[DEAD] Alpha Protocol (PC) - $6.75 - Greenman Gaming/Steam

wasurenai

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Right now, Greenman Gaming is offering a SEGA Action Bundle for $6.75, which includes Alpha Protocol, Golden Axe, and Shinobi III. The latter two require their "capsule" client to play, but the former is actually just a Steam activation code.

I have purchased this bundle myself and can confirm it is legitimate. Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to do this for Alpha Protocol but I am a little leary of the site. Has anyone else used this site before? Is it legit?

[quote name='CountChoculitis']I want to do this for Alpha Protocol but I am a little leary of the site. Has anyone else used this site before? Is it legit?[/QUOTE]
It's legit, I bought some stuff from them awhile ago (Beat Hazard iirc). They actually have an option to trade in your past purchases for store credit as well. Seems like a neat idea, never used the trade-in though.

Yes, they are legit, they periodically send me reminders that I can get credit for trading in "Necrovision: Lost Company", which I got for free. How trading in a downloaded game works, I don't know, haven't bothered to find out.

I might get around to playing Lost Company again sometime, I hear there is a patch out for it now, the graphics were freaking atrocious when I loaded it up early this year or late last year or whenever I got it, which was shortly after it came out.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']If I may, why is Steam mentioned in the topic title? By any chance, does Alpha Protocol register on Steam?

If that's the case, I'm in.[/QUOTE]
I couldn't find it on the Steam CD key list but the AP page on Greenman says it requires Steam and therefore can't be traded in.

[quote name='rybrad']I couldn't find it on the Steam CD key list but the AP page on Greenman says it requires Steam and therefore can't be traded in.[/QUOTE]
Hahaha, dang it, I tried to delete that post before anyone saw that I didn't read Wasurenai's message in its entirety. Yeah, on the Alpha Protocol page, it reads:

"This game requires Steam(TM) in order to install and run and so cannot be traded or refunded."

Not bad for $6.75; It's certainly the cheapest price yet. (Steam's Give and Get sale had Alpha Protocol for $7.50.) Plus, you get two 18+-year old Genesis games with the purchase!

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Hahaha, dang it, I tried to delete that post before anyone saw that I didn't read Wasurenai's message in its entirety. Yeah, on the Alpha Protocol page, it reads:

"This game requires Steam(TM) in order to install and run and so cannot be traded or refunded."

Not bad for $6.75; It's certainly the cheapest price yet. (Steam's Give and Get sale had Alpha Protocol for $7.50.) Plus, you get two 18+-year old Genesis games with the purchase![/QUOTE]
In fairness to not reading the post, I checked the official Steam CD key list (which it is not on at the moment) so I can understand some confusion. On a related note, AP has some annoying issues but it is actually a really fun game. For this price I would definitely recommend any RPG fan to pick this game up.

can anyone else confirm they've activated AP to their steam account with this deal?

I kind of wish I didn't have to buy the two sega roms with it :)

[quote name='Subliminal']can anyone else confirm they've activated AP to their steam account with this deal?

I kind of wish I didn't have to buy the two sega roms with it :)[/QUOTE]
I think it's safe to assume that Alpha Protocol will activate on Steam. As for the old Genesis games, you can just not download them.

Sadly, the two Genesis games cannot be traded either.

[quote name='Subliminal']can anyone else confirm they've activated AP to their steam account with this deal?

For what it's worth, I thought Shinobi III was the best of the series on the Genesis/MegaDrive. The action is much more fluid and the presentation is stellar. The other two were really stiff and didn't interest me long.

Speaking of Genesis games, someone mentioned that the game needed to run in their client. Is the client unobtrusive? I already own both Genesis games, but I'm curious about future deals I may be interested in.

Alpha Protocol is downloading in steam as I type this. You get the code emailed to you in your receipt. The download link for AP just takes you to the official steam installer. Don't have to install the site client or even look at the two other games at all.

This code worked exactly like when I buy a steam game from D2D. Just punch in the code and go.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']I think it's safe to assume that Alpha Protocol will activate on Steam. As for the old Genesis games, you can just not download them.

Sadly, the two Genesis games cannot be traded either.[/QUOTE]

activated just fine

[quote name='NeoGutsman']For what it's worth, I thought Shinobi III was the best of the series on the Genesis/MegaDrive. The action is much more fluid and the presentation is stellar. The other two were really stiff and didn't interest me long.

Speaking of Genesis games, someone mentioned that the game needed to run in their client. Is the client unobtrusive? I already own both Genesis games, but I'm curious about future deals I may be interested in.[/QUOTE]

You can run the genesis games without their client (capsule), you just need to authenticate the game first/once in a while.

And I find it annoying that the genesis games have to be installed and run in their own folder when you can actually choose the games inside the sega classics launcher.
So for each game, you have to run each individual sega classics launcher.

Luckily, you can copy the ROM of each game to just one of the games folder and it will show up on the sega classics launcher :D

Great. I tried to bundle and it hung-up on the payment submission page. So now the two Sega games show up in my "Games" list, but AP doesn't; and I didn't receive a key in my email, either. So I have no idea if my credit card's been charged and it glitched in not giving me the game, or if it wasn't charged and it glitched in giving me the Sega games.

I don't wanna do it again on the offchance my credit card gets charged twice. I've sent a support email; I hope they get to it before the deal expires.

One nice bit of news regarding this game: when it launched, it used a particularly brutal form of limited-activation DRM called Uniloc, but this DRM has since been completely removed, apparently.

The problem is, I'm not sure that the patch that removes the DRM has been submitted by Sega to Steam, to add it to their auto-patching system (given Sega's general laziness with PC, I wouldn't be surprised), so if this is true and the Steam download isn't the latest version (v1.1), you can download the patch to remove the DRM (and fix some other stuff) here.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']One nice bit of news regarding this game: when it launched, it used a particularly brutal form of limited-activation DRM called Uniloc, but this DRM has since been completely removed, apparently.

The problem is, I'm not sure that the patch that removes the DRM has been submitted by Sega to Steam, to add it to their auto-patching system (given Sega's general laziness with PC, I wouldn't be surprised), so if this is true and the Steam download isn't the latest version (v1.1), you can download the patch to remove the DRM (and fix some other stuff) here.[/QUOTE]

The steam version is already v1.1 apparently.

OMG I bought the Sega pack from the OP and when I clicked submit it took me back to the home page of the site. I didn't get any confirmation email or anything and the website doesn't show that I bought anything. Yet my bank says I have a hold for the price of the pack. Which means it went through.

What should I do?

Yup missed is also. Just came to check on this thread this morning. No biggie as I am sure steam will have it as low if not lower for the christmas sale. Guess I will probably get Amnesia then .....

Having played the training missions and the first main mission, I have to say I'm highly impressed considering the reviews. The game is very forgiving, allowing for experimentation in dialogue and upgrade choices while still remaining fun. I look forward to a likely second playthrough as a different specialization.

Yeah I thought Alpha Protocol had a lot of potential. It's a shame they just didn't tighten up the "cheap feeling" of the game because if the animations and AI would've been better, it probably could have scored higher.

bread's done
Back