[DEAD]Sega Genesis Collection (PS2) for $12.99 @ Amazon

D. Monic

CAGiversary!
Update: back up to $19.99.

I've had this in the "Save for Later" section of my cart for months waiting for a drop from $19.99. Today if finally dropped to $12.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Sega-Of-Ameri..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1209678249&sr=1-1

Games included:
Decap Attack starring Chuck D. Head
Ecco the Dolphin Ecco II - The Tides of Time
Ecco Jr.
Kid Chameleon
Flicky
Gain Ground
Golden Axe I
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III - Generations of Doom
Phantasy Star IV - The End of the Millenium
Ristar
Shadow Dancer - The Secret of Shinobi
Shinobi III - Return of the Ninja Master
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Super Thunder Blade
Sword of Vermilion
Vectorman
Vectorman 2
Virtua Fighter 2

And of course, it's eligible for FSSS.

Another great $12.99 PS2 game at Amazon recently (the other being Twisted Metal: Head On, combine both for free shipping).

I bought this when it first came out mostly to play Gain Ground again, one of my favorite Genesis games. I wasn't disappointed.

If you're buying this specifically for PS IV like I did, be forewarned that menu selection is a bit glitchy if you like to cycle through menus as fast as possible like me. If you press the direction button really quick, say 4 times and press X to select, sometimes the game will think you've only gone three and select the third. It may not be exactly that, but it was something similar, and I remember having to consciously slow down my inputs so the incorrect item wouldn't be picked.

Great emulation and a great price. I got it when it hit $20. Such a better deal than the virtual console. Pays for itself in two games.

Is there any problems on this with a b/c PS3? Really tempted for all the genesis Phanstasy Star games. I paid $83 incl tax for Phanstasy Star II alone back in the day, my mom thought I was insane of course, but it still sits up there amongst my fav rpgs.

[quote name='Kerig']Another great $12.99 PS2 game at Amazon recently (the other being Twisted Metal: Head On, combine both for free shipping).[/quote]
You sir, are correct.

Thanks OP, I bought it recently so I'll ask for a price adjustment.

I've only had a chance to play it a tiny bit on my 60GB PS3. The screen was messed up along the side until I enabled progressive scan, but other than that I didn't encounter any glitches.

[quote name='lurknomore']This is identical to the PSP game of the same name, right?[/QUOTE]
No, the PSP and PS2 versions have different unlockable games/content. Eg, the PS2 version has the arcade version of Altered Beast. Both have the same set of games listed on the back cover. Which you buy will depend on how you prefer to play your games

Honestly though, for $12.99 this game is a huge steal. I have the PSP version, I'm seriously considering this. Sega did something good for a change by including a huge number of games across a number of different genres. And as Wombat is fond of reminding us, buying all these on the VC would cost a fortune.

Fans of classic action, platform, beat-em-up, or especially JRPGs need to pick this up. Ignore everything that Sega has done for the last decade... this is when they were at their peak.

[quote name='franz ferdinand']Ignore everything that Sega has done for the last decade... this is when they were at their peak.[/quote]

Slow your roll! While I agree this is a steal...c'mon...

Jet Set Radio
Crazy Taxi
Shenmue
...I could go on but my dryer just went off. Just look up all Sega made games for the DC and you'll find plenty more. :p

[quote name='lurknomore']This is identical to the PSP game of the same name, right?[/quote]

No it's not. The available games are all the same but there is different unlockable content. I don't remember all the details but on the PSP there is some Jungle Monkey Adventure game that you can unlock after getting a Chaos Emerald in Sonic 1.

They're virtually identical. The extra content on either isn't worth much-just an old arcade game or two.

Personally I'd rather have the Playstation Portable version all things being equal, and it was worth full price for me when it hit. But either is well worth $20. IMO this is probably the best compilation we've ever seen.

Bad thing is I want a volume 2 NOW. And I want it to include at least some of the Streets of Rage games :( Heck, I'd probably pay full price for Streets of Rage by itself. (I HATE that they ripped those out of the Sonic collection from a while back for the spectacularly generic Vectorman games).

[quote name='placebo1']No it's not. The available games are all the same but there is different unlockable content. I don't remember all the details but on the PSP there is some Jungle Monkey Adventure game that you can unlock after getting a Chaos Emerald in Sonic 1.[/QUOTE]

It's Congo Bongo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congo_Bongo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NavrH-w2Tx4
It was Sega's answer to Donkey Kong (there was also a level similar to Frogger), except it was isometric. Crappy controls, but kinda fun. Brings me back to when I had it on the Coleco, or maybe it was Intellivision.

bread's done
Back