DC Universe Online

"Are you sure you want to uninstall C:\Windows\system32?"

Oh, DC Universe Online Beta. You so crazy. Stop trying to kill my computer.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']People need to start posting hero pictures.

The only thing that interests me about this game is the hero creation.[/QUOTE]

This. The first 25 minutes or so of the GiantBomb Quick Look is the character creation process. What they come up with is hilarious.

Any idea as to how long the life time member ship will stay up? I would rather pay the 200 bucks once and not pay it again but I'm lacking in the funds to do so at this time and would really like to demo the game before I buy it. I don't want this to end up like Hellgate did. I spent the 200 bucks thinking it would get better due to it the diablo team working on it. As we all know it went to shit.

[quote name='sendme']Any idea as to how long the life time member ship will stay up? I would rather pay the 200 bucks once and not pay it again but I'm lacking in the funds to do so at this time and would really like to demo the game before I buy it. I don't want this to end up like Hellgate did. I spent the 200 bucks thinking it would get better due to it the diablo team working on it. As we all know it went to shit.[/QUOTE]

That game has left a dark mark on my heart. So much potential...wasted...

You and me both. That is why I don't want to spend money on the life time membership. However if I was to keep playing the game I don't see the point in paying every month also.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']This. The first 25 minutes or so of the GiantBomb Quick Look is the character creation process. What they come up with is hilarious.[/QUOTE]

Oh god, watching that hurt. I can't remember who said it, but they were spot on.

(Paraphrasing) "When making a character is a group decision, no one is happy"

I have been told this game is better with a controller. Has anyone tried it on the PC with one? I might get the 360 controller for the PC if it is better with one.

[quote name='sendme']I have been told this game is better with a controller. Has anyone tried it on the PC with one? I might get the 360 controller for the PC if it is better with one.[/QUOTE]

I played the entire beta in controller. It's much better.

Well that is good to know. I might have to get a controller for the PC for this when I pick it up.

With DCUO I am taking two gaming leaps... the first into MMO and the second into Steam! Pretty pumped for this. The 15 hour download cannot finish soon enough...

Ugh I got into the beta then never got around to installing DCUO. I wish I had tried it before I went on Steam and spent $50 on this bomb. It's just awful. The character creation pales in comparison to City of Heroes and Champions both. Other than that it's very...generic.

[quote name='crowbb']Ugh I got into the beta then never got around to installing DCUO. I wish I had tried it before I went on Steam and spent $50 on this bomb. It's just awful. The character creation pales in comparison to City of Heroes and Champions both. Other than that it's very...generic.[/QUOTE]

Supporters of the game will say to give it more time and more money so that it can be better. I'll never understand that mentality. Like you I found the beta to be just average. Game was too easy and you can get to max level in hours.

[quote name='Megazell']Supporters of the game will say to give it more time and more money so that it can be better. I'll never understand that mentality. Like you I found the beta to be just average. Game was too easy and you can get to max level in hours.[/QUOTE]

Yup anytime a developer asks people to plop down $250+ for a game + lifetime subscription it's an immediate warning flag to me. It says they are not confident about the quality/staying power of their game so they want to get as much of your money as possible up front before it dies.

I don't see how you can get the max level in hours. I got the game friday and am at level 15. I have put some time in it. I have not put the time in it like I have in WOW to get to 15 but I have put about 4 hours or so in it a day if that. Things that should not be able to be done solo can be. Such as the instances. I see me done with this by the end of my 30 days. After I hit 30 I might do some PVP but will have to do it in the battlegrouds/arenas as I'm on a PVE server.

As for PVP I might try one of them servers before I quit also. The plan was to start on a PVP server with a friend of mine. My friend started a character on the PVP and found out that it was just all level 30's ganking low levels. If that is the case then that is not worth it. That is partly why I quit AOC.

[quote name='sendme']I don't see how you can get the max level in hours. I got the game friday and am at level 15. I have put some time in it. I have not put the time in it like I have in WOW to get to 15 but I have put about 4 hours or so in it a day if that. Things that should not be able to be done solo can be. Such as the instances. I see me done with this by the end of my 30 days. After I hit 30 I might do some PVP but will have to do it in the battlegrouds/arenas as I'm on a PVE server.

As for PVP I might try one of them servers before I quit also. The plan was to start on a PVP server with a friend of mine. My friend started a character on the PVP and found out that it was just all level 30's ganking low levels. If that is the case then that is not worth it. That is partly why I quit AOC.[/QUOTE]

Not that hard to reach the cap quickly. The game is very simplistic, so once you figure out what to grind, it takes no time at all to max out.

[quote name='Megazell']I played the entire beta in controller. It's much better.[/QUOTE]

I found it quite easy to use a mouse and keyboard as long as your sensitivity on the mouse was high. I just bumped it up one notch on my MX518 and it was perfect.

[quote name='SEH']Not that hard to reach the cap quickly. The game is very simplistic, so once you figure out what to grind, it takes no time at all to max out.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying the game is hard. Hell it is very simplistic. I did seem to gain lots of exp in the arena pvp I think it was(first thing listed in the PVP). I can see me at max some time before the end of my 30 days.

[quote name='DarkRider23']I found it quite easy to use a mouse and keyboard as long as your sensitivity on the mouse was high. I just bumped it up one notch on my MX518 and it was perfect.[/QUOTE]

Your probably right but it's rare that I play PC games from my desk these days. I prefer to play from my couch or bed.

Normally I'd agree with them to some degree. But there are some things that will be fixed over time, and some issues that are buried so deep in the core gameplay that they can't really fix it. I can forgive balance issues because they usually get straightened out sooner or later in MMOs. Same thing for bugs and glitches. But I really dislike the character creation which isn't going to change much. Maybe they add another class or three. But in the end it will stay relatively the same. You'll still have very limited choices in appearance. You'll still have to do a crazy mix and match of unrelated powers when creating your character like my brawler/tank who has ice powers or my battlesuit guy who shoots fire instead of energy. The day to day gameplay will still feel very generic. Braniac's ship was the most boring starting area I've seen in any of the MMOs I have played.

In a superhero game I should be able to customize my character's appearance through the creation system not through random loot. In CoH I could spend hours tinkering with my hero even before all the additions like capes. in DCUO, making my toon feels like a chore and I just rush through creation now with new people because all the options are in the loot anyway. Sure I could look like a Flash or Superman clone, and the way everything is done it feels encouraged to me. But I don't want to do that. I want to create my own characters.

Sorry for ranting in your general direction, especially when you are agreeing with me, heh, but I really haven't been this disappointed in a PC game since Hellgate.

I'll give DCUO the rest of my free month, but beyond that it's gone unless I hear about MAJOR game improving upgrades down the road.

[quote name='Megazell']Supporters of the game will say to give it more time and more money so that it can be better. I'll never understand that mentality. Like you I found the beta to be just average. Game was too easy and you can get to max level in hours.[/QUOTE]

I think I'm the same way. I also don't see this as a game that should have a monthly fee. I just can't see it. I ran around with a friend of mine for a few things but all the instances after the first 2 I have done on my own. Some have been a little bit of a pain but I still did them. I only need a group for the characters from DC that you had to beat that were out on the street. Even then you don't really need a group. As long as others are there and willing to help all get credit. Hell you can be in the area doing another quest and still get credit for it. I flew over statue and got credit for it.

I just don't see it having anything that I will make me need or even want to play with others. Maybe at around level 30 I will.

I don't want to see this become another Hellgate and really don't think it will. Hellgate when it came out had lots of issues that even the last day were still not fixed. This does not seem to have them same issues but does have issues. It also has the DC name and characters to help sell it.

I might just pay for the lifetime some time after the 30 days. That way I can come back and play when I want and not have to pay every month. I still don't think this is something that should have a fee every month but it is a nice game. It has its issues but I think in the next few months or so they can for the most part be worked out. I think when an expansion comes out it will be a lot better.

This game seems just about dead on PC. Just got done playing, there was literally like eight people online in the server. I know it's 4AM, but still, not a good sign for a newly released MMO. Also, every server has a low population.

I give this one a few more months before it goes F2P or just bites the dust all together.

The one I'm on seems to have less than it did from the start. That is why I'm still up in the air about paying for it after the 30 days are up. The one server for PVE that I am on jumps from low pop to medium pop. I have yet to see it go any higher. I don't see it going free to play but I do see it just going dead. Hell does Sony even have any that are F2P?

EQ2 is F2P. Also Freerealms. I'm sure this will fallow soon enough. After the 30 day mark hits for most people and they see not too many people are re-subbing they will have to make the call.

[quote name='sendme']The one I'm on seems to have less than it did from the start. That is why I'm still up in the air about paying for it after the 30 days are up. The one server for PVE that I am on jumps from low pop to medium pop. I have yet to see it go any higher. I don't see it going free to play but I do see it just going dead. Hell does Sony even have any that are F2P?[/QUOTE]

SONY has had a lot of games go F2P. Many of which just died over time but if you go to their site you can actually see a list of F2P MMOs. Like the poster above me pointed out...their most popular and most successful being 'Free Realms.'

[quote name='sendme']The one I'm on seems to have less than it did from the start. That is why I'm still up in the air about paying for it after the 30 days are up. The one server for PVE that I am on jumps from low pop to medium pop. I have yet to see it go any higher. I don't see it going free to play but I do see it just going dead. Hell does Sony even have any that are F2P?[/QUOTE]
Sony publishes Pirates of the Burning Sea, by Flying Lab Software, that is F2P.

Well, I was enjoying it, but not so much now.

I am a healer, but cant heal anyone not in my group? That is stupid.

I go into an alert, I am put in a GROUP with them, but group chat says im not in a group.

I see my ally being hurt in my group status, but I cant find him because the mini-map doesnt help with who people are.

I am questing a long and see a fight break out with hero vs villian, but cant heal a person on my faction and cant see how much health he has. Is he about to die? I dunno.

I love this game so much but it froze on me 3 times last night.

I'm purchasing 3 months for $29.99 and we'll see what happens after that.

Seriously, does anyone play this damn game? I sat in a queue to join an alert for what was easily 45 minutes before I said screw it. Is it really that hard to find three other people?

Glad I'm using a trial rather than actually paying for this dead ass game.

[quote name='SEH']Seriously, does anyone play this damn game? I sat in a queue to join an alert for what was easily 45 minutes before I said screw it. Is it really that hard to find three other people?

Glad I'm using a trial rather than actually paying for this dead ass game.[/QUOTE]

This game is already dead? That's kind of sad.

[quote name='whoknows']This game is already dead? That's kind of sad.[/QUOTE]

It would appear that way. I sit in queues for group instances, PVP, and legends PVP for hours while doing regular quests and nothing ever comes of it. Pretty said when not even a month after launch your game struggles to fill a group of four people.

[quote name='SEH']It would appear that way. I sit in queues for group instances, PVP, and legends PVP for hours while doing regular quests and nothing ever comes of it. Pretty said when not even a month after launch your game struggles to fill a group of four people.[/QUOTE]

They should have found a way to keep it in beta for a little longer because so many thing launched that needed a little more work.

I saw wombat asked on twitter and I didn't look to see what people said but I thought I would ask in the thread. Did anyone keep playing after their 30 days. Not sure what is being said in the PS3 thread seeing how I have it on the PC. I still have I think till tomorrow to play but don't really want to keep playing. I tried to do some of the duo stuff and with out a good healer and someone that does not want to drop it seems like you get no place. Anyone got any of the gear from the endgame stuff?

I have a free trial that runs until like the middle of next month, yet I haven't touched the game in over a week. Its just boring. Also, I agree with you about the healer BS. Instances are pretty much impossible, even with four people like 5-6 levels above the recommended. The game sucks.

I was able to run all but maybe 1 or 2 instance(s) with out a group. Only one that I remember for sure was the Mr. Freeze one. However I was playing Damage/Control with Dual Pistol, and Gadgets. I didn't run all of them but that one on my own though. A friend of mine helped sell me on the game and we ran 2 or 3 and farmed them. After that I was on my own for the most part. I did to help some other players but didn't have the quests for the Instances at the time and later ran them.

The Duo ones are the ones I'm talking about. Hell Freeze's starts you off where you have to fight the one large guy after blowing the computer for The Joker. After that is Two-Face and two other guys. Two people it is a bitch to do.

When they offered the one deal for 3 months and posted it on Facebook people were saying how bugged stuff was and some of the posts people said they have yet to see anyone with end game gear.

bread's done
Back