Dear CAGs, may I use your shoulder for a second..?

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Kill him.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

After reading that laundry crap, kick him out. DO NOT WAFFLE ON THIS.

I went to my property manager today and paid her for his part (I dont need that crap going against me) and since she and I are decent friends I had her print me out a thing saying that my account had been charged the $75 and that my power will be cut off tomorrow by 5pm.

I went into his room and handed it to him, he hasn't said a word to me about it.

The main reason why I let him move in was he never gave his old roommate trouble about money, and I can handle someone being a little messy, so I didn't think he would be any trouble for me.

If everything's in your name and nothing's in his name, there's nothing that can be done against him. He'll continue to mooch until you boot him out.

I've dealt with this exact situation many many years ago, and I ended up taking it in the shorts over it. Rent, phone expenses, food, utilities and the like. I sued the other person in small claims court, and it ended up being pointless, as they left the state and pretty much disappeared. Cost me $1500 or the like, after I figured everything into it. They eventually left right before I kicked them out, so it ended up being a moot point, though they still stuck me over the costs.

You either have to put down some clear rules and clear lines of what's what, or you have someone that will walk over you in your generosity. If nothing's in their name, there's no penalty of their money not being applied to the bills, it's all on you and your credit rating.

The landlord will only go after you for missing parts of rent/utilities/whatever, not the moocher. If their name's not on the lease, they have no legal right to be there, as it ends up being a your word against theirs situation.

As senorwoohoo stated, he was in a very similar situation, and he eventually left the situation with his asshole roommate. Ended up being better in most ways, and not better in some ways.

You're working towards a really bad situation, again over being kind and generous to someone else. No one is saying you shouldn't be kind or generous, though in a situation where someone is taking advantage of you, you need to look out for yourself, as the moocher such as hell won't.

One place I recommend to find out your legal rights is the Nolo Press website, where they make more than a few books about renter's right, tenant law and landlord law. Website for renter's rights is right here:

http://www.nolopress.com/resource.cfm/catID/31250834-6A2E-4970-9EDD4DAF221A0C7E/104/138/

I suggest you take a look at and see what your options might be.

Not on the lease? Box his shit up and leave it outside. Change the locks, and leave a note telling the fucker he just got kicked out.

EDIT: Assuming, in your area, a person not on the lease technically has no residence there. Else, give him the 30 days notice, and take him to small claims court if he doesn't pay up.

The "person not on the lease not having residence" is dependent on state and city regulations, so you'd need to check with someone local in your area about the ability to boot them out of your place because they're not on the lease.

What's true in one state over that differs from another state. Here's what I found for SC's rules about renters and tenants:

http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t27c040.htm

Eviction rules for South Carolina:
http://www.rentlaw.com/eviction/sceviction.htm

Just pulled from some random Google searches, of course.

find out the local law in your area. In most area you can just give a notice right after the renter didnt pay.

And whatever you do dont throw out his stuff, and he can easily find a lawyer and can win a lawsuit

I think you should just pay all his bills and keep on being a nice guy, that way you'll save your soul.

Say whats your addy anyways and...have you got more room?

I have 6 different ways to kick him out (most are silly but doable)

1) Pack his shit on the curb, and tell him to get the fuck out. Basic.
2) Let him stay and don't ask for any money. But sell his shit to cover his share of costs.
3) Pack his shit on the curb, play the waiting to exhale soundtrack and burn all of his shit.
4) Let him stay, but act crazy as hell around him to get him to leave.
5) Pack his shit up, and get him back in his parents house.
6) Only If he is scared of commitment, ask him to marry you. He should run like hell!!

I would give him 30 days in writing and also cc it to someone who can act as a witness. Then wait it out. I think/hope you can survive 30 days.

Get a storage unit for your valuables too and lock your bedroom door if possible - this guy sounds like a vindictive asshole.

[quote name='camoor']I would give him 30 days in writing and also cc it to someone who can act as a witness. Then wait it out. I think/hope you can survive 30 days.

Get a storage unit for your valuables too and lock your bedroom door if possible - this guy sounds like a vindictive asshole.[/QUOTE]

I'm holding strong with him being out by next week.

He's extremely vindictive, that's why I honestly fear for my animals well being. I know that sounds over dramatic, but everyone knows that the way to get at me would be by hurting one of my animals...thankfully my other roommate doesn't work so he's home all the time (He's from England and since he's here on a student visa, they wont allow him to work) and can keep an eye on things while i'm at work.

What a pussy. My brother tried pulling the same shit on me a few years ago after my mom kicked him out. Everything was in my name since his credit was all messed up. He had a job and what not, but always had no money. After not paying me his first month of stuff, I warned him. Second month came and the same. I took a day off and put all his shit in a garbage bag and left it out on the staircase. Changed the locked too. Needless to say, he called the cops and guess who they sided with. Me! This was in NYC by the way. So he was homeless for a few days and one of my sisters took him in. He's OK now, but still. Stop being a big pussy and get it over with already.

We got into a major argument over last months rent because he said that he simply would not have it and then asked if I expected him to just pull the money out of his ass and that I was being a horrible friend for not being understanding to the fact that he was broke (he did eventually end up paying me for most of it, but not all).

This is where I stopped reading. Kick him out now or enjoy misery for as long as he lives with you. Guy is a major douche, super immature taboot.

edit: good work :)

i agree with the other Cags.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dealing-Roommates-2039/Evicting-roommate-1.htm

here is a question i found googling about evicting a roommate. You do have to give him 30 days but get an eviction form and you sign it as the landlord...because you are technically housing him so you technically kick him out. It also says call the fair houseing authority....they will help you even more to remedy the situation.

I hope all goes well for you. oh yeah File a restraining order on him if you worried bout the revenge factor.

I've had some bad houseguests/friends. You really need to be a hardass -- don't get emotional about it, either. People like that will defend their behavior by putting the spin on you and what a "jerk" you're being. Don't let it happen. It's not about you touching his clothes or (here was my excuse) only giving them a weeks notice to pay a bill (gee, what a surprise, the bills come the same time every month -- figure it out!) These bitches have mountains of excuses -- it's a lifestyle.

My "friend" had an amazing quote when we confronted him about the power bill,

"Look dude... I'm not a 'wizard." I don't live in a 'tower'. I can't magically conjure money for you."

Nip it in the bud. Be cordial and say, "hey it's not working out." be proactive, "i'm having people look at the room on July1st, please have the room vacated and clean."

if he's not out ON the first, write something along the lines of, "you were notified to move out on July 1st. It is now July 2nd. Move out immediately."

Change the locks and set his shit outside. Then go away for a couple days with your dogs and don't answer your cell.

Dont mean to bump this thread up, but wanted to give an update:

I was finally able to corner my roommate tonight and we talked. It actually went really well.

He told me that he was really broke and didnt have the money for anything, and I explained to him my financial bind too.

He also tried to tell me that I only told him about the bills a few days before they were due, so I simply reminded him the exact times when I had told him about certain bills and he would say, "Oh yeah..I do kind of remember that you mentioned something about that.."

So he's pretty much willingly going to pay me the money that he owes and move out on the 1st, so in the end this turned out to be a peaceful resolution and we're both content.

However, I have learned a lot from this experience and will never again be so lenient on a "friend" when it comes to certain things.

Jeez what a friend, you offer a helping hand and he ends up biting the shit out of it. Wait until he pays up, and then kick his ass to the curb.

bread's done
Back