*DEAD* Circuit City mistake - 5 dollar games!! (YMMV)

I only wish that the section of GH/PC/PH was more organized and seperated from the regular games, to make for better browsing of the titles...

[quote name='Fatesealer']I only wish that the section of GH/PC/PH was more organized and seperated from the regular games, to make for better browsing of the titles...[/quote]

At my CC there was a seperate section for the GH, PC, and PH titles. :eek:

[quote name='punqsux']i think i can simply put what jsweeney is trying to say.

this IS NOT a sale, it is an error.
cc DOES NOT have to give you the games for $5, since they are not tagged $5.
if you get in on the deal, good for you, youre working the system in your favor
if you dont get in on it, please deal with it and SHUTTHEfuckUP!!! youre not entitled to get something because of an error, so get over it.[/quote]

:applause: That pretty much summed it up there.

I went and they said it was their "current" promotion, but the thing was that u have to purchase at least 2 platinum/greatest/player's choice games for the games to be 4.99 each cause after every 2 if you buy more than 2, they type something in and it gives the promotion for each 2 games you buy. So if you see alot of games that you plan to buy, just get an even amount of games. I just went and picked up 8 games

XB
Star Wars: KOTR
Ultra Bust a Move
Sonic Mega Collection PLUS

GCN
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Monkey Ball
Legend of zelda: Wind Waker

** I got lucky becuse all of the games that rang up 4.99 were in big plastic bins so they were easy to know which ones were 4.99> Also some of the games that are original but ARE currently platinum hits/greatest/player's choice games they are also 4.99. If the cashier doesn't ring up 4.99 then tell them it's a promo and they'll re-enter everything... Thanks OP this was better then the TRU sale!

You know someone's going to trade most of their take in to EB games during their next 4 for 1 promotion... I can smell it... :twisted:

[quote name='punqsux']i think i can simply put what jsweeney is trying to say.

if you dont get in on it, please deal with it and SHUTTHEfuckUP!!! youre not entitled to get something because of an error, so get over it.[/quote]

From the people I spoke with (not just dumb cashiers - store manager and department manager as well), it seems like this "glitch" is actually a surprise sale, not a mistake. The employees were telling customers about it, and having dealt with them before, I know they are not the type to help others exploit glitches in their own system. Knowing that the weekly ads are printed up months in advance, I would not be surprised if this was actually the new CC $5 sale. I myself am a little confused after listening to the discussion here, and I can see how anyone else could be too, whether they see this as a sale or a glitch. JSweeney and punqsux, while I respect your opinions, I think it's a little too early to criticize anyone or tell them to quit their whining. If it turns out to actually be a sale, then those who got screwed by misinformed cashiers have every right to complain. On the other hand, if it really is a glitch, then it will be dealt with by the head honchos of CC and you'll be free to harass the complainers.

[quote name='Nephets']Who all plans to go first thing in the morning like me? :D

Maybe the employees will be too tired to care. ;)[/quote]

Heh heh. Mine opens at 10 a.m., and I'm taking an early and extra long lunch tomorrow!

Ok heres the deal to summerize this thread so you dont have to read it

!. A new person made a claim to a great deal
2. Was flamed for said action based on new status a crazy deal and a kinda cinfusing one at that
3. Regulars confimed deals
$/ Still not believen the flames contiuined
5. More confirmed kills
^. Most who flamed including my self apolgized and commended this noob for the great first posts
7. People brage about what they did get
8. people complain about what they didn't get
9. The trade talk starts.
10. then the arguements about exploting the deal yep you know the deal buy now
11. The argument between the two sides
12 The compaints about the compalaints
13 Then some more apollogies
15 .We start again the next dat.

See now you don't have to read the whole thing!

[quote name='cyberlian']is it even worth trying tomorrow morning? (do you think there is a good chance the deal will still be up?)
about a 1 hour drive[/quote]

if you're there when it opens, yes. even if they've caught on by now i'll bet it doesn't get fixed first thing in the morning. or at least not faster than you can get to the register with what you want.

[quote name='video_gamer324'][quote name='punqsux']i think i can simply put what jsweeney is trying to say.

From the people I spoke with (not just dumb cashiers - store manager and department manager as well), it seems like this "glitch" is actually a surprise sale, not a mistake. The employees were telling customers about it, and having dealt with them before, I know they are not the type to help others exploit glitches in their own system. Knowing that the weekly ads are printed up months in advance, I would not be surprised if this was actually the new CC $5 sale. I myself am a little confused after listening to the discussion here, and I can see how anyone else could be too, whether they see this as a sale or a glitch. JSweeney and punqsux, while I respect your opinions, I think it's a little too early to criticize anyone or tell them to quit their whining. If it turns out to actually be a sale, then those who got screwed by misinformed cashiers have every right to complain. On the other hand, if it really is a glitch, then it will be dealt with by the head honchos of CC and you'll be free to harass the complainers.[/quote]

How come some people got turned down then? Why did some CC employees say it was a glitch?

Yeah, it was crazy for a second. I work at circuit city and am in charge of the games department. I didn't know about this since I normally don't ring customers up. One of my coworkers rang up a couple of games and they came as 4.99 so she told them (she really doesn't give a damn for the store), so they asked can they get more, and she said yes. To make a long story short, she basically told everyone "Hey by the way, if you get two GH, they are 10 bucks". I jumped on the deal once I found out, took 10 games to the entertainment manager and he rang me up. 54 bucks for 10 games not f*ing bad.

My manager on the other hand was pissed, she yelled, DO NOT SELL THOSE GAMES AT THAT PRICE. From then on, we had to adjust the price by hand. By the rules, and legally, the order of precendence is Advertised prices, Computer price, and tagged price. So technically they don't have to give you a price if its advertised at a different price. But, all purchases are final and you keep it, so though my boss was mad at me for exploiting, she can't really do much. I missed out on the 4.99 sale, so im damn happy to take advantage of this glitch.

BUT, by tomorrow this should be fixed, because all price errors can ONLY be fixed at night. The District manager already gave everyone word today at five PST.

look.jpg

Oh and regarding that "package 2 thing" When there is anything two for one, or by two for this price sale, once an item is scanned a window pops up saying: key 1 normal price, 2 two for 30, etc. In this case, 1 is normal price, package 2 is 2 for 30 for any hits games. I tell you one thing, someone is corporate is getting reammed tmw. Our store lost 5000 dollars.

[quote name='JSweeney']You're implying he's a selfish asshole and do you even know him???

Going only on the statement that he made, yes.
I believe it is fair game to believe one to be a selfish asshole if they bitch and moan about how a person who was just doing thier job screwed them over.

I'm not singling you out and I'm saying my opinion that I hate people who always says shit about others when they don't even know them....expecially in a forum.

You are right. I don't know him. He could be a great guy, feed the homeless, volunteer to help coach little league. He could be a stand-up great guy. Based on what he said, that's not the impression he gives.

I understand that its probably the best place since there's no face-to-face interaction, but it seems like every time somebody posts a big deal like this, more and more people are liikely to flame than just not post at all.

I'd tell him this to his face. It is a hugely selfish sounding thing he posted, and it does give him the appearence of being a selfish asshole.
With no other context to color the decision, it's going to be the one that stands.

Even those other sites like Anandtech, bensbargains, and fatwallet are not as harsh as this site lately.

That's because they are longer standing and thier populace has shaked itself out... CAG is still in search of it's soul. Until it finds it, it will be a very turbulant time.

I would follow my advice but seeing that SteveGo is getting double-teamed, then I'm just offering to back him up.

SteveGo brough this on himself, and then continued on with it.
Had he not answered, I'd have dropped the discussion, and noone else would have gotten involved.[/quote]

WOW! your pathetic

[quote name='punqsux']i went to one cc...they scanned at 4.99, but a manager said no...i didnt think it was worth the fight, i spent almost 4 hours in a hospital with a friend today, so i didnt feel up to it.

jsweeney, dont let the n00bs get to you...but im sure you already know that ^^[/quote]

I hope your friend is ok.

Yea....my friend works at CC and he told me that the glitch was fixed tonight. Dont expect on getting any tommarrow. Oh well...I guess its time to not doubt every Noob that strolls in now. I got in on it....I'm glad I wasnt let down.

[quote name='JSweeney']You're implying he's a selfish asshole and do you even know him???

I believe it is fair game to believe one to be a selfish asshole if they bitch and moan about how a person who was just doing thier job screwed them over.

I'm not singling you out and I'm saying my opinion that I hate people who always says shit about others when they don't even know them....expecially in a forum.

You are right. I don't know him. He could be a great guy, feed the homeless, volunteer to help coach little league. He could be a stand-up great guy. Based on what he said, that's not the impression he gives.

I understand that its probably the best place since there's no face-to-face interaction, but it seems like every time somebody posts a big deal like this, more and more people are liikely to flame than just not post at all.

I'd tell him this to his face. It is a hugely selfish sounding thing he posted, and it does give him the appearence of being a selfish asshole.
With no other context to color the decision, it's going to be the one that stands.

Even those other sites like Anandtech, bensbargains, and fatwallet are not as harsh as this site lately.

That's because they are longer standing and thier populace has shaked itself out... CAG is still in search of it's soul. Until it finds it, it will be a very turbulant time.

I would follow my advice but seeing that SteveGo is getting double-teamed, then I'm just offering to back him up.

Had he not answered, I'd have dropped the discussion, and noone else would have gotten involved.[/quote]

the classic Jsweeney post breakdown

well of corse the managers were pissed that effects their sales which effect their bonus. I wouldn't give people for that price either if it came out of my pocket in the end. Thats why managers don't approve you to get in on deals like this. Cause it comes out of their pockets in the end. I can't blame them. I would want my bonus. My wife just became a manager and she gets a big bonus if the meet their plan and goal. If she dosn't make it we don't get a bonus. Money out of my home! So she is the same way now. And I have a lot more respect for managers that actully pay attention to this sort of thing and make sure they don't let stuff go like this. I mean you can't get mad at them you kno0w its not supposed to be like that. They know it as well. Why would you get mad when you can't do something you know to be wrong or an error. Thats what it was an error. Why are you goping to make their lives hell over it. If they say no. Im sorry you missed out. If your cool someone here will probilly hook you up. If not their is ebay! You can allways find the game you were looking for a lot cheepaer after something liek this. No its not what you COULD have gotten it for but it is still cheaper then you would have paid. And maybe you'll think twice about helping out others when you find the deal beacuse you rember who it felt when you didn't get in on a deal!

[quote name='sm0ke']Oh and regarding that "package 2 thing" When there is anything two for one, or by two for this price sale, once an item is scanned a window pops up saying: key 1 normal price, 2 two for 30, etc. In this case, 1 is normal price, package 2 is 2 for 30 for any hits games. I tell you one thing, someone is corporate is getting reammed tmw. Our store lost 5000 dollars.[/quote]

Aww well... I got the 6 that I got and I'm happy... I have no problem paying the regular advertised price for the other two or four that I wanted...

Smoke- We both live in San Francicso y is it when I went to the CC in down town I was turned down they had no idea wat I was talking about, you have any idas grrrr

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']Ok heres the deal to summerize this thread so you dont have to read it

!. A new person made a claim to a great deal
2. Was flamed for said action based on new status a crazy deal and a kinda cinfusing one at that
3. Regulars confimed deals
$/ Still not believen the flames contiuined
5. More confirmed kills
^. Most who flamed including my self apolgized and commended this noob for the great first posts
7. People brage about what they did get
8. people complain about what they didn't get
9. The trade talk starts.
10. then the arguements about exploting the deal yep you know the deal buy now
11. The argument between the two sides
12 The compaints about the compalaints
13 Then some more apollogies
15 .We start again the next dat.

See now you don't have to read the whole thing![/quote]

Very well said :D
That pretty much sums up the entire evening right there.

[quote name='TiKi2'][quote name='JSweeney']You're implying he's a selfish asshole and do you even know him???

WOW! your pathetic[/quote]

Wow! You have a weak grasp of the English language, complete with a lack of proficency with punctuation!

20041103l.jpg

[quote name='AzianAsspicker']Any1 that lives in the Southern cali area see a CC that had alot of super monkey ball 2?[/quote]
I just came back from CC at Rancho Cucamonga, CA and they had plenty of SMB 1 and 2. I didn't know if it was going to work, but it did. No questions or problems with the cashier. I wanted (GC) Viewtiful Joe and (PS2) Kingdom Hearts, but they were all out. So, I ended up getting:

GameCube
F-Zero GX (Non-Player's Choice)
Soul Calibur 2
Mario Golf Toadstool Tour
Super Mario Sunshine

Total: $21.52

:D Thanks whydoihavetoregister for heads up :D.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='TiKi2'][quote name='JSweeney']You're implying he's a selfish asshole and do you even know him???

WOW! your pathetic[/quote]

Wow! You have a weak grasp of the English language, complete with a lack of proficency with punctuation!

20041103l.jpg
[/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Awesome, all the GH were 4.99 at the Gainesville, FL CC. They had a ton too. Picked up Rise to Honor, Socom 2, R&C: Going Commando, Jak 2, Sly Cooper, Kirby Airride, Sonic Adventure 2, THUG, Mechassault, True Crime, NFS:U, and Nightfire. They had pretty much every GH you could think of. I left that store really, really happy.

[quote name='JSweeney']
Wow! You have a weak grasp of the English language, complete with a lack of proficency with punctuation![/quote]

proficiency :wink:

Can someone on the east coast please post if the deal is still active tomorrow morning? I know it most likely won't and I don't want to waste the gas. If it is, I will drive there right when the stores opens.

I can’t believe it but I actually read this entire thread. It’s kind of sad that everybody jumped on the OP. Admittedly I probably would have been skeptical and doubtful about this deal, but I wouldn’t have jumped down his throat.

I was at my CC today, picking up FF 1 and 2: Dawn of Souls for GBA (they had a nice price on it without using a GGC which are becoming scarcer and scarcer at my BB). I hadn’t even known that there was some supposed box 2 or some supposed deal like this. I was out the whole day and only got back about a half hour ago. I would’ve loved to get in on this. There’s a bunch of PH/GH/PC titles that I have been wanting (Mario Golf, Tekken 4, etc.) I was planning on going back there anyway to get in on the deal. Please, oh please let this work tomorrow. I will so be all over it. Thanks OP. Oh let’s all pray this is still going on.

This’ll probably really clear out all out of those PH/GH/PC titles that have been stuck in shelve purgatory for sometime. They were starting to really pile up at my CC.

My theory on why this happened is that A) someone by mistake forgot to put a 1 in front of 4.99 or B) the system is just discounting too much. Maybe, and this is a very low maybe, that this sale happened purposely by somebody higher up to clearance all of those PH/GH/PC titles that have been piling up at CC. Maybe this is the new CC sale that just popped up out of no where.

I really wish now that I would’ve checked CAG today in the morning instead of being lazy. Never happened to me before, and from this point on won’t.

Even though I haven’t gotten in this deal yet but I would like to say that this guy deserves CAG of the Month.

[quote name='Dustin Echoes'][quote name='JSweeney']
Wow! You have a weak grasp of the English language, complete with a lack of proficency with punctuation![/quote]

proficiency :wink:[/quote]

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to pick up on that :)

You know, I have a really sick sense of humor about things like that.
Whenever I make a post like that, I'll purposely throw in a couple of errors... just to see if anyone picks up on them and corrects them.

Amazingly, this board has had about a 75% success rate. Back when I posted on some other boards, they only had a 30% rate of catching those errors :)

[quote name='sm0ke']

BUT, by tomorrow this should be fixed, because all price errors can ONLY be fixed at night. The District manager already gave everyone word today at five PST.

[/quote]

Aww... man, why'd you have tell me that. Albeit this is a glitch, I was going to get some GH titles anyway with their promotion. Still no major deal. you win some and you lose some. Still a good deal for 2 for 30 IMO.

Sucks that I have to work tomorrow (but knowing my situation, it rocks to be working) so no update from me until training class ends late Monday night. I'm taking my chances and see if I can score $20 more of games and leave it be... but I say that if it rings the promo, I'll just buy them straight up... being a regular at that store, it's better to at least be civil than be like 'hay guys, what's going on? where's the glitch?'

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Dustin Echoes'][quote name='JSweeney']

Whenever I make a post like that, I'll purposely throw in a couple of errors... just to see if anyone picks up on them and corrects them.

Amazingly, this board has had about a 75% success rate. Back when I posted on some other boards, they only had a 30% rate of catching those errors :)[/quote]

Where'd you get that hysterical cartoon about posting etiquette? I'd like to see more if possible.

[quote name='basketkase543'][quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Dustin Echoes'][quote name='JSweeney']

Amazingly, this board has had about a 75% success rate. Back when I posted on some other boards, they only had a 30% rate of catching those errors :)[/quote]

Where'd you get that hysterical cartoon about posting etiquette? I'd like to see more if possible.[/quote]

Penny Arcade

[quote name='6669']I just hope this mistake doesn't prevent them from having another "official" $5 sale like the last one.[/quote]

It'd take them a while just to recoup from the losses of this glitch.

[quote name='btw1217'][quote name='Skylander7']
Agreed... I was cautious to believing this, but it's the first time I can remember in which a deal of this magnitude was posted by someone with so few posts. Not to be judgemental, but in 99% of cases like this.. it is a prank.

And thanks to the guy at CC corporate who was pissed at the man, for having his thumb on his back.. and not giving him a raise.. and thus inducing him to add an extra character when he coded this deal into the computer :)[/quote]

I salute you Circuit City System Typo Man! If it weren't for your stupidity or rebellion or outright carelessness, the world would be a dangerous place. Your sacrifice was a worthy one, and I award you the Purple Heart of Cheap Ass Gaming and a posthumous two rank Circuit-City promotion! :notworth:[/quote]

:rofl: I just found this and thought it was funny.

[quote name='heffaji'][quote name='basketkase543'][quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Dustin Echoes'][quote name='JSweeney']

Where'd you get that hysterical cartoon about posting etiquette? I'd like to see more if possible.[/quote]

Penny Arcade[/quote]

There we go! I thought I'd seen it somewhere but couldn't quite put my finger on it. Thanks.

[quote name='btw1217'][quote name='Fatesealer']I only wish that the section of GH/PC/PH was more organized and seperated from the regular games, to make for better browsing of the titles...[/quote]

At my CC there was a seperate section for the GH, PC, and PH titles. :eek:[/quote]

Mine does too, though many of the GH titles are jumbled in the rest of the PS2 section. I think it is due to it being the holiday season though and increase in foot traffic in the store.

[quote name='6669']I just hope this mistake doesn't prevent them from having another "official" $5 sale like the last one.[/quote]

CC is losing $10 per 2, which they could have accepted... with this, they stand to lose $15 PER GAME...

Two titles at regular price- $40
Two for $30- $30
Two for 'glitch' $30- $10

Say they sold ten to one person:
Regular - $200
Promo - $150
Promo LOL - $50

Think of how many people bought those from ALL the CC's that honored the 5 dollar price. They stand to lose thousands of dollars on this promotion if this isn't fixed and surely, someone has seen some numbers and will make haste to stop the bleeding... and the chances of a similar promotion again? Probably still going to happen again, but trust they will triplecheck their systems...

I'm new to this forum and this is an awesome first time CAG deal for me. Big props to the OP. This puts me in a very giving mood. I got 3 two month Xbox live trial passes. First 3 to PM me with a request gets it! **1 per person!

BTW I scored these tonight @ Circuit City Huntington Beach:

Soul Calibur II (GCN)
Mario Golf (GCN)
Metriod Prime (GCN)
Super Monkey Ball (GCN)
Midway Arcade Treasures (GCN)
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (GCN)

Anyone local in 714 wanna trade their Mario Sunshine for Super Monkey Ball or Sonic Adventure Battle 2?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='btw1217'][quote name='Skylander7']
Agreed... I was cautious to believing this, but it's the first time I can remember in which a deal of this magnitude was posted by someone with so few posts. Not to be judgemental, but in 99% of cases like this.. it is a prank.

And thanks to the guy at CC corporate who was pissed at the man, for having his thumb on his back.. and not giving him a raise.. and thus inducing him to add an extra character when he coded this deal into the computer :)[/quote]

I salute you Circuit City System Typo Man! If it weren't for your stupidity or rebellion or outright carelessness, the world would be a dangerous place. Your sacrifice was a worthy one, and I award you the Purple Heart of Cheap Ass Gaming and a posthumous two rank Circuit-City promotion! :notworth:[/quote]

:rofl: I just found this and thought it was funny.[/quote]

Maybe Michael Bolton works for CC, and he forget an extra digit. He always forgets some mundane detail like that :p

[quote name='6669'][quote name='hiccupleftovers'][quote name='btw1217'][quote name='Skylander7']

:rofl: I just found this and thought it was funny.[/quote]

Maybe Michael Bolton works for CC, and he forget an extra digit. He always forgets some mundane detail like that :p[/quote]

If Bolton runs CC, we can start calling the rest of the people who work there BoltHeads.

Well the guy at Game Rush today who traded in a boxfull of Greatest Hits titles and fessed up to getting a bunch of "$5 games or something like that" as his big secret now makes sense. Too bad I didn't have the good sense to run home and check CAG

Please, if anybody checks tomorrow (or later today technically), post and see if the deal's still going on. It's most likely that it'd be fixed tonight, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed, meanwhile. If by some miracle it's still ringing up as five dollars, I'm headed straight there.

bread's done
Back