[DEAD] Final Fantasy XIII-2 Collectors Edition $59.99!

[quote name='TheLongshot']That's a little surprising. I wonder if they raise the price for people who use it a lot. Then again, I'm still at the $50 level...[/QUOTE]

It may have something to do with how frequently you choose to receive survey offers. I remember setting it to 7-10 a week. Maybe they figure you'll earn rewards too quickly if you qualify for all of the surveys... though I don't know why that would matter since the payout probably comes from the surveyors.

Is there a way to have Amazon notify you of a price point like NewEgg does? Want this for $60 but I would like to use my $20 credit from Syndicate.

[quote name='shivan128']It may have something to do with how frequently you choose to receive survey offers. I remember setting it to 7-10 a week. Maybe they figure you'll earn rewards too quickly if you qualify for all of the surveys... though I don't know why that would matter since the payout probably comes from the surveyors.[/QUOTE]

Considering they only let you redeem rewards quarterly, that is a little strange. I'm set at 4-6 surveys a week, since I work for a living.

[quote name='jessesixto']BTW I really hated the first one with all my passion.[/QUOTE]
If that's true then you'll hate this too.

Compared to XIII:

- Gameplay is largely the same
- Challenge level is much easier
- Upgrade system is for monster companions instead of weapons
- Tons of sidequests (find this hidden item for me, kill this monster for me, etc.)
- Story makes no sense at all
- Characters are not as interesting

[quote name='jessesixto']Is this really worth it? Compare to the first one?
BTW I really hated the first one with all my passion.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed XIII, and like this one more. Not sure if you'll like it.

[quote name='jessesixto']Is this really worth it? Compare to the first one?
BTW I really hated the first one with all my passion.[/QUOTE]

The most important question to ask yourself before getting FF XIII-2 is... how do you feel about the word "paradox" ? I was ready to choke someone!

I enjoyed the first one a lot, and have really enjoyed XIII-2 so far! I do wish that I could play lightning again, but the characters and monster leveling is fun :)

If you hated the first one, it's a lot of the same. The combat system is tweaked slightly but largely the same. There are a LOT more sidequests, mini games, etc.

[quote name='Katsumi87']The most important question to ask yourself before getting FF XIII-2 is... how do you feel about the word "paradox" ? I was ready to choke someone![/QUOTE]
:lol:

Almost as bad as "Focus" from the first one.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']If that's true then you'll hate this too.

Compared to XIII:

- Tons of sidequests (find this hidden item for me, kill this monster for me, etc.)
- Characters are not as interesting[/QUOTE]

My god. I thought the first XIII was a travesty; this one looks like an outright abortion.

I think I'll wait til this one is $30 just because I have LE OCD. And I will never, ever open it.

[quote name='portnoyd']My god. I thought the first XIII was a travesty; this one looks like an outright abortion.

I think I'll wait til this one is $30 just because I have LE OCD. And I will never, ever open it.[/QUOTE]

It's really in the same vein as X-2 was, only this time with a bit of paradox and Chrono Trigger mixed in.

Compared to XIII:

Ouch... that's pretty harsh. I was going to get it but... I guess I'll wait a bit longer.

[quote name='Byakurai']It's really in the same vein as X-2 was, only this time with a bit of paradox and Chrono Trigger mixed in.[/QUOTE]
So it's basically shameless fan service with time travel?

I got Bestbuy to price match today. The lady ended up matching the normal FFXIII-2 price of $50 on my Collectors Edition, so I ended up getting $30 back instead of $20! Sucks their in-store Vita selection is pretty barren.

Compared to XIII:

I thought Serah and Noel were quite interesting. Noel is, at least, a far stronger character than any of the males from XIII and I felt they did a good job of developing Serah from a background character constantly dependent on others into a more assertive and confident lead role. They even made Hope interesting which I would have previously thought impossible.

With the two of them being the only real playable characters there is a lack of diversity, though. I would have loved to have seen Lightning, Fang, Vanille, and the new Hope playable and more central to the story.

I am not sure what people mean that the story made no sense. It sort of made perfect sense if you don;t take it too seriously and go with the flow.

just called my local gamestop... they have two CE for ps3 in stock told them to hold it for me... wish amazon lowered their price and I could save $$$ on tax :(

awesome managed to pm bestbuy, it turns out they do have some copies left although last time i tried to pick one up i remember them telling they sold out on day one, i wonder if people are returning their copies or something

[quote name='astr0boy']For those that are wondering whether they should pick up the PS3 version or the XBOX version, here is a detailed analysis and comparison of them both: http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head-final-fantasy-xiii-2-analysis/

The bottom line is that the XBOX version runs at a slightly lower frame rate. (+\- 3-5 frames) On the other hand the PS3 version has considerably longer load times. ~10-12 seconds longer than Xbox.

IMHO, I probably wouldnt notice a frame rate drop of 3-5 frames. I would, however, notice an extra 10 seconds in my load times. Especially if I'm dying/retrying.[/QUOTE]

I just finished the PS3 version and never thought load times were an issue. Sure, I wasn't comparing it side-by-side with the 360 version but they weren't an issue compared to some games. You only have loading screens for the most part when entering a new era (and sometimes during cut scene transitions). I didn't notice the "retry" taking all that much time to reload. And besides, you won't be doing that all too often anyway.

[quote name='portnoyd']My god. I thought the first XIII was a travesty; this one looks like an outright abortion.

I think I'll wait til this one is $30 just because I have LE OCD. And I will never, ever open it.[/QUOTE]

Of course that is just someone's opinion. I thought the first one was great - especially once it opened up "post-game" and you could find all the hidden monsters and do the challenging stuff. In a lot of ways. XIII-2 is better. The BIG difference between this game and the last one that I didn't see mentioned in those lists was that it is way more open. The first 1/3 - 2/3 is not one long hallway followed by another like in FF XIII. With the time travel setup you can jump around at will and it opens up pretty well early on. And you have lots of places you can go by choosing to open one gate or another. So that kind of adds some excitement as you never know where any particular gate will lead you. I quite enjoyed the whole time travel aspect. You can also jump out of an era at any time (to go back to the timeline and choose another one) and there are no set save points (you can do so any time) which is a big plus. When you return to the era you left it puts you in the exact spot you left it at which is a nice touch (instead of resetting you to a fixed spawn point).

It is a well-polished (and well-coded) game that also never once, in about 70 hours of play, froze up on me. I hear games like Skyrim aren't quite like that ;). (And yeah, I really want to play Skyrim but the reports of backwards flying dragons and creeping corrupt game saves have scared me off).

I also bit the bullet on this, I wasn't going to since with shipping it would've cost almost $68 however the $5.55 coupon made up for that :)

......now I just hope it doesn't drop again in price after I open it! :whistle2:$

[quote name='io']I hear games like Skyrim aren't quite like that ;). (And yeah, I really want to play Skyrim but the reports of backwards flying dragons and creeping corrupt game saves have scared me off).[/QUOTE]
Well from what I've played I haven't spotted the mystical dragons that have mastered backwards flight but then again I only spent 24 hours total so I'm still just getting my feet wet but even with the rare glitches i'd recommend it (the pc version at least) especially if you're ready to throw your life away :)

[quote name='io']Interesting - so they patched in placeholders for the DLC...

Hey, when I was finishing it up tonight I got the 1.04 update. What did that do? I didn't see any more spots there. I'll be pissed if they made the slot machines any easier - that BS took me a few hours ;).[/QUOTE]

• Support for upcoming DLCs.
  • New items in Chocolina's Shop: Genji Helm, Delicate Genji Helm, Delicate Genji Glove, Delicate Genji Shield, adornments
[quote name='astr0boy']For those that are wondering whether they should pick up the PS3 version or the XBOX version, here is a detailed analysis and comparison of them both: http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head-final-fantasy-xiii-2-analysis/

The bottom line is that the XBOX version runs at a slightly lower frame rate. (+\- 3-5 frames) On the other hand the PS3 version has considerably longer load times. ~10-12 seconds longer than Xbox.

IMHO, I probably wouldnt notice a frame rate drop of 3-5 frames. I would, however, notice an extra 10 seconds in my load times. Especially if I'm dying/retrying.[/QUOTE]
In my experience, I never experienced loading times of more than 20 seconds, and you only see loading times if you enter a new time via the historia crux which is not often. I have a 7200rpm scorpio black drive in my PS3 though. Comparison video shown below shows the PS3 loads faster anyways.
[quote name='greyzieoriental']The collectors edition wouldn't happen to include the Omega DLC would it?[/QUOTE]
No omega dlc. Collectors edition contains a 20-page concept art book, 4-disc original soundtrack, and game disc, all contained in a premium hardcover digipak case with illustrations by Yoshitaka Amano.

Pros

• The maps are no longer a straight line. You will realize how much non-linear the gameplay is compared to the original if you ever plan to get all 160 fragments. You will actually need a guide book if you want the Platinum trophy.
  • Nice minor tweaks to what is already a good Battle System.
  • The game/story moves at a good pace, unlike the original where it was sort of a slow tutorial during the 1st half.
  • Good voice actors
  • The game is much more re-playable than the original 13.
  • The historia crux which is like a mission select screen allowing you to replay any time period and come back to it later is nice.
  • Monster taming, and monster material farming is addicting/time sink.
  • No more repeatedly killing giant turtles for gil or rare drops. Love them fragment skills.
  • Game runs smoothly, no glitches, or heavy patching.
Cons

• I preferred the higher fidelity CG used in the original instead of the game engine CG used in this game.
  • 6 Episodes(Chapters) instead of 13 Episodes in the original but majority of the original xiii's chapters are empty fillers anyways.
  • Locations visited in xiii-2 didn't wow me as much as xiii.
  • I hated the backtracking, your basically playing the same map 2-3 times in a different time period which has minor map,monster spawn, or weather changes. In reality your only visiting about 10 unique locations throughout the game. With a few re-used locations from xiii at that.
  • 2 main playable characters vs 6 main playable characters in xiii.
  • I did not like the random respawn, especially when you first get to academia where the ghouls spawn non-stop.
  • I invested 40+ hours for a BS ending, at least the original rewarded my 60 hours of gameplay with a happy ending.
I bought it for $60 along with a $20 gift card, and I definitely got my moneys worth for 40+ hours of gameplay and the fact its a nice change of pace from playing so much FPS. Overall I think xiii-2 did improve upon the original xiii, and people that avoided the original should give it a try when it hits around $35. Nobody should be paying $60 for this game unless you want the collectors edition, SE's choice of making the ending "to be continued" is insane for a JRPG where you invest so much time in cause of the story.

[quote name='MillionBlades']is the best buy pre-order Final Fantasy XIII -Episode i- novella hard cover book worth the trouble....[/QUOTE]

No it's not to be honest.

I googled searched and downloaded the scans of it and pretty much it's a tiny hardcover book with 37 pages of text only (no colored pictures/artwork).

You can find it all up online.

Now if it was an artbook then I'd prolly have to grab it...I'm a sucker for those.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']The collectors edition wouldn't happen to include the Omega DLC would it?[/QUOTE]

The Omega DLC came with Amazon pre-order

really Square, really. that's it, i'm done, every time i buy a CE on or around launch, i get screwed, and they end up everywhere dirt cheap. ff12, dragon quest 8, ff13-2 is on its way. screw you square, you are working your way to becoming ubisoft.

[quote name='ctrek3']really Square, really. that's it, i'm done, every time i buy a CE on or around launch, i get screwed, and they end up everywhere dirt cheap. ff12, dragon quest 8, ff13-2 is on its way. screw you square, you are working your way to becoming ubisoft.[/QUOTE]

-Dragon Quest 8 never had a collectors edition.

-If Amazon prices are anything to go by, that FF XII collectors edition fetches a pretty penny.

-Popular franchises tend to have over-produced CE's in order to allay demand; Just look at Halo.

Why do people expect Collector's Editions to be rare? It is meant for a collector, people who like to...collect things. Now a Limited Edition is a different story since it says Limited. But expecting Legendary, Epic, etc etc to be rare is a risk. Some end up being rare some don't.

[quote name='keine']...

-Dragon Quest 8 never had a collectors edition.

-If Amazon prices are anything to go by, that FF XII collectors edition fetches a pretty penny.

-Popular franchises tend to have over-produced CE's in order to allay demand; Just look at Halo.[/QUOTE]

it came in that cardboard box, and i bought it because of how rare 7 ended up being, only to find it about a month later for much less. i was pissed

[quote name='ctrek3']it came in that cardboard box, and i bought it because of how rare 7 ended up being, only to find it about a month later for much less. i was pissed[/QUOTE] Um I own that version and just looked at it. No where does it state it is Limited or Collectors. Plus doing some online searches showed the same info. DQ8 was only sold in a cardboard box with the FF12 demo.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Um I own that version and just looked at it. No where does it state it is Limited or Collectors. Plus doing some online searches showed the same info. DQ8 was only sold in a cardboard box with the FF12 demo.[/QUOTE]

i know it wasn't. that's why i said it came in a cardboard box. sorry for the confusion, after the earlier post i realized it was not a collectors edition. but still huge drop shortly after launch, very annoying.

[quote name='DigitalMP']Thats why I preordered mine as well. Needless to say I walk into Best Buy 2 days ago and there sits like 5 copies of the CE WITH the books attached to them all inside those plastic cases they use....sigh =/[/QUOTE]

It's 3 weeks... PM it at BBY if a local GS has it. If not then try and hope they don't call all the local stores

I was able to PM at BB for an Xbox CE. The stock checker online said "ship to store" but I asked the game guy at BB and he said he had one. Also had the book, finally used the BB 10$ EGift from BlackFriday... lol.

Thanks for posting OP.

I didn't think they would drop the price down so quickly. Wasn't FFXIII-2 a good seller, or just not huge enough to make the budget?

Either way, I can't see why I should keep holding on to the sealed copy that I have. The more I read into the game from other people's comments, the less I'm eager into playing it.

I went after work to see if it would ring up to the online price. At first they weren't sure if they were supposed to sell them. But then the guy behind the counter shrugged and was like "technically, I can sell it, so whatever." It rang out to $59.99 so I got it.

CEs are overproduced this generation. Now true limited editions are actually scarce to the point that pre-orders don't get fulfilled (i.e. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence LE).

MGS HD Collection LE seems to actually be rare.

[quote name='ctrek3']it came in that cardboard box, and i bought it because of how rare 7 ended up being, only to find it about a month later for much less. i was pissed[/QUOTE]

Maybe it is not a good idea to try turn video games into an investment option and then buy games only to hope it will become more valuable.

I don't see how anyone can be upset with the game company when their game magically doesn't become rare or valuable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now no one really knows what these game values will be in 20-30 years. Imo, you should collect for yourself, if you want it get it. Dont bet on any value later and youll be better overall.

Edit: Boooo enix, opened my xbox ce tonight and there some scratches on the disc.... Lames, hope it plays alright

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back