(Dead) 50% off Criterion Collection Valentine's Day Sale - Starts 12PM EST

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
The Criterion Collection's official Store is having a 50% off sale starting 12PM EST today. It's valid on all in-stock DVD and Blu-rays, and is taken off the MSRP. Shipping is free with $50 or more, otherwise it's like $6 per movie, meaning this is only good if you're buying a few..

The Promo code for the sale is SWAK

http://www.criterion.com/

Source: Blu-ray.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like they're going to do a "redo" for anyone that couldn't order an item, for backordered movies:

[quote name='From Criterion email']Wow! That was a crazy twenty-four hours.

We were so excited for our Valentine’s Day sale, which was supposed to be a chance to show off the new My Criterion features of our website. But as soon as the sale began, we knew we had a problem. With the initial flood of traffic, the site ground to a virtual halt, and our developers spent the day disabling many of the new features in order to speed up the site. The performance improved but still isn’t where we’d like it to be when there are many people using the site at the same time.

We know this has been a frustrating experience for many of you, so please know we take our customer service very seriously and will respond to all of your e-mail questions. Our customer support team is typing away as you are reading this, so hang in there! Also, a big thank-you to the people who wrote in to say they had a positive experience during the sale. Your kind words mean a lot!

If there was something you wanted but you were unable to get your order through before our stock ran out, now’s your chance. We’ve set up a promo code that will allow you to backorder any title that went out of stock before the sale ended, and we'll honor the sale price. No need to rush to the site; the code will be active until 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Thursday, February 16. Quantities are limited to one copy of each title/edition per customer. Please note that we cannot combine these backorders with previously placed orders.

Just enter the promotional code REDO on your shopping cart page at Criterion.com to apply the discount. Please bear in mind that the discount is only for backordered items (you will see a “Temporarily out of stock” message when adding them to your shopping cart). Please note it will take a few weeks for these items to be back in stock.

Thanks again for your patience and support!
The Criterion Collection

* Please note: we ship our Blu-rays and DVDs only within the United States and to English-speaking Canada.[/quote]

So I got my Godzilla from Amazon today...... and it's not in a plastic case.

So glad I hadn't yet paid to replace my Bottle Rocket case with one of the plastic ones, what's the point if they are still going to release some titles in cardboard?

[quote name='DestroVega']So I got my Godzilla from Amazon today...... and it's not in a plastic case.

So glad I hadn't yet paid to replace my Bottle Rocket case with one of the plastic ones, what's the point if they are still going to release some titles in cardboard?[/QUOTE]

For the most part the cardboard cases at this point are used for titles that have books that are too large to fit in the plastic cases, or for titles that have multiple discs. At least the cardboard cases that they're using now are sturdier and nicer than the ones they were using back when they first started releasing blu-rays.

Yeah I mean, it's not a HUGE deal to me, but if they all aren't going to be in plastic, why pay extra for any title? I was under the assumption they did away with cardboard totally.

[quote name='arcane93']For the most part the cardboard cases at this point are used for titles that have books that are too large to fit in the plastic cases, or for titles that have multiple discs. At least the cardboard cases that they're using now are sturdier and nicer than the ones they were using back when they first started releasing blu-rays.[/QUOTE]Guess I should be expecting my copy of Fanny and Alexander to show up in a cardboard case. Yay. :roll:

[quote name='shrike4242']Guess I should be expecting my copy of Fanny and Alexander to show up in a cardboard case. Yay. :roll:[/QUOTE]

I own that title. It's definitely a cardboard case.

^So you agree with what I'm thinking right? I don't know why they bothered selling plastic cases if they were not going to be the standard, unless it's just a cash grab.

[quote name='DestroVega']^So you agree with what I'm thinking right? I don't know why they bothered selling plastic cases if they were not going to be the standard, unless it's just a cash grab.[/QUOTE]

Meh, they did it because there was demand. A cash grab? I suppose you could call it that. But people bitched a lot about those flimsy early cardboard cases, to the point that they decided to stop using them. Then they started selling the replacement cases so that people wouldn't bitch about the fact that they had already bought the titles in the flimsy cardboard cases. Really, there was no way they could win in this scenario, someone's going to complain. So they might as well cash in on those people willing to drop the cash on the replacement cases.

FWIW, here's a list of the current blu-ray titles that have still been released in cardboard cases since they stopped using the initial flimsy ones, which are only available in cardboard cases:

Amarcord
America Lost and Found: The BBS Story
The Battle of Algiers
Breathless
Carlos
Dazed and Confused
Fanny & Alexander
Godzilla
The Leopard
Night of the Hunter
Salo
Seven Samurai
Sweet Smell of Success
Three Colors

So if you really want to avoid cardboard cases that badly, those are the titles to skip.

[quote name='shrike4242']Looks like they're going to do a "redo" for anyone that couldn't order an item, for backordered movies:[/QUOTE]

Ugh I'm angry at myself for missing this. Was busy today and I figured they wouldn't do anything till later (When things were back in stock)

bread's done
Back