Dead Space 3 Demo is out!

Never played the DS series, but I enjoyed the demo a lot. Do I need to play DS 1 or 2 to understand or enjoy 3? I have a big backlog which includes Fallout NV, Xenoblade, Witcher 2, Mafia 2 and BL2 so there is a lot to keep me busy. So if the 1st 2 aren't stellar or mandatory, I would just play 3. Thanks

[quote name='ActionKazimer']I hate to think about it, but unless certain deaths suddenly stop feeling random on a future playthrough, I might just take the hit to my dignity and deal with it.

Prolly gonna test the PSN waters with some co-op today since I'm a PS3 pariah. Maybe I'll get lucky and find some decent partners. Anyone know if you get to choose whether you'll play as Isaac or Carver?

For anyone who's beaten the game:

Anyone else a little bothered that it was just Mass Effect? Necros building a Reaper moon out of each harvested race had everyone in my living room just kinda squinting at each other. Isaac's flashback after reassembling Rosetta was pretty much touching a Prothean beacon. Unearthing the last race to fall victim on their home planet; there were just a ton of parallels.

I should backpedal. For whatever reason, I wasn't actually super bothered by it, but that might just be my supernatural love for the franchise. I might be an apologist. Or indoctrinated...by a Marker. I dunno. Maybe something in co-op will flesh things out for me. All I know is that I was the only one in the room grinning like an idiot at the end of the game. I still loved it.
[/QUOTE]

Cerberus was obviously a branch of Unitology :lol:

[quote name='tukai']So if the 1st 2 aren't stellar or mandatory, I would just play 3. Thanks[/QUOTE]
There's no reason to do this. The first two games ARE stellar. Nothing the newer games do make the previous ones feel obsolete or old (this isn't Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2). And honestly, all three are great but if you only want to play one of them for whatever reason, Dead Space 1 is the best.

Dead Space 1 & 2 are fantastic. If anything, 3 falls short of 1 & 2's greatness. Don't skip the first two, just to play 3. No matter the reason.

[quote name='ActionKazimer']
Prolly gonna test the PSN waters with some co-op today since I'm a PS3 pariah. Maybe I'll get lucky and find some decent partners. Anyone know if you get to choose whether you'll play as Isaac or Carver?
[/QUOTE]

Host plays as Isaac and the person who joins is Carver.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Awakened DLC adds 8 achievements and 250 GS.[/QUOTE]

Secret ones are hopefully story related. If so, looks like a easy 250.

Overall this game is pretty easy so far to hit 1000, just a matter of beating the games multiple times.

Though I see no way of doing Hardcore legit, too many moments where you can easily die. Would require a back up save via USB.

I was worried about not having a partner for the co-op achievements this game beautifully adds a choose a chapter/difficulty search.

I'm playing on Hard; when does it actually become Hard? I'm at the start of chapter 4 and have had a completely full inventory basically since the Marker reveal in Chapter 1. And I mean like 15 health packs and 200+ rounds of omni-ammo full. Only one combat death from not noticing a necromorph running up behind me.

That's one thing that sucks about this game is the over abundance of items. Pure survival tries to curb that but with the ability to make your own items it almost doesn't matter.

Countless times I had to enter my bench just to deposit ammo or health packs just to make room for a weapon part.

[quote name='Pirate331']I'm playing on Hard; when does it actually become Hard? I'm at the start of chapter 4 and have had a completely full inventory basically since the Marker reveal in Chapter 1. And I mean like 15 health packs and 200+ rounds of omni-ammo full. Only one combat death from not noticing a necromorph running up behind me.[/QUOTE]

It's not really going to get hard at all with the overabundance of resources. You probably will die once or twice from those 1 hit kill moments and that's about it. I had to switch over to impossible and that was okay I guess

I'd consider it in the near future. My usual co-op partner for everything hasn't even played DS1, so I doubt he'll be getting into DS3 any time soon. I'm just starting chapter 9, and I think I want to finish the campaign before doing co-op.

Anyone else think it makes no sense that Isaac's suit can keep him toasty warm IN FREAKING SPACE, but when his helmet won't close on Tau Voltanis he freezes to death in minutes?

[quote name='Pirate331']I'd consider it in the near future. My usual co-op partner for everything hasn't even played DS1, so I doubt he'll be getting into DS3 any time soon. I'm just starting chapter 9, and I think I want to finish the campaign before doing co-op.

Anyone else think it makes no sense that Isaac's suit can keep him toasty warm IN FREAKING SPACE, but when his helmet won't close on Tau Voltanis he freezes to death in minutes?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure he's used to it by now. Remember in DS2 how his helmet kept opening at the WORST moments?

In Dead Space 2, the Hacker suit was unlocked by completing the Dead Space Ignition mini-games.

The Hacker suit had half of Isaac's head exposed in Space [along with his ears & neck as well]. Now that was a big leap of nonsense.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Dead Space 4 cancelled, series is essentially dead.

:([/QUOTE]

Further proof EA is the leading the forefront on what's ruining the industry today. I'm one more monumental f*ck up away from putting them on the auto-ignore list along with Epic and BioWare at this point.

btw future developers if you're a survival horror game don't go action game it seems to kill your franchise...

[quote name='GUNNM']I'm saddened that DS 3 had poor sales its a great game maybe not as good as 2[/QUOTE]
Significantly fewer instances of pant shitting, but much more enjoyable, and realistic, reactions to necromorphs by non-unitologist characters (Norton's last words? Hilarious).

Anyone notice how all of the humanoid necromorphs are clearly wearing clothes now? Was 90% of the crew on the Ishimura, and the population on Aegis VII naked when they died?

[quote name='Pirate331']Significantly fewer instances of pant shitting, but much more enjoyable, and realistic, reactions to necromorphs by non-unitologist characters (Norton's last words? Hilarious).

Anyone notice how all of the humanoid necromorphs are clearly wearing clothes now? Was 90% of the crew on the Ishimura, and the population on Aegis VII naked when they died?[/QUOTE]

To me It's still DS1>DS2>DS3. I enjoyed the first DS1 a lot more but mainly because that's where it had the most scary parts, necromorphs were still new to us (imho the newer necromorphs don't scare me, I wish they made some adjustments and put in some more badass necromorphs) so It's hard to replicate. Not sure what my favorite chapter is yet, the first chapter in DS2 is just so damn good being in that straight jacket with no weapons lol.

Yeah I noticed the less nakedness to. Miss that necromorph ass ;)

Hope this DLC is enjoyable tomorrow. I just re-played the DS2 Severed DLC on Zealot and it took just over an hour and that was what, $8? I'm hoping this is at worst 2 hours.

I enjoyed the DLC.

With that said, $10 is rather steep for an hour and a half more of DS3. Got all the achievements with ease except pure survival which we'll save for later unless anyone has some good tips.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I enjoyed the DLC.

With that said, $10 is rather steep for an hour and a half more of DS3. Got all the achievements with ease except pure survival which we'll save for later unless anyone has some good tips.[/QUOTE]
Man... that's shorter than Severed.

bread's done
Back