DEAD - 3D Dot Game Heroes- $21.17

Hmm, I'd like to see it stay around this price for when I get my $20 for Black Ops. I've been intrigued about this game for awhile as I love the old style Zelda games. How long does the game last and how much replay value is there? It may be just a rental.

[quote name='WatchdogXC']Hmm, I'd like to see it stay around this price for when I get my $20 for Black Ops. I've been intrigued about this game for awhile as I love the old style Zelda games. How long does the game last and how much replay value is there? It may be just a rental.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the same thing.

[quote name='WatchdogXC']Hmm, I'd like to see it stay around this price for when I get my $20 for Black Ops. I've been intrigued about this game for awhile as I love the old style Zelda games. How long does the game last and how much replay value is there? It may be just a rental.[/QUOTE]

IMO it is VERY similar to the SNES Zelda game (Link to the Past) but with more to do. If you just want to play through you can probably do it in under 10 hours or so. There are a ton of side quests though and some you can only do at certain points so there is replayability.

[quote name='crzyboy88']Great deal since it's new.

You didn't do something wrong. You did something awesome.[/QUOTE]

This.

In for one. Thanks OP!

aw man, too bad it is not part of b2g1free. i gotta be strong and resist after just getting fallout vegas, ea mma, and others.

[quote name='ZeroXFlame']P.S. first thread so go easy on me if i did something wrong lol[/QUOTE]
All you threadcrappers, see what you do with your stupid comments?

Thanks OP. Been wanting to play this one, but I feel like $15 is my Cheap Ass price point.

[quote name='sabanoo']IMO it is VERY similar to the SNES Zelda game (Link to the Past) but with more to do. If you just want to play through you can probably do it in under 10 hours or so. There are a ton of side quests though and some you can only do at certain points so there is replayability.[/QUOTE]

I kinda disagree, sabanoo. To me, 3D Dot Game Heroes is much more similar to the original Legend of Zelda on NES in terms of game design, aesthetics, and length, and I'm pretty sure that was intentional. It's nowhere near as complex as A Link to the Past in my opinion.

Like Zelda? Like nostalgia? Like 80s 8-bit? Buy this, no questions asked.

Like I told someone the other day. Know why nobody makes 90s references? Because all the good stuff was in the 80s!

beat this a few months ago and completed 95% of the sidequests... also had the most powerful sword leveled up quite a bit. my total play time was about 14 hours.

i have to say that although it can be fun at times, the dungeons get ridiculously repetitive and really lack that zelda originality. they are all the same as the last one, with tons and tons of rehashed, slightly modified designs of block puzzles. they'll add a gimmick to each one (like the CURSED red/blue block switches of the flame temple), but theres nothing that really stands out =/.

minor spoiler ----->

the end dungeon is just a gigantic combination of the previous 7 dungeons in which u play another rehashed section and then fight each and every boss after their respective section over again. its just annoying and i couldnt wait for it to end.

[quote name='rapsodist']I kinda disagree, sabanoo. To me, 3D Dot Game Heroes is much more similar to the original Legend of Zelda on NES in terms of game design, aesthetics, and length, and I'm pretty sure that was intentional. It's nowhere near as complex as A Link to the Past in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

It's similar to all of the old Zelda games but it's almost a copy of A Link to the Past. Even the world layout is nearly identical to the SNES game. In terms of having extra things you don't need to get it's more of a copy of the SNES version there as well.

When you talk about game design they're all very similar (other than Zelda II) from back then so I'm not sure what you mean exactly there. The aesthetics are definitely an 8-bit throwback though with the "dots" they used.

The existence of "towns" seems to come from the SNES version. The weapons/items used are also mainly the same as in Link to the Past.

TL;DR - The old Zelda games are all similar in style but this definitely seems to borrow the most from A Link to the Past.

ill wait till its cheaper since i never play my games right away or at all..

but nice deal. good to know its slowly dropping. like bird poop in the sky.

[quote name='sabanoo']It's similar to all of the old Zelda games but it's almost a copy of A Link to the Past. Even the world layout is nearly identical to the SNES game. In terms of having extra things you don't need to get it's more of a copy of the SNES version there as well.

When you talk about game design they're all very similar (other than Zelda II) from back then so I'm not sure what you mean exactly there. The aesthetics are definitely an 8-bit throwback though with the "dots" they used.

The existence of "towns" seems to come from the SNES version. The weapons/items used are also mainly the same as in Link to the Past.

TL;DR - The old Zelda games are all similar in style but this definitely seems to borrow the most from A Link to the Past.[/QUOTE]

When I talk about game design, I'm referring primarily to dungeon design. I can see how the game world and items in 3D Dot are similar to LTTP, but the dungeons seem more like the original Zelda, and I feel that the dungeons are the real meat of the game for both 3D Dot and the Zelda series.

Anyway, you've certainly made some good points, and I probably shouldn't have started an argument. I think what we can agree upon is that any game that garners such close comparison to the Zelda series is a worthwhile experience. :)

[quote name='rapsodist']When I talk about game design, I'm referring primarily to dungeon design. I can see how the game world and items in 3D Dot are similar to LTTP, but the dungeons seem more like the original Zelda, and I feel that the dungeons are the real meat of the game for both 3D Dot and the Zelda series.

Anyway, you've certainly made some good points, and I probably shouldn't have started an argument. I think what we can agree upon is that any game that garners such close comparison to the Zelda series is a worthwhile experience. :)[/QUOTE]

Agreed! I think that's the point we're both going for here.

On an aside I started noticing what you're talking about with similarities to the NES version the more I thought about it.

All in all it's a great game and I'd love to see them do something new with it in a sequel.

Pretty good game and responsible for introducing me to Spelunker so it gets props for that. Platinum was a biiiiiiiitch though mostly due to pure tedium.

This game is amazing, and for this price it's a steal! It's well worth the price and then some! Really brings back some old memories and the customizing of the character is awesome!

Of course it drops even further as soon as I use my $20 credit on it when it was $26 the other day. #-o

Oooo, this is tempting. I don't think it's going to go much lower, either- I just can't afford to jump on it right now. X/ Oh well. For those who get in on this, enjoy my share, too! :D

Seems like the price is $20.49 and eligible for Prime, though it is sold by a third party. Great deal for those who missed when it was $20 in the Goldbox. If you don't trust third party sellers, Amazon has it for $20.99 in the sidebar.

[quote name='scottman']Of course it drops even further as soon as I use my $20 credit on it when it was $26 the other day. #-o[/QUOTE]

Anyone ever trying to buy it from amazon and send it right to their returns department (for the past order) with a gift note with the RMA info?

$20.99 is just $0.99 north of my buy point - but went ahead and pulled the trigger anyways. Guess I'm getting soft in my old age.

[quote name='Dr. Dib']Seems like the price is $20.49 and eligible for Prime, though it is sold by a third party. Great deal for those who missed when it was $20 in the Goldbox. If you don't trust third party sellers, Amazon has it for $20.99 in the sidebar.[/QUOTE]

Fulfilled by Amazon means that the items are within Amazon's warehouse, and they deal with the packaging/shipping, so it's more or less as if you are buying from Amazon directly.

I just bought this last week at $26.99, but I'm using Sony Rewards credit so I'm not too upset. Love the DS reference in the game =)

Thanks OP! Anyone foolish enough to Flame this should be perma-banned. I bought with Katamari forever, $16 at amazon now. VERY nice prices on both.

bread's done
Back