[DEAD] 50+% off on Select FUNimation Anime / LA Titles inc. BDs @ BestBuy.com

WTK

CAGiversary!
FUNimation Sale @ BestBuy.com (and also B&M?)

Anime (Blu-ray)
Anime (DVD)
Live-Action

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[DEAD - REFERENCE ONLY] FUNimation Sale @ BestBuy.com (and also B&M) [DEAD - REFERENCE ONLY] | Expires 7/24/10

Anime (Blu-ray)
Anime (DVD)
Live-Action

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Dragon Boxes all the way. It sounds like you already know about the faux-widescreen bullshit Funimation pulled with the orange sets and don't care too much (Huge chunks of the picture are missing, why does this not bother people?!), but the video quality on the Dragon Boxes is also remastered and *drastically* improved from the oversaturated, oversharpened video of the orange sets as well.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input, I went ahead and grabbed dragon box 2 and 3, I guess if for some reason I like the orange sets better I should be able to sell the dragon box sets and not be out too much.

For all the negatives people cite about the orange brick sets, I don't find them to be all that bad. I initially bought the Dragon Box, but found keeping up with them to be too pricey. The orange bricks cost me like $11 or less when Gohastings.com had a 30% sale and I found the issues to be minimal.

Edit: Here's a direct screencap from an episode I was just watching (season 4 orange brick sets). I don't have the dragon box from this series so I can't compare. It doesn't look that bad to me

cap002.jpg

I like both versions... but I prefer DB boxes over orange sets... I have the whole orange bricksets and the first three DB Boxes... PQ is indeed much better in the DB Boxes... But Orange bricksets is pretty good but not like DB Boxes...
I don't care for US music for crap... Original Jap+English Dub is the way I watch it. If you want the US music Dub version, go with the orange sets... otherwise, get the DB Boxes.
I only buy the DB Boxes when they go on sale because they are more expensive... love the artbook in them :whistle2:D

[quote name='Greenboom98']I like both versions... but I prefer DB boxes over orange sets... I have the whole orange bricksets and the first three DB Boxes... PQ is indeed much better in the DB Boxes... But Orange bricksets is pretty good but not like DB Boxes...
I don't care for US music for crap... Original Jap+English Dub is the way I watch it. If you want the US music Dub version, go with the orange sets... otherwise, get the DB Boxes.
I only buy the DB Boxes when they go on sale because they are more expensive... love the artbook in them :whistle2:D[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify, the orange bricks also have the original Japanese track and English subs. It's the only way I'd watch it.

In terms of presentation, the Dragon Boxes are a million times nicer. I love the hard slipcase it comes in, and sweet looking cases for the discs. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe most, if not all of the contents found in the DB Box "Dragonbooks" are also found in the softcover booklets with the orange brick sets, the hardcover one just has a different layout and much nicer presentation.

[quote name='ssjmichael']For all the negatives people cite about the orange brick sets, I don't find them to be all that bad. I initially bought the Dragon Box, but found keeping up with them to be too pricey. The orange bricks cost me like $11 or less when Gohastings.com had a 30% sale and I found the issues to be minimal.

Edit: Here's a direct screencap from an episode I was just watching (season 4 orange brick sets). I don't have the dragon box from this series so I can't compare. It doesn't look that bad to me

cap002.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Your right that looks great.

Having just sat down with my son and watched three episodes from dragon box 2 I can see a difference in that it seems much less shaky than the orange sets, and I did notice far less random black spots(I assume they are the result of the old film eroding). However, I do think there is something to be said for the digital remastering of the orange bricks, I can see both being a completely vaild choice.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']You're not bothered by shots like this?

http://www.db-destiny.net/DBZ_SEASON01_DISC2-4.jpg[/QUOTE]

Haven't seen a shot like that, but I'm positive those types of close-up crops are minimal. I haven't seen anything close to that so far. Do you have the DB Box comparison to that to show how much we're missing there? Also do you own any of the orange bricks yourself, or are you basing your opinion solely on pics found on the net? The reason I ask, is because I was skeptical about these sets after seeing some comparisons of the original and what was cropped, but after getting them, I don't feel bothered at all by the cropping. The pros outweigh the cons for me.

Also showing a still shot of a closeup doesn't really show much of anything considering the show is constantly in motion. How long was that close-up shown for, for example? That could have been for a millisecond for all we know before they zoomed out, making it completely unnoticeable.

Hey would you guys give me some advice on which anime you think I'll like i recently started InuYasha and i loved the show and I wanted to start watching a different anime but i dont really know what would be sometime like InuYasha or something good any suggestions?

[quote name='slowdive21']^^^Did inuyasha ever end the storyline? Did the movies finish the main story after the series ended?[/QUOTE]

Im not sure i haven't finished the serious yet currently: Episode 89

[quote name='slowdive21']^^^Did inuyasha ever end the storyline? Did the movies finish the main story after the series ended?[/QUOTE]
They released a second series to finish it recently, I dont think its been released here yet though.

If anyone is still looking for Samurai 7, the BB in Geneva, IL has one left marked at $19.99. I already have a copy, so I left it there for someone else.

So as someone just starting to get into Dragon Ball z, is the Dragon Ball Z: Dead Zone / World's Strongest (Double Feature) worth getting? I noticed some in stock at my local Best Buy.

Any others still on the list that are worth checking out? Any thoughts on Black Lagoon?

thanks

[quote name='just joe']So as someone just starting to get into Dragon Ball z, is the Dragon Ball Z: Dead Zone / World's Strongest (Double Feature) worth getting? I noticed some in stock at my local Best Buy.

Any others still on the list that are worth checking out? Any thoughts on Black Lagoon?

thanks[/QUOTE]
Among the first DBZ movies, I preferred Tree of Might, but the Dead Zone wasn't entirely typical DBZ if I remember right, and actually does figure into an arc later on, so it's worth seeing, and you won't find it much cheaper I'd bet. And World's Strongest does have its good points. Those early movies were the best, before super saiyans pushed their way in.

Black Lagoon is entertaining. It's got the most badass psycho female protagonist I think I've ever seen. I'd definitely recommend it at that price. Only thing is the language is pretty vulgar, and sometimes I feel like it's just for the sake of vulgarity.

[quote name='Shinpachi'].

Black Lagoon is entertaining. It's got the most badass psycho female protagonist I think I've ever seen. I'd definitely recommend it at that price. Only thing is the language is pretty vulgar, and sometimes I feel like it's just for the sake of vulgarity.[/QUOTE]

That kind of thing really does bother me, glad you pointed it out.

[quote name='just joe']That kind of thing really does bother me, glad you pointed it out.[/QUOTE]
I should clarify, it's vulgar relative to any other anime, but it's not like a Kevin Smith movie or anything.

They "spiced up" the English dialogue for sure. The show still kicks ass. Listen to it in Japanese with subtitles if you must.

Picked up Baccano with some rewards certificates since the price was good. Looks like it should be interesting and I have heard good things about the series.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Haven't seen a shot like that, but I'm positive those types of close-up crops are minimal. I haven't seen anything close to that so far. Do you have the DB Box comparison to that to show how much we're missing there? Also do you own any of the orange bricks yourself, or are you basing your opinion solely on pics found on the net? The reason I ask, is because I was skeptical about these sets after seeing some comparisons of the original and what was cropped, but after getting them, I don't feel bothered at all by the cropping. The pros outweigh the cons for me.

Also showing a still shot of a closeup doesn't really show much of anything considering the show is constantly in motion. How long was that close-up shown for, for example? That could have been for a millisecond for all we know before they zoomed out, making it completely unnoticeable.[/QUOTE]

Oh christ this again, having owned the first two orange box seasons I couldn't get rid of them fast enough. You want a really good example of long panning over a cropped off head? Go look at the Nappa fight I swear his full head only shows up in roughly two shots. The rest of the time the shit was cut down to his eyebrows making the entire thing look ridiculous. I have no problem if you want to go to the cheap route but that doesn't change the fact Funi chopped the show to pieces to do their "remaster" which at the same time oversaturated the colors to the point detail was lost. Clothing and teeth of all things suffer the most from this. Long story short fuck those sets the Dragonboxes or Kai outdo them easily.

bread's done
Back