DeathSpank sequel, Thongs of Virtue, out next month on XBLA/PSN

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Damn...and I'm still stuck on the first one. Can't beat that Demon Nanny! :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Yea. I had to level up a bunch and stock up on potions to get past that part.

Looking forward to this; although I did not expect it so soon. Cheers to some co-op action, hope they're able to keep the atmosphere w/ whatever changes they make. Can't wait. =]

Wow, possibly the quickest game sequel ever. Anyone know of anything with a quicker follow up?

I haven't played the first game yet. I will eventually, but waiting for a sale or bundle now. That sucks that your level does not carry over, but does that mean NOTHING carries over? With such close releases, and being a loot hoarding rpg, this game should have been linked to the first. If not by character levels, atleast with some plot elements, special items, customization, something. After ME1 and ME2, thats just lazy and backwards game development.

WTF that was quick. I thoroughly enjoyed the first one so I'll definitely try this one out. Disappointed that the levels don't carry over.

[quote name='Xenogears']Wow, possibly the quickest game sequel ever. Anyone know of anything with a quicker follow up?

I haven't played the first game yet. I will eventually, but waiting for a sale or bundle now. That sucks that your level does not carry over, but does that mean NOTHING carries over? With such close releases, and being a loot hoarding rpg, this game should have been linked to the first. If not by character levels, atleast with some plot elements, special items, customization, something. After ME1 and ME2, thats just lazy and backwards game development.[/QUOTE]
They just worked on the first and second games concurrently to take a gamble that it'll sell well enough to deserve a sequel, which it's sold over 100k already and is probably getting close to 200k by now.

The issue with carrying over weapons or the character is that there's nothing special about your character or the weapons you got compared to what anybody else has. The weapons were just the next step up in attack power or health for armor, so you ended up with mostly the same set of items unless you deliberately decided to play differently.

Not many RPGs actually support any kind of significant transfer system for character since most don't intend to go that deep into choices that are supposed to be that significant, so I don't know what you were expecting from this since they didn't promise any of that beforehand.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']They just worked on the first and second games concurrently to take a gamble that it'll sell well enough to deserve a sequel, which it's sold over 100k already and is probably getting close to 200k by now.

The issue with carrying over weapons or the character is that there's nothing special about your character or the weapons you got compared to what anybody else has. The weapons were just the next step up in attack power or health for armor, so you ended up with mostly the same set of items unless you deliberately decided to play differently.

Not many RPGs actually support any kind of significant transfer system for character since most don't intend to go that deep into choices that are supposed to be that significant, so I don't know what you were expecting from this since they didn't promise any of that beforehand.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I read they worked on the games together. Even with doing that, its still an extremely short time between installments. And I know that few games carryover stats, weapons, levels, anything. But when the games are being developed at the same time, released within 2 months of each other...Its SCREAMING to have carryover. And its just lazy of them not to. Even if weapons are similar, not unique, and not suited for carryover the developers made them this way. Knowing that they were making a loot hoarding RPG, with the same protagonist in 2 games to be released one after the other; it should no question have had somekind of carryover. Even a little bonus item

I don't think it's a slap in the face at all to anybody. They get more DeathSpank without having to wait nearly as long as Penny Arcade Adventures fans had to wait between the first two episodes (five months) before seeing that get canceled over a year later.

According to some quick research, other loot RPGs like Diablo/Diablo 2 don't support character transfers and Torchlight II probably won't since they're using new classes, so it's not like it's an expected feature for the genre when the two biggest names in the genre in recent memory don't have that feature. I get that it would be a nice feature if it's done right but you can't shoehorn that kind of thing into games. Even Mass Effect 2 had problems dealing with all of the complexities of that kind of feature.

Diablo is 13 years old, Diablo 2 is 10. 3 years inbetween, made before save continuity was really even considered as a game mechanic. Torchlight is closer, but like diablo its sequel has completely different characters. Thats very different than a modern game with the same main character, with 2 games being made in conjunction. If something didnt work with the save transfer, they had the oppurtunity to easily change it in game 1 and 2. Not many developers get that chance. But they took the easy way out, and avoided it all together. The deathspank crew had a perfect oppurtunity to implement save continuity bonus's, and they arn't even doing a token, thanks for playing both games little secret item from the sound of it.

As for save continuity being too complex for deathspank, the developers can make it as complex as they want and are willing to put time into. For this game, they decided on 0. At the least, they could have had some bonus hat or something, that you get for 100% on the first game, which doesn't affect gameplay at all, and let you take it into game 2. Just as a token for the 100% from game 1.

I'm not saying the games are bad or they are not delivering what they promised. But I, and i'm sure many other gamers are dissapointed that save continuity is not in the game. Especially given the huge opportunity these games had to do it right, given the simultaneous production and back to back release. Game 1: you save the world, congrats. Game 2: 2 months have past, all your weapons are gone, your back to level 1 do it all over again. Atleast the writers will probably think of some funny tongue in cheek joke reason as to why your starting all over.

bread's done
Back