Dealing with (health) insurance companies?

Yoohoo1231

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
So here's my long ass story made short...
A friend of mine had a lung transplant 3 years ago and they're now starting to fail on her so she'll need to have another one. Problem is the current insurance provider she has won't cover her for a million reasons (she's too old for her parent's insurance, they make too much money, they don't live in the same state as the surgeon, insurance companies are greedy evil people...) So obviously, this doesn't look like a bright situation. I used to deal with fighting insurance companies when I worked in a medical office, but on a much smaller scale.
I've thought of trying the governor and some other small avenues like that, but I literally have no freakin' clue what I can really do to help her out. I figure there's lots of random knowledge floating around this board, so does anybody have any suggestions or ideas we could try?
Thanks.

[quote name='Yoohoo1231']So here's my long ass story made short...
A friend of mine had a lung transplant 3 years ago and they're now starting to fail on her so she'll need to have another one. Problem is the current insurance provider she has won't cover her for a million reasons (she's too old for her parent's insurance, they make too much money, they don't live in the same state as the surgeon, insurance companies are greedy evil people...) So obviously, this doesn't look like a bright situation. I used to deal with fighting insurance companies when I worked in a medical office, but on a much smaller scale.
I've thought of trying the governor and some other small avenues like that, but I literally have no freakin' clue what I can really do to help her out. I figure there's lots of random knowledge floating around this board, so does anybody have any suggestions or ideas we could try?
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Its an insurance company if they say no to her so they can make profits for the month. Then its a no, they won't cover it.

You could try a local fund raiser.

it really depends on the state. I see you live in CT, but if the insurance company usually says no, it's a no. But there may be certain things you can do.

the most obvious, of course, is to start up a fund. Another may be to see what charity resources are available with the insurance company.

and, as much as it sucks that they aren't covering, ask the insurance compny what to do. at the heart of it, appeal to their humanity and ask them what to do. i mean, you're not just gonna watch her deteriorate, right?

if they really make too much money, paying out of pocket and negotiating rates is another choice.

also, writing to politicians is not a small avenue, it can potentially be huge. my family wrote to a state senator regarding my aunt who had cancer to try to allow a emergency visa for her sister to help take care of her. the senator actually responded and got the visa.

so write away man. write to every every local mayor, councilman, senator, governor you can think of. trust me, it works.

good luck.

Thanks Puma. That actually gives me some hope that something may actually be able to happen. I guess I'll start writing away.

[quote name='Warner1281']Donate YOUR lung.[/QUOTE]

I actually would if could, but there's match issues and such. Plus that wouldn't solve the insurance issue.

bread's done
Back