[Dead]Direct2Drive Valentines day sale, Fallout 3 GOTY $25

I've been wanting to play Fallout 3... but I've been spoiled as a PC gamer. Games are so much cheaper than console games. I would bite if it was less than $15.

Nice deal, I picked it up for $30 from Amazon right after x-mas, this is the first time I can recall seeing it cheaper.

[quote name='vlv723']Wow, I may have to bite on that offer. Anyone played the Void?[/QUOTE]

picked it up durring the steam sale, hard to get into, but a very worthwhile experiance

There's another thread.

Like I said there, I'd avoid getting FO3 from D2D. The add-on called FOSE (Fallout Script Extender) lists D2D versions as being incompatible (because of the protection D2D apply to Fallout3.exe), which means you won't be able to play any mods that use FOSE. I'd wait for a cheap retail or Steam copy, to allow maximum mod compatibility (FOSE lists both of those as being compatible).

It was the same case with Oblivion, where OBSE won't work on D2D versions. I've downloaded several Oblivion mods that require OBSE, and I'd hate to have to miss out because of owning a D2D version.

Was just contemplating ordering either this or Borderlands from Amazon, but this save me like $20.

And if that "FOSE" stuff is true, I don't really care. I have no intentions of playing FO3 mods..

Been wanting to get this for a while. Had the original but didn't want to download DLC from GFWL. A little strapped for cash right now, but at least I know that it'll go on sale again in the future (and hopefully on Steam).

[quote name='Wildcat1080']And if that "FOSE" stuff is true, I don't really care. I have no intentions of playing FO3 mods..[/QUOTE]

Then you may as well not even bother playing it then. Seriously, the mods MAKE that game. And any Bethesda game for that matter. They've got the content, but there are a lot of bugs, stupid mechanics, dumb UI designs, that are pretty distracting. Thankfully, the community picks up where Bethesda left off and fixes/adds all the things that Bethesda didn't/should have.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Then you may as well not even bother playing it then. Seriously, the mods MAKE that game. And any Bethesda game for that matter. They've got the content, but there are a lot of bugs, stupid mechanics, dumb UI designs, that are pretty distracting. Thankfully, the community picks up where Bethesda left off and fixes/adds all the things that Bethesda didn't/should have.[/QUOTE]
People seem to have no problem playing the console versions that have no mods yet get extremely highly regarded and reviewed (Oblivion/Fallout3). I played through Oblivion with no mods just fine.

I want to play the game that Bethesda put out, not a modified game from a third-party modder. *shrug*

agreed Wildcat. To say not to even bother playing a game without mods is kind of silly. Especially a game like this that was reviewed in its vanilla form as well as it was. I played Oblivion on consoles and loved it a lot. Sure some PC mods for it looked awesome, but I had a blast just playing what it offered out of the box. And FO3 GOTY at $25, even better. Although I'm passing on this since I already have a huge backlog of RPG's.

[quote name='Wildcat1080']People seem to have no problem playing the console versions that have no mods yet get extremely highly regarded and reviewed (Oblivion/Fallout3). I played through Oblivion with no mods just fine.

I want to play the game that Bethesda put out, not a modified game from a third-party modder. *shrug*[/QUOTE]

Congratulations on your ignorance. The vanilla games are empty shells compared to what is available through modding.

[quote name='Wildcat1080']People seem to have no problem playing the console versions that have no mods yet get extremely highly regarded and reviewed (Oblivion/Fallout3). I played through Oblivion with no mods just fine.

I want to play the game that Bethesda put out, not a modified game from a third-party modder. *shrug*[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Oblivion and Fallout 3. When they came out I played the Vanilla version for many hours a day for a week straight. But after a while I started to notice things that I wish were different. And user created mods were there to change them.

Most third party mods usually only make a small change to the game. Something simple like different aiming reticules or better textures for weapons. What's so nice about adding mods to Oblivion/Fallout 3 is that you can pick and choose. If you want to mod the shit out the game, you can do that. If you only want to change one or two things, that's fine too. Part of the fun was spending hours looking at all the different mods that were available and trying them out. If I didn't like it or it crashed my game, I'd just delete it and move on to the next one.

Of course there ARE mods that alter every aspect of the game (there are some very well known ones that people like, but I haven't tried any of them yet), but the majority you come across will just be small changes.

But to each their own. I understand completely if people don't want to deal with all that. It can be rather daunting and time-consuming.

EDIT: I just realized that I probably sound like I'm contradicting myself here. The only reason why I said you shouldn't bother playing Oblivion/Fallout3 vanilla is because after playing them with mods I couldn't imagine going back to and un-modded version of it. And I only recommend playing those games with mods because my experience was improved that much. But that's only my recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the retail version of Fallout 3, but I don't have any of the DLC. I see this as a potential opportunity to get all 5 DLCs for half price, but I'm worried about compatibility. When I buy this, do I get GFWL codes to download the DLC through GFWL, or does the DLC only work with the D2D version of the game?

[quote name='bitter1961']There's another thread.

Like I said there, I'd avoid getting FO3 from D2D. The add-on called FOSE (Fallout Script Extender) lists D2D versions as being incompatible (because of the protection D2D apply to Fallout3.exe), which means you won't be able to play any mods that use FOSE. I'd wait for a cheap retail or Steam copy, to allow maximum mod compatibility (FOSE lists both of those as being compatible).

It was the same case with Oblivion, where OBSE won't work on D2D versions. I've downloaded several Oblivion mods that require OBSE, and I'd hate to have to miss out because of owning a D2D version.[/QUOTE]

Sorry bout the double post, did a quick search and didn't find anything.

[quote name='dandylife']I have the retail version of Fallout 3, but I don't have any of the DLC. I see this as a potential opportunity to get all 5 DLCs for half price, but I'm worried about compatibility. When I buy this, do I get GFWL codes to download the DLC through GFWL, or does the DLC only work with the D2D version of the game?[/QUOTE]

when you download all the DLCs are a separate file than the game so it might work. not sure though.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']Congratulations on your ignorance. The vanilla games are empty shells compared to what is available through modding.[/QUOTE]

Oh please, shut the fuck up with that elitist bullshit.

Amen to that Ogami.

Atleast Duke Edward was nice and civil about it.

For anyone in here, I'm sure the GOTY will be the same or cheaper sometime again. Even though the vanilla is still great, it's always nice to have the option to use the mods. If you really need something to play now, get it. But I would wait for it be this price on Steam or something ,because it's bound to happen.

[quote name='Ogami Itto']Oh please, shut the fuck up with that elitist bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Stock Oblivion:

http://media.bestofmicro.com/Oblivion-screenshot,2-U-108966-3.jpg

Oblvion with mods:

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1853/screenshot02t.jpg

Hang your head in shame as you wallow in your low resolution textures, lack of sunshafts and SSAO, crappy looking vegetation, no depth of field, and poor character models.

And that's not even touching on the gameplay, which is changed a LOT more than the visuals. LOL @ you playing your pathetic unmodded game where you pick up hundreds of sets of glass/daedric armor that all the bandits seem to have and fight the same five enemies over and over as they level up with you. I prefer a game with hundreds of new high quality monsters, thousands of new items, and tons of new questlines better than the stock main quest. I suspect you are a dumb noob who couldn't figure out how to correctly install mods.

you're acting like a douchebag

nothing wrong with the original game as intended. It didnt need friggan mods to win GOTY.

high res textures dont make a game any more fun to play. if you think they do then you're a shallow gamer and you belong in the kiddie section arguing with the fanboys about the poly counts of the new flavor of the month.

[quote name='dandylife']I have the retail version of Fallout 3, but I don't have any of the DLC. I see this as a potential opportunity to get all 5 DLCs for half price, but I'm worried about compatibility. When I buy this, do I get GFWL codes to download the DLC through GFWL, or does the DLC only work with the D2D version of the game?[/QUOTE]

This is a great question anyone know the answer?

Eh, I'll pass. Every time I buy something off D2D, it goes on sale on Steam for less or the same. I like having all my games in one place.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']Stock Oblivion, Oblvion with mods[/QUOTE]
You're not doing a good job at not sounding elitist. Can mods make the game better? In certain ways. These guys are saying that the game is still great without mods. Saying that the game is only fun with mods... that doesn't sound like a very good game. Saying that people are less than you because they choose to not use mods makes you an "elitist".

Here's what IGN said about the DLC disc:

"The second disc for Xbox 360 and PC does not appear to have any restrictions placed on it. No code is required to import the add-ons and you don't need to be connected to Xbox Live. I was able to install the add-ons on multiple hard drives without a hitch, and saves carry over for anyone that has started the original Fallout 3 campaign. As far as I can tell, you're free to do what you like with that disc."

On D2D you get the option of downloading the game, the patch, the manual and the DLC. the DLC is a 2GB file that's separate from the game.

This is about as much help as I can be I'm not sure if the DLC from that downloaded file will work with the normal version of the game.

original games > modded games

go back to your mom's basement and get that crap out of these threads. anyone that cares about playing mods already does.

$25 is a damn good deal for all the content you get in FO3 GOTY.

I bought the retail disc goty for oblivion and fallout 3. Is there anyway I can do mods on my games? How do I do it. I have a steam account but did not buy Oblivion and F3 from steam.

bread's done
Back