*DEAD* Circuit City mistake - 5 dollar games!! (YMMV)

I went today (San Francisco) during my lunch break and got Jak II and Sly Cooper. Would've picked up a couple more, but selection was weak - mostly ATV's, sports games, and a bunch of Rise to Honor.

Great deal, but just like a lot of people here I've got more games to play than time. I probably won't even get to play the games I picked up until summer.

Thanks to the OP.

I am not even going to bother trying this deal now, my CC prob caught on and I would just waste gas trying. Congrats to everyone who got in on the deal. BTW for the people who got in on the deal, was it just PC, GH, PH games or did they allow any $19.99 game? Because I saw people picking up Castlevania, Ultra Bust A Move for $4.99, and I don't recall those being GH or PH.

[quote name='saigumi'][quote name='shrike4242']
Cool, another St. Louis CAG. :D[/quote]

Not that many of us, that's why most of the deals are good for days after the sale starts.

I saw another guy there as I looked around thinking if there was anything else to buy. He was buying two GH games, most likely to test the water. I tried to give him a thumbs up, but didn't want to look suspicious. His eyes were wide watching it being rang up.

The only competition I've really had was this damn eBaying-FW'er at the Toys R Us sale earlier this year. Damn dude had a frigging shopping cart full and only the bones were left at 9:15 when I strolled in.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm usually one step behind that asshat who did in the CC July sale, the TRU sale, and Lord know what other sales.

[quote name='tenzor']I am not even going to bother trying this deal now, my CC prob caught on and I would just waste gas trying. Congrats to everyone who got in on the deal. BTW for the people who got in on the deal, was it just PC, GH, PH games or did they allow any $19.99 game? Because I saw people picking up Castlevania, Ultra Bust A Move for $4.99, and I don't recall those being GH or PH.[/quote]

Seemed to be any 19.99 games, all of the ESPN 2k5 series were working at 4.99.

By the way I work at a CC and this deal WILL be over after today. Corperate is fixing the glitch tonight. It was fun while it lasted, eh?

Overall this was a very good deal. I got a copy of Kill.Switch for PS2 which I don't think I want though, and Prince oof Persia for PS2, but I wanted it for Xbox, perhaps I can exchange it for the xbox version if someone gets it in stock.

Anyone play kill.switch?

[quote name='FlashStash']Was still going on here in NE Philly as of this evening...

Picked up a total of 28 games, none for eBay. 7 from me, the rest for people as work for their kids as Christmas gifts.

FS[/quote]

Congrats on the haul. It's good to see another CAG from Philadelphia.

Here's my haul... 10 games for $50. Now that's a CAG deal! I hope the guy who rung me up doesn't get reamed.

CC2for5games.jpg

This may be doubleedged sword... the deal of the year obviously was the $5 CC sale earlier this year... and the only other 'deal' (used loosely) to come close to beating it will be... yep... this $5 mistake... :D

If anyone has any extra xbox games they dont want, ill buy them for a reasonable price. Pm me, im looking for pretty much any game.

I didn't have any good selections of games at either of the CC's around me. Dumb noob didn't let me get Bond:EON or NFL Street cause they weren't packaged as greatest hits. So between that and the terrible selection there was I only got Sims:Bustin' Out, The Getaway, SSX Tricky and Super Mario Sunshine. If only they allowed me to get games I wanted like ESPN College Hoops 2K5, Need for Speed Underground, Castlevania: LOI and such...oh well....Is it really going to be over tomorrow? damn I just told a buddy about it well I better let him know it's done....

Now that I know this was a mistake made by someone at corporate, I can't help but feel like I took advantage of a business. I for one am someone who will correct a cashier when I know they've made a mistake. If they give me $15 back when they should've given me $5, I make things right then and there. (I can't exactly do that with the games I now have sitting in my home (two of which I've opened up).

This situation is a little different, though (different than a cashier handing me extra cash). The fact that I have a reciept makes this a legitimate transaction, because it says that their price is $4.99 for each game, and that is what I agreed to pay. The reciept is a statement from their company that they are totally o.k. with the game going out of their store at that price.

If Circuit City falls on hard times in the next few months, it's certainly not my fault for buying games at a loss price. It's the fault of the company for not having procedures put into place to prevent mixups in their nationwide store-computer system when some goofball doesn't spend enough time double-checking his/her work. Shouldn't they have at least two or three people cross-referencing their database pricing? I would think that'd be wise.

There, I'm feeling a little better now. Thanks for letting me vent.

Steve A.

I just got back from the Wichita Fall's CC for the second time today.

My first haul I picked up NBA 2k5, NFL 2k5, Guilty Gear and KOTOR.

Then I just went around 9:30 p.m. and picked up another copy of NBA 2k5 for a friend and Crimson Skies for my wife as a stocking stuffer.

I tried to get the Xbox Music Mixer which was priced at $19.99, but it wasn't included in the $5 deal.

[quote name='cruzincontrol']I didn't have any good selections of games at either of the CC's around me. [/quote]

That's because we cleaned out Orange and North Haven. Sorry! ;)

[quote name='tenzor']I am not even going to bother trying this deal now, my CC prob caught on and I would just waste gas trying. Congrats to everyone who got in on the deal. BTW for the people who got in on the deal, was it just PC, GH, PH games or did they allow any $19.99 game? Because I saw people picking up Castlevania, Ultra Bust A Move for $4.99, and I don't recall those being GH or PH.[/quote]

it was any 19.99 game, but by the time i got there they had caught on. :( it was the same deal with me.

Fatesealer--cute picture. Reminds me of my droopy dog :wink: :wink:

I really do hope Circuit City doesn't suffer too much financially from this mistake.

Steve

[quote name='ave1']Fatesealer--cute picture. Reminds me of my droopy dog :wink: :wink:

I really do hope Circuit City doesn't suffer too much financially from this mistake.

Steve[/quote]

The bright side is that they moved a lot of unmovable mercandise out the door... they just had to lose a few thousand dollars to do it... :?

Well I went to one CC out here and at first the lady saw them come up at 4.99 and she seemed like she was about to give them to me but then she seemed as though she remembered something and said she had to take to customer service since her computer just then brokedown. I came with her and they tried to adjust the price. i calmly said no thank you and left the store. They said that earlier in the day they were allowing it but then they got an e-mail stating to not allow it anymore. They had a really good selection of PC/PH/Gh games. It seemed that hardly anyone came there and especially the ebayer and hoarders. Oh well, I'll just pick up the games that I really wanted at a later date eventually. Maybe tomorrow I'll try another place. Just if anyone cares, I tried Mr Peanut's CC today.

Today around 5:00 PM I was at CC looking. Some time later the nice lady (that was there last year around the holidays when games were $15.00) came around the corner and asked me if I'd found any deals. I asked her if the store was doing the $5 deal, which was really a glitch? She said how'd I know about that!?

I said the internet & cheapassgamer, much like I did last year. :) She said someone had came in earlier and did it. And then I said something like, well, are you still letting people do it. She said yes. When I was ready to checkout she directed me to this new girl (who was a Hottie I might add). Then I got the deal.

I got all, but 1 of the Xbox games I wanted. Even though I don't have an Xbox, I was planning to get one with my GameRush credit sometime soon. They didn't have Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams though. I went in hoping they'd have Wolfenstein, Rallisport Challenge 2, Project Gotham 2 and SH2:RD.

What I got for Xbox -
Wolfenstein
Rallisport Challenge 2
Project Gotham Racing 2
Midtown Madness 3
Agent Under Fire
NBA Street 2

Funny thing is, I was telling this other customer (who was a lady) about how she should price check the games. Later on, when I was checking out, she was right behind me (wouldn't you know it). So when all these games were ringing up at $4.99, I told the ol' tramp :) (you'll see why I call her that in a minute) that there was a glitch were if you buy the $19.99 GH games it rings up at that price. I don't know if she heard me though. I don't really know what she had in her hands, but I recall a sports game, maybe baseball, with the player wearing clothing with some red on it. Don't know if that was a GH's or not.

Anyway, later on around 9:00 PM I went back to pick up a copy of Namco Museum (I think that's the name) and another game. When I got to the check out I asked if the $14.99 Namco game would be reduced to $5 even though it wasn't $19.99. The hottie that'd checked me out earlier said I couldn't do that no more. Why you ask? Because the woman that was behind me at the checkout counter earlier in the day had a hissy fit because hers rang up more than mine did. I'd have paid money to see that! :)

See, that's what you get for trying to be nice and help someone get a decent deal. Now I wish I'd kept my mouth shut and not went out so soon after buying the games. I would've liked to see what the crap went on and what she said. Although if I'd stuck around, they might've made me return my games. But I'm satisfied with what I got. I wasn't planning on getting but like 2 other games maybe (KillSwitch or Tenchu).

plastikpyro offered to give out 3 xbox live 2 month trial code for the first 3 person who PM him. I was one of the lucky 3 and got the code from plastikpyro. Thanks.

plastikpyro, I was going to get Mario Sunshine for $4.99 at CC today but too bad they stop selling it at that price.

This isn't going to hurt CC all that much or make them fall on "hard times". It lasted only 2 days, those who purchased the games were small in #, and CC reacted swiftly enough for it to be stopped before too much harm was done. The games would have been clearanced in a year or so anyways when the new systems start launching, and most of the consumers in the gaming market are more interested in newer titles anyways.

The Fatwallet asshats weren't alarmed soon enough and in great enough numbers to really deal the blow that they can deal, so that was curbed. As a percentage of loss in sales, in real terms.. this is a very small loss. As demand for the Greatest Hits continues to sink as they age (and newer GH hit that price point), they'll end up just taking up valuable shelf space/wherehouse space anyways.

Also, this will have a minimal effect on any future clearances in the near future. The $5 clearance is on games with even lower demand, below that of Greatest Hits.

So now that I've said my opinion on the matter... and hopefully reassured a few people.. open up your games and play em with no worries. With as many games flooding the market in comparison to the amount purchased, you'll be seeing another $5 dollar clearance in the near future (I'd say around March or April).

This thread got about 600 replies today, way too many to read.

In general how did it go today? Did people get the games, or did most stores refuse to sell them at 4.99? I didn't have time to go myself.

From reading the last page, the error was not fixed last night. It's bad enough the mistake was made I can't believe they didn't fix it at the first oppurtunity.

Maybe this was only designed to look like a glitch, when in reality it was planned to last for a short period of time. Why would they intentionally do this? To instill just a hint of guilt in the minds of people who came into their stores and bought all the games for such amazing prices. It's probably their plan to see their share value decrease a little over the next month or two (and make it well known), and then know that people who "stole" the games will be a bit more loyal to shopping at CC (thanks to that subtle guilt feeling that's gnawing in the back of their minds) when they are looking to buy one of those big screen HDTV's. . . In the end CC will have taken command of our minds in such a subtle way, that we won't even realize they've manipulated us.

Yikes!

Steve

If you haven't read the posts don't bother posting yourself. The deal only seemed to convert $20 games to $5. So SSBM didn't count and neither did the $15 games. Heck, as far as I know, those games SHOULD be eligible for the REAL deal and they weren't from what i tested on Sunday.

Edit:
^^^ Hardly. If anything, I'm going to avoid CC for a long while. I don't need them recognizing my face as a CAG.

Tried the CC in Harbinson, SC about 4pm today. Was a no go. The guy was hitting keys like a madman. Got Jak 2 and R&C: Going Commando for $30. I was going to get them anyway. Would have been great at 5 apiece, but I'm happy.

[quote name='Yeahman']This thread got about 600 replies today, way too many to read.

In general how did it go today? Did people get the games, or did most stores refuse to sell them at 4.99? I didn't have time to go myself.

From reading the last page, the error was not fixed last night. It's bad enough the mistake was made I can't believe they didn't fix it at the first oppurtunity.[/quote]

It went great, I got 6 games (awesome ones) for 4.99 each, I went earlier this morning.

I need to get rid of a kill.switch for xbox that i picked up, and trade a prince of persia that i got for ps2 for an xbox copy...

but i did get 8 games today for 40 + tax, good deal!

i tried a different CC today I told the guy working there the situation and he was cool with it. This particular store still has the old "slide the receipt into this pad and sign, please", and it took a few extra keystrokes for the discount to go in. I picked up R&C:GC and Sly Cooper. Going to try the Mills store AGAIN tomorrow during lunch and find a cool cashier...gotta get that Psi-Ops and Midway Arcade Treasures 2!

[quote name='ramprider0']Anyone think it'll work this moring when they open?[/quote]

Possibly, but I'm doubting it. Lots of places later in the day were told not to do it, so, you'll be lucky if you can pull it off tomorrow.

[quote name='thabizzle']i tried a different CC today I told the guy working there the situation and he was cool with it. This particular store still has the old "slide the receipt into this pad and sign, please", and it took a few extra keystrokes for the discount to go in. I picked up R&C:GC and Sly Cooper. Going to try the Mills store AGAIN tomorrow during lunch and find a cool cashier...gotta get that Psi-Ops and Midway Arcade Treasures 2![/quote]

I hate those... my handwriting is the equivalent of 'ass'... I hate those as much as those EB tradein forms you fill out...

[quote name='thabizzle']i tried a different CC today I told the guy working there the situation and he was cool with it. This particular store still has the old "slide the receipt into this pad and sign, please", and it took a few extra keystrokes for the discount to go in. I picked up R&C:GC and Sly Cooper. Going to try the Mills store AGAIN tomorrow during lunch and find a cool cashier...gotta get that Psi-Ops and Midway Arcade Treasures 2![/quote]

Yet another St. Louis CAG. Cool. :D

The Mills had a few copies of Psi-Ops when I left there this evening, so it should be there for you, and a few copies of MAT 2 as well. However, when I went back to pick up the few games I hadn't matched to CAGs who asked me to find items for them, they changed the prices at the register, so you might not have any luck with the Mills store. From my first batch, within 10 minutes, the register was only knocking off $10 off the two games, not the $30.

If the store still had the "slide into the slot and sign" register system, it must be either Ferguson, South County or St. Peters locations.

Neonglow is looking for a copy of Psi-Ops, you may want to talk with him and see if he's still looking for it, if you score an extra one you're willing to send his way. I'm sure he's not the only one.

[quote name='Nephets'][quote name='ramprider0']Anyone think it'll work this moring when they open?[/quote]

Possibly, but I'm doubting it. Lots of places later in the day were told not to do it, so, you'll be lucky if you can pull it off tomorrow.[/quote]

I have to agree with Nephets on this one, I think the official word to change them back to $14.99 went out via email this afternoon, and I'm sure the price changes have been pushed to the registers by now, or over the evening hours.

[quote name='ramprider0']Anyone think it'll work this moring when they open?[/quote]

highly doubt it since corporate sent an email out.

At first today my four games rang up to 30. Two being 10 and the other two being 20. I asked to see what games costed what, the cashier changed them all to 5 dollars. Great Day.

VF4 Evo was the only game I wanted...

and mine CC didnt have it...

:(

so I bought Bone Thugs N Harmony greatest Hits DVD instead!

Cleveland is tha city where we come from so run run
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
East-a nineteen ninety-nine na na na na na

[quote name='JEKKI']VF4 Evo was the only game I wanted...

East-a nineteen ninety-nine na na na na na[/quote]

I liked your old H.O.T. banner better :(

[quote name='plastikpyro']I'm new to this forum and this is an awesome first time CAG deal for me. Big props to the OP. This puts me in a very giving mood. I got 3 two month Xbox live trial passes. First 3 to PM me with a request gets it! **1 per person![/quote]
Just so you know, plastikpyro sent me the third (and final) code he had. I have yet to verify it, but I figure that it was a very nice thing to do (if the code's good, of course).

[quote name='JEKKI']VF4 Evo was the only game I wanted...

Are you from Cleveland? If so, what store did you go to?

[quote name='SadieDee'][quote name='JEKKI']VF4 Evo was the only game I wanted...

Are you from Cleveland? If so, what store did you go to?[/quote]noooo..... I am not from Cleveland. it was a refrence to the DVD I bought...

yeah H.O.T. banner... now MAX banner... I should make a Bone Thugs banner next!!!

:D :D

[quote name='JEKKI'][quote name='SadieDee'][quote name='JEKKI']VF4 Evo was the only game I wanted...

Are you from Cleveland? If so, what store did you go to?[/quote]noooo..... I am not from Cleveland. it was a refrence to the DVD I bought...

yeah H.O.T. banner... now MAX banner... I should make a Bone Thugs banner next!!!

:D :D[/quote]

Yea, I know it was a reference to BT&H, but I wasn't sure of your location. It's just when you pick a set of lyrics with Cleveland mentioned twice, it made me wonder. :wink:

bread's done
Back