[DEAD] Astro Gaming $50 for $100

viisual

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
DEAD

The headphones aren't the best, but the Mixamp is highly regarded.

Pretty interesting deal.

http://www.rockars.com/rockars/50-for-100-at-astro

If anyone is looking to get a a40 Mixamp, this seems to be a pretty good route to take.

• Code valid for 3 months
  • Available for multiple purchase
  • Only 1 code can be redeemed per order
  • Limited quantity
  • Expires 1/30/2012
Edit: I looked, and didn't see this posted yet, sorry if it has been - I tried.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking for feedback on this site also...

Does this mean that one code can be used multiple times before it expires?

If so here's what I had in mind:

Purchase the $50 for $100 through this site.

Purchase the A30 for $129.99 - the $100 coupon = $29.99

Purchase the Mixamp for $129.99 - the $100 coupon = $29.99

So all together you've bought this setup for $110, unless my math is wrong, which is possible since i'm typing this on my android lol!

[quote name='IronSerif']Looking for feedback on this site also...

Does this mean that one code can be used multiple times before it expires?

If so here's what I had in mind:

Purchase the $50 for $100 through this site.

Purchase the A30 for $129.99 - the $100 coupon = $29.99

Purchase the Mixamp for $129.99 - the $100 coupon = $29.99

So all together you've bought this setup for $110, unless my math is wrong, which is possible since i'm typing this on my android lol![/QUOTE]

Your math is wrong. $30 + $30 + $50 + $50 = $160. You need to get two coupons, not one.

If this is legit I may consider this for the wireless mix amp.

[quote name='jmbreci']Your math is wrong. $30 + $30 + $50 + $50 = $160. You need to get two coupons, not one.

If this is legit I may consider this for the wireless mix amp.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, you can buy the code multiple times, not use it multiple times.

I just registered on Astro's site a couple days ago. I'll see if I can make a thread in their forums asking if this is legit.

Great thanks for the clarification guys. That would have been super sweet if you could use the code multiple times. Wishful thinking eh :)

[quote name='Evolved']Yeah, you can buy the code multiple times, not use it multiple times.

I just registered on Astro's site a couple days ago. I'll see if I can make a thread in their forums asking if this is legit.[/QUOTE]

Hey guys! I e-mailed support and got an answer back - you can only use each coupon once per Astro Gaming purchase.

Also, they are legit, I checked with astro's facebook, you can see here - http://www.facebook.com/astrogaming/posts/10150329996648468

does that mean if you make two orders, it would work?

Order #1 - Mixamp +coupon save $100

Order #2 - Headset +coupon save $100

How are these guys for warranties/support? I usually have bad luck with headsets and they crap out in no time, but I'd be willing to drop $80 for a decent pair if I know I'll have them around for a while, even if they break.

They are great on the warranty and support side. If anything goes wrong in a year they usually replace anything that needs to be

[quote name='Romis']does that mean if you make two orders, it would work?

Order #1 - Mixamp +coupon save $100

Order #2 - Headset +coupon save $100[/QUOTE]

You are not saving $100 each time. You are spending $50 so you save $50. Do the math to because using one coupon on an entire system is actually a better deal then using 2 coupons and 2 orders.

astro a40s (headset only) $199.99. $100 + $50 (the coupon)
mixamp $129.99. $79.99 + $50 (the coupon)

a40 audio system $249.99. $150 + $50 (the coupon)

So clearly getting the audiosystem is a better deal. same goes for the a30s.

[quote name='broadbandit']They are great on the warranty and support side. If anything goes wrong in a year they usually replace anything that needs to be[/QUOTE]

But only for a year? Were I richer man, I'd be all over this, but as it stands, I don't mind going on the cheap side. Maybe if I run in to some extra cash in the next few months, this deal has quite the expiration date.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']But only for a year? Were I richer man, I'd be all over this, but as it stands, I don't mind going on the cheap side. Maybe if I run in to some extra cash in the next few months, this deal has quite the expiration date.[/QUOTE]

I have owned 2 headsets. 1 for a year, and the other for 3 years (which I am currently using). The are actually pretty good with support past the first year too.

[quote name='broadbandit']I have owned 2 headsets. 1 for a year, and the other for 3 years (which I am currently using). The are actually pretty good with support past the first year too.[/QUOTE]

I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the info.

Love the headset, but horrible experience for me with support. I can barely hear my friends on XBL. PS3 and PC is great. They had my set for a month before they returned it without a fix. I have tried 4 or 5 times since then trying to get my set fixed. They won't do shit but tell me they already tried. I'm not the only one with this XBL problem that went unsolved.

[quote name='Japakneez']Love the headset, but horrible experience for me with support. I can barely hear my friends on XBL. PS3 and PC is great. They had my set for a month before they returned it without a fix. I have tried 4 or 5 times since then trying to get my set fixed. They won't do shit but tell me they already tried. I'm not the only one with this XBL problem that went unsolved.[/QUOTE]

I've had the complete opposite experience. I broke the optical port cover on my mixamp after I had it for 2 years. They sent me a whole new mixamp. I didn't even have to send the broken one back.

[quote name='Ronzilla']Are there any free shipping coupons? Never ordered from Astro before but tempted to from this deal.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure there's only 1 coupon per purchase, so even if there was, you'd have to drop the $100 credit.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I'm pretty sure there's only 1 coupon per purchase, so even if there was, you'd have to drop the $100 credit.[/QUOTE]

Oh. I figured since this worked like a gift card, it would allow for free shipping coupons.
Just by looking around the internet though, it looks like it's pretty hard to find any coupons unless you're an MLG sponsored player :cry:.

This really isn't that good of a deal if you plan on buying a headset with mixamp. The $250 combo pack is really only 20% off and the $280 wireless combo pack, which I was going to get, is only like ~17% off... Deals like this come and go all the time with these headset companies. This deal just LOOKS really good because you get $100 for half off, but nothing in their store is really going to make that a good purchase unless you already have a headset and need a mixamp only, or just want Astro apparel.

I'll pass until I see at least 30% off. Then I'll bite

[quote name='Darknuke']This really isn't that good of a deal if you plan on buying a headset with mixamp. The $250 combo pack is really only 20% off and the $280 wireless combo pack, which I was going to get, is only like ~17% off... Deals like this come and go all the time with these headset companies. This deal just LOOKS really good because you get $100 for half off, but nothing in their store is really going to make that a good purchase unless you already have a headset and need a mixamp only, or just want Astro apparel.

I'll pass until I see at least 30% off. Then I'll bite[/QUOTE]
You'll be waiting a very long time. You can only get astro headsets through astro and they rarely offer deals. They offer a 15% code for PAX and I believe another for christmas.

[quote name='yesokyesok']Btw, Shipping & Tax kills this for me.[/QUOTE]
I wonder if you can use the code if you buy from their ebay store. Shipping is only $6 there.

where the fuck was this last year? coulda definitely used this when I bought my mixamp. still don't regret the purchase, though.

[quote name='yesokyesok']Some people on this forum need to go back and retake a course in Mathematics and Finance.[/QUOTE]

LOL agreed, the first page has a lot of busted maths. =D

Now I have to decide if I should replace my Tritton AX 720's with a set of Astro A30's. I like the AX 720's, but I travel a lot and these are pretty bulky to travel with. Don't know anyone with A30's to try out. Everyone around this area uses Turtle Beach and Trittons.

[quote name='IronSerif']Now I have to decide if I should replace my Tritton AX 720's with a set of Astro A30's. I like the AX 720's, but I travel a lot and these are pretty bulky to travel with. Don't know anyone with A30's to try out. Everyone around this area uses Turtle Beach and Trittons.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't. If you get the mixamp and some Sennheiser's or better, it would be worth it but having used both the 720's and A30's, it's not really an upgrade.

[quote name='aznguyen316']LOL agreed, the first page has a lot of busted maths. =D[/QUOTE]

Hey my math is on the front page and its right :(

[quote name='broadbandit']Hey my math is on the front page and its right :([/QUOTE]

I'll give you props only because of the Converge Jane Doe avatar.

[quote name='IronSerif']Now I have to decide if I should replace my Tritton AX 720's with a set of Astro A30's. I like the AX 720's, but I travel a lot and these are pretty bulky to travel with. Don't know anyone with A30's to try out. Everyone around this area uses Turtle Beach and Trittons.[/QUOTE]

Oh god the 720s get blown away by the A30+mixamp. Tritton isn't in the same league.

Also i read alot of people advocating Mixamp and their own headphone set such as Sennheiser....good on console but that doesn't make sense if you are on PC. If you have a good soundcard you will get better audio instead of going through the limited features of the mixamp.

[quote name='Japakneez']Love the headset, but horrible experience for me with support. I can barely hear my friends on XBL. PS3 and PC is great. They had my set for a month before they returned it without a fix. I have tried 4 or 5 times since then trying to get my set fixed. They won't do shit but tell me they already tried. I'm not the only one with this XBL problem that went unsolved.[/QUOTE]

Same for me. Had a bad time with an exchange which they dont do... had to return rebuy. I live around the block from them in sf. They wanted me to pay to ship it to them. I had to sneak in behind the ups guy to drop it off @ the front desk.

Fyi, If you have purchased from them before u get a discount @ their return customer store.

Great equipment though. A little heavy but very very comphy earcups for the a40s. Sound is awesome and i can game next to a sleeping toddler and gf without them noticing.

I have used turtle beach x41s, then tritton a720 then a40 wireless finally stopping @ a wired a40 setup. Its the best i have tried for ps3 n 360. I love it but have been thinking of trying the new turtle beaches because of the weight and the wireless. (Currently an optical cable to the mixamp then cord to the headset and another cord to the controller for the full setup.)

I always feel wierd recommending them because i am torn. I feel like they know they have a great product but are very smug with the service.

Ps horrible bbb grade.

[quote name='Evolved']You'll be waiting a very long time. You can only get astro headsets through astro and they rarely offer deals. They offer a 15% code for PAX and I believe another for christmas.

I wonder if you can use the code if you buy from their ebay store. Shipping is only $6 there.[/QUOTE]

Thus why I don't own a set ;). I don't need a headset bad enough to justify a $280 purchase + shipping and tax. My Tritton 720's do just fine.

Basically makes an Astro Mixamp $80...that's still 10 dollars more than a Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS's everyday price on Amazon before shipping (and possibly taxes), and all you're really gaining is the ability to daisy chain them and I think adjust game/chat volumes separately. Doesn't seem worth it.

My recommendation is to get the wireless mixamp and skip the A40's. Get the Sennheiser PC 360 headset. It is amazing in sound and more comfortable.

Nice deal. But still very pricey. For the price of the Mixamp 5.8 w/rechargable battery after the discount, you could buy a set of Logitech F540s.

[quote name='Ionotropic']My recommendation is to get the wireless mixamp and skip the A40's. Get the Sennheiser PC 360 headset. It is amazing in sound and more comfortable.[/QUOTE]

This man knows what he is talking about.

The key to this deal is that the Mixamp Pro is really really... good. Their headsets are fine as well; but there are better products out there.

Here is a thread detailing quite a bit about headphone quality for gaming and listening: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1285726

Search for "PC 360" in that thread, there is a LOT to read there, more than any man would care too.

--

Really the MixAmp is only necessary for really good headphones, the Tritton I heard mentioned earlier (ax720) comes with an amp already; and largely can be used with other headsets as well, something to keep in mind. But the MixAmp is widely considered one of the best.

As far as wired/wireless goes; it's personal preference and I suggest wireless for less clutter, but then you have to recharge things I believe.

--

Edit: I'm not trying to justify the purchase of a MixAmp, each gamer has to make the decision on their own; how much are they willing to spend on audio quality, there is a bar and PC 360 + MixAmp seems to set it towards the top (from my research), unfortunately that bar costs near $300, when as others in this thread have stated, they can easily spend $50-$100 and do JUST FINE.

Cheers.

[quote name='UNDERSTAR']So whats better, getting the Mixamp system wired or wireless?[/QUOTE]

Depends on the person. I had both and i liked the wired the best sound quality.

If you have sensitive hearing you may notice a slight hiss when it is turned on. If you have ever used a turtle beach x41 u have an idea of the sound. Its very low and you can only hear it when it is quiet (load screen and dashboard.) Also the wireless system just eliminated the wire from the system to the mixamp you still have the headset cord from the receiver (but it has a belt clip)

The wired setup has no hiss since its directly connected. You have the optic cord comming from the system (and a usb cable if u want to charge or use ps3 voice chat) which can get cluttered but it sounds crystal clear.

Some people cant hear the hiss and when i contacted astro about it they said it was interference in my area. That was a load of bull since i live around the corner from there office and tried running it with every wireless thing i own off. Just wanted to get the word out because they promiss no hiss cracks or pops n for some people it isnt the case.

bread's done
Back