(DEAD)PS2 console $109 @ Wal-Mart.com

Nice. I just got rid of mine like 2 months ago. If I didn't just get rid of mine I would definitely be buying this thing. Alot of the games just went greatest hits too? Tempting...

[quote name='nintendokid']Is this universal? Or soon-to-be?[/quote]

So far, I have only seen the $109 price at Walmart.com

[quote name='kevzik']Hmmm, I do have the older style one...maybe I can PM @ CC[/quote]

I'm sure that CC will price match from walmart.com, as I have done it before for games.

I would get it even though i have a fat ps2 but i barely play it anymore so i will save my money for the wii and ps3. I only play my psp and 360 now. Last game i had for ps2 was Kingdom Hearts 2

This is great, I called Circuit City today and they said they'd price match it. So I'm picking mine up tomorrow.

Is this a permanent WalMart.com price, or just temporary?

I'm thinking about picking mine up soon. Maybe next week. I hope that price still remains. I printed out the first page off the PS2 off walmart.com and will take it with me into the store. How will you do it?

FYE, Sam Goody, Wherehouse, etc. have had a $30 rebate on a new slim PS2 for weeks, and AFAIK it's still going on. That makes it $100 after rebates and seems a little better than Walmart's price unless you don't trust the rebates. I got my PS2 because I had a TWEC gift card.

The Walmart one is also a slim SCPH-75001 which has USB and a few game compatibility problems, but given the choice between a beaten-up older model for no warranty for $90 or a brand new model with compatibility problems for $100 with a 1 year warranty, I chose the latter.

If it drops below 100 I might get one but I wouldnt play the one I have now if it wasnt for the grand theft auto's.

[quote name='stevez0r']Is there any bundles available?[/quote]

They have a "Special Buy" bundle thats pretty tempting which consists of:

PS2 console
one extra SONY PS2 controller
SONY memory card 2 pack
your choice of a game: Kingdom Hearts II or Godfather Collectors Edition at no extra charge for a total of $199.00

There are other optional choices of misc. games you can choose from instead of Godfather or KH II at an additional $4.00 cost or Guitar Hero Bundle for an additional $24.00

They have some other bundles available, but are not as good as this one IMO

I wouldn't sneeze on that bundle. Sounds quite nice. KH2 can bite me though, but Godfather CE or GH would not be a bad grab.

[quote name='tmaynard']This is great, I called Circuit City today and they said they'd price match it. So I'm picking mine up tomorrow.

Is this a permanent WalMart.com price, or just temporary?[/quote]

I went down to my local CC today with a printout of it and I couldn't get a PM because the price pulled up as $129 when you don't go through the link from the OP... What should I do...?

[quote name='nickelpin']On that note, why does it pull up as $129 when I'm searching from the Walmart website as opposed to the $109 on the link?[/QUOTE]
I did a search for 'Playstation 2', and got two different listings for the console in question, one at $109 and the other at $129. Other than the product number and verbose description, though, the feature list is exactly the same.

Why get an $89 Gamecube when Wii is coming soon and will probably be $199. Wii will be backwards compatible with Gamecube. There's no way I'm buying a PS3 anytime soon.

[quote name='nickelpin']On that note, why does it pull up as $129 when I'm searching from the Walmart website as opposed to the $109 on the link?[/quote]

It shows both prices, $129 and $109 on the Wal-mart website. I don't have a clue why. I ordered one online direct from walmart.com and got it for the $109 price. I had to pay $7. 00 shipping (it has shipped UPS today) , but that's OK as I didn't need to hassle the traffic and wasted gas to go get it.

[quote name='kojubat']I did a search for 'Playstation 2', and got two different listings for the console in question, one at $109 and the other at $129. Other than the product number and verbose description, though, the feature list is exactly the same.[/quote]
Does the existence of the $129 entry invalidate a PM?
This jerk at the register was making up this excuse that because the "Dallas Fort Worth" mention on the listing was there, it automatically made it invalid for a PM since the competitor had to be local within x amount of miles. (To which I didn't know what to say - I mean, there's a walmart right there in every town)

I told him I'd been able to get it into my cart online, to which he said: "Go buy it at Walmart then."

Hello, customer service!

Retailers hate the PM. I've found that the universal policy for PMing is to not PM. They'll do it for a couple bucks difference on small stuff like dvds and cds, but for big stuff they'll come up with any excuse possible to not PM. I've completely given up on trying to PM anything. It's always a fight.

This is nice to see a PS2 price break though! Very tempting but I think I'm going to wait until the PS3 comes out to pick up a PS2. Hopefully by the end of the year people and retailers will be practically giving PS2s away. I don't know how I went this long without buying either playstation but I might as well hold out just a little longer.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']Retailers hate the PM. I've found that the universal policy for PMing is to not PM. They'll do it for a couple bucks difference on small stuff like dvds and cds, but for big stuff they'll come up with any excuse possible to not PM. I've completely given up on trying to PM anything. It's always a fight.

This is nice to see a PS2 price break though! Very tempting but I think I'm going to wait until the PS3 comes out to pick up a PS2. Hopefully by the end of the year people and retailers will be practically giving PS2s away. I don't know how I went this long without buying either playstation but I might as well hold out just a little longer.[/quote]

I didn't want to wait any longer, as my old fat PS2 is begining to show signs of failing (DRE) and SONY may do the same thing Microsoft did with the Xbox...try and find a new regular Xbox now.....when the first 360's came out the price of the old Xbox actually went up before they discontinued them all together. I have too many unplayed PS2 games in my collection to have to spend the $600 bucks SONY is going to charge just to play them on the PS3, not to mention the $70 to $90 they will charge for the PS3 games. My next console purchase will be a 360 for sure, as soon as the price comes down a little more. To Hell with the PS3!! Too pricey for me!

Certain movies have never worked in my old fat PS2 and 20 minutes ago i was playing a game and it randomly froze up so I got pissed and put in a movie to play and the entire unit was rumbling around like it was on crack for some reason so I think It's time to get a slim.

I just got back from Best Buy. I had no problems getting them to PM Wal Mart print-out. I went ahead and got the 2 year product replacement plan for $19.99. Bascially came to the same price as the PS2 anywhere else $109+$19.99=$128.99 but I get a 2 year warranty. I can take the PS2 back for any reason over the next 2 years and get my $109+tax back and apply toward a PS3. Not a bad deal since I've decided to wait on the PS3 and let them work the bugs out and if the price comes down in the mean time all the better. I have the following games that I currently own that I haven't even played yet: PS2 (KH2, God of War, etc.) and 360 (Prey, Oblivion, Tomb Raider, etc.) - I have plenty to keep me busy.

[quote name='FSUEagles']I just got back from Best Buy. I had no problems getting them to PM Wal Mart print-out. I went ahead and got the 2 year product replacement plan for $19.99. Bascially came to the same price as the PS2 anywhere else $109+$19.99=$128.99 but I get a 2 year warranty. I can take the PS2 back for any reason over the next 2 years and get my $109+tax back and apply toward a PS3. Not a bad deal since I've decided to wait on the PS3 and let them work the bugs out and if the price comes down in the mean time all the better. I have the following games that I currently own that I haven't even played yet: PS2 (KH2, God of War, etc.) and 360 (Prey, Oblivion, Tomb Raider, etc.) - I have plenty to keep me busy.[/quote]

BRAVO! :applause: That was good thinking! Now I wish I had gotten up off my dead ass and had gone to BestBuy and gotten a PM and warranty. Getting the extra warranty to cover it for a little longer may pan out, as I've heard the slim PS2 has a reputation of dying quickly due to overheating.

I went to Circuit City yesturday to try the price match, and everything was going well (after fighting with them) until I tried to use my mother's credit card. Disaster. They constantly tried to find reasons to not let me get the price match.

They were very rude about the whole process. Completely worthless.

So I just ordered one from WalMart.com. I noticed the 2 different prices aswell, I guess it's just something they looked over because they are identical ps2's...as far as I know.

I'm so pissed at Circuit City though. One of my video cards just died, so it's time to go buy another of the same card and return my fried one in the box.

Free video cards on Circuit City!!

[quote name='tmaynard']I went to Circuit City yesturday to try the price match, and everything was going well (after fighting with them) until I tried to use my mother's credit card. Disaster. They constantly tried to find reasons to not let me get the price match.

So I just ordered one from WalMart.com. I noticed the 2 different prices aswell, I guess it's just something they looked over because they are identical ps2's...as far as I know.

I'm so pissed at Circuit City though. One of my video cards just died, so it's time to go buy another of the same card and return my fried one in the box.

Free video cards on Circuit City!![/QUOTE]

How can you even be proud of that? Do you know how frustrating it is to buy a clearance or open box video card or even a NEW video card and get a dead card or a different card altogether?!?! Seriously, I buy a new in box card at a retail store just to make sure I don't get an OEM or a refurb and people like you totally turn what should be an hour long process [buying the card, installing the card] into a two day ordeal.

Shit. Bought a used one from EB (w/ war.) for the same price, not too long ago.

Well, at least, longer than the return policy allows.

[quote name='tmaynard']I went to Circuit City yesturday to try the price match, and everything was going well (after fighting with them) until I tried to use my mother's credit card. Disaster. They constantly tried to find reasons to not let me get the price match.

Free video cards on Circuit City!![/QUOTE]

Wow, great maturity.

One of the things people need to remember is that many companies consider items online entirely different than items in their store. And even some companies consider their online presence entire different entity from their retail store. I'm not saying that it's right, but if that's their policy, than that's their policy. Remember, you don't have to shop there.

Ohh and btw, a store can refuse to take your mother's credit card since the card is not in your name nor is your signature on the back of it. They can quite easily claim that you could be trying to fraud them.

Went to another CC (in Tustin) and PM'ed with just the Walmart printout (showing url and date) and this time, not only was the store clerk very nice about it, but the store manager PM'ed me with no hassle. Compared to the attitude and lecture the store clerk gave me at Newport, this was so much more pleasant. $116 out the door

It's an ultra YMMV on this one. Choose your CC wisely!

[quote name='eaglebeak']I didn't want to wait any longer, as my old fat PS2 is begining to show signs of failing (DRE) and SONY may do the same thing Microsoft did with the Xbox...try and find a new regular Xbox now.....when the first 360's came out the price of the old Xbox actually went up before they discontinued them all together. I have too many unplayed PS2 games in my collection to have to spend the $600 bucks SONY is going to charge just to play them on the PS3, not to mention the $70 to $90 they will charge for the PS3 games. My next console purchase will be a 360 for sure, as soon as the price comes down a little more. To Hell with the PS3!! Too pricey for me![/quote]

yeah that's a good point. 360 really didn't effect the xbox 1 price very much. I was thinking hoping that the ps2 will be a different story though because a) the PS3 is completely backwards compatible and b) it has less value as a hack box. Then again not that many people are going to have and even want a PS3 at the end of the year, and the PS2 will probably continue it's lifespan for years as opposed to the xbox 1 which promptly died after the 360 arrived. $109 isn't bad. Maybe I should stop depriving myself of the dozens of Japanese games I've been wanting to play.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']yeah that's a good point. 360 really didn't effect the xbox 1 price very much. I was thinking hoping that the ps2 will be a different story though because a) the PS3 is completely backwards compatible and b) it has less value as a hack box. Then again not that many people are going to have and even want a PS3 at the end of the year, and the PS2 will probably continue it's lifespan for years as opposed to the xbox 1 which promptly died after the 360 arrived. $109 isn't bad. Maybe I should stop depriving myself of the dozens of Japanese games I've been wanting to play.[/quote]

I bought my XBox 1 when the price had bottomed out @ $149 just before the 360 launched. At that time they were giving some extras with it, (I got an additional conroller free). Then the price shot up to $179 and it was only available as a bundle with a cheap PH game like Forza. The 360 is getting better at being BC, as they just added more to the list of games in June, like DOOM 3 and a few more.

I already picked up a PS2 from the Wal-mart deal @ the $109 price and if it stays that low for awhile, I just may pick up another one around PS3 launch time and put it away, just in case they discontinue it early. I'll be set for at least long enough to see if the PS3 will sink or swim. They have to lower the price of it a LOT before I can justify buying one.

I bought it, It came.....it didn't work....now I will attempt to exchange it at a walmart store....wish me luck..

[quote name='jedirabiz']I bought it, It came.....it didn't work....now I will attempt to exchange it at a walmart store....wish me luck..[/quote]

Walmart return/exchange is superb, no luck needed.

[quote name='eaglebeak']It shows both prices, $129 and $109 on the Wal-mart website. I don't have a clue why. I ordered one online direct from walmart.com and got it for the $109 price.[/QUOTE]

how is that? how did you find both of the prices on the website?

bread's done
Back