(Deal Dead, Discussion Dying) Free PSP Games @ EB (w/select PS2/XBX/GC Trade-ins)

AnthonyRoundtree

CAGiversary!
Update: 4/16/05

Ths deal is now dead.
Go home... the party is over.

What's that? You wanna be the weird guy that hangs out after the party to talk about how cool the party was even though you were also the guy everyone at the party was trying to get away from?

Fine.... We'll say open for ya... BUT NO STICKY FOR YOU!

Thanks to everyone.... and don't forget.... now that you've gotten an entire library of PSP games for damn near free... don't forget to at least say hi to your DS once in a while.....

Your DS misses you....

Toodles!

UPDATE 4/11/05: As some of you may know... this deal advertised as "3 Trades for 1 PSP Game" is over as of 4/10. However, EBGames.com indicates that the deal is still fresh until the 15th, but you must trade in 6 for 2 games in one transaction in order for it to work.

Under In-Store Promotions, EBGames.com reads:
"Free select PSP title with PS2/XB/GC game trade-in (pre-purchase) Active: Now - 4/15/2005
Trade-in 6 qualifying pre-played PS2/XB/GC games and receive $79.98 towards the pre-purchase of 2 of the following titles: GRETZKY NHL HOCKEY PSP or TWISTED METAL: HEAD ON PSP or WORLD TOUR SOCCER PSP or ATV OFFRD FURY BLAZIN TRLS PSP or APE ESCAPE PSP or NBA PSP or WIPEOUT PURE PSP or MLB PSP. Game boxes and instructions are required. Some titles are excluded from trade. May be combined with other EB Promotions. Typographical errors are not the responsibility of EB Games. Not valid on hardware. See sales associate for complete details. Customer may be responsible for sales tax."

Some stores may or may not honor this promo, and some stores may still let you only trade in 3 for 1. Regardless, we'll keep this thread stickied until the 16th, then officially kill it 14 days after the 15th, for all you guys trying to exchange your items obtained on the 15th. In any case, the trade-in deal is YMMV, and exchanging the PSP games is even more YMMV.

Good luck to all of you on the final days of what is sure to be the most memorable, and profitable, trade-in deal of 2005!

[quote name='joystickz']

Here's the scoop.

EBGames In Store is having an in-store promotion on the preorder/purchase of PSP games that could potentially make your initial launch library damn near free.

Here's the deal......

ebpspfree6ss.jpg

With this deal, gamers need only trade in THREE games not on THIS LIST to receive one of the EIGHT games shown above.

gretzkyfree3al.jpg

For those of you who can put two and two together, understand that when you get the game from EB it bumps the value of each game that might be normally traded in for 50 cents, up to a third of the price of any of those 39.99 games.

Then, with your sealed game in hand, and receipt (or better, gift receipt) for said game, you are not prohibited from later exchanging it for store credit for the full $40 value of the game.

In essence, the deal isn't "just for those 8 PSP games" because you can still exchange any one of them within 14 days of purchase for full credit.

Better yet... get your credit back on a gift card (make sure it has scratch off pin numbers) and use it online.

Above deal ends April 10th.

Sound easy?
Good.

NOTE: Though this isnt a YMMV deal, the clerks all over don't seem to be too refreshed on it... so make sure you're cool with the employees enough to share some patience until they work it out in the computer.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mmn']I've been here a few months longer than you have, and in that time Gamestop has never had really great trade-in deals. You know its not some recent thing that just started happening. Every now and again they have a "trade 3 get $10 bonus" like they did recently, but mostly they're pretty crappy.

EB, however, always has 2-3 really GOOD trade-in deals per year. And usually they have decent ones 4-5 times per year. It's been that way since I've been here and I seriously doubt it'll change because a few people on a website found out you could trade in a Jampack as a PO game.[/QUOTE]

Who said anything about GS changing tactics? I said they have few exploitable trade-in deals, and that EB could follow their lead if too many people scam too much out of the system.

It's obvious that EB's loss prevention department is on to us, and is trying ways to make it tougher for people to exploit these deals. Even if they haven't done much before, they've been pretty active these few weeks. In addition to the Jampack 11 ban email that joystickz broke news on, the POX list has been taken offline (and given the length of time, not likely for maintainence or updating). It's common sense that they'll limit deals or impose more restrictions. But don't let my logic prevent you all from raping as much as you can out of the system. No skin off my cheap ass.

[quote name='salmonaxxx']Who said anything about GS changing tactics? I said they have few exploitable trade-in deals, and that EB could follow their lead if too many people scam too much out of the system.

It's obvious that EB's loss prevention department is on to us, and is trying ways to make it tougher for people to exploit these deals. Even if they haven't done much before, they've been pretty active these few weeks. In addition to the Jampack 11 ban email that joystickz broke news on, the POX list has been taken offline (and given the length of time, not likely for maintainence or updating). It's common sense that they'll limit deals or impose more restrictions. But don't let my logic prevent you all from raping as much as you can out of the system. No skin off my cheap ass.[/QUOTE]

The funny thing is if it weren't for some of these trade-in deals I would almost never shop at EBGAMES B&M. Just step back a second though and think of this as well....

Johnny "sometimes" gamer walks into an EB because he sees the trade 5 games get 1. So he brings in his 5 games and they tell him 2 are not eligible. Whatcha talkin about Willis? This=frustration. So they tell him bring in a few more and we'll check those out. This=annoying. If they are going to exclude games then we have to GUESS about which are good for the deal and which aren't ??? Then Johnny comes back and trades in 5 newer games like:

God Of War
Lego Star Wars
yada
yada
yada

and walks out with one new game? OUCH THAT STINGS!!! If Johnny sold those 5 on ebay he could probably get about $25-$40 for each game....which he could then get maybe 3 or so NEW games. Maybe more of a hassle but worth more in the end.

These deals are rarely ever worth it for the average gamer. The truth is they can't tighten the strings too much because this would also exclude Johnny " sometimes" gamer who brings in the good stuff that will sell for more. These deals have been going on FOREVER. Everyone needs to relax. If they did away with these deals I bet they would have a lot less traffic in the store. The truth is if EBGAMES shut down tomorrow I could care less.

BTW, a good solution is just to bring in a list of games your interested in trading. The guys in the Queens Mall and at Rockefeller were more than happy to check evry game I had on my list to see if they would trade in or not. No need to go back and forth. I actually have a complete list of my games on my Pocket PC in an excel spreadsheet, so I just pull it out and ask about the ones I'm curious about, mark it if it can be traded and only bring those in.

[quote name='hwong3']BTW, a good solution is just to bring in a list of games your interested in trading. The guys in the Queens Mall and at Rockefeller were more than happy to check evry game I had on my list to see if they would trade in or not. No need to go back and forth. I actually have a complete list of my games on my Pocket PC in an excel spreadsheet, so I just pull it out and ask about the ones I'm curious about, mark it if it can be traded and only bring those in.[/QUOTE]

Um...Ok but once to bring in a list and once to trade in = twice. I was also using that as an example for Johnny "sometimes" gamer.

[quote name='jkam']Um...Ok but once to bring in a list and once to trade in = twice. I was also using that as an example for Johnny "sometimes" gamer.[/QUOTE]

Granted. But I assume that you'd go to an EB to shop as well, and I always have my PPC on me. I guess it's never been a big deal to me since I work nearby.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I called my EB and said it was still green.[/QUOTE]

There is a big difference between a EB rep saying that it is a go and it actually taking in the computer.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I called my EB and said it was still green.[/QUOTE]

And of course once I walk in, they give me the shaft. I then tried to see how much credit I could get for 9 PS2 games. The ass says 27 fuckin' bucks, I give him the finger, and walk out.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']And of course once I walk in, they give me the shaft. I then tried to see how much credit I could get for 9 PS2 games. The ass says 27 fuckin' bucks, I give him the finger, and walk out.[/QUOTE]

He didn't try and force it through manually for you? Particularly after saying it was green?

Saw this and wanted to jump on it. One store said they aren't doing it, and the other one said "we aren't doing that anymore" and wanted to tell me about some gift voucher if you buy 2 games thing instead. Argh!

Since most of the games that I wanted to do for this sale were shot down because the EB employees kept getting new exclusion lists, what exactly was so special about this deal since I really didn't pay to much attention to it after the first page and a half or so?

I mean, I understand the concept of getting money from one of these 39.99 or higher PSP games, but I guess a lot of you must have had the games that were not on the list and were willing to trade them in.

Guess I answered my own question there.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Since most of the games that I wanted to do for this sale were shot down because the EB employees kept getting new exclusion lists, what exactly was so special about this deal since I really didn't pay to much attention to it after the first page and a half or so?

I mean, I understand the concept of getting money from one of these 39.99 or higher PSP games, but I guess a lot of you must have had the games that were not on the list and were willing to trade them in.

Guess I answered my own question there.[/QUOTE]

It was special because $13.33 is pretty good credit if you could find the right cheap game to tradein.

Plus, we were finding $5 (or less) games (Blockbuster, Best Buy, GS or EB itself) that were qualifying.

Spending $15 to get $40 in credit was pretty sweet.

I traded in a pile of old cheap games.

[quote name='schultzed']It was special because $13.33 is pretty good credit if you could find the right cheap game to tradein.

Plus, we were finding $5 (or less) games (Blockbuster, Best Buy, GS or EB itself) that were qualifing.

Spending $15 to get $40 in credit was pretty sweet.

I traded in a pile of old cheap games.[/QUOTE]

Yaeh, I tried finding games $5 or less or old games of mine but most were on the exclusion list anyway. Oh well. Glad others did well on this deal though.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Yaeh, I tried finding games $5 or less or old games of mine but most were on the exclusion list anyway. Oh well. Glad others did well on this deal though.[/QUOTE]

Most every game I traded in I got more than I paid for.

In fact, quite a few games I had gotten during the great Gamefly sale from a few months back. Most of those games were $8 - $10 shipped and I was getting $13.33 back from EB.

[quote name='WolfPac_Ite']I asked the Assistant Manager at an EB of mine yesterday, he looked through some binder and said they don't have any deal like that. :(,[/QUOTE]

well it did end last week...

Update: 4/16/05

Ths deal is now dead.
Go home... the party is over.

What's that? You wanna be the weird guy that hangs out after the party to talk about how cool the party was even though you were also the guy everyone at the party was trying to get away from?

Fine.... We'll say open for ya... BUT NO STICKY FOR YOU!

Thanks to everyone.... and don't forget.... now that you've gotten an entire library of PSP games for damn near free... don't forget to at least say hi to your DS once in a while.....

Your DS misses you....

Toodles!

bread's done
Back