de Blob 2 - Nintendo DS - New - $9.74 shipped @ Amazon

kodave

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
I used the search function and didn't see any current threads pop up with this...

Amazon has de Blob 2, new condition, for the Nintendo DS for $9.74 with free standard shipping.

Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Blob-2-Nintendo-DS/dp/B003S2JIBY

And yes, that's free standard shipping. No need to break the $25 barrier for free super saver shipping. No need for Prime or anything else. It simply does standard shipping for free.

The game has a 75 on Metacritic:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/ds/de-blob-2/critic-reviews

Favorable reviews from IGN, Nintendo Power, and GameSpot.

It's a 2D platformer different than the 3D home console games. It supposedly controls well, has pretty good level layout and good mechanics. The main complaint is that its just a very easy platformer. Apparently people who like to 100% games will like finding everything in all the levels. DSi owners have the added bonus of some camera augmented reality mini games.

I could use an easy platformer right now, so I'll go in for one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't know Amazon had items where they allow for free shipping w/o Prime or $25 limit. Pleasant surprise and promptly ordered, thanks OP!

My copy arrived today. Super fast "free standard shipping" time, but maybe I'm lucky and it was at a distribution center close to me. I'll probably give it a spin tonight.

I played the first two worlds last night (30-something-% through the game). Definitely easy, even if you're trying to 100% it. I'm hoping the difficulty will increase as the game progresses. But I still found it enjoyable enough. Totally worth it compared to some shitty movies I've paid $10+ to see in the theaters.

Looks like the price is up to $9.86... Better act fast!

[quote name='kodave']I played the first two worlds last night (30-something-% through the game). Definitely easy, even if you're trying to 100% it. I'm hoping the difficulty will increase as the game progresses. But I still found it enjoyable enough. Totally worth it compared to some shitty movies I've paid $10+ to see in the theaters.

Looks like the price is up to $9.86... Better act fast![/QUOTE]

Pretty much the same feelings here, tho I'm not quite as far as you. Game is definitely worth $10, if even for the fact that it's a fun, solid 2D platformer.

I just 100%ed it. Obviously there was little to no difficulty for most teens/adults. There's a reason it says "SyFy Kids" on the box.

There are only a couple of hidden items that you may miss if you don't think things through and/or double back. The difficulty does increase, but not by a whole lot. The Rocket Racer level may be the hardest due to trying to collect all the items within the time limits, but that's not really saying much.

This game would be great for younger kids who can grasp the "collecting" aspect of the game. Otherwise they might get bored with the repetitive nature of some of the game. That's not to say its completely repetitive, but its just a standard platformer where new enemies are introduced, there's new challenges/puzzles etc., but at its core its pretty much much the same thing throughout.

But overall the level designs are diverse enough. The 3D in a 2D world graphic style is great and is probably one of the better looking DS games I've seen. The music and sound effects are great too, especially as you "paint" or "color" the levels. In what could have been total shovelware garbage, Halfbrick / Criware did a nice job making this a solid game for THQ.

I'd say the 75 scores are pretty much right on. It was a pretty relaxing fun platformer. At least for me, not every game has to be a 60+ hour epic or something, provided the price is right, which is was here.

Its probably worth $10 for a new copy since de Blob 2 is a fairly recent game. For those who are going to be put off by the ease of it, you might want to wait it out until it drops lower or find a used copy for under $10, but in general it does not seem like new DS games fall that far below $10 unless its total garbage, which this game isn't. It currently trades back to Amazon for $5, so in a worse case scenario, you could buy it, beat it in a day, and trade it back to make it a $5 rental.

I should note that I don't have a DSi so I can't comment on the augmented reality mini-games. Nothing for them even appears on my cart when its in my DS Lite so I don't know if they play a role with the storyline or if they're just mini-games on the side.

Edit: From the manual -

Chroma Cameras and The Chroma Crystal
(This feature is only available on the Nintendo DSi.)

Hidden throughout the game are 15 Chroma Cameras. Finding a Chrome Camera in a level will take you to a mini-game where you must collect color energy with the Nintendo DSi Camera!

If you can find and charge all 15 Cameras, you'll unlock the legendary Chroma Crystal; a crystal with the power to change Blob's color at any time!

To use the Chroma Crystal to change Blob's color, press SELECT.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back