dead PS3 - debating what to do...

timropp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
So my PS3 (80gb, no BC version) now has the YLoD. It had given me red error screens a few times, but always worked after I left it alone for a while / restarted it a few times. Now it's just dead.

I opened it up and tried the reflow (borrowed a heat gun from work). Didn't fix it. Not sure if I didn't reflow it long enough or if it's not that problem...

So, what'cha all recommend I do now? I'm not in a huge hurry to get a working machine - I have 3 kids, a job, a biz of my own, and pc games to play (currently working through Just Cause 2 and Split/Second). One thought I had was just wait till the holidays and see what I can get at black friday... On the other hand, this is our only BR player. We don't actually use it that much though - I have all our movies stored on a server and watch via HTPC, so it's only used the few times we rent something.

So I see my options as:
Get it fixed (50-75 from various places online, may or may not work)
Sell it and replace it (looks like it'll sell for ~75 on ebay, or trade in to gamestop for about $65 I think)
Try fixing it myself again...

Is there any way to check if the PSU is bad? I've heard that's the other cause of YLoD, but didn't know what to test. I can easily open it back up and put some leads on the output from the PSU...

Any ideas I've missed here?

If I do replace it, can I get my saved games off the HD? I don't have downloaded stuff on there that I care about, but saves would be nice to retrieve.

{Power supply might be the trick if reflow failed, but at this point your sys and saves might be lost} if you pay for a repair it will just die again send it back to SONY for the replacement slim program

[quote name='apocrypha']{Power supply might be the trick if reflow failed, but at this point your sys and saves might be lost} if you pay for a repair it will just die again send it back to SONY for the replacement slim program[/QUOTE]

hes right when mine died from the info i got on fixing it power supplies dying is one of the cuses of ylod but not the bigest one. you can buy power supplies online and hopefully that will work. how long did you reflow it and what temp was the heat gun at when you used it?

I dont know if it has the same power supply as the Slim but my slim just has what looks like a normal computer type connector so you might could find one fairly cheap ;)

chewbacca - I think you're talking just about the power cord. The PSU is internal and converts the power. It does NOT have a standard connector.

apocrypha - don't really wanna pay $150 to sony. Plus I've opened it now, so would they even do it?

lokizz - my heat gun doesn't have a temp display, but the air coming out was too hot to put your hand in. It's a lab heat gun for heating glassware and such. I think I reflowed for 30 sec or so on each chip (cpu and gpu, plus a couple smaller ones nearby I gave a little less).

[quote name='timropp']chewbacca - I think you're talking just about the power cord. The PSU is internal and converts the power. It does NOT have a standard connector.

apocrypha - don't really wanna pay $150 to sony. Plus I've opened it now, so would they even do it?

lokizz - my heat gun doesn't have a temp display, but the air coming out was too hot to put your hand in. It's a lab heat gun for heating glassware and such. I think I reflowed for 30 sec or so on each chip (cpu and gpu, plus a couple smaller ones nearby I gave a little less).[/QUOTE]

could be you didnt reflow long enough. the video i used when i needed to fix mine the guy said you should do it with a heat gun at 500 degress. ill add the links to this post so you can see what he did also be sure to use good quality thermal compound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr1zyAGwnuU&feature=related

Get it fixed online, I got mine fixed for $65? and they guy said if he couldn't fix it I would get a refund, and I got a 180 day warranty. I snagged my data off it and sold it on CL and bought a new one

View as a Web page | Add [email protected] to your address book
PROTECT YOUR SYSTEM | PLAYSTATION PROTECTION PLAN | SIMPLE, COST-EFFECTIVE, COMPREHENSIVE
Learn More >
PLAYSTATION® PROTECTION EXTENDED SERVICE PLANS NOW AVAILABLE
BENEFITS:
- Official PlayStation parts, technicians and Service Centers
- All shipping, packaging, parts and labor included
- Dedicated 800 support number
- No hidden fees or deductibles
PRICING:
- PS3™ – 1-year extension ($44.99) or 2-year extension ($59.99)
- PSP® – 1-year extension ($29.99) or 2-year extension ($39.99)
- PSP Accidental Damage – 1-year ($39.99) or 2-year ($49.99)
ENSURE PEACE OF MIND FOR YOUR PLAYSTATION PRODUCTS.
CALL US AT: 1-866-716-7669 Learn More >
PlayStation® PlayStation® PlayStation®Network

To ensure ongoing receipt of these emails, please add our "From" address to your address book:
[email protected]

UNSUBSCRIBE
You have received this email because you opted to receive correspondence from us.

Please do not respond to this email. This is an automated mailbox.

Unsubscribe from the PlayStation mailing list.

Please note that the unsubscribe process may take up to ten (10) business days to complete. If you receive additional emails within this time period, your request is still being processed. It is not necessary to unsubscribe again. If you continue to receive emails after this period, please contact Consumer Services. For more information on our Privacy Policy, click here.

LEGAL
PS3 and PSP owners take note: The PlayStation Protection Plan is available to PS3 or PSP owners (both the PSP-3000 and PSPgo systems) who are still within their one-year limited manufacturer's warranty. The PSP Accidental Damage Plan must be purchased within the first 30 days of owning a PSP system, and the plan is effective beginning on the purchase date. You can purchase the PlayStation Protection Plan by calling 1-866-716-7669. Additional details are available at http://us.playstation.com/support/protection-plan/index.htm.

"PlayStation" and the "PS" Family logo are registered trademarks and "PS3" and "PlayStation Network" are trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. © 2010 Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC.

Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC, 919 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Foster City, CA 94404

In Florida the Obligor is United Service Protection Inc.
In Texas the Obligor is Federal Warranty Service Corporation

Hm... if I get a chance I'll try to reflow it again this weekend. If I get it working, I'll probably just use it lightly until a new deal comes along and then GS trade it in.

This is only if you have bought within the last 12 months right?
That's what I got from reading the FAQ.

[quote name='starmask2k3']View as a Web page | Add [email protected] to your address book
PROTECT YOUR SYSTEM | PLAYSTATION PROTECTION PLAN | SIMPLE, COST-EFFECTIVE, COMPREHENSIVE
Learn More >
PLAYSTATION® PROTECTION EXTENDED SERVICE PLANS NOW AVAILABLE
BENEFITS:
- Official PlayStation parts, technicians and Service Centers
- All shipping, packaging, parts and labor included
- Dedicated 800 support number
- No hidden fees or deductibles
PRICING:
- PS3™ – 1-year extension ($44.99) or 2-year extension ($59.99)
- PSP® – 1-year extension ($29.99) or 2-year extension ($39.99)
- PSP Accidental Damage – 1-year ($39.99) or 2-year ($49.99)
ENSURE PEACE OF MIND FOR YOUR PLAYSTATION PRODUCTS.
CALL US AT: 1-866-716-7669 Learn More >
PlayStation® PlayStation® PlayStation®Network

To ensure ongoing receipt of these emails, please add our "From" address to your address book:
[email protected]

UNSUBSCRIBE
You have received this email because you opted to receive correspondence from us.

Please do not respond to this email. This is an automated mailbox.

Unsubscribe from the PlayStation mailing list.

Please note that the unsubscribe process may take up to ten (10) business days to complete. If you receive additional emails within this time period, your request is still being processed. It is not necessary to unsubscribe again. If you continue to receive emails after this period, please contact Consumer Services. For more information on our Privacy Policy, click here.

LEGAL
PS3 and PSP owners take note: The PlayStation Protection Plan is available to PS3 or PSP owners (both the PSP-3000 and PSPgo systems) who are still within their one-year limited manufacturer's warranty. The PSP Accidental Damage Plan must be purchased within the first 30 days of owning a PSP system, and the plan is effective beginning on the purchase date. You can purchase the PlayStation Protection Plan by calling 1-866-716-7669. Additional details are available at http://us.playstation.com/support/protection-plan/index.htm.

"PlayStation" and the "PS" Family logo are registered trademarks and "PS3" and "PlayStation Network" are trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. © 2010 Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC.

Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC, 919 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Foster City, CA 94404

In Florida the Obligor is United Service Protection Inc.
In Texas the Obligor is Federal Warranty Service Corporation[/QUOTE]

Well, tried to reflow again. Still not working. Oh well... current plan is to ebay the thing and then wait till the holidays and get a new one when hopefully there's deals/bundles to be had. It'd be nice to get my saves off, but not worth the money to me.

So, is there anything I need to do before I sell it? Put the HD in my computer and wipe it, etc? I don't think I ever set up any credit cards or anything (never bought anything on PSN) but still...

Found a local shop (husky Games) that does both reflow and reball. Reflow is $50 and reball is $110 for leaded solder.

Thinking about having them try to reflow and if it works, trade in at GS for $200 :) If not, then I'm debating about the reballing.

Any thoughts on that? Their reball service has a 5 year warranty, but what are the odds of nothing else dying?

bread's done
Back