[DEAD] GOG GamesCom Deal - The Witcher 2 & More - 40% Off

cheapo72

CAGiversary!
Feedback
180 (100%)

To celebrate GOG.com's trip to the GamesCom expo in Cologne, they're offering sister company's acclaimed CDPR's The Witcher 2 as well a smattering of classic titles at a 40% discount through Monday, August 22 at 3:59 a.m. EDT.

[Promo Page]

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings $29.99
Battle Isle: Platinum $5.99 [includes Battle Isle 1 with Data Disk 1 and Moon of Chromos expansions, Battle Isle 2 with Titan's Legacy expansion, Battle Isle 3, Incubation with Wilderness Missions expansion, and the non-Battle Isle title, Historyline 1914-1918]
Jagged Alliance $3.59
Jagged Alliance 2 $5.99
Master of Orion 1+2 $3.59
Realms of Arkania 1+2 $3.59
Realms of Arkania 3 $3.59

Mobygames:
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (89)
Battle Isle
(3.4/5)
Battle Isle: Data Disk 1
(3.5/5)
Battle Isle '93: Moon of Chromos
(3.5/5)
Battle Isle 2200
(83)
Battle Isle 2200: Titan's Legacy
(4.1/5)
Battle Isle 2220: Shadow of the Emperor
(81)
Incubation: Time is Running Out
(85)
Incubation: The Wilderness Missions
(80)
Historyline 1914-1918
(3.8/5) [AKA "Great War: 1914-1918"]
Jagged Alliance (88)
Jagged Alliance 2 (88)
Master of Orion (3.9/5)
Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares (84)
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny (73)
Realms of Arkania II: Star Trail (84)
Realms of Arkania III: Shadows Over Riva (78)

Demos/Videos:
Jagged Alliance Jagged Alliance 2 & Demo Patch [unique map!]
Master of Orion Master of Orion 2: Battle at Antares Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny Realms of Arkania II: Star Trail Realms of Arkania III: Shadows Over Riva

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks OP. I have been waiting for Witcher 2 to drop just a little. Everyone raves about this game and the first one was awesome so I will be picking it up. Those older games are tempting too.

I've yet to play The Witcher, or the sequel, but I think now is the time. Thanks for the nice find.

Can anyone comment on Realms of Arkania? Thinking of picking them up. I've read the reviews and they seem decent but I'd appreciate any CAG comments if anyone has played them, especially the 3rd one--it sure seems like a predecessor to Baldur's Gate 2 from reading the description, and BG2 is my favorite CRPG of all time.

[quote name='lito88']Wish the witcher 2 worked on steam[/QUOTE]

It's DRM free, which is rare these days for a new title. Just add it as a non-Steam game to your library. The GOG version with all of the extras is the best version of this game.

[quote name='bdb2m']it's drm free, which is rare these days for a new title. Just add it as a non-steam game to your library. The gog version with all of the extras is the best digital version of this game.[/quote]

Fixed your post.

$30 is a good price for The Witcher 2. Other digital download services have had a similar price, so I was expecting it to be cheaper at $20-25. I guess I'll wait some more. :)

[quote name='gcorlett']Fixed your post.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure that paying upwards of 4 times the price for a ceramic bust of Geralt, really makes the Collector's edition the best version, especially considering the website you are on is called "Cheap Ass Gamer." I stand by my original opinion. GOG has the best version digital or otherwise.

[quote name='bdb2m']I'm not sure that paying upwards of 4 times the price for a ceramic bust of Geralt, really makes the Collector's edition the best version, especially considering the website you are on is called "Cheap Ass Gamer." I stand by my original opinion. GOG has the best version digital or otherwise.[/QUOTE]

I'm not talking about the collector edition. The regular edition (which they are calling the "premium" edition, lol) contains the same stuff that the GOG edition has... except you can get your hands on it. A printed map, a printed manual, a printed game guide, a soundtrack CD, etc. And the papercrafts. And the goofy little coin that you can't get from GOG.

This:
witcher2_contents_premium.jpg

It's $40 at Amazon.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of GOG. But Projekt Red put some great physical stuff into the box!

GOG does seem to have some wallpapers and avatars, too. I guess that's nice. But it's hard to beat a printed map and manual.

I guess it's up to each buyer if the hands-on items are worth the DRM. Just wanted to clarify that you don't need to buy the collectors' edition to get good physical stuff.

[quote name='gcorlett']I guess it's up to each buyer if the hands-on items are worth the DRM.[/QUOTE]

What sort of DRM does the retail version use?

thanks for the heads up. First digital download I've purchased. Wasn't sure what to expect but there was enough positive comments posted here. Plus the price is right for a good game.

[quote name='11440']What sort of DRM does the retail version use?[/QUOTE]

It has a 5 install limit unless you patch the game. By patching to at least version 1.1 the DRM is removed. So really you just have to decide if you want a box or not.

The GOG version also has the digital version (PDF) of the artbook. The Collector's Edition has the physical copy of the artbook.

I am very disappointed that people aren't talking about that Battle Isle Platinum pack in this thread! Don't you know that Incubation is in there?! INCUBATION!!!

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know about Incubation's widescreen support?

[quote name='Pheace']Had to pick up RoA 3 :)[/QUOTE]

Yep, me too. Actually I picked up all three, but I've started with RoA 3 since it was the latest and greatest and I figured the most polished. I've only put a few hours into it, rolling with the premade party to get used to the game, but it's really surprised me--this isn't a precursor to BG like I was thinking, it's a precursor to Morrowind!! Seriously, every game system that's in Morrowind is in here. It took a bit of getting used to the graphics (almost goes without saying), but the game is very complex and involving. Characters speak and do things on their own, and I've run into a few scripted quests that have been great. Off to play some more! PS. Game world is huge, and every building in Riva seems like it has something different inside. Definitely impressed.

50% off Cyan games this weekend! I think I'm going to buy RealMyst and Riven (even though I already have Riven).

Riven's one of literally two point and click style games that I've liked so far, the other being MCF The Malgrave Incident on Wii this year.

To be fair, I haven't played RealMyst yet, just Myst Anniversary Collection, but between that and Riven, I liked Riven MUCH more. Much better graphics and sound (even though it was released 2 years earlier) and just way better puzzles IMO. The whole thing was super immersive to me-I remember playing it in the dark, and it just kind of felt like another world, where Myst just felt confusing and clunky to me. I liked the story in Riven too as I recall.

I remember Riven was the largest gap ever between a review in Next Generation the magazine and Next Generation online. One gave it 1 star, the other gave it 5 stars, and they got into it publicly over that :D

I don't know for sure if I still have the patience or what I'd think, but at least at the time I'd probably have gone with 5 stars.

bread's done
Back