[DEAD] Portal 2 (PS3/360/PC) - $54.99 + $5 Giftcard

[quote name='ryheeles']I get the point you're trying to make here, but what's with this sense of entitlement? Amazon doesn't need to have promos of any kind. They don't need to sell games for less than MSRP all the time. But they do. This bonus is worth a little less than others. Deal with it.[/QUOTE]

This is Cheapassgamer.com last I checked. Maybe I'm just more of a CAG than you are. You know, you could actually spin many comments here where people say "too much" "$20 or less" and so forth into your "sense of entitlement" category. I bet you said something along those lines at least once too. I'm almost certain that you have certain expectations when it comes to amazon's service. That could be considered a sense of entitlement too.

I'm sorta w/ ryheeles here. I don't see how Amazon has any obligation to offer $20+ discounts on new release games, or to sell items at a loss, or do anything if it's a money-losing proposition. You can't expect amazing deals from a single retailer to come all the time, because at the end of the day, it's all about profit margins.

I've gotten plenty of awesome videogame deals from Amazon over the years, with many a $10, $20, or even $40 dollar promotional gift credit for buying games, but I realize that they're a business that's trying to make money, and they can't offer large discounts or credit offers on EVERY game or ALL the time. I'm just happy when they do offer great deals, and if they ARE not offering a great deal on something I want, then I take my business elsewhere. Simple as that.

With Tax where I live this game would be $65, with Amazon it's $50 ( no tax and I have a shit load of credit with them, so I get that $5 right back), saving $15 equals a deal to me.

[quote name='ssjmichael']This is Cheapassgamer.com last I checked. Maybe I'm just more of a CAG than you are. You know, you could actually spin many comments here where people say "too much" "$20 or less" and so forth into your "sense of entitlement" category. I bet you said something along those lines at least once too. I'm almost certain that you have certain expectations when it comes to amazon's service. That could be considered a sense of entitlement too.[/QUOTE]

There's a big difference between saying you don't want to to pay more than a certain amount for a game or expecting quality customer service and complaining about the pre-order incentives a company offers. Maybe you're more of a CAG than I am? Who cares? Being a true CAG would probably mean that you'd never even consider pre-ordering anything (why be in this thread if you're not at least considering it?) because it would always be cheaper at some point. Get it if you're willing to pay the price they're offering, don't get it if you'd rather play it later and save a little more money.

Really? $55 for a puzzle game that should be an arcade title? Nay, nay, nay.

Only played a sniffed of Portal when I owned the Orange Box and that it was an 800 point purchase at best...how could 2 be better?

[quote name='jcp42877']Only played a sniffed of Portal when I owned the Orange Box and that it was an 800 point purchase at best...how could 2 be better?[/QUOTE]
What does "sniffed" mean when used as a noun?

The original Portal was not a full price game (it was either bundled or cheap standalone through Steam). I think the idea with making it a full price title is that its content will increase accordingly. If Portal 2 ends up being just as short then yes it would be overpriced.

[quote name='jcp42877']Really? $55 for a puzzle game that should be an arcade title? Nay, nay, nay.

Only played a sniffed of Portal when I owned the Orange Box and that it was an 800 point purchase at best...how could 2 be better?[/QUOTE]

I dunno, we'd have to actually play it first.

Don't forget the PS3 copy lets you redeem a PC copy too, so there's that.

Tempted, but I have enough backlog to probably last me until Skyrim comes out.

Also wonder what KMart is going to have for this game.

[quote name='jcp42877']Really? $55 for a puzzle game that should be an arcade title? Nay, nay, nay.

Only played a sniffed of Portal when I owned the Orange Box and that it was an 800 point purchase at best...how could 2 be better?[/QUOTE]

This is one of the dumbest comments I've read all day.

As tempted as I am to pick up the PS3 version, connect it to my pc steam account, and sell it... I think i might just wait until Steam has one of those insane deals on the game. Judging from past valve titles... I expect to see this for $20 in 4-5 months.

I really want to know how this steam/PSN account link is going to work. If I rent Portal 2 on PS3, put the disc in to have it appear on my played games list, and link my PSN and Steam accounts, do I just get a free copy of Portal 2 for PC? It can't be that easy. It HAS to come with a one-time use code too, there's no way. I guess we're going to have to wait and see how this thing works.

Deal or not I cannot buy this until I know for certain Steam cannot infect my PS3. That's pretty much the biggest hurdle.

[quote name='LottaGames']Deal or not I cannot buy this until I know for certain Steam cannot infect my PS3. That's pretty much the biggest hurdle.[/QUOTE]

you don't like good online gaming services?

[quote name='ssjmichael']This is Cheapassgamer.com last I checked. Maybe I'm just more of a CAG than you are. You know, you could actually spin many comments here where people say "too much" "$20 or less" and so forth into your "sense of entitlement" category. I bet you said something along those lines at least once too. I'm almost certain that you have certain expectations when it comes to amazon's service. That could be considered a sense of entitlement too.[/QUOTE]

I agree with ssjmike. Of course I don't buy any game for more than 20 dollars. Well I did break my rule once and bought alan wake collectors edition last year from amazon for 29.99. Even withy that I had to think about it a while and convince myself since I don't usually care about the extra shit.

amazon pre-order incentives are becoming less and less... which means i will gladly wait until the $20 range

[quote name='mokmoof']So the $5 gift card seems to have disappeared. Did anyone get a screen grab?[/QUOTE]

Same, now it just says "$5 off the preorder price." Poop.

Heh, didn't they want to originally make PS3 games a 1-time use thing somehow? Maybe they're kicking that into full gear starting with Portal 2!

[quote name='lilman']What does "sniffed" mean when used as a noun?

The original Portal was not a full price game (it was either bundled or cheap standalone through Steam). I think the idea with making it a full price title is that its content will increase accordingly. If Portal 2 ends up being just as short then yes it would be overpriced.[/QUOTE]

My question is, does the Portal concept really work in a "full length" game? To me, Portal 1 was just the right length. Any longer and I think it would have worn out it's welcome. At it's core it's a puzzle game, and to my mind puzzle games don't usually work when they are epic in length. Of course I would love to be proven wrong. Until then, though, I'm waiting for this to drop to $20.

I went ahead and called Amazon. They said I was right that the $5 credit was a separate promotion, and that my pre-order was entitled to it. They knocked an additional $5 (or actually, $4.99 for some reason) off the order.

bread's done
Back