[DEAD] Because We May Upcoming Indie Game Sale (Direct, iOS, Mac, Android, Steam)

Bosamba

CAGiversary!
"Because We May is the name of a new indie campaign lowering the prices of some big name games later this month.
The aim is to celebrate developers being able to control the prices of their games - lowering them on a whim, like now, if they so please.
The Because We May campaign runs from Thursday, 24th May to Friday, 1st June." -Source

Because We May Home Page - http://www.becausewemay.com/

List of Participating Games:

Direct from publisher (DRM Free)
48 Chambers
And Yet It Moves
Anomaly Warzone Earth
Avadon: The Black Fortress
Braid
Cogs
Darwinia
DEFCON
Dino Run SE
Eets
Eufloria
Frozen Synapse
Frozen Synapse Soundtrack Edition
Holiday Bonus
Lugaru HD
Multiwinia
NyxQuest
Osmos
Scoregasm
Spring Bonus
SWIFT*SWITCH
Swords & Soldiers
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
Uplink
Vessel
World of Goo (win/mac/linux)

iOS (iPhone, iPad) via iTunes Store
Bloktonik
Canabalt
Cogs
EDGE
EDGE Extended
Eliss
Eufloria HD
Great Little War Game
Holiday Bonus
Iceburgers
Kard Combat
Osmos
Pro Zombie Soccer: Apocalypse Edition
Rebuild
SAMURAI II: Vengeance
Scrap Metal
Skullpogo
Smiles (+HD)
Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor (+HD)
Spirits
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP (+Micro)
Swords and Soldiers (+HD)
Toki Tori (+HD)
Trainyard
Waking Mars
World of Goo (+HD)
Zen Bound 2

Mac via App Store
And Yet It Moves
Anomaly Warzone Earth
Bean's Quest
BIT.TRIP BEAT
BIT.TRIP RUNNER
CAVE STORY
Cogs
Darwinia
DeathSpank
DeathSpank: The Baconing
DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue
Dino Run SE
EDGE
Holiday Bonus
Lugaru HD
Osmos
Penny Arcade: Precipice of Darkness Episode One
Penny Arcade: Precipice of Darkness Episode Two
Pro Zombie Soccer
Psychonauts
Puzzlejuice
RUSH
SAMURAI II: Vengeance
Scoregasm
Spirits
Spring Bonus
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
Toki Tori
Uplink
World of Goo
Zen Bound 2

Android games via Google Play Store
Aftermath XHD
Afternoon World Trip
All my enemies
All my enemies Revenge
Anomaly Warzone Earth HD
Anticlon
Apparatus
Apsis
Babylonian Twins Premium
Bag It!
Basics for Toddlers
Bean\'s Quest
Biosweeper
Bit Beast
Blue Planet: Earth
Bugs Race
Canabalt HD
Car Tracks
Cogs
Coins
Crowded Space
Denki Blocks! Deluxe
EDGE
EDGE Extended
Excit
Fieldrunners HD
GBikes
Gear Genius
Gloomy Dungeons 3D
Great Fleet Battles Admiral\'s Edition
Great Little War Game
Ground Effect Pro HD
Grow
Gunman Clive
Hard Lines HD
Holiday Bonus
Holiday Bonus HD
I have never
Invaders!
IronShip
Juggle! HD
Kraut Attack
Kunundrum
Little Stars for Little Wars 2
MapMaster - Geography game
MegaFarkle HD
MegaYatzy
MegaYatzy HD
Mimic Circus
Mixt HD
Mobile Montessori
Navy Wars
Osmos
Pancakes!!!
Patience
Play with Sammy
PolarStorm HD
Princess Nuriko
Pro Zombie Soccer
Rebuild
Riptide GP
Scroll Lock
Sentinel 3: Homeworld
SHADOWGUN
Skullpogo
Smiles
Smiles HD
Smuggle Truck
Snuggle Truck
Spectral Souls
Spectral Souls (JP)
Spell Breath
Spirited Heart
Spirit HD
Star Fighter
Star Sloth
Sudoku Fighters Pro
Swords and Soldiers
The Chicken Bandit
The Lost Smileys
These Robotic Hearts of Mine
TileStorm Eire HD
TileStorm HD
Train Conductor 2: USA
UPSAT: You Probably Suck At This
Urth
Virustroids
Whale Trail
Words for Kids
Words in Bed
World of Goo
X-Plane 9
Zen Bound 2
Zombie Skeet

Games via Steam

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mooby']Somewhat underwhelmed -- probably won't be buying anything.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Especially in light of the fact that the Summer sale is about 5 weeks away. We're almost certain to be seeing better discounts on almost all the games taking part in this promotion.

Still, I like the idea of this sale. The fact the devs are basically just giving the finger to the consoles arcade stores with this promotion is very amusing.

I'll echo what everyone is saying, no point in buying anything for PC at these prices with only a month to the Steam summer sale. Disappointed by this, but maybe I should have expected these wouldn't be deep discounts.

The main reasons to buy these games are a) You want to support the developers directly, as they'll get more money buying direct or b) The games/version of the games you want are not on Steam (particularly Linux/Mac/iOS). Still glad they went ahead with it, I might pick up some stragglers like Dino Run HD.

[quote name='Lint21']Thinking of getting Fieldrunners for Android. The pricing is weird though - on the BWM site, it says normally $3, now $1. When you go to Google Play, though, it says $2.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I noticed that too. Then I read the description and it says
=== #BecauseWeMay Sale, 33% off! ===
So I guess the site has a typo and its actually $2.

[quote name='Blade']So Vertex Dispenser on Steam was normally $9.99, and the sale price is...$15.01.

Awesome sale.

And Super Office Stress went from $3 to $99.99. Any developer that raises their price to something ridiculous to make fun of a bundle will never get my support. Why even participate in the event if you're going to be a prick about it? On his website, he says "Why so high? Because we may!" And he acts like it's awesome on his Twitter feed. Complete douche.[/QUOTE]

at least two other games on ios did that -- glitch tank and zaga-33 both jumped to 6.99... they're next to each other in the list, so my guess is they're the same dev. blah.

IOS quick look -
okay, i just spent a hour or so reading IOS reviews of every game i'd never heard of.

my final verdicts:

Bought -
Great Little War Game -- .99. TBS, been on my wish list for awhile.
forget-me-not - .99

on sale through other means bought:
GTA3 - .99
GTA:CT .99
Flight Control .99

overall, not a bad haul for $5.
there are some other great sale games that i either already have... and then some I'm on the fence about, like Superbrothers and Bryce Manor.

Free:
*** = looks particularly interesting
***Anodia ( breakout)
***New World Colony ( strategy)
***bauhaus break (match 3)
Solar Rescue Denetsu (lander rescue)
Unstoppaball DX (ball balance)
Hemispheres (brain game)
escapology (puzzle)
invader zurp

I picked up Deathspank The Baconing, still debating Rochard $5 is really tempting, decided to skip Vessel I'll wait for it to go on sale for cheaper during the summer sale or maybe I'll get lucky and it will show up in an indie bundle

[quote name='LazyTriangle']I picked up Deathspank The Baconing, still debating Rochard $5 is really tempting, decided to skip Vessel I'll wait for it to go on sale for cheaper during the summer sale or maybe I'll get lucky and it will show up in an indie bundle[/QUOTE]

Rochard is a pretty good platformer. There are lots of nice physics/gravity puzzles and the controls are tight. Jon St. John (Duke) does the voice acting for the lead character. It's a good $5 game for sure.

[quote name='LazyTriangle']I picked up Deathspank The Baconing, still debating Rochard $5 is really tempting, decided to skip Vessel I'll wait for it to go on sale for cheaper during the summer sale or maybe I'll get lucky and it will show up in an indie bundle[/QUOTE]

I'm only about an hour or two into Rochard but I bought it for $5 awhile ago and I definitely think it's worth it for that. It's got some character to it and so far has been fun to play.

While the PC/MAC direct purchase and Steam deals aren't anything to get too excited about, I'm finding the mobile game deals are pretty decent!

I've been installing all of the demos and lite versions of the games available for Android and I've got at least 5 or so that I'm considering purchasing. Too bad I can't nab any of the iOS games since I don't have an iDevice =p. There are definitely more than a few games on the Android side that look fun that I hadn't heard of before this promotion.

One unique and charming game on sale that I can recommend is 'Bag it!'. I wrote up a quick little review on it awhile back on my blog. It just received a hefty little update again recently too!

http://crazyhowie.blogspot.com/2012/04/bag-it-mobile-mention.html

Agree on Bag It! I just bought it yesterday for $.99, and although I've only played for a half hour or so, it's obvious that it has all the stuff of a breakout hit. It feels like I'm playing the next Angry Birds or Cut the Rope, but nobody else knows about it yet.

Great mix of casual (relaxing and brief) gaming with some hardcore game elements (Tetris gameplay, level challenges). You just want to tell all your friends about how much fun you're having.

Riptide GP is excellent! Definitely worth more then $0.99 asking price.

Reminds me a lot of JetMoto for the PS1.

Running excellent on my HTC EVO View 4G.

[quote name='Crazyhowie']While the PC/MAC direct purchase and Steam deals aren't anything to get too excited about, I'm finding the mobile game deals are pretty decent!

I've been installing all of the demos and lite versions of the games available for Android and I've got at least 5 or so that I'm considering purchasing. Too bad I can't nab any of the iOS games since I don't have an iDevice =p. There are definitely more than a few games on the Android side that look fun that I hadn't heard of before this promotion.

One unique and charming game on sale that I can recommend is 'Bag it!'. I wrote up a quick little review on it awhile back on my blog. It just received a hefty little update again recently too!

http://crazyhowie.blogspot.com/2012/04/bag-it-mobile-mention.html[/QUOTE]

Appreciate the recommendation. I checked out Bag It and enjoy it. I also think the game Smiles HD is pretty fun and engaging. It's got a very cute aesthetic and it's a puzzler that really makes you think.

[quote name='Blade']So Vertex Dispenser on Steam was normally $9.99, and the sale price is...$15.01.

Awesome sale.

And Super Office Stress went from $3 to $99.99. Any developer that raises their price to something ridiculous to make fun of a bundle will never get my support. Why even participate in the event if you're going to be a prick about it? On his website, he says "Why so high? Because we may!" And he acts like it's awesome on his Twitter feed. Complete douche.[/QUOTE]

And I may not buy their games.

I'm all for supporting people that are doing good things, but it's a douche move to raise your price "because you may". Way to forget about your customers. Jerks.

Added all 95 Android games to main list.
Here is what I have picked:
The Chicken Bandit
Pro Zombie Soccer

And what I will pick up before the sale is over:
Beans Quest .99
RipTide .99
Whale Trail .99
Aftermath XHD 2.99

[quote name='headpiece747']Added all 95 Android games to main list.
Here is what I have picked:
The Chicken Bandit
Pro Zombie Soccer

And what I will pick up before the sale is over:
Beans Quest .99
RipTide .99
Whale Trail .99
Aftermath XHD 2.99[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to say that Bean's Quest is definitely worth it at $1.99 on the PC - great little platformer!

bread's done
Back