[DEAD] $10 off $50 at Direct2Drive - Civ 5 for $39.95 [expires 9/14]

grifta67

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey CAG,

I know there's a static D2D weekly deals thread but I didn't see much mention of this promo code and no mention at all on using it for Civ 5. It's $10 off $50 so I assumed it wouldn't work on Civ since it's a nickel short at $49.95, but sure enough it applies just fine.

Their Civ 5 pre-order comes with the 1st DLC pack free as well as a free copy of Civ 3.

$10 off $50 Code: SANDIEGO (ends 9/14)
Enjoy!
http://www.direct2drive.com/9611/product/Buy-Sid-Meier's-Civilization-V-Download

EDIT: Might take some work to get. It was denying my transaction with both paypal and a direct credit card, asking me to contact customer service to complete the order. After searching around, I tried a trick others said has worked in the past. I created a new D2D account with my ISP email and tried ordering through that. After an auto-dial phone verification call, bingo, it worked!

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you've got some kind of credit or coupon from Amazon / K-Mart, this is probably the *best* deal you'll see on this at launch.

It uses Steamworks, so you can register this copy from D2D onto Steam.

Might take some work to get, but it does indeed work!

It was denying my transaction with both paypal and a direct credit card, asking me to contact customer service to complete the order. After searching around, I tried a trick others said has worked in the past. I created a new D2D account with my ISP email and tried ordering through that. After an auto-dial phone verification call, bingo, it worked!

I used the above information and had no problem ordering a copy for the $39.95. I used a credit card for the first transaction maybe that made the difference?

any idea if they send your cd-key right away so you can register it on steam and possibly get the bonus there as well?

Just a quick head's up, if you grab it from Direct 2 Drive you miss out on the Mesopotamia pack on Steam
Since the DLC is going to be for everyone and there's no word if the preorder extra will be sold later I'm sticking with Steam, not too sure if anyone else wants to too.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Just a quick head's up, if you grab it from Direct 2 Drive you miss out on the Mesopotamia pack on Steam
Since the DLC is going to be for everyone and there's no word if the preorder extra will be sold later I'm sticking with Steam, not too sure if anyone else wants to too.[/QUOTE] I would still stick with the Direct2Drive deal, since even if you purchase from Steam instead, you'll still miss out on the other preorder deals that other eTailers/Retailers have as promotions. For instance, instead of the Mesopotamia pack, Amazon has the Asia map pack.

[quote name='Exity']I would still stick with the Direct2Drive deal, since even if you purchase from Steam instead, you'll still miss out on the other preorder deals that other eTailers/Retailers have as promotions. For instance, instead of the Mesopotamia pack, Amazon has the Asia map pack.[/QUOTE]
Oh yeah, I'm not telling anyone to avoid it, just be aware of the bonus
Like for me to get the cradle of civilization as a preorder bonus is totally worth having to spend a few bucks on a DLC pack later on
It's not for everyone though so I wanted people to know what else is out there

[quote name='henrylin22']i want to get retail, but if there's no manual then I'm all in on d2d[/QUOTE]

There's no manual? I'm all for in-game tutorials but it seems Civ is a bit complex to completely eliminate the manual.

[quote name='grifta67']There's no manual? I'm all for in-game tutorials but it seems Civ is a bit complex to completely eliminate the manual.[/QUOTE]
It's a PDF

I had a question about the map packs that are being given out with pre-orders on many sites. Are they just maps to play in the game or do they come with anything else, units, wonders, etc? If they are just maps, then I'd rather take the D2D deal for $10 less. I don't really care about the manual but I have always been a fan of getting the technology chart with the physical copy but I think I could pass it up for this deal.

[quote name='CRH7386']I had a question about the map packs that are being given out with pre-orders on many sites. Are they just maps to play in the game or do they come with anything else, units, wonders, etc? If they are just maps, then I'd rather take the D2D deal for $10 less. I don't really care about the manual but I have always been a fan of getting the technology chart with the physical copy but I think I could pass it up for this deal.[/QUOTE]

They are just maps, to my knowledge.

[quote name='animalspinners']They are just maps, to my knowledge.[/QUOTE]

Alright, thanks. That is what I figured. Just a map isn't really worth anything to me. I'd much rather get $10 off and free DLC later. Thanks for the code OP! :D

Might use this on Fallout New Vegas, considering the game is a Steamworks game, doesn't really matter where you buy it from, they all install into Steam. Would make it the cheapest I've seen so far.

Hate that D2D charges tax though.

Thanks OP!

[quote name='DizoAZ']
Hate that D2D charges tax though.

Thanks OP![/QUOTE]

Glad to help!

Not sure about the tax issue though. I just checked my email and I wasn't charged any tax, just $39.95 exactly.

I will be charged tax too so my total is $43.31 so that's 8.4%. I suppose it's still worth it since we get the first DLC for free and it's still cheaper than anywhere else.

d2dlist.jpg
Got some pretty awesome deals this past year from D2D. Picked up Civ 5, not deluxe coz I never even listen to soundtracks or watch making ofs. :bouncy:

[quote name='henrylin22']Got some pretty awesome deals this past year from D2D. Picked up Civ 5, not deluxe coz I never even listen to soundtracks or watch making ofs. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

How did you get Sims 3 Ambitions for $10.90!? I wish I could get it for that.

[quote name='CRH7386']How did you get Sims 3 Ambitions for $10.90!? I wish I could get it for that.[/QUOTE]

it was during the d2d daily sale for 14.95, then i added a def grid dlc for $1 so my total was about 16 and then I used the PAX code for $5 off.

[quote name='henrylin22']it was during the d2d daily sale for 14.95, then i added a def grid dlc for $1 so my total was about 16 and then I used the PAX code for $5 off.[/QUOTE]

Nice. Too bad I missed it...

I picked it up as well. Pretty good deal on the preorder and since it uses steamworks it was a no brainer.

The KMart thread says they are offering a 20 dollar gaming coupon with the purchase of Civ 5. Just something to consider if you are thinking about going this route.

I'll wait until Civ V and all its 6 expansions and DLC packs have come out in one convenient package for under $20 some time in the not too distant future. Like I do with all Civ games.

[quote name='watcher0']I'll wait until Civ V and all its 6 expansions and DLC packs have come out in one convenient package for under $20 some time in the not too distant future. Like I do with all Civ games.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry you'll just be waiting until 2015.

That's weird. I swear, when I preorder this a week or two ago (using the 5 dollars off from PAX), it said it was giving the Mesopotamia pack out. Now it's just some random DLC which will eventually be free. :whistle2:/

[quote name='killias2']That's weird. I swear, when I preorder this a week or two ago (using the 5 dollars off from PAX), it said it was giving the Mesopotamia pack out. Now it's just some random DLC which will eventually be free. :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]
I think you may have read it wrong or mixed the preorder bonuses
I've emailed D2D for all these coupon codes and each time they said that they don't get that pack.
That's the dealbreaker for me so each time I've seen one of these sales I've emailed them about it to see if it's changed

[quote name='Jaysonguy']I think you may have read it wrong or mixed the preorder bonuses
I've emailed D2D for all these coupon codes and each time they said that they don't get that pack.
That's the dealbreaker for me so each time I've seen one of these sales I've emailed them about it to see if it's changed[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I must've read it wrong or assumed. It's really weird though. I swear I remember it, haha.

Honestly, I don't care terribly much one way or the other. Especially considering the Mesopotamia maps are probably just maps (i.e. not scenarios), and, if they're cool enough, they'll like be accessible anyway (civ 5 is moddable...). Still, weird that I got this so wrong.

I basically bought it on D2D because of the Civ 3 offer (I figure, what the hey, it's the only game in the series I never 'owned') and because it was 5 bucks off with the PAX code. I assume there won't be a much better offer (although this 10 dollar alternative would've been nice), and that buying digitally with a game that needs Steam anyway is almost a no-brainer.

bread's done
Back