Deciding a 32 inch HDTV?(graduation present :D )

david12795

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
I graduated this year from high school (class of 2010!) and I possibly might be getting a new tv after being stuck with an RF tv (the ones with no yellow, white, red input) since I was literally born. Personally, it looks fine playing on my ps3, but I am missing out and its time to upgrade! So i'll make this short and simple.

I'm looking for an 32 inch HDTV for my bedroom. My tv will be 5-6 feet away from where im sitting.

-Should I get a 720P or 1080p? My friend tells me to get a 1080p anyway even though I've heard that there's no difference between these due to close viewing distance and size.

-What other specs should I look into? I want a really good top notch tv while it is efficient. So what MHZ should I look into it? and other specs? I dont have quite the knowledge for these =/

-What brand should I get? I might roll with sammy due to it being the cheapest and known for quality.

I will using it mainly for ps3 (blu-ray/gaming) and wii.

forgot to mention the price preference! I am looking for something less than 450 and preferbly a mhz that is 120 (a friend told me it would be better)

-anddd should i stick to sam's club (because i have membership for that) or amazon since it is tax free??

At 32 inches the human eye cannot distinguish the difference between 720p and 1080p unless you are literally 1 foot away from the television. I'd save money and stick with 720p if you are only getting a 32 inch.

Samsung is good for LCD and Panasonic is good for plasma, so it's really up to the type of TV. Also, Sony tends to be overpriced (usually paying for the brand name).

If you really want sound advice, google "avs forum 32 inch... (etc)".

[quote name='antlp89']At 32 inches the human eye cannot distinguish the difference between 720p and 1080p unless you are literally 1 foot away from the television. I'd save money and stick with 720p if you are only getting a 32 inch.

Samsung is good for LCD and Panasonic is good for plasma, so it's really up to the type of TV. Also, Sony tends to be overpriced (usually paying for the brand name).

If you really want sound advice, google "avs forum 32 inch... (etc)".[/QUOTE]

i did. and apparently, i have to pay to find out what deals they have for hdtvs? =/

[quote name='autopiloton']Let me know how much the televisions you find with refresh rates in megahertz are ;).[/QUOTE]

refresh rates? im not quite on the same page you are....are u saying that i should look at the MHZ and see how it is displayed?

[quote name='CaptainJoel']If you want a nice cheap tv, I'd say go with the Dynex 32 inch 720p. It's gorgeous and it only cost me about $300 at BB.[/QUOTE]

Dynex? I will have to check that out,.

So any deals on tvs???

[quote name='david12795']i did. and apparently, i have to pay to find out what deals they have for hdtvs? =/
[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? AVSforum is a free website... though you do need to register to make threads/posts.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

Just go there and learn some stuff about resolution, refresh rates, etc. No need to read their reviews (since they're a mess). Use Amazon for reviews.

[quote name='Vinny']What are you talking about? AVSforum is a free website... though you do need to register to make threads/posts.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

Just go there and learn some stuff about resolution, refresh rates, etc. No need to read their reviews (since they're a mess). Use Amazon for reviews.[/QUOTE]

"You either have your default age view for this forum section set too low or
you have entered into an area that is for AVS Club Members only.

To check your default age view, enter into the USER CP and look under OPTIONS. (Using the default setting is best.)
To become an AVS Forum Club Member....CLICK HERE

Try using the controls below to search for any older posts that may exist."

I just ordered the Viore 22 inch LED LCD TV. Perfect for what I need ( I have a small room and a dorm next year) it was only $200 at amazon. Seems to be a great TV by the reviews, and its full 1080p, but we'll see how it looks when I get it.

[quote name='david12795']refresh rates? im not quite on the same page you are....are u saying that i should look at the MHZ and see how it is displayed?[/QUOTE]

I was just picking on you. It's hertz, not megahertz.

Pretty big difference :).

[quote name='autopiloton']I was just picking on you. It's hertz, not megahertz.

Pretty big difference :).[/QUOTE]

oops, i always see people say MHZ...so. :)

don't go with the GENERIC brands, Westinghouse, Sanyo, Elements, insiginia, Emerson, you get what you pay for

[quote name='Dendaman']On sale at BB, $450 32" Samsung:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...uId=9773985&st=32" samsung&contract_desc=null

720p/60Hz, but in all honesty if you're using RF connections for gaming (rofl), you're going to be blown away regardless.[/QUOTE]

thanks that seems like a good deal :D

sorry if i didnt reply to your other posts guys, CAg is acting weird when i tried to multi quote.

Is there a significant difference to the naked eye when viewing in a tv thats 60 hz vs. 120 hz?

there are some difference in terms of playing games but not too significant. I would go with something in the line of a samsung like the above poster. I have a 32 panasonic 720p with 60hz and it looks great when playing xbox360. Just buy a Hdmi cable from amazon and don't get the expensive ones from stores like Bestbuy since they are the same thing.

[quote name='bringerofdeath']there are some difference in terms of playing games but not too significant. I would go with something in the line of a samsung like the above poster. I have a 32 panasonic 720p with 60hz and it looks great when playing xbox360. Just buy a Hdmi cable from amazon and don't get the expensive ones from stores like Bestbuy since they are the same thing.[/QUOTE]

of course, i will get it from monoprice :p. but i do need to go to BB to check out the HZ and see if they show a difference to me

i was at the sony style store and i saw a sony bravia 32 inch 720p/60 hz for $404 and i saw another sony bravia 32 inch 720p/120 hz go for $700. wtf?!

you'll be hard pressed to find a 1080p 120 hz for around 450. last i checked, there's also no 720p sets with 120hz either. but then again, 120hz is, imo, a very useless feature. i have a 40 inch bravia z5100 with 240hz feature and i rarely use it, except maybe for watching planet earth. my gf has a 32 inch k series bravia. 720p 60 hz, totally fine.

I have a 37' 1080p Samsung, which I love. Paid about $750 for it. It has 60Hz, which I haven't had any problems with.

240Hz just looks weird to me, like everyone/thing moves .5x faster than normal.

my bedroom tv is the clearance westinghouse 32" 720p from best buy i picked up like 2 ish years ago for $275. Works/looks great. Don't blow a ton of money on a 32" tv....not worth it when the majority of tv's that size are the same shit with a different name on it. Also, all the extra things (1080p, crazy refresh rates, etc) are wasted on a tv that small. Go with the cheapest 720p set that didnt fall off the back of a truck and is made by Sany or Mognovax and you'll be fine.

Thanks you guys! So reading from the last few posts, i should go ahead and just pick up a 720p/60 HZ tv.

Although I havent compared the HZ yet, I will to determine which ones i like. But is 60 HZ recommended anyway since my tv will be 5-6 feet away from the viewing distance? I really wish I could go to BB and view the HZs now.

if you have an hh gregg near you they have a 32" samsung lcd for $400 starting friday. Pretty much the best deal you're going to see for a Samsung.

1080p on a 32" HDTV is nice if you're gonna hook up a computer to it. If you are also going to game, one thing to research about is input lag on a hdtv (not to be confused with response time). Not too many people seem to care or notice if a TV has high input lag, but it is something to look into especially if you're playing games that require precise timing.

TV's with 120Hz refresh rates are nice, but for some reason (haha...), TVs with that feature are more expensive. And, honestly, most people don't really notice any judder on a 60Hz panel unless you really look for it.

I have a 2009 model year Panasonic 32" (TC-L32S1) I bought off of Amazon earlier this year. It's quite nice...1080p, 60Hz, low input lag, IPS panel, 1 component, 3 hdmi inputs, etc., and the colors look good out of the box.

The 2010 model year of the 32" (TC-L32U22) looks to be pretty damn similiar. Both Best Buy and Amazon have it for $500.

[quote name='superdry']1080p on a 32" HDTV is nice if you're gonna hook up a computer to it. If you are also going to game, one thing to research about is input lag on a hdtv (not to be confused with response time). Not too many people seem to care or notice if a TV has high input lag, but it is something to look into especially if you're playing games that require precise timing.

TV's with 120Hz refresh rates are nice, but for some reason (haha...), TVs with that feature are more expensive. And, honestly, most people don't really notice any judder on a 60Hz panel unless you really look for it.

I have a 2009 model year Panasonic 32" (TC-L32S1) I bought off of Amazon earlier this year. It's quite nice...1080p, 60Hz, low input lag, IPS panel, 1 component, 3 hdmi inputs, etc., and the colors look good out of the box.

The 2010 model year of the 32" (TC-L32U22) looks to be pretty damn similiar. Both Best Buy and Amazon have it for $500.[/QUOTE]

thanks. and yes, they are expensive. but in this case,i was lucky and got it for cheap. i have not noticed any input lag on the tv but you know, you're right. i should test out some games that require precise timiing. maybe i will hook up my ps2 and play ddr. that is a perfect game to test out the input lag.

bread's done
Back