Dead Space - Gen. Discussion & Info

I played about an hour last night. It's pretty cool so far. It's not as scary as RE was though. Definitely creepy. Anyone know if it counts towards an achievement if you cut off a limb after the zombie thing is dead? 1,000 seems like a lot but I just started and I already have at least 20 so maybe not...

[quote name='javeryh']I played about an hour last night. It's pretty cool so far. It's not as scary as RE was though. Definitely creepy. Anyone know if it counts towards an achievement if you cut off a limb after the zombie thing is dead? 1,000 seems like a lot but I just started and I already have at least 20 so maybe not...[/quote]

I do believe that cutting limbs off corpses, be they Necromorphs or just regular humans, will count. Also, you don't have to get the 1000 in a one playthrough. You can get it in the new game+. I don't know if you can get it if you start a brand new game on a different difficulty, though.

Here's a Tip to getting that 1000 limbs achievement, I got the 500 Limbs achievement towards the end of chapter 6. so I'm probably gonna be seeing just as much limbs, if not more further on.

Also, stomping the limbs off of dead bodies, ones on the floor and recently killed necromorphs DO COUNT!, so stomp away at every body you see, that's at least 5 limbs each body, including head arms and legs (if attached).

The Force Gun and Contact Beam, almost completely destroy a body (all limbs blown off) in one or two hits, at least once fully Upgraded.

Also, some cheats...However they can only be used ONCE and ONCE only, they dont affect any achievements or gameplay. and Once you enter them, thats it, no more.

The ReFill stasis and Oxygen works Infinite times however, so use em whenever.

Enter Codes at the paused game screen, you'll hear a confirmation.
X(3), Y, X.----+1,000 credits
X, Y(3), X(2), Y----.+10,000 credits
Y, X(3), Y.----+2 Nodes
X(3), Y(2).----+2,000 credits
X(3), Y, X, Y.----+5,000 credits
X,X,Y,Y,Y----Refill you Oxygen
X,Y,Y,X,Y----Refill your Stasis and Kinesis energy

[quote name='SteveGo']ouch, RROD baby, enjoy[/quote]

Sigh...I guess my PS3 will be getting a workout soon then.

This game is so good, best sci-fi shooter this year for me. But Gears and Fallout are to come. Still I've been enjoying the crap out of this. I can only hope RE5 is this good.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Love the game, hate shooting those motherfucking asteroids[/quote]

I had my lightning quick son do it for me. So will there be more, I just cleared level 4?

[quote name='cerial442']Has anyone experienced freezing problems with this game? I'm only on the second level but my copy has froze about 5 times. It always happens in different places too.[/quote]

Nope, only time I had freezing on games my 360 died.

[quote name='GaryZero']I had my lightning quick son do it for me. So will there be more, I just cleared level 4?[/quote]

No more asteroid shooting, but there is another sequence similar to it. It's much, much, much easier, though. On hard, the asteroid sequence killed me once, and I barely beat it the second time. This other sequence, it was so easy, I beat it the first time and finished with over 50% hull integrity, earning the secret achievement. I am not looking forward to trying to get the achievement for the asteroid level, though.

EDIT: So, I actually got the "Don't get cocky, kid" achievement after a handful of tries. I can confirm something that I thought was true, and that is that the asteroids are generated randomly, so if you don't quite get it at first, don't fret. You might just get an easy map. I did not come close to 50% on the first few tries, but I got like 70% without any problems. At one point toward the end, there were barely any asteroids coming, and the entire time, I only saw a couple of the bigger ones that do massive damager and break apart when shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually a bit underwhelmed by this game. I was really looking forward to it, but now that I've rented it and beat the first 4 chapters I'd give it a 7/10.

The main problem I have with it is that it's soooo repetitive. The level design is mostly rather bland with a lot of samey corridors all throughout, and there's a serious lack of enemy variety. The missions to are horribly generic and bland. Also it's not scary... at all. And I'm not one to brag about not being scared by games. I thought Bioshock was scary. I thought Silent Hill 5 was scary. Even RE4 had its moments. But Dead Space seems to be closer to something like Doom 3. It's horror themed, but not actually frightening. Possibly because the enemy placement is very predictable.

The core action is still fun and I like the tough decisions when it comes to leveling up your guy, but otherwise it's a pretty generic shooter with pretty graphics, but not much else. I still have two-thirds of the game left, so maybe it'll get better.

The level design is mostly rather bland with a lot of samey corridors all throughout

Well, in all fairness, it is a space vessel. One would expect a bunch of corridors that do look exactly the same. Some of the main areas, though, in my opinion, have nice art direction, especially the bridge, with all of the asteroids passing by.

Anyway, I think your other points are pretty valid criticisms of this game.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Well, in all fairness, it is a space vessel. One would expect a bunch of corridors that do look exactly the same. Some of the main areas, though, in my opinion, have nice art direction, especially the bridge, with all of the asteroids passing by.

Anyway, I think your other points are pretty valid criticisms of this game.[/QUOTE]

There were a few other nifty areas, like some room where everything is blowing really hard, and the Zero-G hallway leading up to the asteroid defense part (which I hated, btw).

I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what it is about the aesthetic that looks bland and how they could have improved it, but looking at the concept art from the main menu, it looks like they did set out with a more unique look and couldn't quite pull it off. A lot of the concept art had the ship flying around bright red and orange nebulae, and the ship design itself was great. I think having more windows showing the vastness of the ship and some interesting space backgrounds could have helped a bit. Too much of the game looks too much like Doom and I was hoping it would look more like Sunshine or even Alien. Maybe it'll improve later if there's an Aliensque hive of some kind. Time will tell.

The medical lab is the closest locale I've found so far to Sunshine and Alien, and really only because it's the brightest lighting in a room so far, nothing more.

I'm only up to chapter
7 and I find the doctor to be extremely similar to Pinbacker from Sunshine(the crazy murderer guy)

Is this game supposed to get a demo out soon? I thought Bioshock proved that games could be really successful if it was of high quality with the right marketing, which is something Wombat talked about on the CAGcast this past week. I'm interested in the game due to all of the reviews, just as I was with Bioshock and Braid, but those games had demos that represented the games well, so that I knew it was the kind of game that I wanted to play. Now it's too late for me to buy it, since Fable 2 comes out in 2 days, and all of my time is going towards that. Maybe I'll try and rent this game later, because it looks great.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']The developers have said that there will be no demo.[/quote]

That's unfortunate. I really want more people to have access to this, so it can be a very large financial success. I want a sequel to be a foregone conclusion, no matter what. Wouldn't mind a prequel, either.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']The developers have said that there will be no demo.[/quote]

I don't understand why a company would not want to put a demo out for consumers to play. From a marketing perspective, it seems that it would give a nudge to those people on the fence about whether or not they want to buy the game. After playing the demo for Bioshock, I knew I had to have that game. It gives you a little taste and if you like it enough, you will want more.

The only reason I could think of that a company would not put out a demo (other than time) is because they were afraid gamers would not like it and therefore not buy the game. But if a developer is afraid of that, they probably should not have made the game in the first place.

Anyways, back on topic. I really want to get Dead Space. Though, $60 is steep for me right now. But this emphasizes my point, if I could play a demo, I might be willing to shell out $60.

[quote name='electronicthroat']I don't understand why a company would not want to put a demo out for consumers to play. From a marketing perspective, it seems that it would give a nudge to those people on the fence about whether or not they want to buy the game. After playing the demo for Bioshock, I knew I had to have that game. It gives you a little taste and if you like it enough, you will want more.

The only reason I could think of that a company would not put out a demo (other than time) is because they were afraid gamers would not like it and therefore not buy the game. But if a developer is afraid of that, they probably should not have made the game in the first place.
[/QUOTE]

Wanting to do a demo and having the resources to do it are two entirely different things. Most developers are working for a publisher. They are on a very tight and regimented schedule. Time is money and that money is coming from the publisher so the publisher gets to dictate what their time is spent on.

I have worked on games that have made demos. And when we make demos it takes almost the entire team off of the game for a month (tons of QA and a separate certification process). That either pushes your launch a month or, like in our case, you have to cut features from the game to make your launch date. I ended up resenting demos a lot because our games suffered for it when we made them.

For example, I would say that about 1/8th of dev time in an XBLA or wiiware title is spent on just polishing, testing, and creating the trial version.

There is always the option of making the demo after your game releases. This is better. But still, someone has to foot the bill to do so, and usually by that time, your team is on another project or the publisher has stopped paying and it's time to wait for royalties.

Demos are not just a "oh you know we should do a demo! Carl, go ahead and cut out level 2 and slap it together for a demo by tomorrow". It's a much more involved and costly process.

Edit: And the icing on this cake I just baked for you is that statistically, from a marketing point of view, it isn't that smart to do a demo. Demos that push people over the edge to buy a game (like your bioshock example) are the exception, not the rule. Usually demos can hurt sales more than help.

Wow this game is getting alot more action here compared to the PS3 board. I assume because we are achievement whores lol. I was stuck with that version thanks to my RROD.

How are the load times after you die? On the PS3 were LONG and punishment like, is it like that on the 360?

Just beat the game, the final boss is very impressive reminds me of the Lost Planet massive boss and that's all i'm gonna say. Dead Space turned out to be better than I expected but it's still just a rental in my eyes. I see no replay value other than your saves for a few spots in the game even though you are urged to play again.

This game is crazy fun. As a huge space horror nut who will actually watch Event Horizon randomly for fun, this game was MADE for me, but it could use a little more suspense, for my money. That doesn't change the fact that I'm LOVING it, though.

http://www.8bithacks.com/2008/10/tale-as-old-as.html

Don't get me wrong, from a story perspective Dead Space is quite derivative and predictable (at least throughout the initial few hours), but in some ways that adds to the fun as opposed to subtracting from it. For Each plot twist that the writers offer up can be seen from a mile away by anyone who has seen Aliens. I'll refrain from going into details on the plot and the twists therein because I hate having stuff spoiled for me, but to me the fact that everything is right out of the formula simply reinforces the idea that it's a tribute to the genre. The resemblance is so strong in parts that it has to be by design. With this in my mind, I'm able to look past any of the flaws in the game and simply enjoy it for what it is, just as I do with the many flawed movies that I consume so readily.

Great game. The comparisons to RE4 are a bit much. The game's not really in that league but still good enough where it HAS to be in a horror gaming fan's collection.

Only thing is I'm not getting the "Silent Hill vibe", which basically means I'm walking into rooms labeled "morgue" and don't have the urge to run out and hide in a closet. Not like in Silent Hill where like in the first game when normal Elementary School turned into Hellraiser Elementary School and I had to pause and really prepare (ie: turning on lights, dialing 91, sitting in the corner of the room with a carving knife within arm's reach) before venturing further.

Goddamn this game is scary, for me at least. I can't handle scary games and this is ridiculous. I turned off the lights, turned up the surround and started playing at around midnight...bad move.

I loved the game a lil too bloody but meh Its not scary for me a couple parts made me jump but I d/l the 360 suit I feel so uber I run everywhere just to get in a fight and the achivements are fun. I can't get enough of kicking babies >_> ill have the achivement for that soon hehe

So, I almost got all the achievements. Still missing three, though: beating it on impossible, beating it with only the plasma cutter, and upgrading all my equipment. I'm kind of annoyed I wasted a lot of my nodes on opening doors in the first playthrough. Some of them had some decent amount of ammo, but some of them weren't that great, and in hindsight, I probably could have done without the ammo, because I usually ended up selling a lot of it back. I've already beaten the game twice, so this one is going to have to wait for 1000.

I just beat the game and it took about 11 hours. I was able to get 630 points my first time through and i'll probably be going back again one more time, not right away though.

Did anyone else think that this game was a little stingy with health and ammo in certain chapters. There were times were I REALLY had to struggle to make it through with the ammo I had. Other than that I really have no complaints about the game and thought it was quite good.

[quote name='Noedskou']I've preordered Dead Space: downfall on amazon. Anyone else lookin' forward to this anime?[/QUOTE]
Yes I definitely will rent it and I think I owe to myself to get a little bit of the back story to this game. I think it will be interesting at the least!

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']So, I almost got all the achievements. Still missing three, though: beating it on impossible, beating it with only the plasma cutter, and upgrading all my equipment. I'm kind of annoyed I wasted a lot of my nodes on opening doors in the first playthrough. Some of them had some decent amount of ammo, but some of them weren't that great, and in hindsight, I probably could have done without the ammo, because I usually ended up selling a lot of it back. I've already beaten the game twice, so this one is going to have to wait for 1000.[/QUOTE]

I think the hardest achievement is going to be upgrading all the equipment. That is at least three play throughs. I was only able to fully upgrade my rig and my Line gun. Then I also threw a few nodes here and there. Just seems like there should be more nodes.

I beat the game a couple days ago and holy shit I really really really fucking love this game.

Say what you will about going around and fixing the ship or how you think the story is bland, I don't care I think that the game is done to perfection—or at least close enough so that if there is a flaw then I will probably look over it because everything else is so good.

I thought the game was quite scary because of the jump at you scares and because of how tense the game is. Dead Space really knows how to create tension and make you uncomfortable.

Oh and on the last boss
when he grabs you by the leg, that was fucking insane. I was hanging there trying to aim upside down and shoot, while he was dragging me ever closer to his mouth. That was intense.

I have no complaints, Dead Space rocks!

[quote name='FrankySox']Yes I definitely will rent it and I think I owe to myself to get a little bit of the back story to this game. I think it will be interesting at the least!

I think the hardest achievement is going to be upgrading all the equipment. That is at least three play throughs. I was only able to fully upgrade my rig and my Line gun. Then I also threw a few nodes here and there. Just seems like there should be more nodes.[/quote]

If you're interested in the back story and haven't already checked it out, make sure you watch the animated comic. You can get all the parts for free off the markerplace or just watch them on YouTube. I preferred the marketplace, simply because they are more fun to watch on the big screen.

And yes, completely upgrading everything is a pain and will take more than two playthroughs, I think. I have beat the game twice already and still have three weapons I need to upgrade. I think even if I didn't waste nodes on my first run through the game, I would still need a handful to finish off everything. I suppose if you are really, really, really good at this and never waste any ammo or health, you might be able to save enough money to buy the nodes, but I don't know. No matter how good you are, I just think you're going to screw up and waste a lot of stuff on that first run. And for anyone wondering, yes, on my second playthrough, I used the codes for extra nodes and still didn't have enough (and no, codes do not disable achievements in this game, if anyone was wondering).

[quote name='Razzuel']Oh and on the last boss
when he grabs you by the leg, that was fucking insane. I was hanging there trying to aim upside down and shoot, while he was dragging me ever closer to his mouth. That was intense.
[/quote]

Yep, the Hive Mind was fantastic, even though it was easy to beat. That part were you are dangling was very dramatic and so was the part were Isaac gets knocked to the ground. I thought I fucked up and was going to die, but then he reaches for the weapon, and I was psyched up.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']If you're interested in the back story and haven't already checked it out, make sure you watch the animated comic. You can get all the parts for free off the markerplace or just watch them on YouTube. I preferred the marketplace, simply because they are more fun to watch on the big screen.

And yes, completely upgrading everything is a pain and will take more than two playthroughs, I think. I have beat the game twice already and still have three weapons I need to upgrade. I think even if I didn't waste nodes on my first run through the game, I would still need a handful to finish off everything. I suppose if you are really, really, really good at this and never waste any ammo or health, you might be able to save enough money to buy the nodes, but I don't know. No matter how good you are, I just think you're going to screw up and waste a lot of stuff on that first run. And for anyone wondering, yes, on my second playthrough, I used the codes for extra nodes and still didn't have enough (and no, codes do not disable achievements in this game, if anyone was wondering).

Yep, the Hive Mind was fantastic, even though it was easy to beat. That part were you are dangling was very dramatic and so was the part were Isaac gets knocked to the ground. I thought I fucked up and was going to die, but then he reaches for the weapon, and I was psyched up.
[/quote]

Last Boss:
Yeah I thought I fucked up when he grabbed me by the leg. I was thinking, oh shit, I am going to get eaten. Yeah he was easy to beat, but I don't really care because I would rather have a fantastic enjoyable last boss than a more difficult boss, which might lead to some frustration. And speaking of frustration, I think this is one of the few games that didn't piss me off at any point during the game.

Oh and about the codes. When it means you can only use them once, does that mean per game. For example let's say I beat the game a second time on medium using the stuff that carried over. I use the cheats on that game. Will the cheats still work if I start a new game on impossible because I have a feeling that is going to be hard?

[quote name='Razzuel']Last Boss:
Yeah I thought I fucked up when he grabbed me by the leg. I was thinking, oh shit, I am going to get eaten. Yeah he was easy to beat, but I don't really care because I would rather have a fantastic enjoyable last boss than a more difficult boss, which might lead to some frustration. And speaking of frustration, I think this is one of the few games that didn't piss me off at any point during the game.
[/quote]

I totally agree. Don't get me wrong...I wasn't knocking the fact that the Hive Mind was easy. It's better than some impossibly hard boss that takes 20 tries to beat, so afterwards, I hate the game. At the very least, it was gigantic.

Oh and about the codes. When it means you can only use them once, does that mean per game. For example let's say I beat the game a second time on medium using the stuff that carried over. I use the cheats on that game. Will the cheats still work if I start a new game on impossible because I have a feeling that is going to be hard?
Unfortunately, you can only use the "one-time only" codes, like for nodes and credits, once per save file. So, yeah, even if you load up that file and start a new game+, you can't use the cheats again. That really disappointed me, because it would have made upgrading these damn things a little easier.

For those that haven't upgraded them already, wait until you see how massively overpowered some of the weapons get. The pulse rifle which, at first, is utterly useless at taking limbs off, becomes an absolute beast. I used it most of the time in my second playthrough.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']
I totally agree. Don't get me wrong...I wasn't knocking the fact that the Hive Mind was easy. It's better than some impossibly hard boss that takes 20 tries to beat, so afterwards, I hate the game. At the very least, it was gigantic.

Unfortunately, you can only use the "one-time only" codes, like for nodes and credits, once per save file. So, yeah, even if you load up that file and start a new game+, you can't use the cheats again. That really disappointed me, because it would have made upgrading these damn things a little easier.

For those that haven't upgraded them already, wait until you see how massively overpowered some of the weapons get. The pulse rifle which, at first, is utterly useless at taking limbs off, becomes an absolute beast. I used it most of the time in my second playthrough.[/quote]

Alright so if I make a new save file for a playthrough on impossible then I can use the codes again even if I already used them on my medium difficulty save file. Awesome.

Oh and there were a few weapons I didn't use on my first playthrough that I am starting to use now on my second playthrough. I just started using the ripper and damn that thing is a monster. I mean, not only does it look graphic, but it sounds graphic as well.

Oh, the flamethrower and the line gun are some of my favorite guns. That doesn't mean the other ones aren't any good because all the weapons in this game are awesome. It's just that this game probably has the best flamethrower than in any other game, I mean the flames look real! Plus it is so cool to shoot this giant wide beam at the necromorphs knees and seeing them fall to the ground. The mine on the line gun also works well if there are necromorphs in groups.

Bah, all the guns are my favorite guns, haha. I mean knocking a necromorph down with the force gun, going up to him real close and pulling the trigger—which blows it into a bunch of pieces—is fucking awesome as well.

My favorite thing about the flamethrower is that you can't use it in a vacuum (no oxygen). It's the little things that really make this game stand out. Oh, and the line gun is simply silly when you upgrade its width! I took out like all six tentacles on two lurkers (the babies) that were right next to each other with one shot.

Man, just finished Chapter 5 and this game is really amazing so far. I expected it to fall in the 'good' category that maybe showed some potential for future releases to be improved (much like I rate Mass Effect), but this game is beyond that stage. It is firmly in my 'great' section and one of the top games I have played this generation.

It is so good that I am actually passing on Fable II for awhile. I may wait and snag that now when I see it a bit cheaper, maybe in the 30-40 range.

I just love the atmosphere and the background story you uncover. Right up there with Bioshock for me.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']My favorite thing about the flamethrower is that you can't use it in a vacuum (no oxygen). It's the little things that really make this game stand out. Oh, and the line gun is simply silly when you upgrade its width! I took out like all six tentacles on two lurkers (the babies) that were right next to each other with one shot.[/quote]

The same here. There is this part in the game where you are in a vacuum—
when the medical bay gets deprived of oxygen
—I had my flamethrower out when I got attacked by some necromorphs. So I try to light them on fire and my flame thrower just keeps clicking. Then a couple seconds later I thought, "NO WAY, there is no oxygen, which means the flamethrower isn't going to light." That attention to detail is really cool, like you said.

Another attention to detail I like is that Isaac starts breathing harder and raspier, the lower your oxygen level is.

Or when you notice Issac's heart beating faster, not even necessarily when you're in combat. The graphics in this game are superb but the sound design is even better.

The sound is superb. My favorite had to be...

...when you first arrive at the crew's quarters, and you're in that lobby with all the dead bodies. You can hear "Twinkle, Twinkle" so very faint in the background, almost like a distant echo. It's downright fucking disturbing.

Another thing I keep talking about with my friends is the handful of survivors you encounter. How disturbing...

...like the woman in the medical bay, who is rubbing the bloody, mutilated torso...or the woman who is sawing that guy and then slits her own throat...

The voice actors also did a great job. It never feels like they are phoning it in. Even the audio and video logs are well-done and well-written. They really made me feel terrible when...

...you actually catch up with Temple (and maybe Cross?), only to see him murdered by Mercer.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']The sound is superb. My favorite had to be...

...when you first arrive at the crew's quarters, and you're in that lobby with all the dead bodies. You can hear "Twinkle, Twinkle" so very faint in the background, almost like a distant echo. It's downright fucking disturbing.

Another thing I keep talking about with my friends is the handful of survivors you encounter. How disturbing...

...like the woman in the medical bay, who is rubbing the bloody, mutilated torso...or the woman who is sawing that guy and then slits her own throat...

The voice actors also did a great job. It never feels like they are phoning it in. Even the audio and video logs are well-done and well-written. They really made me feel terrible when...

...you actually catch up with Temple (and maybe Cross?), only to see him murdered by Mercer.
[/quote]

I think the creepiest moment in the game came from an audio log, when
there's the guy who's talking about how he knows he's going to die, that he wants whoever hears it to tell his wife and kids he loves them, then you hear his breathing and screaming as he cuts off one of his limbs. Then the last thing you hear is his ragged breathing and he whispers, "Just one more..."

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Man. Flamethrower is weaksauce...[/quote]

We must be using different flamethrowers then because the flamethrower is awesome.

I am almost to the end of Chapter 2 and this game totally sucked me in the first time I
went out into space and killed a necromorph - no sound!
Brilliant.

[quote name='Razzuel']We must be using different flamethrowers then because the flamethrower is awesome.[/QUOTE]

It might've been just because I just got it and hadn't upgraded it at all. But it took me all 125 ammo in it just to kill two necromorphs whereas it takes me maybe 4-6 shots from the cutter to kill two of them.

God I've been waiting for this game to come in from Trainn for awhile now. I can't wait...

BTW, I remember IGN complaining that when you play through your 2nd time using your existing char. you can't change difficulties. Have they fixed this?

[quote name='A Happy Panda']It might've been just because I just got it and hadn't upgraded it at all. But it took me all 125 ammo in it just to kill two necromorphs whereas it takes me maybe 4-6 shots from the cutter to kill two of them.[/quote]

Yeah, early on, the flamethrower is quite weak. Personally, I like to use the secondary fire, where it spurts out a trail of flames that kind of lingers for awhile. If you got a bunch of Necromorphs all coming from one direction, it's nice to spray that all over and take something else out.

[quote name='SoulReaver']God I've been waiting for this game to come in from Trainn for awhile now. I can't wait...

BTW, I remember IGN complaining that when you play through your 2nd time using your existing char. you can't change difficulties. Have they fixed this?[/quote]

No, unfortunately.

bread's done
Back