Details:

Borders Rewards Exclusive Offer
Any One Item 40 % off list price
Valid 2/11/11 through 2/14/11 In–Store: Print & Present Coupon
or Show It on Your Mobile Device At Borders.com:
Use Promo Code
BGU1523U

Fine Print:

Valid with Borders Rewards membership only. Offer cannot be combined with any other offer, promotion, sale pricing, coupon, or discount, including group discounts, except Borders Bucks, Borders Rewards Plus 10% off purchase-price and Personal Shopping Day 10% off purchase-price discounts (10% off purchase-price discounts are taken after all other discounts are applied, including this offer and Borders Bucks, if any; Personal Shopping Day discount is valid in-store only). Offer Excludes: Borders Rewards Plus memberships, previous purchases, special orders, shipping, gift cards, coupon books, newspapers, magazines, comics, used merchandise, textbook rentals, audiobook downloads, music downloads, vinyl LPs, Rosetta Stone® software, tax software, video games, all electronics (including eReaders), eReader Protection Plan Packs, and certain eBooks (see the Details section on the applicable eBook product page on Borders.com to determine if excluded), as well as posters, arts & crafts, and scrapbooking items purchased online. Single-use only: One coupon or promo code per customer during the valid period. Original coupon must be relinquished at time of purchase. Void if copied, transferred, and where prohibited by law. Any other use constitutes fraud. Cash value .01¢. Not redeemable for cash. Valid 2/11/11-2/14/11 at U.S. Borders, Borders Express, and Waldenbooks stores and at Borders.com until 11:59 PM PT on the last day of the valid period only

We all know how much we love Borders and their $2.99 Fed Ex Smartpost (I'll be there in two to three weeks) shipping. This if for those who don't mind the wait and can stomach the fine print of the coupon.

M

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really hating Borders but I have a couple of gift cards to use up so I think I better use them up PDQ considering the financial state of Borders.

[quote name='battra92']I'm really hating Borders ...[/QUOTE]

Yeah me too. I don't have gift cards but I was able to use this on an old dvd that is a bit hard to find. Got it about $10 lower than Amazon so I might consider it a small victory when it shows up.

M

Ugh, even with that coupon Amazon was still 2 bucks cheaper due to prime. =/ Thanks anyway OP.

Don't forget you can use free site-to-store shipping on a lot of items. The option comes pretty late in the checkout process, so it's easy to miss.

[quote name='battra92']I'm really hating Borders but I have a couple of gift cards to use up so I think I better use them up PDQ considering the financial state of Borders.[/QUOTE]
Dude, you better use them ASAP. Like today. Seriously. Just buy anything. Use those gift cards up.

Use those cards!!!

Ugh. Not looking good for Borders... This reminds me of the Musicland group when digital music caught fire... The Kindle is going to kill traditional booksellers... and publishers... if it already hasn't.

I have said before, though, these 40% off coupons are great on clearance items and some CD/DVD box sets that it's hard to get at a discount (Tom Petty "Playback", I'm looking at you... in my CD rack... since I bought you with a 40% off coupon a couple of months ago :))

A friend told me a couple weeks ago that Borders was going under, and I called him a liar. I had no idea they were doing so poorly - I guess that's why I keep getting emails begging me to sign up for their Plus Rewards and why the eReader dropped in price. Their prices have always sucked, but the coupons help. I'm not sold on digital books yet, so I kinda want to see them survive. Now, what to buy with this coupon?

Ahahaha, never again with the online ordering, but if I happen to be near a store at some point this weekend maybe I'll stop in and see if there's anything worthwhile.

hey Shrike:D: it's a coupon in the dvd thread, does this get merged too?;)

haven't been to or ordered from borders in years, thanx though op

Damn, assuming this works on DVDs (which is should since it's in this forum) there are actually quite a few good deals, already i see the season sets of skins and Friday Night Lights end up a bit cheaper than at Amazon. If you're looking for Dragon Ball stuff a lot of the DVDs there (like the blue brick sets and the DVD steelbook double features) will end up cheaper too, though most of it is backordered.

Christ some of these prices on their DVDs are insane. $40 for the Iron Man 2 Blu-Ray?

I'm in for Let Me In. Might pick that up tonight actually.

Edit: Nevermind. The Blu-Ray is listed as $37.99 (!!!) and with the discount it's $25, which is $7 more expensive than Amazon. Oy Vey.

Yeah it works on just about anything that's not currently on sale. Oh and this stuff:

Offer Excludes: Borders Rewards Plus memberships, previous purchases, special orders, shipping, gift cards, coupon books, newspapers, magazines, comics, used merchandise, textbook rentals, audiobook downloads, music downloads, vinyl LPs, Rosetta Stone® software, tax software, video games, all electronics (including eReaders), eReader Protection Plan Packs, and certain eBooks (see the Details section on the applicable eBook product page on Borders.com to determine if excluded), as well as posters, arts & crafts, and scrapbooking items purchased online.

M

[quote name='Mikerocosms']Yeah it works on just about anything that's not currently on sale.[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, it'll work on items that are currently on sale as well. It won't stack with the sale price, but if the coupon discount off of MSRP is greater than the sale discount, you'll get the coupon discount instead.

If you go in-store, it's highly recommended to have a smart phone with Internet access so you can check against Amazon pricing in-store. Sometimes, you'll find some good deals and other times, you won't.

[quote name='arcane93']For what it's worth, it'll work on items that are currently on sale as well. It won't stack with the sale price, but if the coupon discount off of MSRP is greater than the sale discount, you'll get the coupon discount instead.[/QUOTE]

Ahh well that's good to know. Thanks.

[quote name='GaMeR_2007']How many times can you use the code? Do you have to do one full order?[/QUOTE]

It claims once per person. I haven't tried it again but I imagine you can try it as a guest more than once.

M

[quote name='GaMeR_2007']How many times can you use the code? Do you have to do one full order?[/QUOTE]

The coupon claims one item. But this actually depends on the cashier. I went in one time and took up 2 items and had 2 coupons. I told the cashier I had 2 coupons and asked if I could use both if I did separate transactions cashier was real nice and let me use just 1 coupon on 1 transaction and got the discount on both items. I tried the same thing another time and got denied so I just got 1 item.
You can use the coupon multiple times over multiple transactions but I know most of the time when I am there there are only 1 or 2 cashiers so that makes it a little hard. Since Borders is nera by for me I have even gone in every day the coupon is valid and used it once each day.

I've heard stories of people will walk out and come back a few minutes later, go to other end of the store and see a different cashier, or leave and come right back in and say they forgot to get something for some one. Again, this requires multiple coupons printed out and may be frowned upon

FYI, in case anyone still hasn't seen:

Borders Bankruptcy Coming Next Week

Borders Group Inc. may file for bankruptcy reorganization as early as Monday or Tuesday, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.

The No. 2 traditional bookstore in the U.S. also plans to close about 200 of its 674 stores and cut thousands of jobs, the newspaper reported on Friday, citing sources it did not name.
As crazedracerguy noted above, if you have any Borders gift cards or other credit (like "Borders Bucks" on your Borders Rewards membership), use them now. As in use them this weekend. Once bankruptcy is filed, Borders may not be allowed, depending on the determination of the bankruptcy court, to redeem them anymore until all of their other debts are settled (which means they may well be lost entirely).

I checked a gift card that my girlfriend has had sitting in her cupboard for months now -- she said she thought she had already used it, but it turned out that she hadn't. So consider it an extra reminder to check around and make sure that you don't have any forgotten gift cards sitting around.

What I find amazing is the sheer level of denial that Borders has going on. I was in there tonight (to use said gift card), and they still, even with bankruptcy looming, tried the hard sell on the "Borders Rewards Plus" on me. Um, no thanks . . . It's downright dishonest to still be trying to sell that to people at this point as if there's nothing wrong.

I ended up picking up the Rewards Plus membership around Black Friday, since they were pushing it and you'd end up with $10 in Borders Bucks after the new year. Since I made a few purchases with it online and in-store, I think I made back my purchase costs, so I'm not out any money if it ends up being semi-useless sometime soon.

Actually, I had to prod the store yesterday to give me the $10 in Borders Bucks I never ended up receiving up until then, and used it to get In Bruges with the 40% off coupon and ended up being around $10.80 after the discount.

Here's one irritation about the 40% off coupon, for one item I looked at:
Deadwood Complete Series on BD - $209.99 at the store :shock:
40% off coupon knocks that down to $125.94
10% Rewards Plus discount takes it down to $113.40, plus tax.

Amazon had it for $90 when they had it on sale in the last couple of weeks. :whistle2:s

[quote name='shrike4242']I ended up picking up the Rewards Plus membership around Black Friday, since they were pushing it and you'd end up with $10 in Borders Bucks after the new year. Since I made a few purchases with it online and in-store, I think I made back my purchase costs, so I'm not out any money if it ends up being semi-useless sometime soon.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I probably wouldn't have really regretted it that much if I'd bought one a few months ago (though I wouldn't really have come out that far ahead either), but like I said, it seems just downright dishonest to me for them to still be selling them now. I considered asking the employee who tried to push it on me how he could do it in good conscience, but I realized that he might well not be aware of where things are at now, and I didn't want to be the one to break it to him that he might be unemployed soon.

[quote name='shrike4242']Here's one irritation about the 40% off coupon, for one item I looked at:
Deadwood Complete Series on BD - $209.99 at the store :shock:
40% off coupon knocks that down to $125.94
10% Rewards Plus discount takes it down to $113.40, plus tax.

Amazon had it for $90 when they had it on sale in the last couple of weeks. :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's kind of why even though I hate to see any company go out of business (competition is good), I'm probably not really going to mourn Borders that much simply because they're just way too expensive. My girlfriend gave me her gift card ("happy valentine's day!" she said -- gee, thanks dear) because she didn't really have anything that she wants right now, so I went tonight to use it because I'm going to be too busy tomorrow . . . and I had a hard time finding anything that I wanted that was a decent deal as well, even with the 40% coupon. I finally settled on the Criterion blu-ray of Army of Shadows, which on the plus side came out to be essentially free with the gift card (I had to pay something like 44 cents in tax beyond it), but at the same time was still more expensive than I usually pay even for Criterion releases. I just don't get how any store can issue a 40% off coupon and still not manage to be competitive. That's some really bad business strategy right there (because really, if they're not competitive with a coupon like that, how can they even dream of competing for customers who don't have coupons?).

[quote name='Mikerocosms']Wow, sucks to hear that lots of people will be loosing their jobs.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. On the plus side, with reports that consumer spending is increasing and the overall retail sector is starting to rebound a bit, hopefully it won't be too difficult for many of them to find comparable jobs elsewhere. I know that when I stopped by the mall today to pick up a pair of prescription glasses that I had ordered, it was really crowded -- I had a hard time finding parking. Around here, at least, people seem to finally be spending money again. Not sure how that trend is going elsewhere, though.

When I stopped in Borders today it was packed. When I went to leave there were probably 10-15 people waiting in line.

Both Barnes and Noble and Borders are overpriced compared to Amazon. At least Borders puts out these 40-50% off coupons on a decent basis, which brings the prices to a comparable price. I would hate to see Borders go out of business because B&N and Amazon will have less competition and therefore less deals/coupons. Of course Amazon will continue to offer the prices they do either way.

I hate the layout of Borders though. Everything is so cramped and a lot of the items are below eye level (at my store at least). At B&N the aisles are wide, the shelves are tall, and the chairs are comfortable.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']When I stopped in Borders today it was packed. When I went to leave there were probably 10-15 people waiting in line.[/QUOTE]

When I was trying to check out at Borders today, there were about fifteen people in line as well -- primarily because there was only one cashier, and he was having a full conversation with the guy he was ringing up. In that time, I also saw a few more people walk toward the line carrying merchandise, see how long the line was, and set the merchandise down and walk out of the store. Unbelievable. Yet, it's what I've come to expect in Borders.

[quote name='arcane93']When I was trying to check out at Borders today, there were about fifteen people in line as well -- primarily because there was only one cashier, and he was having a full conversation with the guy he was ringing up. In that time, I also saw a few more people walk toward the line carrying merchandise, see how long the line was, and set the merchandise down and walk out of the store. Unbelievable. Yet, it's what I've come to expect in Borders.[/QUOTE]

In post after post you show an increasing lack of knowledge about what it means to be about to file for bankruptcy.

[quote name='Rafael122']Christ some of these prices on their DVDs are insane. $40 for the Iron Man 2 Blu-Ray?

I'm in for Let Me In. Might pick that up tonight actually.

Edit: Nevermind. The Blu-Ray is listed as $37.99 (!!!) and with the discount it's $25, which is $7 more expensive than Amazon. Oy Vey.[/QUOTE]

I was in for this too, until I applied the coupon. Can anyone tell me why 40% of $30 to them = $7?

[quote name='sirhansirhan']In post after post you show an increasing lack of knowledge about what it means to be about to file for bankruptcy.[/QUOTE]

WTF are you talking about? I know exactly what it means to be about to file for bankruptcy -- I'm talking about the things that got them to that point in the first place. Customers walking out of the store because of poor service is bad for business, and it's not a new phenomenon at Borders. Of course that's only one of their many, many problems, but it's certainly a contributing factor.

And if you're implying that there was only one cashier because of their financial state, you're entirely wrong. There had been four cashiers at the register only a few minutes before, when there was no line. I had to get one of them to get the blu-ray I wanted out of the locked case for me, and when he came back, instead of starting to ring up customers again, he just set the disc down behind the registers and walked away (he wasn't even helping another customer, he just left). Mind you, the line was starting to form at this point, and all but one of the other cashiers were gone as well. In the meantime, the single cashier that was still there was having an extended (seriously, it was over five minutes) conversation with the customer that he was with (ironically, most of it was trying to talk him into buying Borders Rewards Plus), as if he didn't even see that other customers were waiting. At the point at which it was finally my turn, a couple of the other cashiers were just starting to come back. There were plenty of employees in the store, they just weren't behind the registers where they should have been.

[quote name='AcesHigh']I was in for this too, until I applied the coupon. Can anyone tell me why 40% of $30 to them = $7?[/QUOTE]

Because the coupon is off of MSRP, which they list as $37.99, not off of their normal discounted price of $29.99. 40% of $37.99 is $15.20, and $37.99 - $15.20 = $22.79.

[quote name='formerroadie']Borders is filing chapter 11 and downsizing, not closing completely.[/QUOTE]

I heard that B&N was taking over it and combining the two.

[quote name='formerroadie']Borders is filing chapter 11 and downsizing, not closing completely.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, does anyone really believe that downsizing is going to save them when everything else is business as usual, though? Unfortunately, it's probably only delaying the inevitable.

[quote name='GaMeR_2007']I heard that B&N was taking over it and combining the two.[/QUOTE]

Heh, actually the talk had been of Borders buying Barnes and Noble, back when the holding company that owns B&N was making noise about selling them last year. Somehow I don't think that'll be happening at this point.

I looked up The Walking Dead hardcover volumes online and they are listed at 34.99. Went to the store today and they are 29.99 - 40% knocked it down to 17.99 - 10 border bucks I have to use before end of this month. Got volume 3 today for 8 bucks and some change might go back tomorrow and try and get volume 4 but wish i had some borders bucks left over.

[quote name='arcane93']

Heh, actually the talk had been of Borders buying Barnes and Noble, back when the holding company that owns B&N was making noise about selling them last year. Somehow I don't think that'll be happening at this point.[/QUOTE]

Why not? KMart went bankrupt and then bought Sears.

[quote name='arcane93']WTF are you talking about? I know exactly what it means to be about to file for bankruptcy -- I'm talking about the things that got them to that point in the first place. Customers walking out of the store because of poor service is bad for business, and it's not a new phenomenon at Borders. Of course that's only one of their many, many problems, but it's certainly a contributing factor.

And if you're implying that there was only one cashier because of their financial state, you're entirely wrong. There had been four cashiers at the register only a few minutes before, when there was no line. I had to get one of them to get the blu-ray I wanted out of the locked case for me, and when he came back, instead of starting to ring up customers again, he just set the disc down behind the registers and walked away (he wasn't even helping another customer, he just left). Mind you, the line was starting to form at this point, and all but one of the other cashiers were gone as well. In the meantime, the single cashier that was still there was having an extended (seriously, it was over five minutes) conversation with the customer that he was with (ironically, most of it was trying to talk him into buying Borders Rewards Plus), as if he didn't even see that other customers were waiting. At the point at which it was finally my turn, a couple of the other cashiers were just starting to come back. There were plenty of employees in the store, they just weren't behind the registers where they should have been.[/QUOTE]

Here are some things you don't seem to understand:

1) A store about to file for bankruptcy is not going to be well-staffed. I hear you about how there were other employees in the store and how they were ringing before and blah blah blah, but did it occur to you that you had to fetch an employee from a register to get your blu-ray? Why didn't you bitch that there weren't enough staff members on the floor? They're spread too thin, because they don't have the payroll, because they're about bankrupt. This is pretty simple. Some further extrapolation dictates that those employees who were there are very likely overworked. (As for the five-minute conversation, there's no excuse for that assuming you're not exaggerating, but that's just one employee and not the company.)

2) Your previous fearmongering about how you should spend your giftcards this weekend because they are soon to be worthless is asinine. It is admittedly a possibility, but even if it did happen, this weekend would not be the last opportunity to use them.

I can't say definitively, but I'm thinking that these very coupons are a lot of which led Borders to be in this situation in the first place. I was an assistant manager at a Borders from 2001-2003, and I can assure you that the price Borders pays for practically everything in the store is 50% of MSRP. Their sticker price is MSRP (Barnes & Noble's is, too, but no one ever seems to complain about them being expensive--probably because they never have good coupons in the first place). For the past several years they have all too often had coupons for 40% off any one thing in the store, and lately these coupons have upped to as much as 50%, and you can get the Borders Rewards Plus 10% stacked on top of that. That has to dig into their profit margin severely. Think about it--most stores that do this drastic level of discounting will do it just on one or a handful of specific items--Best Buy will sell the week's new DVDs and blu-rays super cheap, or your local grocery stores will steeply discount a few items a make a big fuss about it, but that type of thing is just to entice you to go to the store. You go in because you know they're selling Cheez-Its for $1 a box, but while you're there you still need milk and eggs and whatever else. Most people only really buy one book at a time, and to give out coupons that peel back almost all of the profit has got to hurt. Even those people who buy more than one book, DVD, or CD in one fell swoop can try to use multiple coupons, go in on different days using the same coupon, get family members to help them buy the stuff they want, or whatever else. The coupons come frequently enough, too, that regular Borders shoppers have been trained to not ever buy anything from them without a coupon, because if there isn't a good one now one is likely to come soon. The unrestrictive and steep discounts are a bad idea. (And before anyone points out that even with these discounts a lot of their prices are higher than Amazon, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc., a great deal of that is because those companies have a lot more market sway, and can get lower prices per unit from distributors. Also, Amazon doesn't incur the fees that having an open, browsable, aesthetically pleasing retail store requires.)

Another point that I think is worth bringing up is that Borders is much, much better to their employees than Barnes & Noble, as well as many other large retail chains. When I first went to Borders I was hired as a shelver (the second-lowest paid job there, behind cashier), and I was hired in at a higher hourly wage than my previous job, as an assistant manager at a GameStop. The benefits are better, too. In the past 15ish years, they've turned up on many "Best Companies to Work For" polls. Being good to your employees is worth a lot, and good to support. If you think the economy and job market are bad now, just wait and see what it's like when our only shopping options are places like Wal-Mart or online retailers.

[quote name='bigdaddy']Why not? KMart went bankrupt and then bought Sears.[/QUOTE]

I think the case with K-Mart was that they owned a lot of land property. They went bankrupt at a time when the economy was up and land prices were through the roof and they were able to sell off a lot of their former store spaces and found themselves sitting on a nice pile of cash.

I really do hope Borders can restructure and be a good store again. I really miss Borders circa 2001/2002.

Anyway, I used my coupon on a book. Yep, I ordered "The Parade's Gone By" by Kevin Bronlow. So it's film related but not an actual film.

[quote name='sirhansirhan']Here are some things you don't seem to understand:

1) A store about to file for bankruptcy is not going to be well-staffed. I hear you about how there were other employees in the store and how they were ringing before and blah blah blah, but did it occur to you that you had to fetch an employee from a register to get your blu-ray? Why didn't you bitch that there weren't enough staff members on the floor? They're spread too thin, because they don't have the payroll, because they're about bankrupt. This is pretty simple. Some further extrapolation dictates that those employees who were there are very likely overworked. (As for the five-minute conversation, there's no excuse for that assuming you're not exaggerating, but that's just one employee and not the company.)[/QUOTE]

And here's the part that you don't seem to understand: Even with the staff having gone to help customers, there could easily have been two cashiers at those registers at the very least once the employee was done helping me to get my blu-ray. When he was done with me, he didn't get pulled away by another customer. He saw that there was a line forming and that the guy who was left there was falling behind, and yet instead of getting back behind the register, he set down my blu-ray behind the counter next to the cashier that was still there and just walked away. It was pretty clear that the guy who was left there needed help from the moment we got back there, but apparently he just didn't care.

And here's the thing -- while I'd be willing to write this one incident, both the guy who walked away and the guy who was having a conversation, off to poor individual employees, this has been representative of my experiences as a customer at Borders for a long time now. Let me give you a few examples:

1. This first one happened about a year and a half or so ago (so, before the point where things were quite as bad as they are now). Over one weekend, I got an email with an ad for a "huge" sale starting on Monday -- claiming big discounts on books, CDs, DVDs, etc. Hey, great, I always used to like it when Borders had sales like this in the past -- since my taste in music in particular tends to be a bit less mainstream, I can often find things that I like in the stuff they're discounting to clear out (Borders used to be one of my go-to places for a lot of things that other local stores didn't carry, until they cut way back on their music section).

So on Monday evening, after I got out of work, I decided to make the rounds of a few local Borders stores. The first store that I went to told me that they "hadn't gotten around to setting up the sale yet" (mind you, this sale was supposed to start at opening that morning, and it was now about 7pm), and told me to come back "in a couple of days" (I did actually stop by a couple of days later because I was in the area again, and they still didn't have the sale set up). At the second store that I went to, they hadn't even heard of the sale yet. When I pulled up the ad on my phone, it was the first that anyone there, including the manager, had even seen it. They said they'd "look into it". The third store didn't have any sale items out either, but there were also hardly any employees in the store to even ask about it -- the only ones that I could find in the whole store were a couple at the register, and they had a long line. I decided not to even bother and just left.

Oh, and the kicker? I sent Borders corporate customer service an email telling them about my experience. I was polite, but firm in my disappointment that I had wasted an entire evening pursuing a sale that didn't actually exist in any of the stores I went to. I thought they'd probably like to know when their stores were dropping the ball so badly. You know what they did? They didn't thank me for the info, they didn't apologize -- hell, they didn't even respond. What they did do was remove me from their email mailing list (though only for actual Borders email, I still continued to get the "Perks" spam that I never wanted in the first place).

2. The past three times that I've tried to use their "reserve in store" option on the website, I haven't actually gotten the item that I've reserved:

The first time, the item was apparently never in the store in the first place, despite being listed online as "likely in store". Ok, that happens. Not a big deal if it's only once. Unfortunately, it wasn't.

The second time, I wanted a new release CD that I knew they'd only probably get a few copies of at most, so I did a reserve request first thing in the morning when I got in to work (so probably about 9am). By 7pm that evening, I still hadn't heard from them, but since I was going to be near the store anyway, I just stopped in. No one had even looked at the reserve request yet. Ten hours later. And as a kicker, the cashier that I spoke to about it remembered having sold what was apparently the last copy about an hour earlier.

The third time was when they were running one of their 50% off blu-ray coupons, and there was a blu-ray that I wanted which only one store in a reasonable driving distance had in stock. I put in the reserve request on the website at midnight (so, after the store was closed). The next day, when I hadn't heard from them by 1:30pm (so they'd been open for three and a half hours at that point, when the email confirming that the request had been received said that I should expect to hear from them within two hours), I called. Again, no one had even looked at the request yet. And again, they had already sold the item earlier that morning. The manager asked me if I wouldn't mind taking the DVD version instead (yes, I would mind, thank you very much).

Needless to say, I've stopped bothering with their "reserve in store" option -- I don't know why they even offer it, if they can't be bothered to hold up their end of the deal.

Edit: I should also note that these weren't all at one store, so it's not like there's just one bad apple in the bunch. These were at three different stores (Tysons Corner, VA, Sterling, VA, and Manassas, VA, in that order, if anyone's counting). Far as I can tell, it's a chain-wide problem.

3. This one was the most recent, only a couple of weeks ago. I ordered a blu-ray online using their "ship to store" option to get free shipping. They sent me a tracking number, but told me to wait until I heard from the store to go in and pick the item up. Well, according to the tracking info, the parcel was delivered on Friday afternoon. I didn't hear from them, but I was too busy that day anyway to make it there, so I let it go. Over the weekend when I still hadn't heard from them, I called them to ask whether they had it (I'd had them just not bother calling me in the past). I was told that the mail "gets delivered to another building" which they "can't get into over the weekend" and that I'd have to call back on Monday. What the hell? So, ok, no choice, whatever. Monday comes, and by 2:30pm, I still haven't heard from them. So I call, and it turns out that they still haven't checked their mail -- from Friday! The guy that I talk to tells me he'll go check it and call me back. A few minutes later, he calls -- sure enough, it's there. I can't help but wonder how many more days it would have taken them to check their mail if I hadn't called.

So no, the understaffed store this past weekend has not (by far) been my only negative customer experience with Borders. I keep having bad experiences with them, again and again, nearly every time I try to shop there. And I know a number of other people with similar stories. I know that I'm shopping at Borders a lot less these days than I used to, specifically because of these experiences. I can only imagine that others are doing the same.

[quote name='sirhansirhan']2) Your previous fearmongering about how you should spend your giftcards this weekend because they are soon to be worthless is asinine. It is admittedly a possibility, but even if it did happen, this weekend would not be the last opportunity to use them.[/QUOTE]

You're right, it's probably not going to be instant. But here's the point (and here's how bankruptcy works): Once bankruptcy is declared, the bankruptcy court will make a plan for Borders to pay off what debts they can, picking and choosing who gets paid first and how much. As far as the court is concerned, gift cards are just another debt on the pile. Quite often, when the financial state of the company is bad enough that not everyone can get paid, the court will decide that other creditors (who are owed much larger sums of money than individual gift card holders) get priority over gift cards, and gift cards cannot be honored until (and unless) those other debts get paid. Will it happen? Hard to say, as every bankruptcy plan is individual to the company and situation. If it does happen, when will it happen? Again, hard to say -- but it could be at any point after bankruptcy is declared (sometimes it takes months for a plan to be developed and approved, sometimes it gets fast tracked), and there will be no warning when it does. To my mind, it's better to just get those gift cards out of the way before it's even a risk. If you want to take a chance, more power to you, but people should be aware that the risk exists.

[quote name='sirhansirhan']I can't say definitively, but I'm thinking that these very coupons are a lot of which led Borders to be in this situation in the first place.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree with you on that point. I've wondered for a long time now how they make any money with those coupons. Honestly, from what I know of the profit margins on CDs, anyway (I had a good friend who managed a local record store in college, so I got a lot of the inside scoop on that market), I'd be surprised if their markup on those is even close to 50%. One has to presume that there was a plan behind these coupons in which they would somehow still profit off of the deal, but I suspect that said plan worked better on paper than it did in reality. I keep expecting them to stop doing the coupons, or at least cut them back, and yet the coupons keep coming. I'm honestly kind of baffled by it.

On thing that B&N has been a lot smarter about has been the coupons. Most of their coupons are in the 10%, 15%, or at most 20% range, and other than maybe the new member coupons, I've never seen one come out at more than 30%. Even with the discount, they're probably still making at least a small profit off of them. And the coupons aren't continuous -- they're maybe once or twice a month, if that.

The other thing that B&N has been a lot smarter about -- their members program. By charging a $25/year membership fee, they're doing a few things. First, you're not getting a 10% discount on the first $250 worth of items that you purchase from them, you're just pre-paying that portion of your purchases. By the time they're giving you a discount at all, they've already made some money off of you. Secondly, by charging for membership, they're essentially making customers buy their own customer loyalty. When you've got that card in your wallet that you paid $25 for, you feel inclined to "get your money's worth" out of it. How? By buying more stuff, of course. With a free card, that incentive isn't really there. Borders caught onto this too little, too late. To be honest, I'm still not entirely sure they actually get it (if they did, they wouldn't be stacking the discount on top of 40 and 50% off coupons on a regular basis); it seems more like at this point they're just desperately trying something that appears to be working for the other guy.

[quote name='sirhansirhan']Being good to your employees is worth a lot, and good to support. If you think the economy and job market are bad now, just wait and see what it's like when our only shopping options are places like Wal-Mart or online retailers.[/QUOTE]

No argument there either. I'm not pleased to see Borders go so far downhill. They used to be one of my favorite stores to shop at, and now I can barely even stand to go in there.

[quote name='GaMeR_2007']I heard that B&N was taking over it and combining the two.[/QUOTE]

Bill Ackman runs a large hedge fund that has huge holdings in both Borders and B&N. He was the one looking to combine the 2 because he would then make a killing. Another even larger shareholder at B&N made sure that it wouldn't happen.

bread's done
Back