(DEAD) The Social Network (pre-order) @ Best Buy: $16.99

I wonder will this be cheaper once it actually hits the store shelf. Best Buy is notorious for offering great deals during the first week of release for CDs and DVDs.

If they do, you can always get a price adjustment, and I honestly don't think it's going anywhere but up. 17 dollars for a critically acclaimed major release on day one? I doubt they'll go any lower any time soon.

[quote name='PopCulture']I wonder will this be cheaper once it actually hits the store shelf. Best Buy is notorious for offering great deals during the first week of release for CDs and DVDs.[/QUOTE]

It has already hit the shelves. This is Best Buy's deal for release week.

[quote name='skiizim']Is this move even any good? It's been in my goldbox the past few days.[/QUOTE]

Let's see...it's on nearly every respected movie critic's best of 2010 list, it's said to be the favorite for Best Picture at the Oscars (among other awards/categories), it has a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes, and a 95 on Metacritic. And you're asking this in a thread populated by people buying the movie. I'm not sure what sort of answer you expected to get here.

[quote name='dino88']Let's see...it's on nearly every respected movie critic's best of 2010 list, it's said to be the favorite for Best Picture at the Oscars (among other awards/categories), it has a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes, and a 95 on Metacritic. And you're asking this in a thread populated by people buying the movie. I'm not sure what sort of answer you expected to get here.[/QUOTE]

Don't be a smart ass, I asked for opinions not what critics think of this movie. I could really care less about facebook which is what put me off but I was mildly interested in this movie. So I thank you for the complete lack of a response, come back when you grow up a little bit more kid.

[quote name='skiizim']Is this move even any good? It's been in my goldbox the past few days.[/QUOTE]

I've never seen it, blind bought it. Really good man, fascinating at times. The whole idea of Facebook and how it started is truly amazing.

All those packaging issues you guys are having could have been remedied (or can be, if you haven't opened the movie yet) through a little careful cutting with a knife:

This looks familiar, no? Looking over the package, it's easy to see the movie comes out from the left (if viewing from the front).

If you can look closely you can see I've already done it in this photo, but what you're going to want to do is get a knife (the thinner the better), and carefully cut the plastic around where the movie comes out, and remove the small flap of plastic that used to keep the movie sealed. Once you do, viola:

Look how happy Jesse Eisenberg is that he gets to stay on the front cover. I use this method for any movie wrapped in plastic that can be opened or removed through the side; there's no reason to remove all the plastic. It can hold the extra packaging on the box, and it can help protect the packaging from surface scratches. I've done this for my Dirty Harry collection, the Goonies giftset, Planet Earth/Life, and even games like Deathsmiles and BlazBlue.

With the last two, it also allows you to only have to open the box once, as you can tuck the flap into the still attached plastic, and avoid creasing the box in the future. Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lolwut?']

Look how happy Jesse Eisenberg is that he gets to stay on the front cover.[/QUOTE]

LOL :bouncy: Nice method to retain the cover! Great idea.

And to skiizim:
I saw this in the theaters and really liked it. It's sprinkled with the background concept of the internet/technology and is more about friendship, betrayal and the drama that ensues. Just my two cents on it. I watched this film knowing that it's got it's facts based on true events, but of course this is a *movie*, so it's entertaining and dramatized.

The second disc making of documentary is pretty good. I've only watched that (90 mins roughly) as well as one of the 17 minute pieces on editing the film (editor and sound designer featurette). Great stuff though, and as you've seen, really nice packaging.

It was advertised all over in-store with the sale price, in case anyone was wondering. Picked it up today, the packaging is really slick.

Dually noted that this isn't a true nonfictional representation of what really went down, and none of us will really ever know, but I'd say it's fairly accurate. It was based on true events, and the characters all remain with unchanged names and roles, so take that as you will..

And I love Facebook. I don't play any of the games or get involved in the drama that it holds, but a lot of people I wouldn't have any form of contact with otherwise, or people that I had no idea where they went in life, I have contact with now. And it was interesting to see just how this whole idea unraveled and that it (mostly) started because a girl pissed off Zuckerberg, lol.

I want to join a Jewish Fraternity after watching this. All the main co founders were members of AEPi. Even Sean Parker was Jewish. After watching this to ive been more motivated by the hacking scene and getting deeper into piracy.

I currently own no blu-rays for obvious reasons however when i can snag a copy of this for $10 or under i will get it. This movie is fully worth supporting.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mr_bungle']Dually noted that this isn't a true nonfictional representation of what really went down, and none of us will really ever know, but I'd say it's fairly accurate. It was based on true events, and the characters all remain with unchanged names and roles, so take that as you will..[/QUOTE]
The reason the names aren't changed is because it's based on a book called The Accidental Billionaires, which Eduardo was a consultant on. How accurate the book is was called into question quite a bit IIRC. I seem to remember some people suggesting it was almost entirely a work of fiction.

[quote name='Zerok']The reason the names aren't changed is because it's based on a book called The Accidental Billionaires, which Eduardo was a consultant on. How accurate the book is was called into question quite a bit IIRC. I seem to remember some people suggesting it was almost entirely a work of fiction.[/QUOTE]

*cough* facebook spreading that it wasnt true*cough*

[quote name='mr_bungle']Dually noted that this isn't a true nonfictional representation of what really went down, and none of us will really ever know, but I'd say it's fairly accurate. It was based on true events, and the characters all remain with unchanged names and roles, so take that as you will..

And I love Facebook. I don't play any of the games or get involved in the drama that it holds, but a lot of people I wouldn't have any form of contact with otherwise, or people that I had no idea where they went in life, I have contact with now. And it was interesting to see just how this whole idea unraveled and that it (mostly) started because a girl pissed off Zuckerberg, lol.[/QUOTE]

Except that part was not true. He's been dating the same girl since before he founded Facebook.

I bought this movie at Best Buy last night, it was a blind buy for me and I loved it. I was confused though when I noticed that there was no DVD or Digital Copy inside. I could have sworn that the commercial said it would include the DVD and the Digital Copy along with the Blu-ray. Was there something I missed?

bread's done
Back