DEAD : Best Buy DOTD 11/1 : Tritton headsets $50/$100/$130

those 180s are pieces of shit. I went through 2 of them and they both broke in the same place. The plastic part above the ear piece doesn't take to flexing very much, but you have to flex it each time you put on/take off the head set. Eventually it cracks and breaks and you have one side dangling by wire. If you read reviews you'll see others who went through the same thing. Initially it's a good head set, but I won't be fooled into buying it 3 times.

[quote name='jbz']those 180s are pieces of shit. I went through 2 of them and they both broke in the same place. The plastic part above the ear piece doesn't take to flexing very much, but you have to flex it each time you put on/take off the head set. Eventually it cracks and breaks and you have one side dangling by wire. If you read reviews you'll see others who went through the same thing. Initially it's a good head set, but I won't be fooled into buying it 3 times.[/QUOTE]i was gonna be selfish and say i have a sealed pair I'd sell for cheaper but i think your review may scare people away :(

I've had a pair of 180's for about two years now and they still work good (big mess of wires to deal with). They aren't perfect but they work better than average.

[quote name='jbz']those 180s are pieces of shit. I went through 2 of them and they both broke in the same place. The plastic part above the ear piece doesn't take to flexing very much, but you have to flex it each time you put on/take off the head set. Eventually it cracks and breaks and you have one side dangling by wire. If you read reviews you'll see others who went through the same thing. Initially it's a good head set, but I won't be fooled into buying it 3 times.[/QUOTE]

I had a pair of AXPRO's a couple years ago and their build shares this problem. Every time I would put them on, they would creak and strain on the ear cup shell where the band connects. One day, after a year of use or so, the ear cup shell popped apart, and several plastic pegs that were holding them together were snapped off. Superglue worked somewhat, but eventually that would give as well with the flexing, so I got tired of it and replaced them.
Couple that with the mess of wires I had to use (2 transformer plugs?) a faulty mic on purchase, and loose-ish connections on the mic to 360 controller cord, and I really cannot recommend these to anyone.

They do (or did) have pretty good customer support, though (I got a couple replacement parts free of charge), and some pretty heavy bass due to dual plug ins.

I went with a pair of Astro A40's + mixamp next, and am much happier with this purchase (despite the knock the wind out of you price, and lack of bass).

I'm actually in the market for a headset. Was thinking of buying on the Gears of War 3 Trittons. Can anyone recommend the AX720s at this price or am I better off spending the extra $80?

[quote name='jbz']those 180s are pieces of shit. I went through 2 of them and they both broke in the same place. The plastic part above the ear piece doesn't take to flexing very much, but you have to flex it each time you put on/take off the head set. Eventually it cracks and breaks and you have one side dangling by wire. If you read reviews you'll see others who went through the same thing. Initially it's a good head set, but I won't be fooled into buying it 3 times.[/QUOTE]

I've only owned the AX180s for about 3 weeks now but I have to say that these reproduce great sound. I played :360:Battlefield 3 with these and loved how clear the sound is. My favorite level was Kaffarov, where you have access to DAO-12 and the M60E4...wow. The sound effects, with the AX180, are excellent. I don't think I'll ever game without them, that is until I get a surround sound.

Personally, I don't have to flex this plastic part you are talking about, maybe it's not big-head friendly. We'll see how long these lasts. It was a huge score for me to find them at Target, thanks truth for the heads up :D These are great.

I did have one bad pair of 180's. The second pair I've had for at least a year now and are still pretty awesome. So they are definitely great when they work.

How are the 720s? I'm in the market for a good surround sound headset that works with everything.

Do any of these headsets work with PC also? Or possibly on an ipod/mp3 player(3.5mm jack or 2.5mmto3.5mm adapter)

Turns out the detonator on that page does, but it's not on sale. same price as amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back