DDR Mario Mix Hard to Find?

naruto179

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I used to see the DDR Mario Mix in the store all of the time, although recently I hadn't really been looking for it. I was just browsing it on eBay to find all sorts of ridiculous prices. Is it really that hard to find? I had been thinking about getting it for a long time, but had heard the difficulty was that of the Disney Mix, which turned me away. Anyone know of a place to find it (preferably complete with dance pad and box) for a reasonable price?

It progressively got harder to find probably in the past 4 months. I saw it at several of my stores before black friday, but then afterwards, they were all gone. It you find it anywhere you should probably pick it up just because you wont find it again if you change your mind.

As for the difficulty, I was under the impression that this one was super easy, like a kiddie version of DDR? I could have sworn thats what all the reviews were complaining about.

I actually haven't seen this one around for a while. I picked it up soon after it came out, and from then on, it started to become really popular. Its been a while since it came out, but I wouldn't think that it would still be incredibly popular. Then again, maybe Nintendo isn't making anymore pads/copies, and not to mention that its still the holiday season.

As for difficulty, DDR veterans will find themselves stepping through the songs with ease. I'm not a veteran, not even a dancer, and I can't finish the harder songs. I'm sure I'll get through it someday... with lots of practice.

I am a ludicrously lucky soul who picked up two copies of DDR Mario Mix with dance pad for $5.25 each at kmart just prior to Christmas! However, I have not seen it anywhere else. toysrus.com use to have it listed, albeit always "out of stock", but it took the listing off recently. It isn't found in-stock anywhere online except on ebay (well, not in the US - the European and Japanese versions still seem to be available in those countries.) I sold the game-only from the second set on ebay, keeping the dance pad from it, and gave the first box set plus the extra dance pad to my kids (5 and 4) for Christmas. It's nice to be paid to give a good Christmas gift. :)

Alas, it is too hard for them even on easy. Actually, my 5 year old is starting to be able to "complete" some of the easier songs on easy setting and with encouragement I think he'll start doing better, but he doesn't actually want to play the game now because he thinks it's too hard. For myself, though, I really love the game. There are 5 difficultly levels for every song and within those difficulty levels, some songs are easier and some are harder. For a beginner, even the easy level is challenging on some songs.

IMHO there is plenty of challenge for everyone. If you consider only "completing" the story mode to be the goal, then you will finish the game in no time, especially on Easy setting. Actually, in Story mode there only seems to be Easy and Normal difficulty settings, but I suspect beating it at "Normal" will open up harder difficult options (I haven't done so yet, mainly because I've just been playing in free mode.) In part it's easy to beat story mode because you can "complete" a song as far as the game is concerned while getting a "D"! In fact, I'm fairly sure I've seen an "F" and still having it say it was completed, but don't quote me on that. So in that sense it is easy, but if you are trying to do well, getting an A or B on songs, then it is much harder. The "Mush mode" option also adds some additional difficultly.

Myself, I've so far only been able to get an A on songs at "Normal" level (if I recall correctly, the levels are Easy, Normal, Hard, Very Hard, Super Hard), but I should note that this is the first DDR type game I've ever played. Still, I can't imagine that even DDR veterans would consider the faster paced songs at Super Hard level to be easy to get an A on!

Oh, and it is good exercise. Fun exercise, and you can't beat that. For that purpose the difficulty doesn't even matter that much. One thing though regarding this... it has a calorie counting feature, but I can't figure out how to get it to work. I entered my weight, but it just shows up as asterisks and I never see any data collected for me. Perhaps it doesn't like weights that are above little kid level weights. I doubt that the calorie counting is very accurate, but it would be fun, perhaps motivational, to see it anyway.

IMHO it's a great game. I don't know if it's $150 worth of great game, ala ebay, but I'd certainly be willing to part with the full regular retail price for it if you can find it and probably even a bit more. Really, I was thinking just the other day that if the copy we have ever got scratched and became unplayable, I might just pay $150 to be able to continue playing it again. Maybe. I wish I'd kept the second copy of the game as a backup, but it's too late now. More likely, I might install one of those system mods just so I can make a backup copy!

Also of interest to me would be to get the Japanese version of the game (requiring system mod or an Action Replay to play it), so I could get the j-pop songs that I presume would be on it. Oh, and buying the Japanese version and a system mod or Action Replay would be cheaper than buying a US version on ebay. However, of course, it's in Japanese! You could probably figure it out, though. I have read, though, that at least with an action replay, the memory card doesn't work right for japanese games (even if you use a dedicated card) and so you can't permanently unlock anything. If that's true, that would suck and make it a far less appealing idea. I'm definitely not sure about this, though. If someone knows for certain, I'd love to hear about it.

I played DDR on both PS2 and Gamecube, but I'm not a hardcore DDR player. The hardest stage on the hardest difficulty is somewhat hard, but only akin to maybe a 7 foot song on the PS2 DDRs (which go up to 10 feet).

[quote name='crunchewy']Also of interest to me would be to get the Japanese version of the game (requiring system mod or an Action Replay to play it), so I could get the j-pop songs that I presume would be on it. Oh, and buying the Japanese version and a system mod or Action Replay would be cheaper than buying a US version on ebay. However, of course, it's in Japanese![/QUOTE]

I'm surprised about that as I own 12 Japanese DDR games and they are about 90% in English. It's a shame that they changed it for Mario Mix (maybe because it's geared towards kids?)

[quote name='Justden']Any trouble hooking up Mario Mix to a Wii?[/QUOTE]

No trouble whatsoever. As a matter of fact, I play DDR Mario Mix on the Wii using a RedOctane Ignition Pad for PS2. I bought a PS2 -> GC adapter from Play-Asia and it works perfectly. You just have to make sure you buy an adapter that is advertised as DDR compatible.

So, where can I get a standalone copy of the game for not a ridiculous price and possibly new? I guess I'll buy 3rd party mats.

[quote name='imacgod']So, where can I get a standalone copy of the game for not a ridiculous price and possibly new? I guess I'll buy 3rd party mats.[/QUOTE]

Well, you're not going to find it standalone new since it was only sold new as a bundle. As far as the cheapest used prices for the game only, last I heard EB/GS was selling it for $24.99, or $22.49 after 10% off card.

[quote name='crunchewy']
Alas, it is too hard for them even on easy. Actually, my 5 year old is starting to be able to "complete" some of the easier songs on easy setting and with encouragement I think he'll start doing better, but he doesn't actually want to play the game now because he thinks it's too hard. For myself, though, I really love the game. There are 5 difficultly levels for every song and within those difficulty levels, some songs are easier and some are harder. For a beginner, even the easy level is challenging on some songs.
.[/QUOTE]

I concur on the difficulty - my kids have given up on it too. The biggest flaw IMO is that after a couple of continues it is truly Game Over and you have to restart from the beginning. They want to play the new levels but not do the same few over and over and over. That is a HUGE design flaw as far as I'm concerned. Nintendo should shoot themselves for that ;).

I guess I'll have to play through it to unlock the later levels in free play. The thing is I've never played a DDR game and I don't particularly want to, but I might have to grin and bear it for the kids.

And for the OP - yes, it is extremely difficult to find. I was buying them at $40 from Fred Meyer (20% off game coupon) one week back in October or so). I sold a couple on ebay for a small profit (about $60-$70 or so each) to pay for the one I kept. I wish I had saved them for selling right before Christmas, could have paid for my Wii as well :rofl:. Anyway, I have not seen a single copy since then (mid-Oct).

[quote name='io']I guess I'll have to play through it to unlock the later levels in free play. The thing is I've never played a DDR game and I don't particularly want to, but I might have to grin and bear it for the kids.[/quote]

Damn, what a dad. I never played a DDR game before this and beat it through on my first play. Went right back in the box and onto the shelf.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Damn, what a dad. I never played a DDR game before this and beat it through on my first play. Went right back in the box and onto the shelf.[/quote]

The story mode is easy to complete (for me, not my kids), especially on Easy, but even in Normal mode, and that's fine by me, because mainly I just want to have access to all the songs in free play mode. My kids like the story mode. I mean, they like to watch it. For me, dancing the songs in free play mode is the main attraction, working my way up the difficultly levels. Even more fun is doing so 2 player. The mush mode is a fun twist, and some of the mini games are fun (but certainly not all.) I think it's a great game, but YMMV.

bread's done
Back