Dead Play & Charge Battery after 6 Months?

Gentlegamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I joined the current gen with an Xbox 360 Elite earlier this year, and purchased a black play & charge kit with it. After about 6 months, it appears the rechargeable battery doesn't hold a charge anymore! 6 months!

Is this normal for the Microsoft rechargeable batteries?

Mine lasted longer than that, but I do see a lot of people posting about battery packs that died after only a few months. In the long run, we're all better off investing in some quality rechargeable batteries.

Mine have all lasted longer than that. I mainly switch between 2 of mine, one of which is probably about 2 years old, and one that's about a year old.

I believe that. It's even worse if it's 3rd party. This IS M$ we're talking about you know. They don't do quality.

My original day one Xbox/battery pack still works well. One I bought about 6 months ago stated giving me trouble so its kinda hit or miss, but usually they last a lot longer and its rare they short out so fast.

I believe a few of mine are dead, one probably died really quick if I remember another took a year, and the last one that's having problems charges sometimes but not others

If you play a lot the AA batts might not last all that long but at least you know what you're getting for the price. I'd look at the mAh rating too that might help out you're life span too.

I just said screw it all and used a wired controller. Problem Solved.

I can't seem to find the mAh rating for the MS battery packs, but you can easily get 2 rechargeable AAs with 4800 to 5200 mAh total. Unless they've upgraded the batteries over time, that probably comes close to what they are. Those should last a good while if you want to go that route. I would suggest that really, since buying some rechargeable AAs and a charger would also work for a lot more applications and over time would be cheaper than buying AAs over and over.

EDIT: I just looked at a controller and it's rated at 450mA (which should be the maximum), so 2 2400mAh AAs should last at least 10 hours, and 2 2600mAh AAs would give you at least ~12. Since MS says their rechargeables can last "up to" 25 hours they probably hold more power than that, but I dunno what numbers they're using for that estimate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eneloops or Rayovac hybrid rechargeables FTW!

By the way, I've had my MS rechargeable packs for 2 years at this point, and they're still about 85% as effective as they were brand new. I use the charging station, not the USB cable from the system (effectively a trickle charge). So perhaps that is one route to go.

For those having battery issues - are you using the charging station or the USB cable?

I wouldn't recommend the USB charge cables because they are M$ quality ($hitty). The one we used the most while I was at my friends house has a short because the connection at the controller is already warn out. You have to get it EXACTLY in the right place because it won't charge otherwise. The indicator light will let you know when you're close to it charging or whether it's ready to break instead. Granted this is third party but the M$ one can't be that much different or better.

At this point we might as well have a wired one since the minute you put it out (that's what she said) it will die.

As a couple people have mentioned, Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables (http://www.amazon.com/SANYO-eneloop-Pre-Charged-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B000IV2WAW) are definitely the way to go. Unlike most rechargeables, they retain their charge (when unused) for seemingly months at a time, and have excellent battery life. I use them for my Wiimotes, and I'm getting some more to use for my 360 controllers. I have 2 black play and charge kits, and they usually last about 5 minutes after they're "charged".

As far as chargers go: I recommend La Crosse - http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-BC-9009-AlphaPower-Battery/dp/B00077AA5Q/

I'll probably get the batteries and charger suggested by Multicron. Since I have the play and charge kit and I can at least plug the sucker in while I play and use it as a corded controller in the meantime.

I have been through two pairs of batterys from the play & charge kit. It is awful. I even called Microsoft to get a replacement and they said I broke it. Wtf?

Eneloops! Just buy them. Stop buying battery packs dedicated to just one device.

*walks off, quietly sobbing* ... Why won't they listen...

Good information in this thread since I was thinking of going with a play and charge kit soon. I bought the energizer 15 minute charger (and corresponding batteries) when I got my Wii at the end of 2006 and they don't really hold a charge anymore. I always figured that they'd burn out through charging cycles and not so much just over time.

buy a duel charge kit instead. i've had 2 batteries stop charging with the play & charge kit but they charge fine in the duel charger.

[quote name='mitch079']buy a duel charge kit instead. i've had 2 batteries stop charging with the play & charge kit but they charge fine in the duel charger.[/QUOTE]

So you think it is the wire/mechanism of it charging through the controller? Interesting. I may have to look into that.

Another vote for eneloops. I bought mine in a kit at Costco for the charger, 8 AA's and 2 AA's, and some C & D adapters for a little less than $30. The MS batteries died on me after a year and I've never looked back since going with the eneloops.

I bought those eneloops and just got em today. They fit in the controller, barely, and are very difficult to get out (I need to use the back end of a hole punch to grip the battery)

Anyone know where I can get a battery cover that will fit them a little better? Or am I stuck with it this way.

Mine are like three years old and still work OK, but I use the dual charger. I also alternate with using Eneloops, which are great.

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']I bought those eneloops and just got em today. They fit in the controller, barely, and are very difficult to get out (I need to use the back end of a hole punch to grip the battery)

Anyone know where I can get a battery cover that will fit them a little better? Or am I stuck with it this way.[/QUOTE]

anyone else deal with this?

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']I bought those eneloops and just got em today. They fit in the controller, barely, and are very difficult to get out (I need to use the back end of a hole punch to grip the battery)

Anyone know where I can get a battery cover that will fit them a little better? Or am I stuck with it this way.[/QUOTE]

Weird. I have four wireless controllers, and 36 Eneloops. I have never had a problem with them fitting in the controllers, in my thermostat, in flashlights, or in /anything./ They are precisely the same size as standard alkaline batteries.

So my charge and play battery started working for a brief time, long enough for me to finish Mass Effect. Now, it's back to not holding a charge. This leads me to believe it is the cable, not the battery: the cable isn't charging the battery consistently but it can hold a charge.

bread's done
Back