Deadly Premonition - Convince me to buy this

Rodimus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
Having been caught up with my console games I've been in an adventurous gaming mood, wanting to try new things. Deadly Premonition has always intrested me plus having garnered a cult following, it seems like something I might like. But the reviews are very much polarized and I'm not a big survival horror fan. Seems like this could be a hit or miss for me.

I know a few CAG have played it, could I get your impressions? Most likely I'll just go ahead and get it since it's so cheap.

Is the game scary? If so is it more a psychological scary or "bam!" monster in your face scary?

I've been told that if you like Alan Wake, you'd like this, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet with my backlog.

Fantastic game! Definitely more psychological. Really weird/interesting/crazy/WTF story. Lots of things to do in the game...main missions/sidequests/collectathons/etc. Controls can be a bit clunky, but you're never overrun with enemies to where you get frustrated because of them. Best soundtrack ever in a video game. That about sums it up, lol.

Oh, and the other obligatory "if you like ____, then you'd like it" reference. If you have ever seen and liked the old short-lived television show Twin Peaks, you'll like this. Parts of the game (both in plot devices and locations) are lifted directly from the show. Ultimately, it's a really quirky game. If you don't find quirky things charming or have a bit of an eclectic taste, you won't like it.

I would suggest Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Shadows of the Damned, or even Splatterhouse well before this.

Also: Enslaved is ~$7 right now.

And: Subway is having their "Februany" promotion right now: Steak & Cheese Footlong for $5.

^ Besides Splatterhouse I've beat all those. I really am scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Thanks for the input guys. It really seems like a hit and miss kinda game, but I'd like to try it anyways. 9 times out of 10 I fall in love with these oddball games. I'll look around for the next few days and see if I can find it at a good price. I just wanted something to tide me over till Mass Effect 3 comes out.

It's really hard to define DP's charm without mentioning Twin Peaks's quirkiness. The combat sections are linear and dull, the graphics are about par with a bargain bin PS2 game, but I couldn't put it down. I loved the characters, and the plot seems odd but turns out to be a decent horror story. Just writing this makes me feel the urge to play it again.

I would definitely recommend this game to anyone. I recently played through it 2 months ago. The only thing that really bugs me is the combat, because it gets really old, really fast, mostly because there is only like 3 or 4 enemy types. I think the writing was funny because of all of the awkward moments.

extremely hit or miss. For me it's a miss with an unintentional bunt on the backswing that makes the ball hit the ump in the nads.

I was sick of it within a couple of hours. Mainly because there was an item I had to get, but I couldn't pick it up. It was right there in front of me, the interact button flashes on the screen, but nothing happens when I hit the button. Annoying as all hell.

[quote name='Rodimus']Having been caught up with my console games I've been in an adventurous gaming mood, wanting to try new things. Deadly Premonition has always intrested me plus having garnered a cult following, it seems like something I might like. But the reviews are very much polarized and I'm not a big survival horror fan. Seems like this could be a hit or miss for me.

I know a few CAG have played it, could I get your impressions? Most likely I'll just go ahead and get it since it's so cheap.

Is the game scary? If so is it more a psychological scary or "bam!" monster in your face scary?[/QUOTE]

Listen Zach, the game is like the 1990 horror movie, Gremlins 2. The one that had all the little monsters in it and the could not eat after midnight with Christopher Lee, and music by Jerry Goldsmith? There is a lot of humor in it, and a couple of scares but not everyone liked it. I guess what I'm saying is that, like a cannibal that refuses to eat chicken, we all have different tastes.

Convince yourself. Either play the damn game or don't, it's up to you. You have already heard what people have said about the game for over 2 years now, so please, stop making a thread to just grab attention by name dropping a cult hit video game.

[quote name='Spyder187']Convince yourself. Either play the damn game or don't, it's up to you. You have already heard what people have said about the game for over 2 years now, so please, stop making a thread to just grab attention by name dropping a cult hit video game.[/QUOTE]

I was expecting one of these. If it bothers you so much just ignore the thread and let it die, like it most likely would've done in a few days. I'm trying to get attention? Yeah, I guess I am, thats the point. I'm bored at work and just want to talk about games I might be intrested in. For the most part I like CAG and it's users base and intrested in their input.

You can always ignore me as a user if you feel I make too many bullshit threads. If not please, stop making comments just to grab attention by acting like a blatant jackass.

[quote name='shotgunshine']How dare you have the nerve to make a post talking about video games in a video game forum...ban him![/QUOTE]

Who does he think he is? Another forum user getting opinions! Forever banish him!

Let us know if you get it or not.

I'm going to use spoiler tags in case you want the secret achievements to be secret. In no way is this a true spoiler (story wise)
I recommend not playing the game on the hard difficulty right off the bat. There are achievements for beating the game on easy, normal, and hard difficulties. However, completing the game on hard does NOT award you with the achievements for completing the game on normal and easy. Basically, you have to beat the game three times if you want all of the achievements. This is why I recommend your first play-through to be on easy or normal difficulty, so you can enjoy the story and decide whether or not you will play through the game again. Don't get me wrong, hard mode isn't very difficult, it's just really annoying because 1) it takes several headshots to kill an enemy :twoguns: 2) there are many instances where enemies would respawn indefinitely in areas that block your path. Because of this, I started to avoid battles by running past the enemies :cool:

Played for about an hour last night. Weird freakin' game. The scariest thing are the controls. With that said I have to admit there's something about it that's alluring. Like watching a bad movie, I can't help myself but see how it plays out.

It's odd, I went from Alan Wake to this. I feel limited when it comes to combat.

[quote name='Rodimus']Played for about an hour last night. Weird freakin' game. The scariest thing are the controls. With that said I have to admit there's something about it that's alluring. Like watching a bad movie, I can't help myself but see how it plays out.

It's odd, I went from Alan Wake to this. I feel limited when it comes to combat.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sadly the combat is the game's weak point, but the story makes up for it. This is one of those games that you will never forget.

This game has a cult following and is by far one of my favorite 360 games. I even bought some extras and gave them out for gifts. It's 13 and some change on Amazon. You can't go wrong for a game that cheap new even if you don't like it....right zach?

[quote name='bigsick']This game has a cult following and is by far one of my favorite 360 games. I even bought some extras and gave them out for gifts. It's 13 and some change on Amazon. You can't go wrong for a game that cheap new even if you don't like it....right zach?[/QUOTE]

That is quite correct. So says Mr. Stewart.

One of the coolest games of this generation, way better than other survival thrillers (Alan Wake and Heavy Rain).
Story was fantastic, some of the best/memorable characters invented, enchanted soundtrack.
Gameplay was serviceable, nothing exciting there.
Overall experience made a huge impression, DP became cult classic for a reason.

[quote name='Rodimus']Played for about an hour last night. Weird freakin' game. The scariest thing are the controls. With that said I have to admit there's something about it that's alluring. Like watching a bad movie, I can't help myself but see how it plays out.

It's odd, I went from Alan Wake to this. I feel limited when it comes to combat.[/QUOTE]

Combat and driving are It's weakest points for sure. If those could have been improved it might have been one of the greatest games released on the 360 (well and the graphics to, but it was a budget game overall) the game is really good. Sadly the controls have kept be from playing it again and It's in the backlog of doom right now. Still I'd highly recommend this game to anyone who can get use to some tank (old style RE almost) controls and PS2 level graphics, because everything else in the game is great.

I need to get back to playing this game Zack.

I have a question on how to play this? I really just want to see the story. Would skipping side quest hinder me substantially? I'm not finding the combat particulary difficult, is there really a need for anything else besides my default pistol?

[quote name='Rodimus']I have a question on how to play this? I really just want to see the story. Would skipping side quest hinder me substantially? I'm not finding the combat particulary difficult, is there really a need for anything else besides my default pistol?[/QUOTE]

From what I remember, the side quests really flesh out the story. There's a lot of stuff about the history of the town, characters, etc. I'm not sure how much of that CAN be skipped, but to truly appreciate the game, I'd try to cover as much as possible. As people have said, the combat isn't really great. I think a lot of enemies, you can just run past to get to where you need to be. That would be how I'd "speed things up" if you need to.

I liked the townspeople better when I did the side quests. Also, some of the quests give you infinite ammo weapons and a way to jump around town when the driving gets boring.

Son of a bitch... I got one of the few "key glitches" that doesn't let you progress through the game. I'm sitting there for almost 45 minutes running around like a dumb ass trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do. Then I go to gamefaqs and see *WARNING* DO NOT SAVE AND QUIT YOUR GAME AT THIS POINT. Mother fuckers. Couldn't they have patched this?

I'm sorry I missed this thread and didn't do my best to convince you NOT to buy this game. I know games have their weird cult followings, but this one, I just can't understand it. The game is so terrible to me. Nothing redeeming about it.

I'm gonna go boot up Too Human now. :p

bread's done
Back