DDR Extreme Opinions?

megashock5

CAGiversary!
Hello, just wondering what everone thinks of DDR Extreme. I'm not a hardcore player, I only have Max2 and enjoy it (on Light mode). I don't care if it has a tracklisting that's different from the arcade or the Japanese version, just wondering if it's fun enough on it's own for a purchase.

Thanks in advance!

im just like you i enjoy it on light mode too, im sllowly creeping into standard, my friend told me ddr extreme was good, so ill get it and ddr max and something else at the TRU sale

I think the only problem some people have with it is that it has a more American slant to the music and less JPop, if I understand correctly. But so does Max 2, so if you like that, you will like Extreme.

Extreme has some more US recognizable songs (though they're the butchered Karaoke Revolution versions). But it's certainly fun enough on it's own for a purchase. The inexplicable lack of a dance mat mode(i.e. disabling corner buttons on your mat during songs) may hurt once you get up to playing heavy mode. If you've picked up an EyeToy there are some novel party games in there as well.

1st impressions (played songs A-P)

pros:

- i love .59
- move your feet by junior senior was a cool surprise, challenging steps
- the new paranoia is by far the hardest paranoia on USA mixes
- nice to see drop out on this mix, good challenging song
- tsugaru's back
- 321 stars is fun
- i love love love sugar

cons:

- captain jack's back
- i hate do me by moustache men
- more american songs than i would like.

2nd impressions (after unlocking all songs)

pros:

- absolute is fun
- the challenge version of higher has fun stream
- tsugaru (apple mix) has an interesting beginning, and i like the song more than the original
- A is easily one of my new favorite songs
- frozen ray makes you spin
- V is also easily one of my new favorites
- i love how A and V have both heavy and challenge steps.
- maximizer is actually fun
- legend of max is HARD. now being the only song i can't beat at home, it gives me a new challenge.

cons:

- another wild rush? i like it more than the original, but still...
- the 2nd drop out isn't as fun as the first
- i wish that sakura, cartoon heroes, bag, waka laka, tobira, love shine, and a few others were in it.

Overall, worth a purchase, IMO. Yoshifan has some good points against it though.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31686

I love all of the DDR games, and this one is my least favorite of the (PS2, Xbox) US releases. First, what the shaq-fu did they do with the track selection screen? It looks like the terrible PS1 screens! Second, the songs aren't as good as the MAX1+2 lists, IMO. Don't get me wrong, I think this game is okay, but I was disappointed.

Pass up Extreme and grab the older DDR Max. The song list on it is amazing. Also, it has a nice balanced range of difficulties for newer players to work their way to DDR mastery.

Extreme has a few songs that people have been waiting for, but it has too many issues for my taste: An odd scoring system, weird step counts thanks to Konami now counting jumps as 1 step ("321 Stars" no longer has 321 steps :eek:), several programming errors in the game (one prevents you from unlocking a song, you can never get the game fully unlocked), and the very low quality song list.

[quote name='trunks982']does it have the butterfly song?[/quote]

I haven't had time to unlock all of the songs, but no, it doesn't.

It's hard to say which DDR song is my favorite. I somewhat like it the best because it has the most songs with Japanese voices compared to other DDR's that have been released stateside. It's still a great game a worth a purchase. I play it more than any other game I own right now.

As for Captain Jack, I love Captain Jack. I wish there was more of them in Extreme, like in Max 2.

[quote name='Zing']Pass up Extreme and grab the older DDR Max. The song list on it is amazing. Also, it has a nice balanced range of difficulties for newer players to work their way to DDR mastery.
[/quote]

I agree with that, it's cheaper, has a better interface, dance play settings and a larger songlist. I was going to list other reasons not to get Extreme but I see the link to the thread I made was posted by Battousai1002 so I guess I don't need to really explain why I am dissapointed with Extreme since it's all right in that post.

Butterfly will probably never be in a home US DDR game (it did make into the US First Mix arcade game), it was supposed to be in the first US DDR Playstation game (the code or something similar is still on the disc) but it was pulled at the last second due to licensing issues.

Hmm. I see a lot of people complaining about the songlist. If I typically gravitate toward the "known" songs anyway (days go by, busy child, long train runnin, etc.) is there still a reason to skip it. I also hear interface mentioned. But is there something about the game that is bad, gameplay-wise?

thanks!

[quote name='YoshiFan1'][quote name='Zing']Pass up Extreme and grab the older DDR Max. The song list on it is amazing. Also, it has a nice balanced range of difficulties for newer players to work their way to DDR mastery.
[/quote]

I agree with that, it's cheaper, has a better interface, dance play settings and a larger songlist. I was going to list other reasons not to get Extreme but I see the link to the thread I made was posted by Battousai1002 so I guess I don't need to really explain why I am dissapointed with Extreme since it's all right in that post.

Butterfly will probably never be in a home US DDR game (it did make into the US First Mix arcade game), it was supposed to be in the first US DDR Playstation game (the code or something similar is still on the disc) but it was pulled at the last second due to licensing issues.[/quote]

Unfortunately, DDR is the kind of game that is better off imported; the music selection will always be smaller and less authentic (e.g., more songs not by the original artists) than the Japanese version. The price is, unfortunately, a mitigating factor, as imports can run around $60 (compared to $40 for domestic).

DDR Party Collection is a great assortment of older and newer DDR songs; it's also the only PS2 generation game to have Dam Dariam (unless I never unlocked it in Extreme).

[quote name='megashock5']Hmm. I see a lot of people complaining about the songlist. If I typically gravitate toward the "known" songs anyway (days go by, busy child, long train runnin, etc.) is there still a reason to skip it. I also hear interface mentioned. But is there something about the game that is bad, gameplay-wise?

thanks![/quote]

Extreme does have a few known songs like Waiting For Tonight and Believe, but less than 5 or 6 I think. The problem gameplay wise is the lack of danceplay settings. That is where during a song, the corner panels of the pad (X, O and the other 2 bottom corner panels) are turned off so if you step on them, it won't matter. In Extreme, there is no way to turn this off so you can have a full combo going and accidently step on a corner panel and there goes your great score. For DDR where a lot of the gameplay is focused around perfecting a song, this is enough to ruin the game, at least for me.

[quote name='mykevermin'][quote name='YoshiFan1'][quote name='Zing']Pass up Extreme and grab the older DDR Max. The song list on it is amazing. Also, it has a nice balanced range of difficulties for newer players to work their way to DDR mastery.
[/quote]

Butterfly will probably never be in a home US DDR game (it did make into the US First Mix arcade game), it was supposed to be in the first US DDR Playstation game (the code or something similar is still on the disc) but it was pulled at the last second due to licensing issues.[/quote]

Unfortunately, DDR is the kind of game that is better off imported; the music selection will always be smaller and less authentic (e.g., more songs not by the original artists) than the Japanese version. The price is, unfortunately, a mitigating factor, as imports can run around $60 (compared to $40 for domestic).

DDR Party Collection is a great assortment of older and newer DDR songs; it's also the only PS2 generation game to have Dam Dariam (unless I never unlocked it in Extreme).[/quote]

Dam Dariam!!!!! I LOVE that song, and was pissed when I found it wasn't in extreme. Guess its time to get my import on. THANKS

bread's done
Back