Debates = Worthless?

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
link added: http://www.pbs.org/now/debate.html#

I saw a news report on PBS that was basically saying the current debate format is really more like a press conference than a debate.
There are many rules in place to ensure that the candidates are not "put on the spot" by the moderator or each other.
The Commission on Presidential Debates, the orginization that runs the debates, was setup by both the Republican and Democratic parties so that they could control exactly how the debates are run.
The debates used to be controlled by the League of Women Voters, but I guess the two major parties got tired of having their canditates have to think on their feet.

For more info: http://www.opendebates.org/

I heard on the news that the candidates aren't allowed to address each other. So much for a spirited "debate". :roll:

What the hell?

Being 'put on the spot' is what debates are all about.

I want too see how they fuck up, I mean react, under pressure.

Don't forget to watch the Daily Show afterward for an "analysis" of what was said, what should have been said, and who did the most damage :)

Yeah, the debates are essentially a huge press-conference... is anyone really suprised? These guys are not going to actually put themselves in a position where they could say the wrong thing in front of the entire country. It's sad that this is what our political system has become - commercials for each candidate, beyond just normal TV spots - debates = commercials - all ads = commercials - everything a politician says during an election is scripted and planned out - it's extremely sad.

[quote name='BigNick']Wow 4 posts, and no one has blamed Bush yet.[/quote]

A tad defensive, are we? Perhaps you should back another candidate, then.....

Have you heard the rules they have to follow? This is a joke, and I'm not going to watch them, I'll put on a DVD instead.

I wonder if we went back to previous elections if people said the same thing about thoses rules.

I don't know.

I'm glad I watched the first one last year. Though it wasn't a debate, it did elucidate the platforms a bit more, and (more importantly) it set up one of the greatest SNL skits of all time (for me), which wouldn't have been nearly as funny if I hadn't seen the debate.

Moderator: Can you sum up your campaigns in one word?
Bush: strategery
Gore: lockbox

Moderator:
Gore: At this point, I'd like to interrupt and answer that question as if it were my own.

[quote name='Backlash']I'm glad I watched the first one last year. Though it wasn't a debate, it did elucidate the platforms a bit more, and (more importantly) it set up one of the greatest SNL skits of all time (for me), which wouldn't have been nearly as funny if I hadn't seen the debate.

Moderator: Can you sum up your campaigns in one word?
Bush: strategery
Gore: lockbox

Moderator:
Gore: At this point, I'd like to interrupt and answer that question as if it were my own.[/quote]

Nothing beat the 92 SNL debates with Clinton, Bush and Perot.

Those were magic.

Current debates or more like side by side press conferences. It's more about putting your proposals out than debating logically points against each other. Political debates are much different than scholarly ones.

munch wrote:
Quote:
Wow 4 posts, and no one has blamed Bush yet.

I blame Bush!

Damn 12 posts! I figured someone would say because Bush is a moron and cant debate.

BUSH IS A MORON AND CAN'T DEBATE!!!

Yes but Bush speaks the same way as America, ignorant and having no clue about topics, or English for that matter. :)

Still, the debates are a joke because of both Bush and Kerry.

NADER! NADER! NADER! :D

[quote name='BigNick'][quote name='munch']
Wow 4 posts, and no one has blamed Bush yet.

I blame Bush![/quote]

Damn 12 posts! I figured someone would say because Bush is a moron and cant debate.[/quote]

Hey, I'll give Bush credit where it's due. The man has never lost a debate. He may not know specifics and may fumble his words, but he really can use the format to connect with people and advance his candidacy. Kerry's got an uphill battle, no doubt about it.

I would have loved to see Bush go up against Clinton in a debate. Clinton always knew all the slightest details of any policy yet still had the charisma to connect with people and not seem too wonkish. Bush connects well with people yet I doubt that he could explain any of his administrations policies if questioned.

Kerry really has to shine here and come off less stiff, THis is about his only chance to overcome all of the rumors set forth by the GOP add campaigns. I hope he can do it but because of the format I dont think it will happen, or at least it wont be easy. I wish many respected people would step up and say that thy're making a mockery of the debate process that served voters well for past centuries

The debates have gotten far to structured. Shouldn't the candidates be allowed to ask each other questions??? Of course they should.

This is the working of the two party system maintaining its duopoly on the American people. Shame on both of you!

[quote name='hutno'] I wish many respected people would step up and say that thy're making a mockery of the debate process that served voters well for past centuries[/quote]

If by "past centuries" you mean "since 1960" then yes.

bread's done
Back