DDR advice. Which system, which game?

Gourd

CAGiversary!
Greetings!

Let me start by saying that I've never played a DDR game in the arcade or at home, but having watched gamers dancing their lives away on them has me interested.

I'm not sure which game I should go for? I have all three current systems (Xbox, PS2, GC) and a large space in the living room, as I actually use a program for Xbox (Yourself Fitness) as part of my work-out program.

Which game has the best music and, overall, which would be the best game? Also, advice on pads would be welcome.

Thanks for reading this far, and apologies if this is not the right place for this thread.

(edited for spelling. Probably missed something. Eh.)

DDR MAX and MAX 2 are the two I would get. I play those all the time and both are very good. MAX 2 is better than MAX IMO, but both are worth getting if you plan on playing a good amount.

Tough decision. Personally, I love both MAX 1 & 2 for the PS2, but Ultramix 2 for the Xbox is very good as well. I suppose I would go with MAX 1, then MAX 2, then Ultramix 2 being my three favorites.

(Actually, if you buy a PS2 mat, you can also buy an adapter to use the mat on your GC and Xbox, so, you could buy the games for different systems!)

I'd go with the Playstation 2 games, but that's only because I haven't played the Xbox versions.

Might I recommend ddrfreak.com? It has a lot of resources both in and out of the forums. There is an entire forum dedicated to the console games so you can look around and get some help on figuring out which is the best game(s) for you.

I'm just glad that they don't use the old school 3rd and 4th mix engines. The newer/hotter 6th mix engine for Max and above is sexy. Although the Extreme layout looked a little odd.

You can also import the Japanese versions with little effort. DDR Freak has more info on that as well.

[quote name='AlbinoNinja']yeah, id have to recommend DDRMAX2. Ive heard the xbox game is harder and I dont think max1 has beginner mode[/QUOTE]

MAX workout mode is perfect for newbs though. It is what I used to get better.

Although I mentioned before that I prefer the newer engine used (60 fps instead of 30 fps) the older versions are still a great way to get in to the game. Because they didn't have things like freeze arrows, tempo changes (well, the original Dance Dance Revolution for PS1 didn't) you can focus on getting the very basics down. Then you can move on to the newer games, or work on them at the same time.

You may even be able to snag some of the older PS1 games for cheap from people that don't like them/don't play anymore.

I'd vote for MAX2 and the original PSOne version, based solely on the song selection.
That's a matter of preference, of course, so you may wish to rent them all and purchase your favorites.

The Konami pad works just fine (as do the various third party pads), but if you're going to get your groove on frequently, spring for a Red Octane or other foam reinforced mat. Your legs and feet will thank you.

I haven't really played the Xbox versions and think it's better to get the PS2 versions over PS1 ones, so I'll only discuss the PS2 ones.

My order is...

Max, Max2, Extreme

I don't think the beginner mode is necessary at all. Anyone should be able to proceed from beginner to light mode in like...a day...unless you're more uncoordinated than my non-videogame-playing mom. (I'm serious.) Some argue that Max2 has a better songlist than Max though. Max and Max2 have relatively comparable songlists.

UNLESS...you have the ability to play imports, in which case I recommend the Japanese version of Extreme. The songlist of that game should last you much longer than any American game, and it's not any harder to learn with this version.

I suggest either Max 2 for PS2 or Ultramix 2 for XBox. Both have great songlists and I think those are the 2 best US DDR games. If you like mainstream songs, then go with Max 2 since it has more of those songs.

Be careful if you buy a controller adapter to use a PS2 pad on an Xbox and so on--I have two of the same brand and model, one has a split second delay, one doesn't. Just something you might have to deal with if you go that route (DDR on each system)--it's certainly a mixed bag and expensive if you end up starting to use the pricier deluxe mats. Especially if you get into playing a lot of Vs and Doubles rounds. :p

That said, I suggest MAX 2 or Ultramix 2.

I liked Max and Max2 for PS2.

Don't bother with Ultramix 1 for Xbox. Song selection is meh, and the timing of your steps has to be dead on to get Perfects. Other versions are not as strict.

If you find you really like DDR, I would suggest upgrading your soft pad by modding it. You will probably find that as you get better and increase the difficulty level, your pad won't stay put on the floor, but rather bunch up. DDRFreak.com has a great guide to (cheaply) mod your soft pad. It will prolong the life of the soft pad and make gameplay much easier.

[quote name='Zingela']Be careful if you buy a controller adapter to use a PS2 pad on an Xbox and so on--I have two of the same brand and model, one has a split second delay, one doesn't. Just something you might have to deal with if you go that route (DDR on each system)--it's certainly a mixed bag and expensive if you end up starting to use the pricier deluxe mats. Especially if you get into playing a lot of Vs and Doubles rounds. :p

That said, I suggest MAX 2 or Ultramix 2.[/QUOTE]

There are mats available with both connectors included to support both Xbox and PS2. Worth getting if the player gets really addicted and picks up every version of DDR as have some people I know.

bread's done
Back