[dead] MLB Power Pros Wii $17.99 amazon

[quote name='utopianmachine']Nice price. If I remember right, it doesn't use Wii Sports Baseball swinging, right?[/QUOTE]

yep, no wiimote swinging, but its still very fun.

[quote name='-Cheesey-']I'm thinking of picking this up, but is it worth it to buy now or should I wait for the new version?[/QUOTE]

I'd honestly say, buy it used at GS and then return it before the new one comes out. Unless thats dishonest.

I had this but I got it around the same time as MLB 08 the show for PS3 so it got put on the backburner and I just goozex'ed it yesterday. It's pretty damn fun and leans toward the arcade side of things. I didn't care for the career/sim mode but the gameplay in and of itself is pretty cool.

I *think* there might have been a mode or two with motion controls, but otherwise you can turn the wiimote sideways and play it 8-bit style or use a gamecube controller (what I did). Worth checking out on the cheap if you're on the fence about 08

[quote name='QiG']I had this but I got it around the same time as MLB 08 the show for PS3 so it got put on the backburner and I just goozex'ed it yesterday. It's pretty damn fun and leans toward the arcade side of things. I didn't care for the career/sim mode but the gameplay in and of itself is pretty cool.

I *think* there might have been a mode or two with motion controls, but otherwise you can turn the wiimote sideways and play it 8-bit style or use a gamecube controller (what I did). Worth checking out on the cheap if you're on the fence about 08[/QUOTE]

now that I think of it, it did have a mode with the wiimote, but it was only the wiimote, no nunchuck, and all you did was swing and shake it to run. Maybe they'll have a better wiimote implementation this time around.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']now that I think of it, it did have a mode with the wiimote, but it was only the wiimote, no nunchuck, and all you did was swing and shake it to run. Maybe they'll have a better wiimote implementation this time around.[/quote]

fuck that....this game doesn't need to be ruined with forced wiimote controls. The couple of modes that are provided (independent of season and the other main modes) are more than adequate and blow the pants off of Wii Sports Baseball AND The Bigs.

I played this game to DEATH....and cannot WAIT for the new version to finally hit. I was worried that the Konami/2K deal was going to fall through, because I'm sure the 1st one didn't sell that great.

So fellas....if you have never played it and are on the fence, here's what you need to know:

- If you're into sim management and RPG-esqe stat building and powering up your players, then wait for 2008, as these aspects have been greatly expanded.

- If you're more partial to gameplay and season/exhibition modes and don't mind an outdated roster, then get last years edition, 'cause the core gameplay is unchanged.

This is indeed the closest we will get to the spiritual successor to Baseball Stars, so whether you get this years or last, DON'T MISS IT!!

Also, there is a possibility that the DS version that comes out this fall may interact with 2008. Nothing announced yet, but I sure hope so. Making custom characters on the go at work then transferring them into the Wii later would be AWESOME! That and maybe having road games with your main season for REAL!!:bouncy:

Last edited by a moderator:
IGN had a preview of the new 2008 version a couple weeks ago.

The Wii version specifically hasn't changed much from last year, which was basically a PS2 port with a new Wii Remote mode. That mode again exists, allowing for motion swinging and pitching, Mii integration for "Mii vs. Power Pro" games and the like, and a simple "shake to encourage" system for base running and fielding, having the computer execute better the faster you shake the remote. It's simple, and still the only mode where the Wii's hardware is used in a different way from PS2. PS2 owners can buy MLB Power Pros 2008 knowing that they aren't missing much this year, but at the same time Wii owners will have to accept the game's traditional feel if they're going to drop top dollar for it. Wii usage is still at a minimum.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/884/884387p1.html

Well, it sounds like I won't be missing out on much with the "old" version. Good deal! :)

[quote name='evilmrt']Well, it sounds like I won't be missing out on much with the "old" version. Good deal! :)[/quote]

True and not true.

MLB Power Pros is a FANTASTIC MLB game. I'd highly recommend it to anyone. PP2008 will also have a different Success Mode along with a new MLB Life mode as well. Success Mode was a timekiller for me and was a shitload of fun but this MLB Life mode looks to be VERY entertaining.

So, I do and don't agree to some aspect on your statement. PP2008 thus far looks to be a roster update, a new mode, a refreshed Success Mode.

Hopefully the walk issue will be fixed this year, too. THAT was a big problem with me in last year's game.

Back up to 19.99. Oh well. Maybe I'll just wait for the second one if people say that one is better. Will that one have online play? Or does this one have online play for that matter.

[quote name='Regian']True and not true.

MLB Power Pros is a FANTASTIC MLB game. I'd highly recommend it to anyone. PP2008 will also have a different Success Mode along with a new MLB Life mode as well. Success Mode was a timekiller for me and was a shitload of fun but this MLB Life mode looks to be VERY entertaining.

So, I do and don't agree to some aspect on your statement. PP2008 thus far looks to be a roster update, a new mode, a refreshed Success Mode.

Hopefully the walk issue will be fixed this year, too. THAT was a big problem with me in last year's game.[/quote]

Walk issue? What is this walk issue you speak of?

My biggest problem was the inability to commit one one player to field the ball. It was like if you move the joystick in the slightest in another direction, you would switch fielders, even if that fielder wasn't closest to the ball.

[quote name='Thedrknss48']Back up to 19.99. Oh well. Maybe I'll just wait for the second one if people say that one is better. Will that one have online play? Or does this one have online play for that matter.[/quote]

No online play, and nothing announced for 2008 yet.

[quote name='Knoxximus']Walk issue? What is this walk issue you speak of?

My biggest problem was the inability to commit one one player to field the ball. It was like if you move the joystick in the slightest in another direction, you would switch fielders, even if that fielder wasn't closest to the ball.[/QUOTE]

That was my biggest problem as well, I dont know about the walk thing. Maybe he didn't walk alot? Another issue I had was baserunning, I found it hard to get go for a double without a pause at first base.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']That was my biggest problem as well, I dont know about the walk thing. Maybe he didn't walk alot? Another issue I had was baserunning, I found it hard to get go for a double without a pause at first base.[/quote]

Yeah, the base running wasn't very intuitive. I would just keep mashing for the runner to advance and he would turn the corner okay. I would still jack up on halting/sending back to base tho.:lol:

Oh and Old Boy RULES.

[quote name='Knoxximus']Walk issue? What is this walk issue you speak of?
[/quote]

The issue I speak of is the lack of walks by a CPU pitcher. Every time I was able to get the count full, the next pitch was a strike. Didn't matter what the situation was, the pitcher would never walk anyone.

Sure, there were plenty of hit batters. But I was never able to draw a walk from a CPU pitcher.

[quote name='Regian']The issue I speak of is the lack of walks by a CPU pitcher. Every time I was able to get the count full, the next pitch was a strike. Didn't matter what the situation was, the pitcher would never walk anyone.

Sure, there were plenty of hit batters. But I was never able to draw a walk from a CPU pitcher.[/quote]

Hmmm....never noticed, but I will definitely look out for it now!

bread's done
Back