Dealing with A-holes on craigslist

[quote name='Porksta']If your ad gets flagged, do you get an email stating it was flagged? Or only when it is removed?[/QUOTE]

It takes more than one flag to get removed. Craigslist won't say how many, there official statement is like "between 2 and 200", though they admit that factors that contribute to the number are:

Have you before submitted ads that got flagged?

What category?

You don't get an e-mail if you get ONE flag, but if your listing is "flagged off" you do.

[quote name='pfp']
You don't get an e-mail if you get ONE flag, but if your listing is "flagged off" you do.[/quote]

That was it, thanks.

the last time I got an email from one of those nigerian african fake check guys was about 3-4 weeks ago. Maybe the last one passed the message on to the rest of his kenyan buddies.

they know i'm to smart for their tricks

[quote name='starmask2k3']i really really HATE scammers..i got scammed for my really big PSP BUNDLE for 1500[/QUOTE]
Were you the buyer or the seller?

What was in the bundle that made it so expensive?

I think someone with to much time on their hands is emailing me with multiple accounts. Everyone is sending me offers but they never reply back.

Wish I knew who was messing with me :bomb:

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']I think someone with to much time on their hands is emailing me with multiple accounts. Everyone is sending me offers but they never reply back.

Wish I knew who was messing with me :bomb:[/quote]

LOL, are you selling something? Or is it in response to one of your "games wanted" ads?

Somebody posted an ad for a PS2 slim with about a dozen games, including The Guy Game, Final Fantasy VII, and Sonic Unleashed for about $160. I figured, if the guy was legit, those three games and the console could essentially pay for itself, and everything else would be trade fodder.

The guy chose to meet in probably the seediest part of Philadelphia I'd ever seen. The console looked alright, but the memory card he chose to include had teeth marks on it.

But the games? The Guy Game looked fine (though given the nature of the game, I probably should have used gloves when I took a look at it), but Sonic Unleashed was disc only. The real kicker was Final Fantasy VII, which was actually Dirge of Cerberus, effectively making the bundle worthless. The remaining games were mostly wrestling games from past years.

People aren't this stupid. What good is it to make deceptive claims in your ad when they're going to inspect the stuff eventually anyway?

They figure since you went all that way you'll still fork over the money so it's not a waste of time... but people have to be that stupid to think that.

I had the same problem when house shopping. People would take all these awesome pictures, but you'd get there and notice they just forgot to mention the moldy carpet, the holes in the walls or the spray paint on the floor. :roll: Yea, I'm going to promise to buy your $180k house site unseen just because it looked nice online...

I've sold a 360 and PS2 and I've bought Mass Effect and Bioshock for $12 each at asking price. I'm happy with it. Simply ignore the people you hate, it comes with the territory and try to be more patient by not relying on it.

[quote name='Renaissance 2K']Somebody posted an ad for a PS2 slim with about a dozen games, including The Guy Game, Final Fantasy VII, and Sonic Unleashed for about $160. I figured, if the guy was legit, those three games and the console could essentially pay for itself, and everything else would be trade fodder.

The guy chose to meet in probably the seediest part of Philadelphia I'd ever seen. The console looked alright, but the memory card he chose to include had teeth marks on it.

But the games? The Guy Game looked fine (though given the nature of the game, I probably should have used gloves when I took a look at it), but Sonic Unleashed was disc only. The real kicker was Final Fantasy VII, which was actually Dirge of Cerberus, effectively making the bundle worthless. The remaining games were mostly wrestling games from past years.

People aren't this stupid. What good is it to make deceptive claims in your ad when they're going to inspect the stuff eventually anyway?[/quote]

This is why I only meet people INSIDE a mall or other well lit area with LOTS of traffic.

As for The Guy Game, I don't think Ebay allows it to be sold anymore, since the problem with it was that the one girl in it was 17 when she bared all for the game.

Teeth marks on the memory card though? :lol: He must not have had a teething ring for his kid and decided to use the closest thing he could find.

[quote name='Ye0ldmario']I think someone with to much time on their hands is emailing me with multiple accounts. Everyone is sending me offers but they never reply back.

Wish I knew who was messing with me :bomb:[/quote]

Man, I get that all the time too, I was selling a cell phone a month ago and got like 9 or 10 offers in a row, all 5 dollars higher than the next. Not sure why someone would go out of there way to do that, but oh well.

The seller leads always go cold with complete silence. I've responded to some ads that are posted WITHIN MINUTES (like 5 minutes after it appears, thanks to my RSS reader), stating that i'm interested with a polite tone, my phone number, and making it clear that I have cash in hand. Same thing with wanted ads. Some stranger contacts me, says they have what I want, says they'll meet, then they either drop communication or never show. wth?? Oh well, keep your junk and I'll keep my money. You're the one who lost out.

My reply is met with silence. So I send another email the next day. Nothing (no calls either!). 5 days later, the ad gets REPOSTED. As if my reply just washed by them. Email problem? Unlikely. I've had tons of conversations as well as other craigslist transactions via email which all went fine without problems. It's like they have a mental disease to send "imaginary" offers to people wanting to purchase something, as well as post up stuff they "might" want to sell, but then an hour later, they say "eh i think i'm gonna keep this, look! an airplane!" and the ad stays up for months until it gets pruned off the server.

You get all types on craigslist, I guess..........the good deals to bad deals ratio is leaning more on the bad side for me, we'll see how things go this summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ye0ldmario']The seller leads always go cold with complete silence. I've responded to some ads that are posted WITHIN MINUTES (like 5 minutes after it appears, thanks to my RSS reader), stating that i'm interested with a polite tone, my phone number, and making it clear that I have cash in hand. Same thing with wanted ads. Some stranger contacts me, says they have what I want, says they'll meet, then they either drop communication or never show. wth?? Oh well, keep your junk and I'll keep my money. You're the one who lost out.

My reply is met with silence. So I send another email the next day. Nothing (no calls either!). 5 days later, the ad gets REPOSTED. As if my reply just washed by them. Email problem? Unlikely. I've had tons of conversations as well as other craigslist transactions via email which all went fine without problems. It's like they have a mental disease to send "imaginary" offers to people wanting to purchase something, as well as post up stuff they "might" want to sell, but then an hour later, they say "eh i think i'm gonna keep this, look! an airplane!" and the ad stays up for months until it gets pruned off the server.

You get all types on craigslist, I guess..........the good deals to bad deals ratio is leaning more on the bad side for me, we'll see how things go this summer.[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, what happens is that if it's a good deal, they don't remove the ad immediately and someone comes in and offers more money.

I use an addon for firefox, just do a search on the addons page for RSS. There's a few of them. Or you can use feedburner if you can find a copy of it online somewhere.

bread's done
Back