[DEAD] West Wing, Nip/Tuck = $1.60, Smallville $2.40 @ BB B&M as PM to BigLots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

honzoh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Guys -- posted this in the Big!Lots thread, but I don't want it to go unnoticed as there are like, 15 pages in there.

Big!lots is doing a sale this week (they have an ad) on their television series on dvd. You can take the ad to Best Buy and have it pricematched. Here's what I posted in that thread =

"For those that care, both niptuck and west wing ring up as $1.60 at best buy after price match. Go in, pay their price, then take receipt plus biglots ad to customer service. 110% will knock it to $1.60."

Also, smallville is $42.90 at Best Buy and $2.40 after the pricematch.

Great prices as long as you live near a Best Buy that easily follows pricematching procedures.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love it when someone posts a "deal" that turns out to be questionable at best, and then makes it their life's goal to defend the deal ad nauseum.

[quote name='dino88']I believe the OP just got really lucky. And Smallville (listed in the thread's title) isn't even in the Big Lots ad.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='honzoh']Come on, man. Stop thread crapping. It's best buy's policy to pricematch, there's no reason they would turn you down for this.

If they tell you no, based on the ad, you tell them to call the story and verify. I don't get why you would say this deal wouldn't work. It's ludicrous to think this is a YMMV. It's their friggin policy and I came here to post this after I did it today and know other friends who did. No problems at all.

No reason to come here and scream 'this won't work' when you have no idea what you're talking about. I certainly didn't get 'lucky' with corporate policy.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='honzoh']Sounds like it worked perfect for you, for the item that was advertised. You just wanted stuff that wasn't included in the ad. Or at Big!Lots.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you're contradicting yourself now. You called my post "thread crapping" for saying that you were lucky to get Smallville. Now you are telling this guy that he shouldn't have expected to get something not in the ad. Smallville isn't in the ad either, so why would you put that in your title?

[quote name='zenintrude']I love it when someone posts a "deal" that turns out to be questionable at best, and then makes it their life's goal to defend the deal ad nauseum.[/QUOTE]

I know, right? When did YMMV turn into a bad word? The OP is acting personally offended when people say that not everyone will be able to get this price-match. I don't get the excitement. And why was my post singled out for thread crapping, when nearly everyone else has said the same thing as me?

I love it when someone posts a "deal" that turns out to be questionable at best, and then makes it their life's goal to defend the deal ad nauseum.

And I love it when people come into a thread to do nothing other than complain about a legit deal. Awesome.

You called my post "thread crapping" for saying that you were lucky to get Smallville. Now you are telling this guy that he shouldn't have expected to get something not in the ad. Smallville isn't in the ad either, so why would you put that in your title?

Take another look. I said 'in the ad' and 'or at biglots'.

As I also said earlier, I took pics on my cell of the product on sale at big!lots in case I was told it wasn't in the ad. I really don't get you guys. I mean, I come here to post a deal. I've been a CAG for two years. And so many people are quick to yell 'YMMV' and 'NOT A DEAL'.

It is a deal. If it's not one to you, fine. Who cares? But it's not YMMV as it's their policy to pricematch it. For the people who have actually left their computer screen and gone to Best Buy, it's worked. No doubts. And the guy who said, 'Didn't work for me' was clearly trying to get product that wasn't part of the sale. Why would Best Buy pricematch something not on sale? He even said they'd be willing to pricematch the Nip/Tuck -- but he didn't want it because it wasn't a good enough deal. The point of pricematching is to compete with a competitor by offering the same price, if not better. Not to sell you any product you want for the price you'd like to pay.

If you think it's YMMV fine. The people who have actually gone to the store prove you wrong. End of story.

[quote name='honzoh'] But it's not YMMV as it's their policy to pricematch it. [/QUOTE]

Honzoh, read their Price Match policy. They do not price match anything that says limited quantities. I have the Big Lots ad in my hand and says, "While Supplies Last." That means that it is Best Buy's policy to NOT price match this. A number of people have pointed out that you got lucky, but it is in fact YMMV.

[quote name='JPCERTIFIED'][quote name='HunteR7411']Did you buy that TV that I told you to get? ;) How funny that we were there for 2 different reasons! lol

I take it you been hitting the Aurora Biglots then?[/QUOTE]

Yea. too bad the one in oswego went under. :( Whats funny is that before this sale, I had never been in a Big Lots before.

[quote name='honzoh']If you think it's YMMV fine. The people who have actually gone to the store prove you wrong. End of story.[/QUOTE]

Here are the people that have gone to a store:
[quote name='gdemander']I tried it at four different Best Buys. All of them refused quoting the line from their policy that I previously mentioned about Limited Quantities. It might be worth a try for other people, but it didn't for me.[/QUOTE]
It didn't work and that was between 4 different Best Buys.

[quote name='HunteR7411']I had success PM most of the collection that I picked up.

Best Buy didnt have Pink & The Brain Vol. 1 & 2 so no go there.

They had no problems PM the ER sets for 4.60 (apparently its on sale for 16.99)

Had a little more trouble with PM Smallville, but I got season 4 for $2.40 and they "couldn't" give me the 110% difference on the blu-ray season 7 smallville because it would have been NEGATIVE! lol
So they did give it to me for $6.

Now I came armed with the ad, Biglots receipt showing the same seasons that I bought for $6 AND the actual dvd sets sealed from Big lots. So I now have dupes of everything[/QUOTE]
It worked, but only partially. He was not able to get Smallville for your quoted $2.40 price.

So, there's your subject pool for "the people who have actually gone to the store prove you wrong"...out of 5 attempts, only 1 was successful (partially). For some reason, I don't feel wrong in saying "This deal is YMMV."

[quote name='honzoh']It does depend on the customer service person, to a certain extent. When I was in Big!lots for the ad, I also snagged pics on my cellphone of the display, showcasing which ones I was pricematching. I've yet to find a customer service rep who won't believe a cellphone snag. And they can always call Big!lots if they want. As long as Big!lots has it, you'd get it for the 110%.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='honzoh']As long as you have the ad, they have to match what's in the ad. There are specific seasons of ER, OC, NipTuck, and West Wing in the ad. The ad would probably be better to have on hand, as the picture quality would be better than your cell (or print off, I suppose -- though you could print off a BIG pic of it if they're having difficulties).

And, remember, as long as your Big!Lots has these in stock, they have to pricematch it. They can call the store to verify if they want, but they have to honor it. Their computer system will auto do the 110% as long as you purchase it in full first, then take it to customer service. It's the extra 10% that makes all the difference.[/QUOTE]

I think that says it all. You defined a YMMV deal.

Thanks OP for the post.

I went to my best buy and was about to check out, when the cashier says that best buy does not price match from Big Lots. (What the Heck???) So I'm going back tomorrow and bringing their price match policy. Anything else you guys think I should do?

[quote name='brotherwilliam3']Thanks OP for the post.

I went to my best buy and was about to check out, when the cashier says that best buy does not price match from Big Lots. (What the Heck???) So I'm going back tomorrow and bringing their price match policy. Anything else you guys think I should do?[/QUOTE]

Go for it. Worst case scenario is you get told no. Let us know what happens.

[quote name='honzoh']If you think it's YMMV fine. The people who have actually gone to the store prove you wrong. End of story.[/QUOTE]

Why are you getting butthurt over people speaking the truth. It's highly unlikely that it will work, so a YMMV is in order. Best Buy's are nazis when it comes to price matching.

I went to my best buy and was about to check out, when the cashier says that best buy does not price match from Big Lots. (What the Heck???) So I'm going back tomorrow and bringing their price match policy. Anything else you guys think I should do?

They do pricematch Big!Lots -- don't pricematch at cashier. Pay in full at cashier, then take the receipt+product+ad over to the customer service desk and have them pricematch there.

[quote name='honzoh']They do pricematch Big!Lots -- don't pricematch at cashier. Pay in full at cashier, then take the receipt+product+ad over to the customer service desk and have them pricematch there.[/QUOTE]

I've just taken my product to customer service whenever I have price matched at BBY. Never had an issue getting it matched with the 110% guarantee while doing the initial purchase mind you. Less hassle FTW!

I've just taken my product to customer service whenever I have price matched at BBY. Never had an issue getting it matched with the 110% guarantee while doing the initial purchase mind you. Less hassle FTW!

Cool, didn't know that. Thought you had to pay in full. Will try it tomorrow. Thanks mate!

[quote name='HunteR7411'][quote name='JPCERTIFIED']

Yea. too bad the one in oswego went under. :( Whats funny is that before this sale, I had never been in a Big Lots before.[/QUOTE]

Well there is always the Naperville store

Which box sets are actually pictured in the Big Lots ad?

You can see OC season2, West Wing season2, Nip/Tuck season 4, pinky and brain vol 1/2, and a couple of the ERs. The Nip/Tuck and West Wings are the best, as they will receive the best discount. Don't forget that some Big!Lots received other seasons, and if you verify what they have first, your Best Buy can call to verify for the pricematch. This is especially good on Smallville, as aside from the ones mentioned, it's the next lowest pricematch.

Didn't work for me. Manager came in and said they don't PM Big Lots, as BB doesn't define BL as a retail store.

Close this useless thread down.

[quote name='manthing']Didn't work for me. Manager came in and said they don't PM Big Lots, as BB doesn't define BL as a retail store.

Close this useless thread down.[/QUOTE]

This. Big Lots is a *closeout* store... that's clearly defined in their motto and logo. That said, this is really YMMV... if you get (or got) some lazy BB customer service employee to price match, then great. However, saying this is a deal is hardly on the up-and-up.

For example, if you take an ad from Target to BB, they will price match it every time. Why? Well, 1, Target is a *retail* store, 2, Target is considered a competitor, and 3, Target explicitly lists items in their ads (pictures *and* text).

[quote name='brotherwilliam3']Has anyone tried price matching at Target? Do they even have the titles in the add?[/QUOTE]Target doesn't pm although Sears does, but they probably don't pm Big Lots.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Target doesn't pm although Sears does, but they probably don't pm Big Lots.[/QUOTE]

Yes they do... they just started PMing again.

[quote name='brotherwilliam3']Has anyone tried price matching at Target? Do they even have the titles in the add?[/QUOTE]

They just started price matching in select locations, like San Jose, California. I went in to try and price match West Wing, but they didn't have any of the seasons in stock. It would be awesome to do it at Target, but their selection of older DVDs is pretty minimal.

As others have pointed out this is a HUGE YMMV. Best Buy (at least the three by me) don't consider Big Lots a competitor and would not price match the ad.

Furthermore, discussion of this should've been kept in the Big Lots thread where it belongs.

[quote name='honzoh']Come on, man. Stop thread crapping. It's best buy's policy to pricematch, there's no reason they would turn you down for this.

If they tell you no, based on the ad, you tell them to call the story and verify. I don't get why you would say this deal wouldn't work. It's ludicrous to think this is a YMMV. It's their friggin policy and I came here to post this after I did it today and know other friends who did. No problems at all.

No reason to come here and scream 'this won't work' when you have no idea what you're talking about. I certainly didn't get 'lucky' with corporate policy.[/QUOTE]

As a current employee who has worked at several stores, I can't believe that any store will actually price match this in the future. We have all received specific instructions from corporate to not price match anything from Big Lots without specific consent from the upper management back at Minneapolis. Every single employee who actually reads their daily news would immediately have a customer interaction script which specifically outlines why we won't price match this specific sale. I still can't believe that some store allowed this to happen, but I am going to take a wild guess that the one store that did resulted in the rest of the rest of the nation getting a nasty email from corporate headquarters.

I'm not saying that it didn't work for you, but at this point, I doubt a store will accept the price match for this. The fine print in the policy specifically outlines that Best Buy can basically reject any price match for a variety of nitpicky reasons.

I would also like to add that the 110 percent price match his going to be hitting the dust after Saturday. Starting on Sunday, the new policy is to only match the price without a refund of the difference. We also are getting new fine print for the actual policy, which more specifically outlines why places like Big Lots are exempt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys -- posted this in the Big!Lots thread, but I don't want it to go unnoticed as there are like
signature_damoo.jpg
:)

the 110% works all the time. i originally used to just go straight to customer service and have them do the 110% on the spot. but then they stopped doin it so i used to just buy @ full price and show em the ad and they refund me plus the 110%. never failed.

I'm not saying that it didn't work for you, but at this point, I doubt a store will accept the price match for this. The fine print in the policy specifically outlines that Best Buy can basically reject any price match for a variety of nitpicky reasons.

I would also like to add that the 110 percent price match his going to be hitting the dust after Saturday. Starting on Sunday, the new policy is to only match the price without a refund of the difference. We also are getting new fine print for the actual policy, which more specifically outlines why places like Big Lots are exempt.

Wow, man. Cool info -- thanks for the update. I doubt I was the cause of the change, as I've talked to several members on several forums that haven't had any problems getting this done. The 110% always assured that my money went to best buy, and with it gone they will lose a lot of my business. But, that being said, I'm sure they were losing money on my business so I understand.

[quote name='dino88']This is a BIG YMMV. I'd say 9 times out of 10, they will not price-match this deal. Or anything from Big Lots for that matter. I believe the OP just got really lucky. And Smallville (listed in the thread's title) isn't even in the Big Lots ad.
[/QUOTE]I managed to find Smallville S7, there were 6 copies

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back