[DEAD] Planet Earth (DVD & Bluray) on the cheap for Cyber Monday...

Tried to order the Blu-ray twice with the discount code and got error messages. Sent it along to their customer service; hopefully I'm able to get through. Thanks OP -- hope I can actually take advantage of this rad deal.

Do you all think there's any chance this blu ray set could fall between $19.99 and $24.99 when we get closer to Christmas? With my huge backlog, I wouldn't be able to watch it until then anyways, so I want to save if I can. Or is this the best deal we're likely to see on this set? Any feedback would be appreciated!

I would say this is probably going to be the (if not at least one of the) best deals on this set. It is still very popular and sells for retail generally.

Thank for the advice, souleman. The only sweeter deal that I could think of is if Amazon were going to price match this set. With Amazon, we can save a bit more by getting the set with free shipping and no tax. Any idea how long Discovery will have this sale for? If it's all week, maybe we could wait and see if Amazon tries to match them in the next couple of days...

I found out about the deal through an e-mail Discovery sent me. In the e-mail it was listed as a Cyber Monday deal. Now it may continue beyond today but it didn't say anything specifically about it.

Just a heads up, the Discovery version was edited to be shorter than the BBC version and has different narrators I believe. Still a great price!

I myself would prefer the BBC version but can't pass up this deal. Worse comes to worst I can always trade this version to another CAG if there's a similar deal on the other one.

$25.78 shipped for the standard def edition.

To use that coupon ($5 off $25), you have to add something to put you over. The cheapest thing I could find in a pinch on the site was a video download for $1.79.

Still, great price and no tax with cheap shipping makes for a nice Christmas gift.

Before pulling the trigger, I read some reviews on the different sets and found out that the BBC version not only is longer, apparently has a better narrator, but better picture quality as well. Nothing too substantial, but anyone who wants the definitive experience is going to want the BBC version. Amazon only sells the BBC version to my knowledge, but have not discounted it at this time. This is sure a great price though. Man, I'm torn here. US version got 4/5 PQ rating and BBC got a 5/5 rating. Hmmmm....

Also, the standard definition includes significant bonus features not found on the HD versions of both BBC and Discovery. Might pick up the standard definition now and wait for the price to drop on the BBC Blu-Ray.

Yeah, I was about to jump on this two until I read the comment a few post up. I did a little research myself and a post said its about 8 minutes shorter per episode.

So can we confirm that the standard DVD set has the BBC narration, longer episodes, and more bonus features? If so, that might be the deal to beat here. Unless Amazon discounts their BBC blu ray, which may or may not happen. With how crazy these price matches have been, anything's possible...

Americans gotta have time for their commercials. I Had the American HD-DVD version and while I obviously can't compare it to the BBC version I will say that it is still a very beautiful set. Sigourney Weaver also (sp?) does an adequate job narrating. I just don't see the BBC version (as it is the more sought after set) coming down in price any time soon.

Ah, gotcha. I think I'm going to go ahead and cross my fingers and hold out until the BBC set comes down in price then. Even though this is a deal for those who don't mind shorter episodes, different narration, and slightly inferior picture quality, I'm going to see if I can get the BBC for a similar price closer to Christmas. Here's hoping!

considering the cheapest i've seen the BBC BR was 63-ish (at costco), i think 36 for the american version is great! i still have the BBC HDDVD version, so at least i can have the best of both worlds :)

OK guys, got some (could be) good news. If this sale lasts through the 4th Amazon will price match it. Just got off the phone with a rep and he said that during the busy shopping week of Black Friday they are not directly price matching deals but after the 4th they will again and to call back after the 4th (I will probably try on the 4th). Take that as it sits. If this set is still on sale tomorrow I would say there's a pretty good chance we could get the discount from amazon.

This version is 1080i vs BBC 1080p. It's a big difference between the two. Also the narration is better on the BBC version.

Yeah, for the price difference it's hard to pass up.
smile.gif
smile.gif

[quote name='RobnessMonster']...the BBC version not only is longer, apparently has a better narrator, but better picture quality as well. Nothing too substantial, but anyone who wants the definitive experience is going to want the BBC version. Amazon only sells the BBC version to my knowledge, but have not discounted it at this time. This is sure a great price though. US version got 4/5 PQ rating and BBC got a 5/5 rating. Hmmmm....[/quote]
I believe the US version is 1080i and the (better) BBC is 1080p
nice deal but I'll wait

Awesome news, Souleman. Thanks for looking out for all of us and letting us know about Amazon. Hopefully the Discovery store keeps the sale going so the rest of can get the BBC for about half price from Amazon later this week. If you do get a chance to call back, please give us an update in this thread once you hear from them.

[quote name='SoulEdgeVII']Just a heads up, the Discovery version was edited to be shorter than the BBC version and has different narrators I believe. Still a great price![/quote]

And the American version (Sigourney Weaver narrates it) is the only version discovery.com sells. It isn't in 1080 P. The BBC version is, and is much better than the US version.

I got this at frys B&M for 37 on black friday. I been wanting the Blu ray version for my daughter

Yeah, this one's dead guys. No PM at Amazon. Even though I am still holding out hope for the BBC version I will be happy with this one for now.

I just got the discount (morning of the 4th) at the Discovery site!

Got the Blu-Ray (for my wife) for $46 (after coupon with free shipping).

I was just about to pay $59 at Deepdiscount -- can't wait with Xmas on the way.

[quote name='schultzed']I just got the discount (morning of the 4th) at the Discovery site!

Got the Blu-Ray (for my wife) for $46 (after coupon with free shipping).

I was just about to pay $59 at Deepdiscount -- can't wait with Xmas on the way.[/QUOTE]

Of course now I read the middle posts . . . need to cancel the order. Must have BBC version.

Hmm, kinda disappointing news about the different versions. But I haven't seen the BBC one at all, so hopefully it won't matter to me. I'll probably just pick up the BBC version once it drops in price, whenever that may be.

bread's done
Back