dead space vs. bioshock

ClsdCsketMelody

CAG Veteran
now i dont know if this has ever been debated, and my bad if it already has, but bioshock and dead space are both "horror" games that are great to play. which do u prefer?

i personally like both for the different experiences, but i prefer bioshock a bit more

i dont think you can compare the 2. maybe deadspace vs re4 or the latest silent hill. or bioshock vs half life 2 would be closer comparisons. that aside id say bioshock is the more entertaining game.

I would not compare these games by genre, but if we are just talking about which one I preferred, I would say Bioshock. However, Dead Space was a lot of fun. I think the better comparison will be something like RE5 and Dead Space.

You can't compare these games. Bioshock blows Dead Space out of the water. I enjoyed Dead Space but Bioshock provided a more immersive everything.

Bioshock was amazing to me. It was probably more amazing to me than it was to most gamers because I really can appreciate a game's atmosphere if it's done well, and Bioshock provides one of the most impressive and genuinely unique atmospheres of all time. Maybe the gameplay wasn't the most revolutionary, I get that, but it makes up for it in many other ways.

I haven't played Dead Space, mainly because I'm not a fan of horror genre. I wouldn't really call Bioshock horror, it's creepy, but I'm not sure if it reaches the scare tactics of Dead Space.

You can easily compare any two video games on things like graphics, sound, controls, level of polish, story, overall atmosphere etc so I don't know why everyone keeps saying you can't. And yes you can also even compare apples to oranges on categories like flavor, shape, size, color, texture, and price. It's not hard.

I'll be the first to say I liked Dead Space way more. I found the combat in Bioshock fairly unsatisfying and I got sick and tired of that hacking mini game. I still liked both games a lot, though.

sure i guess you could compare the two but as said before, it's like comparing apples to oranges. personally, i felt that bioshock was more enjoyable by far. that game was so much more than just an fps or a horror game, it was anexperience, the best video game i played last year (yes i know it came out in 2007, i just hadnt gotten around to playing it until recently.)

[quote name='DrFoo']You can easily compare any two video games on things like graphics, sound, controls, level of polish, story, overall atmosphere etc so I don't know why everyone keeps saying you can't. And yes you can also even compare apples to oranges on categories like flavor, shape, size, color, texture, and price. It's not hard.

I'll be the first to say I liked Dead Space way more. I found the combat in Bioshock fairly unsatisfying and I got sick and tired of that hacking mini game. I still liked both games a lot, though.[/QUOTE]

The argument of 'apples to oranges' is based on the fact that, sure you can compare them, but depending on what you want in that experience will dicate the choice. If you want to make a pie, oranges won't cut it. Doesn't mean oranges are worse than apples.

Though, overall, I agree, when these debates start, you get too many people who claim nothing can be compared. I haven't played Dead Space, early on, I've been disappointed with Bioshock. Great setting, very atmospheric, but I feel very short on ammo, so it feels like I'm always running up, trying to damage and enemy, it kills me, I respawn, and try to inflct more damage.

Have to say you CAN compare any 2 games. I can compare Streets of Rage (of Genesis fame) to Bioshock. Some people MAY like SoR better. There are legit reasons someone would, ie believe it or not some people don't like FPS, how about if someone likes just SIMPLE gameplay. Better comparison Tetris. Most chicks would prefer Tetris to Bioshock, CoD4, Halo, etc, etc. So, its all a matter of opinion. Why the heck would people say you can't compare? Wouldn't Andrew Ryan say its because these people are controlled by God or Gov't? If he said Media that would be more apt. People are just parroting a line that is ridiculous.

So, here goes, I do compare Dead Space vd BioShock. I beat DS and I enjoyed that thoroughly. The story was not earth shattering... I am playing BioShock now and I like the premise and the various gameplay elements. I am not too far into it but I have a feeling that if it stays consistent that I will like it better. But, I will see. Stories that are thought provoking get serious points from me.

I guess Bioshock would naturally win this but I just didn't think it was great as it was hyped up to be. Sure dead space isn't exactly an original game but I had more fun playing it over Bioshock. If we are comparing what game we enjoyed more, I would say dead space.

These are not good games to compare. Bioshock was story driven while Dead Space was pretty much no story and just decapitate things. Both games are great IMO, but overall I am more of the story based gamer and enjoyed Bioshock more than Dead Space.

[quote name='lordxixor101']The argument of 'apples to oranges' is based on the fact that, sure you can compare them, but depending on what you want in that experience will dicate the choice. If you want to make a pie, oranges won't cut it. Doesn't mean oranges are worse than apples.

Though, overall, I agree, when these debates start, you get too many people who claim nothing can be compared. I haven't played Dead Space, early on, I've been disappointed with Bioshock. Great setting, very atmospheric, but I feel very short on ammo, so it feels like I'm always running up, trying to damage and enemy, it kills me, I respawn, and try to inflct more damage.[/quote]

don't mean to offense but I really can't stand this. Would you mind just saying you suck at playing games other than the game is disappointing?

[quote name='Davestation']These are not good games to compare. Bioshock was story driven while Dead Space was pretty much no story and just decapitate things. [/quote]

Uh...ok?
Dead space had no story? Really?

I guess they made a movie and comics that had nothing on them, eh? I recall a pretty intense story and it was pretty damn good. Definitely vague at some points, and nothing epic or groundbreaking, but it was definitely there.

You must be one of those players that spam the A button through every game.

Anyway, on topic, both games were great IMHO, and both had a lot to offer. It's hard to compare them as it wouldn't be equally fair, but I say Bioshock takes the lead, but not by too much. I was impressed by both. ;)

Having finished both, i would say Dead Space is the better game. Bioshock's first half is excellent, and literally becomes a tedious fetch quest by the 2nd half. I just wanted the game to end by the time i got to the last parts of the game. The story was great tho, and when you find out who is who, it makes the game very appealing.

Dead Space is so insanely polished tho, has amazing gameplay, fun, and what a sound setup!! It really shows you what a top tier team can do when they get the chance to go all out, and i really respect EA for it. If i had to choose between the 2, id go with Dead Space for sure. Bioshock is great but it feels like a rushed FPS with a great story compared to Dead Space's immense polish.

Also, after you finish the game, watch the Dead Space blu-ray, explains a lot!

[quote name='allen9917']don't mean to offense but I really can't stand this. Would you mind just saying you suck at playing games other than the game is disappointing?[/quote]

His argument was perfectly valid and I don't think he was implying that he "sucked". The problem with Bioshock (at least when it first came out and there was no hardcore mode or whatever they added in a patch) was the lack of challenge. Fighting Big Daddies was supposed to be this really intense, difficult and challenging ordeal but it was trivialized by the fact that you could just respawn over and over with virtually no penalty until they were dead.

No need to start flaming people in a civil thread.

[quote name='Lacuna Requiem']Uh...ok?

I guess they made a movie and comics that had nothing on them, eh? I recall a pretty intense story and it was pretty damn good. Definitely vague at some points, and nothing epic or groundbreaking, but it was definitely there.

Anyway, on topic, both games were great IMHO, and both had a lot to offer. It's hard to compare them as it wouldn't be equally fair, but I say Bioshock takes the lead, but not by too much. I was impressed by both. ;)[/quote]

Yes of the two Dead Space lacked story. It was bland and really "basic". Just because EA decides to market the game into a horrible animated prequel and a comic does not make Dead Space have an automatic brilliant story. Bioshock on the other hand had probably one of the best stories and twists in video game history.

The story in Dead Space just reminded me of watching Aliens back in the day, it was fun but it's already been done before in other media. What other media do you see a guy infiltrate an underwater city where everyone went insane?

Gameplay was fun in both, but Dead Space's story is what hurts it when I compare the two, that is why Dead Space practically has no (original) story. Still I loved both games and the only thing missing from them is a multi-player or co-op aspect.

[quote name='Lacuna Requiem']Uh...ok?

Anyway, on topic, both games were great IMHO, and both had a lot to offer. It's hard to compare them as it wouldn't be equally fair, but I say Bioshock takes the lead, but not by too much. I was impressed by both. ;)[/quote]

in dead space the audio logs and text files don't tell you much. you see a glimpse of what happened to the crew, you're left in the dark about the religious nuts, and still to this day i wonder who opened the doors
if Isaac's girlfriend/wife was already dead/necromorphed.

in bioshock if you listen to the audio files you get the full backstory of the city. why it was built, why it failed, who you are, etc etc.

i think dead space was a better video game but bioshock wins on story hands down.

I understand that, that's why I said it's very vague at some points. But claiming it had "no story" is a dumb comment. I found a lot there, and while it wasn't as exciting or detailed as many other games, it still made an impression on me and I enjoyed it and wanted to progress to find out what happened, and watched the movie to find out the beginning effects and reasons of what I just played. That's a good game.
Things were definitely recycled, but it had it's own elements that made it its own game.
I agree that Bioshock was a better, more original game in all fronts.

bioshock wins for sure as the better game but i really enjoyed dead space aswell...i think its the best internally developed EA game in the last 15 years...

I don't think you can compare the two but since you asked Bioshock FTW.

IMO Dead Space is closer to RE4 then Bioshock. Dead Space is still an amazing horror thriller (great gameplay mechanics, visuals, and sound).

bread's done
Back