the game on a regular basis.
As for the community, you have to make friends in the game and more often than not people will friend you if you have the same goals.
As someone that has never played an MMO ever this game has been a lot of fun.

[quote name='themidnighter23']I have had maybe a handful of problems since its official release and it just keeps better and better. I guess it all comes down to being a fan and wanting to make a commitment to playing the game on a regular basis.
As for the community, you have to make friends in the game and more often than not people will friend you if you have the same goals.
As someone that has never played an MMO ever this game has been a lot of fun.[/QUOTE]
But what kind of control system does it have? I don't want to buy it and find out I hate the controls on it. If it's a simple hit a button and do a move type of control scheme, then I'd likely like it. But if it's like WOW and more click and wait, then I'd hate it.

[quote name='themidnighter23']

BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAA

[/QUOTE]

With your great English Skills and your wonderful attitude, I'm sure you have a job that just allows you to rake in the money... I think you'd be surprised what many of us do (and who we work for) during the day...

The only game I ever paid a monthly fee for was the Sierra release of NASCAR many years ago - I think it was the TEN network and it was $20 a month. I don't have time to play many video games now. As a father and someone taking Masters Level Project Management classes, I don't have much free time - certainly not enough to justify a $15/month investment in a game.

[quote name='Ogami Itto']Why should I? I'm not the idiot making claims without proof, and that link has absolutely no proof of your statement dumbass.[/QUOTE]
Then why don't you register with the community so you know what's going on in the DUCO world dumbass.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But what kind of control system does it have? I don't want to buy it and find out I hate the controls on it. If it's a simple hit a button and do a move type of control scheme, then I'd likely like it. But if it's like WOW and more click and wait, then I'd hate it.[/QUOTE]

The game is actually as you would prefer it. You can hit one button to punch, kick, and just beat down on the enemies in general (for most quest on regular mobs, you can just punch them to death). There are special skills/spells, which are activated from your spell bar, and are assigned to R1+button or R2+button. It's definitely a complete action game.

You'll like it, Cheapest.

[quote name='Ogami Itto']Why should I? I'm not the idiot making claims without proof, and that link has absolutely no proof of your statement dumbass.[/QUOTE]
Seriously some of you guys need to calm down, sheesh. Arguing over this? It's childish.

As for population, yes, there is a significance decrease in the community.

I started my Free Trial on the 4th or 5th of February.

Most people who bought the game on the January release day had their Free Trial expire around the 14th, and you could see (I'm on the Justice Server) that there was a good decrease from the time I started the game, til the date after most people's Free Trial already expired.

There's still a good medium size population but nothing compared to about 3 weeks ago, and speaking with the SOE community, a lot of them aren't going to re-up their subs. A lot of community members are also estimating that in 1-2 months from now, it's going to be even significantly less.

Mine just expired a week ago, and like many, I won't re-up unless they fixed most of the bugs with more fixed patches, or I'll just wait a few more months for better sub prices.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But what kind of control system does it have? I don't want to buy it and find out I hate the controls on it. If it's a simple hit a button and do a move type of control scheme, then I'd likely like it. But if it's like WOW and more click and wait, then I'd hate it.[/QUOTE]
I have it for the console and it's more action based so there is no click and wait. The best way I can explain it is that it's like Marvel Alliance but bigger and more team based.

I don't know if its me and my short attention span, but the beta was not fun at all. It just felt extremely repetitive to me. I never got into WoW either so maybe these aren't my type of game.

[quote name='monkeydoodle']The game is actually as you would prefer it. You can hit one button to punch, kick, and just beat down on the enemies in general (for most quest on regular mobs, you can just punch them to death). There are special skills/spells, which are activated from your spell bar, and are assigned to R1+button or R2+button. It's definitely a complete action game.

You'll like it, Cheapest.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='themidnighter23']I have it for the console and it's more action based so there is no click and wait. The best way I can explain it is that it's like Marvel Alliance but bigger and more team based.[/QUOTE]
Awesome. Thank you both very much. I may have to look into getting this game then.:D

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Awesome. Thank you both very much. I may have to look into getting this game then.:D[/QUOTE]

You'd like it.
I really enjoyed the Beta.
You can enjoy it solo or join up with others.
You can choose superpowers like flying, speed, etc.
By means of capes, wings, etc.

I've had it on my radar since it came out.
These new prices are appealing, just need to get the game for cheap now.

Some have found it for around $39 in Target clearance...not me though :(

There's also word that it will be available on PSN for download in the near future, hopefully at a new price point.

You also definitely don't want to buy this used, not for the initial free month that will likely be used, but word is that the disc is allowed to be used on only one console...could be rumor though.

Here was my super heroine in the Beta:
GoldenRaven.jpg

[quote name='Muthafodder']

There's also word that it will be available on PSN for download in the near future, hopefully at a new price point.

You also definitely don't want to buy this used, not for the initial free month that will likely be used, but word is that the disc is allowed to be used on only one console...could be rumor though.[/QUOTE]

PSN priced the same $60 & 16 or 18 gig install sucks. Not a rumor there won't be any "used" copies of DCUO this was done on purpose as to maximize the $ with this being a MMO. Beat bet is finding this on sale or a b1g1 50% off, if the batman figures are in high demand buy the $100 version and flip them into muliple months of gameplay.

If you guys are really cheap just play champions online, free to download, free to play. I played both and I have to tell ya that dcuo is very similar to CO. If they were both free I would play DCUO, but CO is not a bad game at all.

[quote name='themidnighter23']still not a source or a link proving your statement. If you're going to say something like that at least have concrete evidence

BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAA

by the way, DCUO had a beta[/QUOTE]

For concrete evidence see Age of Conan, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer Online, FFXI and FFXIV Online, APB, Crimecraft, Fallen Earth. I played all of them bro, I don't need some douche to write a review to validate something I've seen with my own eyes. Goto the forums of mentioned games and you will see more posts bitching about the games than post about actual content within the game.

The reason why most people won't pay for it is not because they're poor, it's because for many people the MMORPG genre has been overdone to hell and nothing new is being brought to the table. They're a commitment and an unnecessary cost if the game sucks. You buy an MMORPG game now without waiting for the trial memberships to end, you might as well throw your money down the toilet. The people renewing their subscriptions is probably the most important thing in determining what's going on with a game or if it even has a chance of being long term.

You play one MMORPG you've played them all, ie. If you played WoW you're pretty much played the only successful MMORPG to date that got it right. Yes WoW had it's flaws but what game doesn't.

When a game is good, I would pay almost any amount of money for it. But that just isn't the case with DCUO and many other mmos. They try and justify the sub fee because of the vast world, but I would rather have gamefly and play much better games for the same price, eg Infamous.

The bottom line is: If you like the game it is worth every penny, if you don't it's not. For me it's worth maybe $30 for the game and f2p IMO

You can't have it both ways.
Give the game for free and charge a monthly fee.
Sell the game for a nominal amount ($29) and have an adjusted monthly fee.
Charge full price for the game and only charge for new content.
These guys wanted everything, plus 10.
Best of luck.
Me thinks you are going to start seeing Batman walking around the street asking, where is everyone?

bread's done
Back