(DEAD) The Wire Complete Series $75 - Amazon Deal of the Day 12/23

Thanks! I guess it's about time I finally bought this. One of my favorite shows of all time, and to my knowledge one of the best prices this series has ever been offered at (I balked at it when it was $89.99 last year around this time).

Any clue how the new packaging is? Here is the old complete series' page still at $100 with a little box saying "there is a newer version of this title" with a link to the now-on-sale set.

If I knew they did away with the awful insta-scratch cardboard, I'd like to pick this series up eventually to watch it and resell when done.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='zenintrude']You are an idiot if you don't buy this.[/QUOTE]

That is the absolute truth. Maybe the best television series of all time. (Coming from someone who watches literally every show)

Gah I really want this but wish it was on Blu Ray. I'm not sure if I can tolerate watching the whole series in SD.

[quote name='AceHazard']Gah I really want this but wish it was on Blu Ray. I'm not sure if I can tolerate watching the whole series in SD.[/QUOTE]

That's the only way anyone's ever watched it since that's how they shot it. IIRC season 4 was broadcast in HD, but it was just upconverted. As someone who owns the series, I can tell you for sure that on a show like this it didn't bother me once that it wasn't HD.

[quote name='AceHazard']Gah I really want this but wish it was on Blu Ray. I'm not sure if I can tolerate watching the whole series in SD.[/QUOTE]

The show has never been in true HD. It probably won't be since they have to go back and edit the original 35mm film. With all that said, The Wire is by far one of the best HBO shows and at this price a total steal. The show was never about video quality so don't let that deter you.

ARGH. I just knew someone would come in and gripe about it not being in HD.

Just buy it, The Wire will likely never be released on Blu-ray.

Goddamit, really can't be spending money anymore but I hear great things bout this show. Someone, dissuade me here.

EDIT: After much consideration, I'll pass on this deal. I got to much backloggery going on and I know the price will go down in the future. Cheers to those who picked it up!

Last edited by a moderator:
I really want to buy this, but I have seen so many people in the amazon reviews say that the discs are defective or damaged that I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger.

I have this set, and the reason why they say that about the discs is because they were bought from third party sellers and they were bootlegs. My first set i got on eBay had defective discs and was bootleg. I got the official set and it has worked flawlessly.

That said...best.tv show.ever. Buy it.

[quote name='ihadFG']I really want to buy this, but I have seen so many people in the amazon reviews say that the discs are defective or damaged that I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger.[/QUOTE]

I bought mine off Amazon and watched them all without problems. I then loaned them to 3 different people who watched all of them and then I watched them all again, no problems.

Obviously that's just me, but I'd say those concerns are overstated.

Yeah some people are tards when it comes to Amazon reviews. I know that sounds harsh when the bootlegs are very passable, but if I bought a cheap set from a third party vendor, I'd do my research before ranting and raving about the official product in an Amazon review.

Thanks, $75 is just low enough for me to finally get this. Now I have to choose between starting this or starting Mad Men after I finish the second season of Breaking Bad. :whistle2:k

[quote name='Dragon164z']Thanks, $75 is just low enough for me to finally get this. Now I have to choose between starting this or starting Mad Men after I finish the second season of Breaking Bad. :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Id say The Wire. Breaking Bad is the closest thing in quality to compare it to.

I bought this set off Amazon in 2008 when it first came out and I haven't had any problems with it. I almost bought another one thinking I could gift it to one of my friends, but then I thought my other friends might get jealous if they found out.

Great price for one of the greatest shows ever. Bought this on Amazon a couple of years back and all disc played fine and the packaging is all right. I really don't know what all the fuss is about. However, I would be cautious purchasing this via eBay. Plenty of bootlegs on there, not worth the risk. Buy this now!

from what i can understand, the problem is that the packaging has the DVDs in paper sleeves, instead of the regular cases that 99.9% of DVDs come in

but i assume that as long as you're careful with the discs, they should play fine... probably not the ideal storage solution, but if you're really paranoid about keeping the discs in good condition, i guess you could always buy cases and make some custom cover art, lol

Saw the whole series "illegally" through a friend about 2 years ago. I was blown away. Last year it went on sale for like 80$ I snatched it up in a hear beat. That show earned every penny, My favorite TV show of all time!

bread's done
Back