[DEAD] Fallout 3 GOTY (PC) 50% off on direct2drive $19.99

Fallout 3 Game of the Year (PC) is 50% off on direct2drive only $24.99

Direct Link

Use Coupon Code ThanksRaynor to save an Additional $5 making it only $19.99!!!!!

A note: If you must play fallout 3 with FOSE mods simply download a new exe file. It's a grey area but at least FOSE will work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember to use the promo code: ThanksRaynor to save $5 off of this too.. I just bought it for $19.95. sweet deal.

I posted this earlier today, but nobody seemed to care and/or someone's mention of D2D's version not playing well with mods might have been a deal breaker. Glad people will see it again.

[quote name='rybrad']Do you have to install software to play D2D games or is it just download and install the game?[/QUOTE]

No software needed.

You can just download the game. After purchase just click 'view/download purchase'. You can also install Comrade software if you want too. It's kind of like a 'wanna be' steam, but it isn't required to run the game at all.

[quote name='aaronz77']No software needed.

You can just download the game. After purchase just click 'view/download purchase'. You can also install Comrade software if you want too. It's kind of like a 'wanna be' steam, but it isn't required to run the game at all.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info, I generally avoid buying digital games that aren't on Steam. I will probably give this a go since it is under $20 with no 3rd party crap needed.

[quote name='mokmoof']Is there a comprehensive guide to which mods will and will not work with the D2D version?[/QUOTE]

FOSE doesn't work on D2D version so any mod that uses FOSE is incompatiable, otherwise most mods should work

[quote name='voken']FOSE doesn't work on D2D version so any mod that uses FOSE is incompatiable, otherwise most mods should work[/QUOTE]
Hm. That makes it really hard to pull the trigger on this. Thanks for the info.

It should be known that a lot of the popular, newer and more complex mods that add weapons/locations/quests REQUIRE FOSE (at least when I was browsing for mods that seemed to be a requirement for a lot of the ones I looked at). It's one of those necessary programs like Fallout Mod Manager or ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated!

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']It should be known that a lot of the popular, newer and more complex mods that add weapons/locations/quests REQUIRE FOSE (at least when I was browsing for mods that seemed to be a requirement for a lot of the ones I looked at). It's one of those necessary programs like Fallout Mod Manager or ArchiveInvalidation Invalidated![/QUOTE]
Yeah... Vanilla Fallout 3 for ~$10 is really tempting, but I'm not going to buy a crippled version. It's such a slap in the face to sell your customers something objectively inferior to a pirated copy.

[quote name='rybrad']Thanks for the info, I generally avoid buying digital games that aren't on Steam. I will probably give this a go since it is under $20 with no 3rd party crap needed.[/QUOTE]

You do need their download manager to actually download it, however that can be closed after and doesnt need to be running to play the game. There is also a limit to how many times the key can be used i believe then you have to email for more activations. Something they've enacted within the last few years i think. Old D2D was great, essentially a legit hard copy on your PC that you could install anywhere then just punch in your key and away you go, new one kinda blows with all that online authorization garbage.

Still waiting for steam to have this on sale for 15 or less personally.

I would just like to see the Download content for a reasonble price. On steam, GOY with DC is $49, DC bought by itslef is $49? WTH, just as well buy the whole game over with the DC. make me pay more for the DC when i already bought the game for $49 when it was new without DC? Should be a bone of some kind for us early supporters who bought the game when it was new and without DC! sad...

[quote name='clok1966']I would just like to see the Download content for a reasonble price. On steam, GOY with DC is $49, DC bought by itslef is $49? WTH, just as well buy the whole game over with the DC. make me pay more for the DC when i already bought the game for $49 when it was new without DC? Should be a bone of some kind for us early supporters who bought the game when it was new and without DC! sad...[/QUOTE]

That's why I always wait for GOTY Editions with games like this. Yeah, waiting sucks, but you get a deal and that's what we're about.

I bought FO3 on the day it came out, put in 55 hours, and am nowhere near finished. If they never did DLC, I would've gotten my money's worth. Yeah, I could've waited a year for the GOTY and will probably do that with New Vegas since I'm not done with FO3, but oh well. I was able to pick up all the DLC packs for PC but Mothership Zeta for $16 from NewEgg, so unless Steam offers it for $20 (i.e. $4 per DLC pack), I'm just going to stick with the disc-based stuff I've got. It's plenty of value.

FOSE won't work on the d2d version because the main game exe is encrypted. If you were to use a no-dvd version of the executable FOSE will work and the game will run as normal.

[quote name='SScorpio']FOSE won't work on the d2d version because the main game exe is encrypted. If you were to use a no-dvd version of the executable FOSE will work and the game will run as normal.[/QUOTE]
Where would I get that no-DVD version?

[quote name='mokmoof']Where would I get that no-DVD version?[/QUOTE]

You know better than to ask that here...

[quote name='Vegan']You know better than to ask that here...[/QUOTE]
I was being sarcastic. My point is that, if you're going to go ahead and do what he's implying, then you're essentially getting nothing useful from D2D.

[quote name='mokmoof']I was being sarcastic. My point is that, if you're going to go ahead and do what he's implying, then you're essentially getting nothing useful from D2D.[/QUOTE]

There's a difference (despite the policies of your average forum) between pirating a game outright, and using a hacked .exe for a game you legally bought with a clear conscience. You are getting something useful from D2D: you're getting the game, and you're paying for it.

[quote name='Vegan']There's a difference (despite the policies of your average forum) between pirating a game outright, and using a hacked .exe for a game you legally bought with a clear conscience. You are getting something useful from D2D: you're getting the game, and you're paying for it.[/QUOTE]
True enough. I'm not saying that downloading a better, illegal copy of a game you've purchased legally is unethical. Intentionally selling a version of a game that is less useful than a pirated copy--that's unethical, and therefore, voting for that version of the game with your wallet (i.e., buying Fallout 3 from D2D) is problematic.

Some people don't care about any of that, and my intention was not to hijack this thread with a discussion of DRM and piracy. The point is, the D2D version doesn't work with FOSE, and several people (myself included) will choose not to buy the D2D version as a result, and "Just download a new .exe [from somewhere we're not comfortable talking about on this board]" is not a valid solution. That's all I meant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know how to activate the DLC...as in to make it pop up in the title screen of the game? I've installed it, but it isn't showing up for me...

[quote name='fore1337']I'd buy this if it were on Steam (for under $20).[/QUOTE]

Now that D2D has set a precedent, I expect we'll see something like this during the Steam winter sale. Especially with that being 6 months from now.

Obviously its the publisher and not D2D that is pushing the drm and encrypted .exe in the download version of Fallout 3 (D2D is only a storefront so why bother with the trouble of creating drm and lose potential buyers). It's like blaming Steam for changing prices for certain games during the holiday sale (publisher/developers manage the prices on Steam, Not Valve). If it was up to D2d, they wouldn't have drm in their games they sell. Drm is managed and determined by the publisher and developer.

Although downloading a hack .exe is in the gray area, it nothing different as jailbreaking your iphone in my opinion as you have already bought the product to support the developers.

[quote name='voken']Obviously its the publisher and not D2D that is pushing the drm and encrypted .exe in the download version of Fallout 3 (D2D is only a storefront so why bother with the trouble of creating drm and lose potential buyers). It's like blaming Steam for changing prices for certain games during the holiday sale (publisher/developers manage the prices on Steam, Not Valve). If it was up to D2d, they wouldn't have drm in their games they sell. Drm is managed and determined by the publisher and developer.

Although downloading a hack .exe is in the gray area, it nothing different as jailbreaking your iphone in my opinion as you have already bought the product to support the developers.[/QUOTE]
By that logic, why not just pirate the game and then send Bethesda a personal check? You'd be cutting out the middle man.

Whether or not it's D2D's fault, the fact is that they're selling a crippled copy of the game.

[quote name='mokmoof']
Whether or not it's D2D's fault, the fact is that they're selling a crippled copy of the game.[/QUOTE]

Priced appropriately, at $20.

[quote name='Vegan']Priced appropriately, at $20.[/QUOTE]
Personally I think that $20 is a fair price for an uncrippled copy of a year-and-a-half-old game.

[quote name='mokmoof']By that logic, why not just pirate the game and then send Bethesda a personal check? You'd be cutting out the middle man.

Whether or not it's D2D's fault, the fact is that they're selling a crippled copy of the game.[/QUOTE]

Whine all you want, its $20 and you don't have to buy it if you don't like it. No one here works for D2D and the CAGs members are just offering suggestion. DRM in exist whether or not you like it. But NO ONE HERE WILL SUPPORT YOU IN PIRATING GAMES with your twisted logic. So be a baby if you want, I don't work for D2d or the publisher of Fallout so I frankly don't care if you won't buy a game.

Are we really complaining about a $20 GOTY edition of a RPG that last well over 100+ hours?

Man, THIS is the only place for Cheapassgamer's lol

[quote name='voken']Whine all you want, its $20 and you don't have to buy it if you don't like it. No one here works for D2D and the CAGs members are just offering suggestion. DRM in exist whether or not you like it. But NO ONE HERE WILL SUPPORT YOU IN PIRATING GAMES with your twisted logic. So be a baby if you want, I don't work for D2d or the publisher of Fallout so I frankly don't care if you won't buy a game.[/QUOTE]
I'm honestly not sure why you think I'm advocating or practicing game piracy. So as clearly as possible: I am neither advocating nor practicing game piracy.

I'm also not sure what "twisted logic" you're referring to. Also, I don't have even the slightest interest in exchanging insults with you, or getting into a flame war, or whatever. Pass.

What I am saying is that I will not be playing Fallout 3 until I can get a low price on a 100% legit version that works with FOSE. That is all that I am now or ever was saying. This whole misunderstanding started because I was poking fun at Sscorpio, who seemed to be suggesting that anyone dissatisfied with the D2D version of the game should just "download a no-DVD version of the executable," presumably from some manner of piratical Internet locus.

The point of my response to you was not to advocate piracy, but simply to point out a hole in your logic. You said:

[quote name='voken']Although downloading a hack .exe is in the gray area, it nothing different as jailbreaking your iphone in my opinion as you have already bought the product to support the developers.[/QUOTE]
And I was pointing out that D2D is basically giving you nothing in that scenario--that if you were to download the game illegally, then send some money to the developer, it would be ethically identical to what you're describing, and you'd be getting your usable executable from the same (shady) place.

Which is not the same as saying that that's what I plan on doing. That is not what I plan on doing. Again, I plan on waiting for a legal copy that does what I want and costs less than $20. If that sounds finicky to you, then fine. But it isn't really "whining," and it certainly isn't piracy.

This doesn't set any kind of precedent. Gallout 3 GOTY has been 25$ on Steam before (a few weeks ago) and on D2D before, in February.

The coupon code is not part of the price, just a happy extra. No other place is going to lower their price because of a 5$ coupon.

$19.95 seems like a pretty nifty price for this, been waiting for it to go back on sale since Steam had it up (missed out on it last time). but before I jump on this, I've never bought anything on d2d. I went through the FAQs there but still had a couple questions -- can it be played offline, also can it be installed on 2 machines or is the activation limited to just 1? I travel often and it would suck not being able to also load it onto my laptop and play in an area without wireless.

Can I install mods on the console version of Fallout 3? lol.. Just kidding.. Mods are not a problem for me, every one I've tried with other games has cryptic instructions with buggy results. I'm happy with this purchase! Thanks!

Even though I played the whole game with add-ons on both the 360 and PS3 (yeah, I'm an addict), I couldn't pass this up!

$20 out the door and wow, it looks better on my PC. Don't know anything about mods (just getting back into PC gaming), but even without em, I'm happy with the price.

Does anyone know if this version is a Games For Windows Live version? I was looking forwards to having the achievements count towards my 360 Gamertag

[quote name='Intrik']Does anyone know if this version is a Games For Windows Live version? I was looking forwards to having the achievements count towards my 360 Gamertag[/QUOTE]
Yes, it has Windows Live.

[quote name='gunhed']$19.95 seems like a pretty nifty price for this, been waiting for it to go back on sale since Steam had it up (missed out on it last time). but before I jump on this, I've never bought anything on d2d. I went through the FAQs there but still had a couple questions -- can it be played offline, also can it be installed on 2 machines or is the activation limited to just 1? I travel often and it would suck not being able to also load it onto my laptop and play in an area without wireless.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it can be played offline. The activation is by the Fallout 3 publisher, not D2d so it depends on how the publish handles the activation but I believes its a one-time online activation. You can't install the game on 2 machines using the same key unless you uninstall the game on the 1st machine (which is standard on most if not all retail PC games). It's the same as if you bought the game at retail except you're downloading it from D2d servers. The game will be on your account and you can download it as many times as you want, if there is ever a problem with activation, you can contact D2d support and they will give you a new key according to their FAQ.

I have a couple of game from d2d and so far haven't had any problems.

When you download this game, you are basically downloading a copy of what is on the DVD. You then launch the installer in the folder and install it.

The first time and only the first time you launch the game, it'll have you enter your activation key you get from the direct2drive website. This unlocks the game and you are able to play it anytime without a dvd or being connected to the internet once activated.

[quote name='Intrik']Does anyone know if this version is a Games For Windows Live version? I was looking forwards to having the achievements count towards my 360 Gamertag[/QUOTE]

I believe it is

Couldn't pass this deal up. There goes my weekend.

Thanks!!!

cat_happy_clapping_hg_clr.gif

[quote name='AngloSxn']Couldn't pass this deal up. There goes my weekend.

Thanks!!!

[/QUOTE]

Weekend? You mean the rest of 2010.

I bit the bullet and bought it....

From what some people are telling me FOSE works with the D2D version now....

Ill try it when Im done downloading and tell you guys if its true.,,,,,

bread's done
Back