DEAD Last of Us Survival Edition in stock at Best Buy

I called because of the cancellation  and the guy said it was my payment info, so I bought something else and it went through fine. They are idiots.

Guys, from what I'm hearing on the BBY forums, these current cancellations are because these "new" copies of the Survival Edition were meant to be given to those whose preorders from weeks to months ago were abruptly cancelled over the weekend, and they weren't intended to be resold to other people.

Well I posted in the BB forum as well that I could of avoided wasting 1 hour on the phone with my credit card company and BestBuy.com phone support trying to figure out why my info was wrong if my cancellation email was more clear. My own fault for thinking BestBuy.com showing it was in stock online, actually meant it was in stock online.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never thought that a company like best buy could mess up pre-orders this bad for the most anticipated game of the year... This is truly uncontrollably bad...Unless Sony didn't make enough copies of this survival edition I blame 100% of this on best buy. I pre-ordered my survival edition within the first 15 minutes of best buy having it up for pre-order back in February. and because of the gamers unlocked I canceled my amazon pre-order... now if they do have copies of this survival edition to ship and I don't get one... heads are going to roll!!

I preordered my PS4 for in-store pickup at my local best buy during the E3 conference last night. I am keeping my Amazon pre-order till the final seconds because I just can't trust Best Buy anymore......

Guys, from what I'm hearing on the BBY forums, these current cancellations are because these "new" copies of the Survival Edition were meant to be given to those whose preorders from weeks to months ago were abruptly cancelled over the weekend, and they weren't intended to be resold to other people.
I thought you already knew...

The Survival Edition is sold out EVERYWHERE - expecting to pick it up from BBY all of a sudden after it's been pre-sold out for a month (or more, I pre-ordered in March) prior to street date sounds like the wildest pipe dream imaginable - it's not like they found a box of them in the warehouse just lying around.  Since we're all reading this forum, I have to think some of you took a chance anyway with the strong suspicion you were taking someone's pre-order that was canceled over the weekend.  C'mon.  Certainly you can try, but getting upset that BBY is choosing to honor pre-orders from months ago vs. your pre-order from today doesn't make much sense. 

I was able to get a Target to break street date for the vanilla version. They rang up the game as Bioshock Infinite and sent me on my way.

Extremely YMMV

I thought you already knew...
I knew about why these copies were surfacing out of nowhere on BBY.com, but I didn't know that the sudden cancellations were done to ensure the original preorders could be fulfilled.

Anyway, I'm not angry anymore since BBY was able to handle the situation, at least in my case. I can only hope that they'll do the same for everyone else whose Survival Edition preorder from before the construction of this thread was suddenly cancelled.

To put it bluntly, I'm getting the Survival Edition for free.

I was able to get a Target to break street date for the vanilla version. They rang up the game as Bioshock Infinite and sent me on my way.

Extremely YMMV
That's beyond YMMV. That's most likely illegal, as it's giving sales to a different company. About as YMMV as "I got Last of Us for free, stole it off of a stocking cart and ran out. Awesome deal!"

I have my own personal bad news/good news story to share. So I did not read any of this forum other than the first post and link. I placed an order and got confirmation and since this edition qualified for the $20 RWZ certs in addition to points toward my BB RWZ, I felt it was the better deal. Unknowingly,  I cancelled my Amazon order that I had locked for half a year. I then checked my email later in the day and I got that auto-generated cancellation from BB.

Needless to say, I am currently without a copy of this edition and I am obviously pissed off. So I called the Premier Silver Member and was irate and they verified that they cannot find the item via SKU in their system to place this order for me. So they offered me a $50 gift card as compensation to appease me as they felt bad. I gladly accepted that, but then they wanted to ship this card to me and I did not want to wait for that. She then said that she can give me a digital e-gift card for online purchases instead. So they transferred me to the back office and another lady heard what happened and went out of her way and upped it to $60 for my inconvenience. In addition, she plans to escalate my case to see if I can get a copy left over from the pre-orders not picked up AND she assured me that I would still qualify for the $20 in RWZ certs.

So I will basically get this game for $20 + tax out of pocket which  will virtually be free between the $60 e-gift card and the $20 in RWZ certs in the end. I recommend trying this if I were you guys that lost out on this order. Even a $25 gift card for your inconvenience is better than nothing and I you need to do is provide your BB online order number and mention how upset you are and they should try to compensate your for your inconvenience. I know I may have set a high precedence, but I know you guys can receive some sort of compensation with some effort.

Wow, that is some awful awful entitlement-driven advice. I bet you actually feel like you accomplished something worthwhile. This is why we need to loosen up immigration in this country. Gotta get some new blood in here that don't expect handouts.

Entitlement? How so? It is a business driven industry and everyone wants your hard earned dollar. This is CAG and it is about finding deals and doing things within good ethics. The fact is that I had a pre-order confirmed with Amazon and I put my faith in Best Buy to deliver when their system said it was in stock. I received a confirmation from Best Buy, then cancelled my Amazon order and I would like to think that a major Fortune 500 company can have their inventory and database correct.

This is not some mom and pop niche shop and is a major retailer. This is false advertising and we all know people in this country have sued for less and it is for the most idiotic reasons. I have every right to be upset and escalate this with their customer support as I am a silver member and have supported them with my money. They have gotten far more of my business than Amazon or Gamestop and I placed a PS4 and Xbone pre-order today with them as proof of this.

I know there are others on here that have dealt with the same issues. I have dealt with the short supply cancellations for Hyrule Historia and Ni No Kuni debacles, but there is not much you can do in those cases when they are distributed directly by the developer or have a specified allotment and once it is out of stock, it is gone. The same will probably happen when I miss out on the Borderlands 2 Diamond Plate Loot Chest, but that is fine as I know this happens.

In this case, Best Buy's system just magically had more of these in stock and it was enough of a headline to warrant this very post. Why are some people getting their orders fulfilled today while others have not with no rhyme or reason? If they are overselling an item, they are accountable to the consumer in some capacity. I complained because I ordered a copy and was given a confirmation. They decided to compensate me due to their mistake. I just wanted the item which was the reason for the call. If this does help others, then why not help. I have seen people condone others buying a game, collecting all of the free swag and DLC and then returning the item which I feel is unethical compared to what I suggested.

Wow, that is some awful awful entitlement-driven advice. I bet you actually feel like you accomplished something worthwhile. This is why we need to loosen up immigration in this country. Gotta get some new blood in here that don't expect handouts.
Like how you feel posting this?

I was thinking the same thing. People want to flame others here for the most miniscule things and not a single post is immune to criticism. You'll always have people calling someone a troll, saying this is not a deal as it is MSRP, the price of the game has been cheaper, there is already a post on this and just typical sarcasm. There are some that just want to genuinely try to help others out and if you are not trying to convince anyone to commit fraud or do something unethical, I don't see the issue? Maybe some people don't want to waste their time doing what I did, but I wanted an explanation and ended up being compensated for my time. I know this tactic is not for everyone, but then again this specific post is not a "deal" by most people, yet this post helps out people that wanted this game. There are others that go out of their way with placeholders and price matches and others will stay up till the late hours just to get a deal and we all have our idiosyncrasies. If this advice helps others out then why not offer it?  I recall people jumping on free games on both XBLA and PSN whenever there is a glitch to their system and it is obviously a mistake and people have no problems taking advantage of that system which I find hypocritical.

In this case, Best Buy's system just magically had more of these in stock and it was enough of a headline to warrant this very post. Why are some people getting their orders fulfilled today while others have not with no rhyme or reason?
That you used "magically" to describe this event is an interesting choice of words; it's also interesting that, even after this thread, you claim ignorance as to why some orders were fulfilled (canceled pre-orders from Saturday) and some were not (canceled pre-orders from Tuesday of those who tried to claim pre-orders canceled on Saturday). I don't know why any CAG user would order TLOS SE from BBY on Tuesday and cancel a pre-order from another retailer that's already 'locked in.' That literally makes no sense, given how it is sold out everywhere and has been for quite some time. At least you were able to cry your way into a GC. Congrats.

nothing like throwing around the word "false advertising".

I do expect to see some Survival Edition's day one somewhere.... just gotta figure out where.

bread's done
Back