Dead Nation - PSN - $14.99 - Platinum Trophy! - Road of Devastation out 9/27 for $4

[quote name='lokizz']the story is pretty hokey though but as a fan of zombie anything its easy to look past it and enjoy the fun of the game. co-op isnt enabled though for the beta but i can see the potential fun there.[/QUOTE]

every zombie movie/game has a hokey story though. that doesnt phase me in the slightest.

I'm hoping this game is more fun and not as monotonous as Zombie Apocalypse. Game was fun for about 15 mins, then got redundant.

[quote name='def PD']I'm hoping this game is more fun and not as monotonous as Zombie Apocalypse. Game was fun for about 15 mins, then got redundant.[/QUOTE]

This is a lot more like a Survival horror game than a twin-stick shooter. For example, instead of being in a closed 'arena' you're actually traveling through a level and advancing. So it's a lot more fun than Zombie Apocalypse. Think of it as a top-down RE

This game is pretty fun. I think they could work on the control scheme a bit however. It'd be nice to have a jump button in there (unless I missed it). Aiming didn't feel all that easy/precise either but that's probably because of the top-down perspective. Pretty solid overall though. I also like that there's at least some narrative. A lot of these zombie games don't have any sort of story or voice acting.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='erequena']This is a lot more like a Survival horror game than a twin-stick shooter. For example, instead of being in a closed 'arena' you're actually traveling through a level and advancing. So it's a lot more fun than Zombie Apocalypse. Think of it as a top-down RE[/QUOTE]

That's good news! It sounds a lot like an M-rated, 4 player co-op version of Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

I have Monster Madness for the PS3 but can never find anyone to play with, so I guess ZN will do when the rest of us can buy/play it. :D

[quote name='def PD']That's good news! It sounds a lot like an M-rated, 4 player co-op version of Zombies Ate My Neighbors.[/QUOTE]

If that's true, I'm all over it. I love ZAMN. Although I couldn't usually get past the giant ants without my Game Genie. That's one of the only games I think I've ever played where using a game genie didn't ruin the fun, just enhanced it (infinite ammo code).

[quote name='Voodoo_Lou']Me. I haven't received one. Day 1 (year sub) PS+ subscriber.[/QUOTE]
Same here, I am sure its just random bad luck.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...ine-co-op-confirmed-special-zombies-revealed/

Online Co-op Announced:
Ladies and gentlemen! Today I would like to confirm that Dead Nation does indeed feature online co-op play! You will be able to team up with your friends either sharing the same couch or via the PlayStation Network against the undead invasion and start blasting thousands of zombies into pieces and piling up the bodies. All of this and much more is included in Dead Nation, check out the Know Your Enemy trailer.

Originally, online co-op wasn’t going to be included as a launch feature, as the schedule and resources didn’t allow it. However, after many late night play testing sessions and long talks with Sony Computer Entertainment, we decided that this was a must-have feature and it would be unfair to you if we launched without it! At this point, our coders went from working 12 hour days to working 16 hour days as well as weekends! Fortunately I think what we came up works really well. Check out these new co-op screenshots and see for yourself!

The online co-op fully matches the offline experience. Enjoy the full co-op experience with hundreds of on-screen zombies, huge explosions, blowing up zombies into a plethora of pieces and bloody entrails scattered around.

In addition to the coders working non-stop, the designers and artists felt it was only fair to throw themselves into the mix and created big gameplay levels with tons of replay value, adding weapon upgrade system and cool weapons to bring a new tactical dimension to the gameplay.

They also confirmed the price in the comments as $14.99.

Looks like i'll be blowing $30 just on this and Costume Quest

May have to wait for some reviews on that RDR zombie dlc...

i was a little hesitant on buying this cuz of not having online co-op. now its an instant purchase. id rather wait and have online co-op at launch then get it a little early and be stuck playing by myself.

[quote name='def PD']That's good news! It sounds a lot like an M-rated, 4 player co-op version of Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

I have Monster Madness for the PS3 but can never find anyone to play with, so I guess ZN will do when the rest of us can buy/play it. :D[/QUOTE]

Oh merciful gods, you mentioned ZAMN.

Now, even if the game sucks, I /have/ to buy it.

I got a preview code from Sony for Dead Nation that seems to be the full, final build since I got a few trophies after the first mission. The biggest surprise is that this game has a platinum trophy.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I got a preview code from Sony for Dead Nation that seems to be the full, final build since I got a few trophies after the first mission. The biggest surprise is that this game has a platinum trophy.[/QUOTE]
Cool.

I got a review code today, so this shouldn't be too far off. That's good.
The embargo is TBA since there's no release date yet. That's bad.
It seems that there may be a date announced later this week. That's good.
The game is cursed. That's bad.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I got a review code today, so this shouldn't be too far off. That's good.
The embargo is TBA since there's no release date yet. That's bad.
It seems that there may be a date announced later this week. That's good.
The game is cursed. That's bad.[/QUOTE]
:lol:
I love that halloween episode.
Hoping it releases sooner.

im glad i got to play the beta seems kinda dumb they didnt try to get this out during halloween. i really hope theyre taking this time to add more to it.

well they did add online co-op. im sure it would have been out by now if they didnt include that but personally id rather wait and have the online option.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I got a preview code from Sony for Dead Nation that seems to be the full, final build since I got a few trophies after the first mission. The biggest surprise is that this game has a platinum trophy.[/QUOTE]

... I need this. :whee:

Nope.

I wonder what they mean by "certain PSN accounts that are online" since that sounds like a really random bug.

I should have my review done later this week since I still haven't finished the game and I'd like to try out a higher difficulty with the girl character.

I'm surprised by some of the high review scores as while I'm looking forward to it, it does appear to be yet another dual-stick shooter.

It's not "yet another dual-stick shooter." Play Dead Nation and Zombie Apocalypse and tell me which one was content with being a dual-stick shooter with zombies and which one is a zombie shooter that uses dual-stick controls.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's not "yet another dual-stick shooter." Play Dead Nation and Zombie Apocalypse and tell me which one was content with being a dual-stick shooter with zombies and which one is a zombie shooter that uses dual-stick controls.[/QUOTE]
I am considering Dead Nation, but not sure what you mean by the above. I only played the demo for Zombie Apocalypse for a few minutes..Are you saying Dead Nation is really good but ZA was not? Just curious. Also, I see that Dead Nation has a looting experience to it, can you expound on that component at all from your play time?

[quote name='ninja dog']I love how they decided to make an example of this game, yet they seem to "miss" major issues with big budget games all the time.[/QUOTE]

ign is a joke.just lookat their move vs kinect video lol its sad to see how far that site has fallen.

[quote name='wrencrest']I am considering Dead Nation, but not sure what you mean by the above. I only played the demo for Zombie Apocalypse for a few minutes..Are you saying Dead Nation is really good but ZA was not? Just curious. Also, I see that Dead Nation has a looting experience to it, can you expound on that component at all from your play time?[/QUOTE]
You called Dead Nation just another dual-stick shooter when it goes far beyond what the average dual-stick shooter, like Zombie Apocalypse, does with the controls. The game as a whole is a bit more like a Left 4 Dead from the overhead perspective without the forced co-op in single-player mode, as you're moving through actual environments rather than just an arena with zombies in it. The controls are not the same as your typical dual-stick shooter since aiming doesn't automatically shoot and there's weight to your character's movements, so you move more slowly when walking backwards than forwards.

The loot isn't really anything like a Diablo or even a DeathSpank, as there are just large crates hidden around each level that earn you a new piece of armor that you can put on at a checkpoint area.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You called Dead Nation just another dual-stick shooter when it goes far beyond what the average dual-stick shooter, like Zombie Apocalypse, does with the controls. The game as a whole is a bit more like a Left 4 Dead from the overhead perspective without the forced co-op in single-player mode, as you're moving through actual environments rather than just an arena with zombies in it. The controls are not the same as your typical dual-stick shooter since aiming doesn't automatically shoot and there's weight to your character's movements, so you move more slowly when walking backwards than forwards.

The loot isn't really anything like a Diablo or even a DeathSpank, as there are just large crates hidden around each level that earn you a new piece of armor that you can put on at a checkpoint area.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the response, but it wasnt me who called it a dual stick shooter. I just saw your comment and wondered what you meant by it. ;)

[quote name='ninja dog']I love how they decided to make an example of this game, yet they seem to "miss" major issues with big budget games all the time.[/QUOTE]

yeah, in all honesty, there is no real reason to that article. why mention why the review hasnt been posted yet? the game doesnt come out till the 30th, so they have time before they post a review. frisky and it seems like every other person who reviewed this game so far has yet to experience anything that ign has been talking about.

That video makes me want the game even more. Looks really cool. I love how the explosions send the bodies up in the air towards the camera. Cool effect.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-dead-nation/17-3527/

Giant Bomb has a quick look up for this and it showed me a huge thing I never knew, that you could search cars for stuff. I always just blew them up on sight to take out zombies, so I never thought that was where the ~50% of a level's loot was hidden.[/QUOTE]

yeah theres stuff in the trunks of some of those trucks loaded with zombies have small cases in them.

[quote name='NamPaehc']20% off for plus users according to ps blog tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Sweeet, finally PS+ does something decent! I was back and forth on buying this, but with an extra $3 off and the fact that I got my PSN points on the cheap, I will probably bite!

[quote name='lokizz']shit 20% off ill bite.[/QUOTE]

Its an example of what PS+ should be about. Lots of minis and PS classics, toss in a full release game every 2 months and then 15-25% off new releases.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Its an example of what PS+ should be about. Lots of minis and PS classics, toss in a full release game every 2 months and then 15-25% off new releases.[/QUOTE]

i agree .the past few months plus has improved alot .if they continue discounting new games like this more people will subscrbe to the service.

bread's done
Back