*DEAD* Playstation 3D Display Bundle $249.99 (Brand New - Best Buy)

wish this thread would die already, all the negativity sucks. I mean, I'm truly sorry for all those who bought it and it broke, however, I have no idea what percentage of those people are the kind that leave their laptop plugged in all 24/7, then in a month or two wonder why their battery doesn't last more than 20 mins..

The fact is, you won't find a 24" tv/monitor for the same price with the same features and an (albeit) well-known manufacturer. You want to get at 24" LCD from CVS with triple coupons for $79.99? good luck when you have to send it somewhere in China, pay for the shipping and never see it again. People have said Sony is making good w/ the 1-year warranty, so some of us aren't worried. Plus the form factor for this is what sells. Maybe its my love for the pspGO, but no one else has a TV shaped this nice. I hope mine lasts forever, and if it dies, I'll use it as a mirror. :lol:

[quote name='token2k6']wish this thread would die already, all the negativity sucks. I mean, I'm truly sorry for all those who bought it and it broke, however, I have no idea what percentage of those people are the kind that leave their laptop plugged in all 24/7, then in a month or two wonder why their battery doesn't last more than 20 mins..

The fact is, you won't find a 24" tv/monitor for the same price with the same features and an (albeit) well-known manufacturer. You want to get at 24" LCD from CVS with triple coupons for $79.99? good luck when you have to send it somewhere in China, pay for the shipping and never see it again. People have said Sony is making good w/ the 1-year warranty, so some of us aren't worried. Plus the form factor for this is what sells. Maybe its my love for the pspGO, but no one else has a TV shaped this nice. I hope mine lasts forever, and if it dies, I'll use it as a mirror. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I like the way you think....

[quote name='LiK']$199 and i'm in.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, as kinney_bmx said, they did have it for this price and I'm glad I jumped on it. I just got it today and so far it has exceeded my expectations (though those were dampened somewhat by all the negativity). Now if it breaks in a week or a month or 6 months I'll be as upset as anyone. But my day 1 impression is very good. Here is what I posted in the Sony Store sale thread which no one will probably see there since it is in the Deal Graveyard now:

---------------------------

I set it up and within 5 minutes of plugging it in my son was playing Halo CE Anniversary in 3D. The screen is awesome looking and I have no problems with stuck or dead pixels. I know some have had reliability issues - I have a feeling I'll find out soon if mine is a dud. I went back up later and my son was still using it (without 3D) for Halo Reach and Minecraft. Even though we have a 67" TV right next to it, he thought it was pretty cool to sit in a chair and game like it is a computer screen. Plus that way he and his brother can play at the same time (not that he cares to give his brother more gaming time). So I figure we'll be putting it to heavy use over the next few months and will see how it holds up. The picture is beautiful though - and I haven't even tried the 3D yet myself.

In anticipation of the new Sony display, I went out this weekend and bought some IKEA furniture for both it and our primary gaming TV (a 67" Samsung DLP TV I got cheap when that tech was on its way out). We've had it temporarily sitting on an old coffee table (for 3 years now). Plus the new setup finally properly houses the PS3, 360, Wii, and a DVD player which were all sitting on an old end table next to the old coffee table with the TV. This new $200 display finally gave me the incentive to fix that room up and it looks way better. That was a side benefit of buying this thing that I did not anticipate!

----------------------------

The only problem I have with it is that I'll have to yank the HDMI cable out of the back of the 360 and PS3 to change the hookup to the larger TV or the 3D display and that is pretty inconvenient. I'll have to look into this but there must be some sort of HDMI switch/splitter I can get so at least I can hook up one of those to both displays. If I could hook up both even better, but probably the 360 will get more use on it (just since that's what my older son plays and he will be the one using the new display).

[quote name='io']
The only problem I have with it is that I'll have to yank the HDMI cable out of the back of the 360 and PS3 to change the hookup to the larger TV or the 3D display and that is pretty inconvenient. I'll have to look into this but there must be some sort of HDMI switch/splitter I can get so at least I can hook up one of those to both displays. If I could hook up both even better, but probably the 360 will get more use on it (just since that's what my older son plays and he will be the one using the new display).[/QUOTE]

You need a hdmi switch (not splitter, big difference) that has two outputs similar to this. The splitter would also viewing by both screens at the same time which I don't think you want.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5312&seq=1&format=2

I personally have no experience with this one or other dual outputs switches but use a 2 hdmi switch between my ps3 and 360 and it works great. Monoprice is cheap also. When I got mine, I had to worry if it and the cables were HDCP-compliant. I don't think that's an issue now, just FYI.

[quote name='boneless']You need a hdmi switch (not splitter, big difference) that has two outputs similar to this. The splitter would also viewing by both screens at the same time which I don't think you want.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5312&seq=1&format=2

I personally have no experience with this one or other dual outputs switches but use a 2 hdmi switch between my ps3 and 360 and it works great. Monoprice is cheap also. When I got mine, I had to worry if it and the cables were HDCP-compliant. I don't think that's an issue now, just FYI.[/QUOTE]

I looked at switches and splitters on Amazon and it isn't entirely clear - I might need one of each.

Ideally, I'd like to have something that hooks up the PS3 and 360 and connects both to both TVs at the same time but with the ability to swap which TV they go to. Does that make sense?

Actually, a switch seems like something I don't want - it seems to take multiple inputs and switch between them to create one output. Like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-3-In-1-O...QYQ2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337760343&sr=8-2

I need the opposite. I need 1 input to go to the 2 TV's (but only one at a time). Eg, I can take the 360 HDMI out and use a splitter to send it to both the big TV and the 3D display. I'd only ever use it on one or the other but it would be nice not to have to swap cables around. The splitters have to be powered, though, which seems like overkill for what I need since I don't need simultaneous display.

A cheap, simple manual switch that works the opposite of the one in the Amazon link would be best. I could get two, actually, since the Sony display has 2 HDMI inputs. So one manual switch for the 360 and one for the PS3 would be ideal.

But boneless, thanks for that link (I just looked now). That is an entirely different beast that I didn't even know existed. It is a "Matrix Switcher" and seems to do exactly what I need - and it really does seem to be both a switch and a splitter in one device. It takes 4 inputs and can switch them in any combination to 2 outputs (including 1 input to both devices if you want). I didn't see anything like that on my Amazon search so I will look deeper. Only problem is that is a bit expensive ($50). A simple $10 manual swtich on each (PS3/360) would work for me - though that thing looks slick ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='io']I looked at switches and splitters on Amazon and it isn't entirely clear - I might need one of each.

Ideally, I'd like to have something that hooks up the PS3 and 360 and connects both to both TVs at the same time but with the ability to swap which TV they go to. Does that make sense?

Actually, a switch seems like something I don't want - it seems to take multiple inputs and switch between them to create one output. Like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-3-In-1-O...QYQ2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337760343&sr=8-2

I need the opposite. I need 1 input to go to the 2 TV's (but only one at a time). Eg, I can take the 360 HDMI out and use a splitter to send it to both the big TV and the 3D display. I'd only ever use it on one or the other but it would be nice not to have to swap cables around. The splitters have to be powered, though, which seems like overkill for what I need since I don't need simultaneous display.

A cheap, simple manual switch that works the opposite of the one in the Amazon link would be best. I could get two, actually, since the Sony display has 2 HDMI inputs. So one manual switch for the 360 and one for the PS3 would be ideal.

But boneless, thanks for that link (I just looked now). That is an entirely different beast that I didn't even know existed. It is a "Matrix Switcher" and seems to do exactly what I need - and it really does seem to be both a switch and a splitter in one device. It takes 4 inputs and can switch them in any combination to 2 outputs (including 1 input to both devices if you want). I didn't see anything like that on my Amazon search so I will look deeper. Only problem is that is a bit expensive ($50). A simple $10 manual swtich on each (PS3/360) would work for me - though that thing looks slick ;).[/QUOTE]

first of all, let me say I'm extremely jealous of you and others since I missed out on the $199 so it pains me to write advice :D.

I don't see why a splitter has to be powered unless hdmi splitters require it.

You could just buy that switch you saw and manually move the HDMI cable to whichever display. But the pain-free way is to get a 2 output switch. The cheaper switches are usually 1 output/mutiple inputs or 1 input/multiple outputs. The difference too is that cheap switches feel mechanical when you press the button since they are just moving connections like switching a breaker. The matrix switcher probably feels more "digital".

Since it has 4 inputs, you could justify other devices to hook up that you might want to move from display to display. Or you can consider it future-proofing since next-gen consoles will have it. But really, wouldn't it be nice to move between PS3 and xbox between displays? :D

bread's done
Back